Lobster Rolls

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
2006/05/01 07:53:56 (permalink)

Lobster Rolls

The sandwich shown in today's restaurant picture is not what I would call a lobster roll. What is shown is lobster salad which should be served on a plate with a fork.

A real lobster roll is a New England roll (grilled) with big chunks of lobster in it and drizzled with lots of hot butter!

44 Replies Related Threads

Ashphalt
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2006/05/01 10:30:39 (permalink)
    It's odd to me that lobster roll seems to have become something that is pure lobster. In my New England childhood of the 60s-70s the lobster salad roll was more common. The buttered version typically appeared at roadside vendors, usually on the Maine Coast, with little or no refrigeration and that was considered a gamble.

Personally, if I want buttered lobster bread is just in the way.
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 1968
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2006/05/01 10:38:56 (permalink)
    IMO it isn't worth the fight! I'll take one of each! The Maine Diner, IMO one of the best, offers both. I think that I prefer the cold though, because it is a little easier to eat with out having to change my shirt afterwards.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18346
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2006/05/01 11:43:31 (permalink)
    In my Southern New England childhood, long before the '60s and '70s, the only lobster roll was a hot one dripping with butter. Anything else was just weird.
    WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2006/05/01 12:45:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

In my Southern New England childhood, long before the '60s and '70s, the only lobster roll was a hot one dripping with butter. Anything else was just weird.

Yea, and in the 60s and 70s that's the only way I remember them. . . mostly at roadside stands. Ordered a "lobster roll" in Boston a while back and got the cold mayo variety. Pizzed me off.
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 1968
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2006/05/01 13:11:21 (permalink)
    It pays to ask, because here in the middle of New England, an order for a "lobster roll" will generally get you a lobster SALAD roll.
    Cakes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2006/05/01 13:24:50 (permalink)
    I like my lobster rolls with beans, Miracle Whip,and a combination of Hunts, Delmonte, Heinz, and house brand katsup.

Cakes

roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2006/05/01 16:41:56 (permalink)
    It seems 99% of the time, a lobster roll means lobster "salad"...I would much rather have the hot one with the butter, but to tell you the truth, the 3 1/2 years I spent in Massachusetts and Maine, I never came across one that offered it warm with the butter.
    jvsmom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2006/05/01 17:16:04 (permalink)
    I had a lobster roll the other night from a place called Nocera's - south of Boston - It was a hot grilled & buttered roll, but the lobster was lobster salad, with a layer of lettuce underneath. Even though it was "lobster salad," there was quite an abundance of meat - I'd definitely recommend it if one was so inclined.

HOWEVER, I have never had the hot variety of lobster roll, and have been dying to try one. So I melted my own butter and poured a little on top. (It was take-out - I didn't attempt this at the restaurant) I would have tried heating the whole thing up, but with the mayo I figured it wouldn't work.

Have to say it wasn't bad. But it did make me yearn to try the real thing.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7738
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2006/05/01 17:55:40 (permalink)
    I remember that the Sterns indicated in one of their old Road Food books that the Warm Lobster Rolls drenched in butter can be found on the Connecticut Shore while the Cold Lobster Salad Rolls are more of a Maine Thing. I'm going to pull out one of the old books and see if I can find this reference
    Ashphalt
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2006/05/01 18:53:30 (permalink)
    Thanks Wanderingjew, it would be interesting to hear what you turn up. That would jive with my RI/Cape Cod/South Coast/Maine recollections.

My only point was that the all lobster meat, or buttered lobster meat variety seems to have been gaining popularity in the past 10 or so years. IMHO both are lobster rolls, but if you expect one type you'd better make sure that's what's offered.

And having spent a year eating free lobster on a weekly basis, I'll take my buttered lobster "on the hoof." (And I really have a hard time paying $14 for a roll.) Once it's out of the shell I'd like to have the meat prepared in an appropriate recipe, even a salad.
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1509
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2006/05/01 19:10:34 (permalink)
    I've never had either.. but I would tend towards the lobster salad roll, since I've never liked hot butter with seafood for some reason... plus.. it's summertime.. I don't want hot food.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2006/05/01 19:58:30 (permalink)
    There's nothing "inappropriate" about warm chunks of lobster swimming in butter on a grilled split top hot dog roll. It has always been my impression that once you get out of Connecticut "lobster roll" means ,lobster salad on a grilled split top roll, and the warm buttered type is relatively unusual outside the Connecticut area.

What the Hell, They're both great- I've never had one I didn't like- and , yes, the price is getting to be exorbitant, but that wont stop me from eating them.

Cheers, John
    CoastFan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2006/05/01 21:44:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    I remember that the Sterns indicated in one of their old Road Food books that the Warm Lobster Rolls drenched in butter can be found on the Connecticut Shore

You betcha. A "long time ago' blurb in a "Good Food & Road Food" book talked about a place called "Abbotts" on the CT shore. It made an impression on me as a "one of these days I sure need to visit there" kind of place.

A few of years ago while in CT on business, I finally got the chance to try an Abbotts Lobster Roll. It was fantastic.

They put about 1/4 to 1/3 lb of lobster meat on a toasted and buttered roll. No mayo, no chopped bell peppers, no onions. Just lots of lobster on that roll.

If I'm ever back that way again, that's one Roadfood place I'll be stopping at.
    RC51Mike
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 443
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2006/05/02 07:57:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

What the Hell, They're both great- I've never had one I didn't like- and , yes, the price is getting to be exorbitant, but that wont stop me from eating them.

That's how we feel about it. When we are in NE, we get them at just about any opportunity, hot or cold, butter or mayo. Some are cheaper, some are a better value but you only live once so we don't complain about the price. Come to think of it, we never complain about the cost of seafood.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15214
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2006/05/02 08:07:33 (permalink)

Going back a few years (43 years) to my days of working the grill and fryers at HoJo's, I recall that the restaurant served only the Hot Buttered Lobster Chunks in a buttered and grilled split-top Frankfurt roll. The location was 25 miles north of Boston, 10 miles south of the New Hampshire line (on Rt 95). Kind of a "No Man's Land" between the chunks on the South and the Salads on the North!!
    Michael Stern
    • Total Posts : 1031
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2006/05/02 09:18:05 (permalink)
    Here is what we know about lobster rolls (taken from a sidebar in our forthcoming "America's 101 Best Sandwiches"):

A lobster roll makes lobster eating easy. No cracking of the shell, no sucking, poking, or picking to get at the meat. Just hoist the bun and enjoy: lobster-lover's heaven!

Lobster rolls are uncomplicated sandwiches, basically lobster meat surrounded by bread. Meat quality is of paramount concern. You want it freshly cooked and just extracted from the shell, and you want a good mix of tail meat, which is juicy and resilient, and claw meat, which is tender. Most lobster rolls are made in a New England-style hot dog bun that splits apart at the top and has flat sides that can be toasted in a film of butter on a short-order grill. Some are served wrapped in wax paper, others in little cardboard boats that tend to squeeze the sides together, like the action of a push-up brassiere, causing the bun to bulge, forcing the meat upward and making it appear more abundantly endowed than it really is. Sometimes the meat is on a bed of lettuce, which can seem like padding but also can serve the admirable purpose of keeping the moist lobster meat from sogging the bun.

The big issue among lobster roll connoisseurs is: hot or cold? The cold lobster roll is the time-honored Maine-coast way of doing it: lobster meat bound with mayonnaise and bits of celery loaded into a bun that may or may not be toasted. But in 1929 Harry Perry of Milford, Connecticut, came up with something different. To please a lobster-loving customer at his seafood shack on the Post Road, Perry created the hot lobster roll: nothing but warm picked meat bathed in butter and cosseted in a bun. It was such a success that Perry's shack soon sported a sign boasting that it was Home of the Famous Lobster Roll and his ridiculously rich creation became what Connecticut Magazine editor Charles Monagan has called "Connecticut's greatest contribution to the world of regional cuisine."

Warm lobster rolls tend to be impossible to eat, start to finish, without major sandwich disintegration. That is because the best of them contain meat that is sopped with warm melted butter that makes your chin and hands glisten; and by the time you are halfway through, the bun itself has become so buttery that it starts to fall apart. This is a problem only if you haven't planned ahead and taken your bites over a paper plate or other good catch-all surface from which you can pick buttery, lobstery pieces of bread to conclude the meal.

Today you still find more hot lobster rolls in Connecticut than Downeast along the coast, but the warm luxury of Mr. Perry's creation has made its way to menus all along Yankee shores.
    RC51Mike
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 443
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2006/05/02 10:44:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    others in little cardboard boats that tend to squeeze the sides together, like the action of a push-up brassiere, causing the bun to bulge, forcing the meat upward and making it appear more abundantly endowed than it really is.

Alright Stern, that's enough of the smutty descriptions on this board. Any more of that and you're banned.

Mmmmm, lobster roll brassiere
    Ashphalt
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2006/05/02 10:58:55 (permalink)
    I miss those little open-ended cardboard barges. I'm sure I could really get in trouble if I said a hot dog is best served in one.

Thanks, Mr. Stern, for cultural history.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2006/05/02 10:59:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Stern

Here is what we know about lobster rolls (taken from a sidebar in our forthcoming "America's 101 Best Sandwiches"):

A lobster roll makes lobster eating easy. No cracking of the shell, no sucking, poking, or picking to get at the meat. Just hoist the bun and enjoy: lobster-lover's heaven!

Lobster rolls are uncomplicated sandwiches, basically lobster meat surrounded by bread. Meat quality is of paramount concern. You want it freshly cooked and just extracted from the shell, and you want a good mix of tail meat, which is juicy and resilient, and claw meat, which is tender. Most lobster rolls are made in a New England-style hot dog bun that splits apart at the top and has flat sides that can be toasted in a film of butter on a short-order grill. Some are served wrapped in wax paper, others in little cardboard boats that tend to squeeze the sides together, like the action of a push-up brassiere, causing the bun to bulge, forcing the meat upward and making it appear more abundantly endowed than it really is. Sometimes the meat is on a bed of lettuce, which can seem like padding but also can serve the admirable purpose of keeping the moist lobster meat from sogging the bun.

The big issue among lobster roll connoisseurs is: hot or cold? The cold lobster roll is the time-honored Maine-coast way of doing it: lobster meat bound with mayonnaise and bits of celery loaded into a bun that may or may not be toasted. But in 1929 Harry Perry of Milford, Connecticut, came up with something different. To please a lobster-loving customer at his seafood shack on the Post Road, Perry created the hot lobster roll: nothing but warm picked meat bathed in butter and cosseted in a bun. It was such a success that Perry's shack soon sported a sign boasting that it was Home of the Famous Lobster Roll and his ridiculously rich creation became what Connecticut Magazine editor Charles Monagan has called "Connecticut's greatest contribution to the world of regional cuisine."

Warm lobster rolls tend to be impossible to eat, start to finish, without major sandwich disintegration. That is because the best of them contain meat that is sopped with warm melted butter that makes your chin and hands glisten; and by the time you are halfway through, the bun itself has become so buttery that it starts to fall apart. This is a problem only if you haven't planned ahead and taken your bites over a paper plate or other good catch-all surface from which you can pick buttery, lobstery pieces of bread to conclude the meal.

Today you still find more hot lobster rolls in Connecticut than Downeast along the coast, but the warm luxury of Mr. Perry's creation has made its way to menus all along Yankee shores.

Michael, I steered Monagan to Perry's granddaughter for his Connecticut magazine story.
    Michael Stern
    • Total Posts : 1031
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2006/05/02 12:30:04 (permalink)
    quote:

Michael, I steered Monagan to Perry's granddaughter for his Connecticut magazine story.

I was wondering how he tracked that down! Who remembers what Perry's lobster rolls were like?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2006/05/02 12:58:29 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

I was wondering how he tracked that down! Who remembers what Perry's lobster rolls were like?

I do. When I was just a little kid my family would stop at Perry's on the way to our cottage at Laurel Beach. They used regular hotdog buns, sometimes buttered and toasted on a griddle -- sometimes not -- then filled with chunks of lobster that was kept warm in butter. Perry's was on the corner where we'd turn off the Post Road to get to the beach.
    mjuhre
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2006/10/29 01:18:09 (permalink)

I found this post while seeking out any evidence I could find on Harry Perry's lobster roll, outside the family lore -- my wife is the great grandaughter of Harry Perry and we have a sign in our kitchen that used to hang in his Milford restaurant. It's a portrait of Harry Perry, along with the story of how (but not exactly when) he invented the lobster roll. Since I'm originally from NY state, I'm one of those who always thought a lobster roll as being the cold, lobster salad roll.

Now, I've poked around further and discovered the great books you and your wife have. I'm something of an American food-culture freak myself -- http://culturefreak.com/essays_main.html -- sometime after the wall of history books from my doctoral program subsides (maybe around December), I'll have to check some of them out. I see you are writing a forthcoming book that mentions lobster rolls. If you'd like any more info on the Perry lobster roll, Harry Perry's daughter-in-law (my wife's grandmother) may know more, and I could see what I could find out.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2006/10/31 15:52:19 (permalink)
    Now.. this is a real lobster roll!
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5550
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2006/11/01 11:21:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by roossy90

Now.. this is a real lobster roll!

that's at the Sage American Grill. It's $18.95

personally, I like it when the claws are left intact, instead of chopped up in the other picked meat so that the picked meat is on the bottom, with the claws sitting on top.

more like this (except, the rolls and fries look much much better in your pic)
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2006/11/04 12:58:34 (permalink)
    Gawd.... they both look good to me, and I agree with the whole meat, as opposed to cutting it up.
    Shoot.... I need to buy a lobster and make my own.
    I think I might even still have some New England style rolls in the freezer. I hope so....Now I must go look!
    FrankBooth
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2006/11/04 13:56:25 (permalink)
    all this talk of lobster rollz makes me salivate for this:

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Photo.aspx?RefID=2959&PhotoID=6336

Red's is the definitive- so much fresh lobster meat- really can't be beat- hot or cold, red's wins in freshness everytime! CT has some nice lobster rollz, but if i'm in CT i'm eating abeetz and not so much lobstas- bacon pie from sally's, bacon pie from pepe's, etc.- Maine has many amazing lobster rollz, but Red's shuts it down- if i can figure out how to post a picture i'll post my last meal at red's from early september - 2 GORGEOUS honking big fresh dreamy lobster rollz overflowing with meat- red's lobster meat is so fresh it barely needs butter- one tiny drizzle down the center and you are good- the roll is warm, the lobster is cold and SO fresh you can till taste the sea water it was cooked in! man i want one right now- oh well, have to wait till the spring... Bob's clam hut in Kittery ME has a nice jumbo lobster roll, very fresh, and is open all year around- i guess i'll have to settle for that... enjoy frank
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2006/11/05 03:52:38 (permalink)
    to save others from clicking the link.. I will post that beautiful pic of a lobster roll.
    Yes.. Thank you Frank for posting that link...
    Here is the photo you are referring to.
    Oh yum, heaven on earth for sure!
    No mayo.. no celery, no extra BS in the roll.
    Just LOBSTAH!..... As a true roll should be!
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5550
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2006/11/06 00:25:09 (permalink)
    good god. I have eaten my monitor!

is there a doctor in the house?

roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2006/11/07 20:28:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

good god. I have eaten my monitor!

is there a doctor in the house?

It is a thing of beauty, isnt it?
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1