Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
acornlover
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 394
2004/05/13 19:39:48 (permalink)

Lobster Rolls

Hello!
This may an old subject, but I am on a quest for the perfect "Lobster Roll" I live in New England and and have been trying these rolls at every "Roadfood" place I try. Here are some of my experiences:

Denmos- awful, rubbery,cold lobster the only good thing was the roll

Glenwood, Hamden Ct- I have not tried this yet, my daughter goes to school in Hamden, should I try this on my next trip?

Haraseeket Lobster, Freeport, ME- beautiful setting, ok roll

Chauncey Creek Lobster, Kittery, ME- pretty good, served on hamburg type roll, location was so nice

Sea Basket-Wiscasset, ME Really good lobster, different homemade roll, ICEBERG lettuce roll, fresh and tasty(I have not tried Red's yet because the lines are TOO LONG, this summer I'll call ahead)

Sarah's-Wiscasset, ME Ok, homemade roll was nice, the specialty here are AMAZING soups and homemade breads

Cooleen's Clam bar rt 130 Wiscasett, ME-a new place owned by former New Yorkers, good lobster, but "fancy" lettuce I took off and asked for melted butter, nice people , I will go back

Shaw's New Harbor ME: pretty good, I prefer the shore dinner here

Now last night we went to (although not roadfood)"Summer Shack" in Cambridge, and the lobster roll had cucumber, scallions and "Fancy" lettuce, YUK, I was very dissapointed, the roll was toasted and not grilled, but, the oysters were EXCELLENT and service great.

Kelly's- Natck, MA Ok ,I'd rAther have roast beef and FRENCH FRIES!

An Aside- the '99' makes a passable lobster roll

On with my quest!
Kathy

106 Replies Related Threads

seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2004/05/14 10:11:59 (permalink)
    Kathy: Are you asking about both types of lobster roll? The cold salad and the warm lobster and butter, or are you only looking for the warm type?

As for me I love them both. It seems to me that as one travels further 'down east" the cold salad type becomes more frequent and by the time we are in Nova Scotia the warm buttered lobster roll has almost entirely disappeared.

We consider Abbot's in Noank, CT the standard against which all warm buttery lobster rolls should be measured. They may not be the greatest, but we've never found any better !
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18390
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2004/05/14 10:52:48 (permalink)
    Johnny Ad's in Old Saybrook, Lenny and Joe's in Westbrook and Madison, Flanders Fish Market in East Lyme, and Chick's and Jimmies in West Haven all have absolutely wonderful lobster rolls -- the Connecticut variety, with hot buttered lobster, not some salad.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2004/05/14 19:44:38 (permalink)
    Yankee Lobster Fish Market on Northern Ave. in Boston makes a KILLER lobster roll....the salad style, but VERY little mayo and lots of lobster. Fabulous crab rolls and clam rolls and fish 'n chips. The clam chowdah and lobster bisque are awesome too!
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2004/05/14 21:21:46 (permalink)
    I'm headed for Yankee lobster fish Market as soon as possible...
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15245
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2004/05/14 22:24:51 (permalink)
    I'd hold out for the Abbott's style Hot Buttered Lobster Roll. Unique and as messy as a cheesesteak..but a Great handfull of flavor !!
    Jennie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 389
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2004/05/21 13:35:48 (permalink)
    My mother spent her grad school internship in Maine, and on a recent visit, tried to find a good lobster roll to relive her 1960s experience.

The restaurant in Camden, ME (she doesn't recall the name) had a very disappointing lobster roll. She says it just consisted of chopped up lobster, and they were offered either mayo or butter to put on it.

However, in Boston, just before they got back on the plane, they went to Legal Seafood and she had a much better lobster roll. She said it was a wonderful salad, and huuuge. Almost like a whole lobster in the thing. But it was so big, you couldn't pick it up. It had to be eaten with a knife and fork, which she'd never had to do before.

She also noted that she's never heard of lobster rolls being served warm.

Jennie
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2004/05/21 17:23:31 (permalink)
    That confirms my observation that the more "down east" one travels the more cold lobster salad is served as the lobster roll. While, i'll defer to to people on these forums more familiar with Maine than I, I think you'll probably find more lobster salad than warm buttered lobster any place past the Portland area.
    boulderben
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2004/05/26 19:25:12 (permalink)
    I worked in a small restaurant/gallery just north of Bar Harbor, ME, and ate a lot of lobster rolls up and down the coast, all of which were cold. Just fresh-picked lobster mixed with mayo on a lightly toasted, buttered roll is the way to go.
    boulderben
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2004/05/26 19:51:01 (permalink)
    By the way, when travelling down east Maine, a roadside stand not to miss is "Jordan's", just ouitside of Ellsworth on the way to Acadia's Schoodic Penninsula. The fried whole belly clams are their specialty, but everything is good; always a line.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2004/05/26 20:31:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by boulderben

I worked in a small restaurant/gallery just north of Bar Harbor, ME, and ate a lot of lobster rolls up and down the coast, all of which were cold. Just fresh-picked lobster mixed with mayo on a lightly toasted, buttered roll is the way to go.

Hey, no one would suggest that there's anything wrong with lobster salad. Just call it what it is. Don't try to tell people it's a lobster roll.
    BBQ Barney
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 161
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2004/05/26 21:08:27 (permalink)
    Help a midwesterner-- we've had great "lobster rolls" at The Clam Shack" in Kennebunkport, several spots around Acadia, Harraseeket in S. Freeport and others----each was lobster, bun and a little or no mayo. While butter was available in some venues, we always thoughtwe were eating lobster rolls, not lobster salad. Is this a CN thing (where we need to visit and learn)?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2004/05/26 21:25:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BBQ Barney

Help a midwesterner-- we've had great "lobster rolls" at The Clam Shack" in Kennebunkport, several spots around Acadia, Harraseeket in S. Freeport and others----each was lobster, bun and a little or no mayo. While butter was available in some venues, we always thoughtwe were eating lobster rolls, not lobster salad. Is this a CN thing (where we need to visit and learn)?

Throughout most of New England a lobster roll is a bun with cold lobster, usually mixed with mayonnaise and sometimes celery and other salad stuff. Back in the late 1930s, at a place called Perry's on the Boston Post Road (U.S. 1) in Milford, Connecticut, the hot lobster roll was born. It consisted of lobster meat heated in butter and placed in a buttered and grilled frankfurter bun. Real lobster roll eaters know that this is the true lobster roll, and that, while cold lobster with mayonnaise can be a very nice salad, it is not a lobster roll.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2004/05/26 22:16:45 (permalink)
    Having read Michael Hoffman's mesages for along time now I bow to his wide knowledge of things edible and his generosity in sharing that lore with us. But, thems both Lobster Rolls - one's cold and one's warm,and theyr'e both damn good - 'though I prefer the warm one.

Maybe we ought to call the cold one a "Lobster Salad Roll" and reserve the title, "Lobster Roll" for the warm one ?
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2004/05/27 00:10:28 (permalink)
    growing up in Massachsetts the grandson of an italian fishermen, we ate "lobster rolls" ---cold,with mayo and a bit of celery all my life. If the fisherman called a lobster roll---its a lobster roll! The hot ones with butter were still lobter rolls. When the cold one was served on anything other then a toasted top split roll--it stopped being a lobster roll and became lobster salad. They were ALL good!
    dbear
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2004/05/27 00:44:33 (permalink)
    I'd rather eat either kind of lobster roll than almost any food other than central texas bbq. I've had both hot and cold from all over the coast of N.E. for most of my life, and have no preference, but I had no idea there was a terminology issue. Eat and enjoy whichever kind is available wherever you are! Remember, the rest of the country doesn't have this issue; lucky us.
    db
    Lucky Bishop
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2004/05/27 01:14:22 (permalink)
    People are forgetting the key issue here. The main word isn't "lobster," it's "roll." When it's served on a split and toasted J.J. Nissen hot dog bun, THEN it's a lobster roll. It doesn't matter how the lobster is prepared -- I won't turn down either preparation -- but the further the roll is from being a standard supermarket hot dog bun, the less you can call it a lobster roll.
    jevmass
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2004/05/27 04:39:14 (permalink)
    Try the Raw Bar in Mashpee, MA. Just lobster and mayo - bring your appetite. Open April to November...
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2004/05/27 09:51:44 (permalink)
    Amen on the need for a JJNissen or close clone type roll. We've had some strange rolls served to us in the Maritimes - some pretty good, some awful, but none as good as the JJs for this particular use.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2004/05/27 10:21:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

People are forgetting the key issue here. The main word isn't "lobster," it's "roll." When it's served on a split and toasted J.J. Nissen hot big bun, THEN it's a lobster roll. It doesn't matter how the lobster is prepared -- I won't turn down either preparation -- but the further the roll is from being a standard supermarket hot dog bun, the less you can call it a lobster roll.

absolutly!!! ---fact is ANYTHING served on a toasted Nissen bun is better! Without that roll there is no lobster roll no matter how you dress it! and a clam roll is a small side of clams! Even the most pedestrian super market hot dog boiled to warm is transformed when surrounded with a Nissen bun,buttered and grilled! I admit--i'd pay a pretty penny for them if could get them here in Oklahoma!But aslas--
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2004/05/27 10:27:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

Having read Michael Hoffman's mesages for along time now I bow to his wide knowledge of things edible and his generosity in sharing that lore with us. But, thems both Lobster Rolls - one's cold and one's warm,and theyr'e both damn good - 'though I prefer the warm one.

Maybe we ought to call the cold one a "Lobster Salad Roll" and reserve the title, "Lobster Roll" for the warm one ?

Excellent idea!

All this talk about lobster rolls has cost me some money. I could not stand it any longer. I went out this morning and bought two lobsters, both of which are now in my refrigerator awaiting a warming steam bath preparatory to being picked for my lobster roll dinner tonight.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2004/05/27 10:49:51 (permalink)
    Mr. Hoffman,
    Do you want company for dinner???? I could be tempted..........
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2004/05/27 10:52:33 (permalink)
    Fly on down. I'll go get a couple more lobsters and another package of split-top buns.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2004/05/28 09:19:42 (permalink)
    Update time. I did go out and get another lobster, but no one showed up for dinner last night. So, I used one lobster to make myself four lobster rolls, hot and drenched in butter, and stuffed into top-sliced hotdog buns. But, as I then had two more bugs left, I steamed the second one and picked the meat. The I cleaned the third, stuffed it with the lobster meat from the second, mixed with tomalley, coral and breadcrumbs, and baked it. My, my, my! Oh so good.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2004/05/28 09:44:09 (permalink)
    Michael: I was shocked when my new bride sat down and ate two lobsters for dinner way back in 1959. But, four lobster rolls, and two more lobsters is really the measure of a trencherman! Your'e right up there with Diamond Jim Brady who was said to have started ameal with 12 dozen oysters. Congratulations on your fine meal !

cheers, John
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2004/05/28 10:21:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

Michael: I was shocked when my new bride sat down and ate two lobsters for dinner way back in 1959. But, four lobster rolls, and two more lobsters is really the measure of a trencherman! Your'e right up there with Diamond Jim Brady who was said to have started ameal with 12 dozen oysters. Congratulations on your fine meal !

cheers, John

Thank you. I'm not hungry so far today.

Funny you should mention your new bride and two lobsters. The first time my soon-to-be wife met my mother and father it was over a shore dinner at a restaurant called Ap's in West Haven, Connecticut. They were slightly surprised when she polished off steamers, chowder, Broiled, stuffed twin lobsters and french fries.
    DaveM
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 353
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2004/05/28 12:53:02 (permalink)
    from the Maine Diner menu:
    FRESH MAINE LOBSTER ROLL $ 13.95
    THE DALE ARNOLD $ 13.95
    ...This is our famous Hot Lobster Roll. Fresh lobster meat is heated and served in a grilled roll with a side of drawn butter. Dale, of WEEI Sports Radio in Boston, regularly orders this unique version of a Maine Lobster Roll.
    LOBSTER SALAD $ 14.95
    ...A Jumbo Salad with a generous 5 oz. portion of fresh picked lobster meat. Specify with or without mayonnaise.
    and today's special:
    Friday: Lobster Stew with Biscuit $ 11.95
    Truth be told, if your restaurant is popular, they will serve you lobster any way you like it.

lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2004/05/28 13:10:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Update time. I did go out and get another lobster, but no one showed up for dinner last night. So, I used one lobster to make myself four lobster rolls, hot and drenched in butter, and stuffed into top-sliced hotdog buns. But, as I then had two more bugs left, I steamed the second one and picked the meat. The I cleaned the third, stuffed it with the lobster meat from the second, mixed with tomalley, coral and breadcrumbs, and baked it. My, my, my! Oh so good.

Oh you are cruel for posting that!! I'm drooling cuz I haven't had lobster since I left Yankee Lobster and that was over a year ago!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2004/05/28 14:23:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Oh you are cruel for posting that!! I'm drooling cuz I haven't had lobster since I left Yankee Lobster and that was over a year ago!

You can't get Homarus americanus there? Heck, if I'd known that I'd have picked up a couple more to eat for you.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Lobster Rolls 2004/05/28 15:08:33 (permalink)
    We can occasionaly get the noble Homarus americanus here, but only in one specialty Japanese store. After working for a lobster company and taking lobster meat home to throw on top of a salad, or providing me and my friends with a meal of bugs, got me spoiled. Spending 40 bucks for two chicken lobsters here just irks me!! So yes, please pick up a couple more and enjoy them for me! GGGGGRRRRRR!
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1