Lobster Stew!

Author
krwood
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
2004/01/09 11:56:29 (permalink)

Lobster Stew!

I lovelobster stew! Where can I get a good bowl of stew at. I used to get it at Aunt Catfish in Daytona Beach,Fl but i don't think they make any more.

The best candle Ive ever smelled!
http://www.krwood.scent-team.com/

14 Replies Related Threads

seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Lobster Stew! 2004/01/09 13:23:32 (permalink)
    A couple of suggestions: TheGrand Central Oyster Bar in NYC.
    Harrison's on the inlet, Ocean City , MD.. They both make an "oyster pan roast" which is actually a kind of stew cooked in a special steam heated device behind the raw bar. Also had a good oyster stew in Cedar Key, FL but cant remember the place. .
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Lobster Stew! 2004/01/09 13:24:41 (permalink)
    Sorry, just reread your message and it was lobster you were asking about...
    oldfrt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 269
    RE: Lobster Stew! 2004/01/09 18:35:38 (permalink)
    Crab Bisque rules! Lobster needs to eaten "as is" with a ton of butter and not with a lot of other flavors that negate the original lobster flavor IMHO.

Just my 2 cents!

Don
    oldfrt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 269
    RE: Lobster Stew! 2004/01/09 18:38:25 (permalink)
    KRWOOD, sounds like a ad here unless you suggest putting candles in the Stew!

Don
    krwood
    Junior Burger
    RE: Lobster Stew! 2004/01/09 21:08:31 (permalink)
    I used to have lobster stew at aunt Catfish in daytona beach,fl. I don't think they sell it any more. It was the best it came in a little iron kettle. It was like butter, cream and lobster! Awesome!
    krwood
    Junior Burger
    RE: Lobster Stew! 2004/01/10 15:21:39 (permalink)
    I found a recipe!

JFK Lobster Stew
    Recipe courtesy Lidia Shire, restaurant Lock-ober, Boston
    Ingredients
    6 live 1-pound lobsters
    8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter
    1 cup dry Sherry (either amantillado or fino), plus 1/2 cup
    6 cups whole milk
    2 cups heavy cream
    1/4 teaspoon paprika
    Salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    Chopped fresh parsley

Directions
    Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Plunge the lobsters head
    first into the boiling water, in batches, if necessary, and cook, covered, for 5 minutes. Transfer
    the lobsters with tongs to a large bowl filled with ice water to cool. When the lobsters are cool
    enough to handle, crack the shells, remove the tail and claw meat, and coarsely chop. Reserve the

krwood
    Junior Burger
    RE: Lobster Stew! 2004/01/10 15:23:50 (permalink)
    Has anyone been to that rest?
    Laughing Goddess
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 89
    RE: Lobster Stew! 2004/01/10 16:22:05 (permalink)
    I haven't, though I'm originally from the area. Locke-Ober always gets good reviews.

Hmm, I notice that she has both lobster stew and lobster bisque on the menu. The recipe krwood posted looks more like a bisque than a stew to me. Can anyone tell me what the difference is?

Or do I have to fly up to Boston and give a side-by-side taste test? LOL, wouldn't that be great.

Locke-Ober's website: http://www.locke-ober.com/menu.htm
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7027
    RE: Lobster Stew! 2004/01/10 16:42:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by krwood[/i

Has anyone been to that rest?

Locke-Ober is a Boston tradition, recently taken over by Lydia Shire (good friend of mine). It opened around 1875 and was a men's only sanctuary, as is proclaimed by the nude painting of Madame Yvonne on the first floor. I ate there for the first time in the 80's when the first floor was still only for men, so we got relinquished to the second floor. JFK loved to eat there, as did his grandfather, John Fitzgerald who was Mayor of Boston, nicknamed Honey Fitz. They have always been famous for their lobster bisque, soft-shelled crabs and other numerous seafood dishes. All meals consumed there have been extradorinary.
    RubyRose
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Lobster Stew! 2004/01/10 19:25:41 (permalink)
    I enjoy looking at the menus (ones where you can read the food and prices) for sale on e-bay. Last year, they had one from Locke-Ober from around 1950 and I was astonished at how many dishes were on it.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Lobster Stew! 2004/01/10 21:43:09 (permalink)
    I believe the menu is still that extensive today. Now that us ladies can be seated downstairs I still wonder......am I sitting in JFK's chair?
    hermitt4d
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Lobster Stew! 2004/01/11 01:36:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Laughing Goddess

Hmm, I notice that she has both lobster stew and lobster bisque on the menu. The recipe krwood posted looks more like a bisque than a stew to me. Can anyone tell me what the difference is?

Or do I have to fly up to Boston and give a side-by-side taste test? LOL, wouldn't that be great.

Locke-Ober's website: http://www.locke-ober.com/menu.htm

No answer yet . I was wondering myself. There are certainly people who post here who know a lot more about cooking than I but I'll take a shot at it. I notice krwood's recipe is incomplete but ends with coarsely chopped lobster meat. I would think a bisque would have more finely diced lobster meat; in fact, two on-line food dictionaries I checked both used the term puree. Of course, that may follow in krwood's recipe that isn't there.

In general I think I share oldfrt's sentiment's about lobster consumption, but I have had some pretty rubbery ones that might have been better in a stew or bisque.
    krwood
    Junior Burger
    RE: Lobster Stew! 2004/01/12 12:36:38 (permalink)
    JFK Lobster Stew
    Recipe courtesy Lidia Shire, restaurant Lock-ober, Boston

Recipe Summary
    Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
    Inactive Prep Time: 6 minutes Yield: 2 quarts
    6 live 1-pound lobsters
    8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter
    1 cup dry Sherry (either amantillado or fino), plus 1/2 cup
    6 cups whole milk
    2 cups heavy cream
    1/4 teaspoon paprika
    Salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    Chopped fresh parsley

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Plunge the lobsters head first into the boiling water, in batches, if necessary, and cook, covered, for 5 minutes. Transfer the lobsters with tongs to a large bowl filled with ice water to cool. When the lobsters are cool enough to handle, crack the shells, remove the tail and claw meat, and coarsely chop. Reserve the shells. Tightly cover the meat and refrigerate.
    In a large Dutch oven, melt 4 ounces (1 stick) of butter over medium-high heat. Add the shells and cook, stirring, until they turn bright red, 2 to 3 minutes. Add 1 cup of the Sherry and bring to a boil. Cook until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Add the milk, cream, paprika, salt, and pepper, and return to the boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until slightly thickened, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool. Cover and refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight for the flavors to develop.

Remove the milk and shell mixture from the refrigerator and strain into a clean container through a fine mesh strainer. Set aside. In a large, heavy pot, melt the remaining 4 ounces (1 stick) of butter over medium-high heat. Add the chopped lobster meat and cook, stirring, until lightly colored, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of Sherry and increase the heat to high. Cook, stirring, to deglaze the pan and until reduced by half. Add the strained milk mixture and bring to a low boil. Simmer, stirring, until heated through.

Remove from the heat and adjust the seasoning, to taste. Spoon into bowls and garnish with chopped fresh parsley. Serve immediately.

lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Lobster Stew! 2004/01/12 13:08:34 (permalink)
    hermitt, if you had a rubbery or tough lobster it's because it was overcooked. I worked for Yankee Lobster Co. in Boston for a year and sold 17-20 lb. lobsters to customers on a regular basis and they proclaimed them as delicious as 1-2 pounders. It's all in the cooking.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1