Lobster for Breakfast craving

Author
Michael Stern
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1034
2003/03/04 11:07:04 (permalink)

Lobster for Breakfast craving

We really like the homemade muffins at[url='http://mainediner.com']The Maine Diner[/url] ... but woke up this morning with a craving for lobster benedict . It must be winter cabin-fever, but we are aching to eat our way along the Downeast Coast, as soon as weather permits.

23 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18700
    RE: Lobster for Breakfast craving 2003/03/04 15:35:32 (permalink)
    Lobster Benedict? Now that's decadent.
    AdrianDube
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Lobster for Breakfast craving 2003/03/05 09:16:42 (permalink)
    Lobster for breakfast -- I would think I had died and gone to heaven! Or in the words of Homer Simpson, "Ohhh Lobster . . . awhhhhhhh" (insert drool marks here)!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15307
    RE: Lobster for Breakfast craving 2003/03/05 09:18:13 (permalink)
    Micheal,
    We tried the Lobster Pie and the Lobster Roll at the Maine Diner after reading about it in ROADFOOD. Outstanding suggestions.
    About the Lobster Benedict...wouldn't the sauce bury the subtle Lobster flavor??
    Michael Stern
    • Total Posts : 1034
    RE: Lobster for Breakfast craving 2003/03/06 20:29:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by The Mayor

Micheal,
    We tried the Lobster Pie and the Lobster Roll at the Maine Diner after reading about it in ROADFOOD. Outstanding suggestions.
    About the Lobster Benedict...wouldn't the sauce bury the subtle Lobster flavor??

Well, it really is TOO rich, and it's not for the lobster purist, but there are times when "a little too much is just enough"! " />
    jmckee
    • Total Posts : 1188
    RE: Lobster for Breakfast craving 2003/04/13 16:07:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Stern

quote:
    Originally posted by The Mayor

Micheal,

Well, it really is TOO rich, and it's not for the lobster purist, but there are times when "a little too much is just enough"! " />

Sam & Omie's (a WONDERFUL place; I probably ought to post a review...) in the Outer Banks of NC does a Crab Benedict for Sunday breakfast. I really like it. But then again, I never met anything involving crabmeat (or hollandaise, for that matter...) that I didn't like...

The president of the company I work for has a saying about Lobster: "Lobster is really just nature's way of allowing you to transfer a great deal of melted butter into your mouth."
    Pool Boy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: Lobster for Breakfast craving 2003/06/14 14:19:06 (permalink)
    Mahi Mahi for breakfast a la room service (i know, how can you call that roadfood, but we were on our honeymoon (well, 10 years ago) when we got it) is sublime at the Westin Maui. Besides we had to fortify ourselves for the Road to Hana!
    muzzlehatch
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 73
    RE: Lobster for Breakfast craving 2003/06/14 19:11:24 (permalink)
    There's a diner in Bar Harbor, name escapes me but I think it was a first name starting with "J" (Jordan's?) that serves a great lobster omelette. Mmmm lobster..eggs...homefries. Might've been my best meal on my last Maine trip. Also pancakes with wild blueberries, naturally.
    Pool Boy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: Lobster for Breakfast craving 2003/06/15 14:25:07 (permalink)
    Rhineheart's Pavillion overlooks Bar Harbor and does lobster rather well in many forms, and likely in an omelette form too. Haven't been there several years, but the food there (and the view) were memorable.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4596
    RE: Lobster for Breakfast craving 2003/07/27 01:02:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jmckee

Sam & Omie's (a WONDERFUL place; I probably ought to post a review...) in the Outer Banks of NC does a Crab Benedict for Sunday breakfast.

Was in OB for Vacation last year. Had breakfast there twice (both on weekdays) with 4 other people, everyone raved about it. A little pricey for what you get, imho....and lunch there wasn't all that great.
    jmckee
    • Total Posts : 1188
    RE: Lobster for Breakfast craving 2003/08/13 12:38:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

quote:
    Originally posted by jmckee

Sam & Omie's (a WONDERFUL place; I probably ought to post a review...) in the Outer Banks of NC does a Crab Benedict for Sunday breakfast.

Was in OB for Vacation last year. Had breakfast there twice (both on weekdays) with 4 other people, everyone raved about it. A little pricey for what you get, imho....and lunch there wasn't all that great.

Respectfully, I must disagree.....As would John Egerton, author of Southern Food. Sam & Omie's is a local tradition in the Banks. I've always found the food good, fresh, and prepared to order. And if it were too pricey, my wife, Our Lady of Great Frugality, would not approve--even on vacation!
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4596
    RE: Lobster for Breakfast craving 2003/08/13 22:44:27 (permalink)
    Well, pricey is a relative thing. I think breakfast for 4 adults ran me about 40 bucks not including tips and we didn't have any extras or anything....10 bucks a plate is a lot to me for breakfast, *shrug*

I did love the breakfast, though, don't get me wrong.....and will add that I guarentee I'll return there for breakfast whenever I am in that area again....:-)
    howard8
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 355
    RE: Lobster for Breakfast craving 2003/08/20 17:43:22 (permalink)
    Michael- I love and enjoy lobster anytime, anywhere. Here in Stillwater, NJ I will buy a five pounder and after I am done with the butter and lobster part, I put together a great lobster salad. That simply means a lot of Hellmans and loads of leftover lobster. I then consume it at 2 or 3:00 o'clock in the morning since I have a difficult time sleeping with lobster salad on my mind. I have been know to come in to work late due to my addiction! Ya gotta know its worth it.

T
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13524
    RE: Lobster for Breakfast craving 2003/08/20 17:52:12 (permalink)
    I was at Young's lobster pound and I would have bought a five pounder, but I did not see one. I got a two pounder. Is a five pound job pretty rare or do you just get a couple to amount to that much.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    howard8
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Lobster for Breakfast craving 2003/08/20 18:33:32 (permalink)
    Paul,
    Five pounders are readily available in all the supermarkets and fish stores in NJ. Sometimes, o.k. pretty often, I scope out the local supermarket for five plus pounders already cooked. Recently, the markets here have been featuring "pastuerized lobster meat" in 6oz. tubs for fifteen dollars or about 45 dollars a pound. I purchase pre cooked lobster for 3.99 a lb. and throw it all into a tub of mayo. So maybe I'm a sucker for a good buy and a huge amount of lobster salad. Come by sometime and if you can stay up till 2 or 3 in the morning, what a time we'd have.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13524
    RE: Lobster for Breakfast craving 2003/08/20 18:43:45 (permalink)
    Howard*: I am a little confused. How can they sell lobster for $45 per pound and you buy it for $3.99 a pound.

Regardless, I am like you and I certainly enjoy lobster. Perhaps I would get tired of it if I had it often. Being from Tennessee, I only purchase when I am in NE area where prices can be lower and the lobster certainly much fresher.

What I got at Youngs in Belfast, ME was so fresh, the lobsters got mad when the person of help was reaching for them. They actually fought back. Could not do much damage due to the thick rubber band.

I ate so much lobster while I was in NS, PEI, NB and ME, I got to really craving a steak.

Paul E. Smith
    knoxville, TN
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7058
    RE: Lobster for Breakfast craving 2003/08/20 22:32:40 (permalink)
    During my tenure as GM at Yankee Lobster in Boston we had everything from chicken lobsters to "jumbo" lobsters.......in Jan. we ran a special in the paper, $3.99 lb. for "jumbo" lobsters (for those of you that are not familiar with lobster prices in the winter, this is a STEAL). Needless to say I got tons of phone calls, "how big are the jumbos?" to which I would reply "eight to twenty" .... pause ..... "eight to twenty WHAT?" ..... "POUNDS!!" says I. One caller paused again and then said, "Are you just Sh---ing me??!!" It was always a ton of fun to bring the really big lobsters out and contrary to belief, a 15 pounder is just as succulent as a 2 pounder if you cook it properly.......just think of all the body meat, in addition to the tail and claws and knuckles. Sundancer, the largest lobster I ever saw was 24 pounds, the crusher claw was 7 times my hands.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15307
    RE: Lobster for Breakfast craving 2003/08/20 22:57:52 (permalink)
    On a recent Best of... food program they were trapping lobster in New England and made comment on the legal size limits on the small....and on the too large size also. Is there a legal limit on the upper end of the commercial lobster market???
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7058
    RE: Lobster for Breakfast craving 2003/08/21 02:43:36 (permalink)
    Mr. Mayor, unfortunately there is only a size limit on the smaller lobsters, gauged by the size of their carapace. There is no limit on the jumbos although I always thought there should be. It takes a lobster 7 years to attain one pound weight. Therefore, a 17-20 pounder is indeed a grandaddy or grandma and should be left alone seeing as how they somehow managed to survive 100 years or so.
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Lobster for Breakfast craving 2003/08/21 10:12:59 (permalink)
    Just received note from Gulf Coast friends vacationing in Maine and raving about lobster 3 meals per day, mentioning specifically lobster omlettes for breakfast (guess similar to Gulf Coast crab omlettes - a favorite of mine for breakfast, lunch, or dinner), lobster cakes for lunch, and lobster dinners of all sorts in the evenings. Sounded like they were about ready to relocate from the Gulf Coast to the Maine coast simply for the lobster, an emotion I can somewhat understand from my once living in New England years ago and from subsequent visits.
    howard8
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Lobster for Breakfast craving 2003/08/22 12:28:34 (permalink)
    Paul,
    The $45 per lb. lobster is lobster meat which is pastuerized and sold in 6oz. containers for 15 dollars. When I buy the five pounders, they have already been steamed in the market and placed in the display case for six to nine dollars a pound. The next day they are offered at 3.99 per lb. Too good to pass up for good lobster salad at that price.
    DaveM
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 353
    RE: Lobster for Breakfast craving 2003/08/22 16:57:21 (permalink)
    Lobster pancakes at Congdon's Donuts-Wells,ME-not too far from the Maine Diner.
    Now open 24 hours
    Right on Route 1.
    DaveM
    mgm243
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Lobster for Breakfast craving 2003/08/23 17:39:26 (permalink)
    Lobster pancakes? Never had them at Congdon's. Too busy sinking into their blueberry jelly donuts and crullers, myself. They're the best! But on the subject of lobster for breakfast... try making yourself a lobster and avocado omelet—mouthwatering, decadent, delicious.
    LizzieR
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 92
    RE: Lobster for Breakfast craving 2003/08/23 22:20:49 (permalink)
    We recently spent a week in Maine and I vowed to eat lobster at least once a day. I met my goal and thensome! On the way home we stopped at the Maine Diner for blueberry pancakes. Somehow the lobster benedict just was too much that early in the day. Years ago there was a great restaurant in the Back Bay area of Boston that served a fantastic lobster thermador.It was divine! I heard it recently closed.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1