Lobster in Mass

Author
sr4au
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
2006/05/15 09:25:08 (permalink)

Lobster in Mass

We are in the Boston area and want to knbow where to eat Lobster that is reasonable. Help please.

10 Replies Related Threads

Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Lobster in Mass 2006/05/15 10:03:16 (permalink)
    The Mount Vernon Rest. In Sommerville has a twin lobster special. If you are useing public trans it is very easy to get to. There are also a couple of nice spots in the North End, The Daily Catch on Hanover St. and a fairly new spot on Salem St. I think it is the Neptune Rest. has been getting great reviews from the locals. The Union Oyster House oldest continuing rest. in Boston. Then there is always Legal Seafood or Jasper Whites Summer Shack in Cambridge. I could go on and on but don't know where you are staying or you are willing to spend and what type of atmosphere you would like. Rustic style in downtown is the Barking Crab on the Northern Ave. pier. Chow Jim
    sr4au
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Lobster in Mass 2006/05/15 10:10:25 (permalink)
    We are in Littleton and will be here a couple of weeks. We want to experince the wonderful Lobster we here about in the South, but can't spend a arm and a leg for it. Don't care what the place looks like as long as the food is good.
    Charity
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 55
    RE: Lobster in Mass 2006/05/15 10:19:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by sr4au

We are in the Boston area and want to knbow where to eat Lobster that is reasonable. Help please.

I'm partial to Dolphin Seafood on Massachusetts Avenue just outside of Harvard Square (going towards Central.) A very nice Greek-owned seafood restaurant that has never let us down.

Another good way to get reasonably-priced lobster is to go to Chinatown - there are several Chinese restaurants there that specailize in seafood, and a simple stir-fry with ginger and scallions will highlight the lobster flavor. We love Jumbo Seafood (5-7-9 Hudson Street (Chinatown), Boston, 02111, 617-542-2823); I also have heard excellent things about Peach Farm (4 Tyler St, Boston, 02111, 617-482-1116 or 617-482-3332).
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6648
    RE: Lobster in Mass 2006/05/15 16:38:36 (permalink)
    Yankee Lobster on Northern Ave. is very reasonable. You go to the counter, pick what size lobster you want and they cook it. They have sides to choose from, the standard fries, cole slaw, etc. Served on a paper plate and there is indoor and outdoor seating. Can't get 'em any fresher, there is one acre of lobster tanks behind the store. Lobster sizes anywhere from 1 lb. to 10-12 lbs. And yes, the jumbos are very tender. My favorite size is 2 lbs. They're also the only company in Boston that hand-picks their own crabmeat. It is delicious!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13477
    RE: Lobster in Mass 2006/05/15 18:31:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

Yankee Lobster on Northern Ave. is very reasonable. You go to the counter, pick what size lobster you want and they cook it. They have sides to choose from, the standard fries, cole slaw, etc. Served on a paper plate and there is indoor and outdoor seating. Can't get 'em any fresher, there is one acre of lobster tanks behind the store. Lobster sizes anywhere from 1 lb. to 10-12 lbs. And yes, the jumbos are very tender. My favorite size is 2 lbs. They're also the only company in Boston that hand-picks their own crabmeat. It is delicious!

Lisa, thanks for the thoughts on Yankee Lobster. I will be in that city very soon and I cannot wait to take my neice there. I will get a two pounder.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    acornlover
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 394
    RE: Lobster in Mass 2006/05/15 18:47:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by sr4au

We are in Littleton and will be here a couple of weeks. We want to experince the wonderful Lobster we here about in the South, but can't spend a arm and a leg for it. Don't care what the place looks like as long as the food is good.

Hey, you are right next to my town! Littleton is very nice. So you are about 45-50 minutes outside of Boston itself, you can get good lobster in Maine which is up 495N about 50 minutes or so as well, without the Boston traffic -driving in Boston can be alittle scary though! Chauncey Creek Lobster in Kittery comes to mind and it is outside dining on a salt water creek, it is BYOB, minimal menu with lobsters and clams, lobster rolls, crab rolls, we bring our own salad and sides. It is a little difficult to get to , but mapquest will help
    PhantomGourmet.com can help as well, i think there is an article about Chauncey Creek there.
    Cheers
    KB
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Lobster in Mass 2006/05/15 19:18:57 (permalink)
    You don't have to go all the way to Maine for those bugs. Try Livingstons on Rt.129 just off RT.3 in Billerica Or a little further down the street Stellio's on RT.3a in Billerica Stellio's is very cheap. Also a little further on 3a is Garrisons great seafood platter and lobster selections. On the Littleton Acton line is the Rusty Scupper not sure ifthey still serve lobster though call in advance. All the above are about a 20 min drive from Rt.495 Littleton. Chow Jim
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Lobster in Mass 2006/05/15 23:37:35 (permalink)
    http://www.hollyeats.com/NewEngland.htm
    Holly has a good clue also.
    Scroll down to find the Mass. reviews.
    jvsmom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: Lobster in Mass 2006/05/15 23:48:54 (permalink)
    I don't know what kind of place you are staying in (motel, hotel, condo, friend or relative's house, etc.) but if you really want to save money, a lot of supermarkets will steam them for you - just pick it out of the tank and ask them to cook it (it's surprisingly quick) and take it back to wherever and eat it. If you have acces to a microwave and can melt some butter - the only other thing you'll need is a nutcracker and a few rolls of paper towels. Just make sure you make your request the early enough - I think they stop taking requests maybe 2 hours before closing time.

I believe Shaw's markets is having a special on them this week - $6.99/lb. You won't beat that in a restaurant.
    katieoaks
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: Lobster in Mass 2006/05/20 16:19:58 (permalink)
    Reasonable being the operative word here...eat at "home" Find a Market Basket grocery store and order them steamed, they are actually pretty goood. I have toured their distributor's facility and it is state of the art at keeping lobstas fresh. At $5.99 /LB, you can have more than one or two a piece!If ya really want to eat out, Essex Seafood, on the North Shore
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1