Lobster rolls at Maine McDonalds?

Author
Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 863
2003/10/12 19:02:06 (permalink)

Lobster rolls at Maine McDonalds?

I don't know about bringing up this chain in this forum but...

A few years ago our family was on vacation at Acadia Nat. Park; had some great lobster in & around Bass Harbor...then saw lobster rolls being advertised at the local McDonalds. Had us wondering: how would they compare to the dockside stand rolls, and how much would they cost? ($10 seemed to be the average price we saw elsewhere)...and who would McDonalds be marketing these things to?

I know they put out regional items in different areas, but I can't figure the (shudder) McRib was focused specifically to us folk here in the South, as I saw it parodied in 'The Simpsons'.

8 Replies Related Threads

John from Pa.
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Lobster rolls at Maine McDonalds? 2003/10/12 19:40:43 (permalink)
    Likewise, McDonalds is currently marketing a cheesesteak sandwich here in the Philadelphia region - the food critics are not being kind, especially since there are hoagie shops that sell authentic Phila. cheesesteaks on every corner of the region!
    Chocolike
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Lobster rolls at Maine McDonalds? 2003/10/12 20:33:26 (permalink)
    In a few words, DON'T BOTHER! My curiosity got the better of me a while back so I gave them a try. Two bites & you're done. The lobster was rubbery & they put LETTUCE on it. Do yourself a favor & head to the closest shack & get the real deal for a couple of bucks more.
    hermitt4d
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Lobster rolls at Maine McDonalds? 2003/10/12 20:52:31 (permalink)
    I noticed those also when I vacationed in Maine several years ago. I never tried one at McD's but it was one of my favorite things to tell people back home about Maine! Jaws dropped, eyes opened-wide in response . I tried a lobster roll at a huge warehouse-sized tourist place in Old Orchard Beach, I think, and wasn't all that impressed. I decided to stick with lobster rather than lobster sandwiches, even in Maine (or maybe, especially in Maine)!

I suppose like everything else at the chains, they're aimed at people who are not very adventurous diners and want complete predictability when they pull up to a restaurant, from the taste of the food to the color of the furniture, format of the menu boards, easily identifiable pictures of the food, etc., .

I think I've read they've been discontinued; I know I've read the last Red Lobster in Maine closed about a year ago, just couldn't make a go of it.

A question: do locals eat lobster that way? I suppose it's less expensive, tho the one I had was not cheap.

All the burger chains here have promoted 'Texas style' burgers at one time or another. This usually seems to mean more mustard and pickles on the burger, or maybe only mustard, no mayo, and lots of pickles, according to the TV ads. I like mustard as opposed to mayo on a burger but I don't know if they have any research indicating that's true of the majority of Texans. In fact, I brought this up in another forum a couple of years ago and was jumped on by lots of folks from Texas who don't like mustard on their burgers .

JIB has offered a Philly Cheese steak here from time to time for several years. I tried it once because I don't really know a good place to get a cheese steak in Houston since a local place called Mr. Submarine was driven out of business by the Subway blitzkreig; it wasn't very satisfactory.
    ocdreamr
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1110
    RE: Lobster rolls at Maine McDonalds? 2003/10/12 21:27:16 (permalink)
    This subject was discussed to death on this site earlier in the summer, do a search & you can probably find the discussion.
    Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Lobster rolls at Maine McDonalds? 2003/10/13 10:43:23 (permalink)
    I noticed a sign at at McDonald's in the Houston Heights the other day advertising sweet potato pies.
    cindyloo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Lobster rolls at Maine McDonalds? 2003/10/13 15:58:07 (permalink)
    McD's is selling pork tenderloin sandwiches here in Iowa this fall. They must be doing some special marketing thing with regional specialties.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Lobster rolls at Maine McDonalds? 2003/10/13 17:58:49 (permalink)
    Back to Seafood folks: My fishmonger sold me a Permit last Friday.
    I had heard of such a fish but never saw or tatsted one. We grilled it stuffed with onions and lemons and limes, sprinkled on a bit of salt and pepper and it was great. I understand it is a Gulf Coast fish- any of you out there have any favorite recipes for the permit?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18457
    RE: Lobster rolls at Maine McDonalds? 2003/10/13 20:07:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

Back to Seafood folks: My fishmonger sold me a Permit last Friday.
    I had heard of such a fish but never saw or tatsted one. We grilled it stuffed with onions and lemons and limes, sprinkled on a bit of salt and pepper and it was great. I understand it is a Gulf Coast fish- any of you out there have any favorite recipes for the permit?

Permit are caught in the Gulf, but they're also caught in the Atlantic and the Caribbean. I saute permit fillets in butter and lemon, and I broil them that way, too. Another great method is en papillote. That is, you take a fillet, place it on a heart-shaped sheet of buttered parchment paper, top it with aromatics, then seal the paper by tightly folding the edges, making certain that there are no openings. Then you bake the package. To serve, you cut open the package right on the plate.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1