Lobster rolls - substitute bread?

Author
Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 858
2006/06/14 20:31:30 (permalink)

Lobster rolls - substitute bread?

I've been seriously wanting a lobster roll lately - I saw online sales of six portions, with Whoopie pies, going for $80, which at $13.33 each is actually not far from the prices I remember at Bass Harbor, Maine, but still a huge chunk of change altogether.
So I'm in the farmers market today and seeing steamed lobsters marked down 50% - never going to beat fresh, but I'm getting inspired to build 'em myself...the catch is, the bread. I'm never going to find the rolls they use up there down here, so what can I substitute? Here in the Atlanta area there're lots of gourmet grocery bakeries, and lots of ethnic specialty bakeries - Mexican, Brazilian, Russian, Asian, you name it. So, any ideas? Grocery store hot dog buns just don't inspire.

19 Replies Related Threads

Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Lobster rolls - substitute bread? 2006/06/14 22:05:56 (permalink)
    Sure they will, get one of those buns, a good bread knife, and slice off a very small portion of the crust on each side, butter and grill. No mystery there. Lobsters were probably sleapers at 50% off not bad though as long as they don't start to smell like amonnia. Leave the meat in large chunks dress lightly with mayo or butter, your choice, and you will have some fine eating. But what do I know I don't eat the bugs only cook and serve them. Chow Jim
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5546
    RE: Lobster rolls - substitute bread? 2006/06/15 10:23:42 (permalink)
    from another thread, you can get the top-split rolls at:
    http://www.portuguesefood.com/acatalog/copy_of_JJ_Nissen_Frankfurt.html

tmiles
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1965
    RE: Lobster rolls - substitute bread? 2006/06/15 10:51:19 (permalink)
    Split top rolls are not a must. In another thread, I mentioned a place in Ogunquit, Maine that uses a pocket. Here in yuppie Massachusetts, a lot of places now serve lobster (salad) rolls as "wraps". Others serve on homemade bread. There are lots of right answers, but the only wrong answer is to skip the lobster roll because you couldn't find the "right" bread.
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Lobster rolls - substitute bread? 2006/06/15 13:24:35 (permalink)
    Agreed. For extra-special buffet events (like my Sister's wedding) my Mom would make lobster salad rolls with soft, sweet dinner rolls from the bakery. Everyone would be terribly impressed.

Of course, when we used to get lobster for free I ate my share of salad sandwiches on supermarket wheatbread, but it wouldn't be my first choice. I'd avoid anything too chewy (i.e. sourdough) or with a hard crust because I think it would compete with the lobster, but that's just my taste.
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Lobster rolls - substitute bread? 2006/06/15 14:13:22 (permalink)
    The rolls used at any self-respecting lobster shack ARE grocery-store hot dog buns, usually from either Freihofer or Nissen. Use the grocery store buns with pride.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Lobster rolls - substitute bread? 2006/06/19 21:42:27 (permalink)
    Old World Gourmet deli and food store in Freeport (on US 1), used a bulkie roll when I ordered one when I was still in Maine.. I wasn't all that thrilled.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Lobster rolls - substitute bread? 2006/06/20 10:47:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

The rolls used at any self-respecting lobster shack ARE grocery-store hot dog buns, usually from either Freihofer or Nissen. Use the grocery store buns with pride.

split-top hot-dog buns. Not just any ol' side split bun.

Lucky Bishop
    RE: Lobster rolls - substitute bread? 2006/06/20 13:42:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

quote:

split-top hot-dog buns. Not just any ol' side split bun.

Yes, I'm aware of that. But what I'm saying is that if you can't get top-split, side-split will do.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Lobster rolls - substitute bread? 2006/06/20 15:01:20 (permalink)
    the Freihofer and Nissen buns are split top. That's my point.
    I know Wegman's sells split top store brand buns. They're my personal favorite.

Lucky, you gotta realize, I don't even like side split for my hotdogs!

Can anyone find if Pepperidge farms still makes split-top buns? I can't find them online anymore.
    When I was living in NC, I could get the Pepperidge Farm split-tops at some Harris Teeters and Krogers. I'm almost certain Food Lion didn't have them, but not completely certain.

PaulBPool
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 278
    RE: Lobster rolls - substitute bread? 2006/06/20 15:13:53 (permalink)
    Pepperidge Farms does indeed still make the top split buns. I get them at Stop and Shop or Waldbaum's here on Long Island, and I use them for my shrimp rolls AND my dogs, nothing better!
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Lobster rolls - substitute bread? 2006/06/20 15:34:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by PaulBPool

Pepperidge Farms does indeed still make the top split buns. I get them at Stop and Shop or Waldbaum's here on Long Island, and I use them for my shrimp rolls AND my dogs, nothing better!
    They may be split down the top but thats where the similarity ends. Chow Jim
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Lobster rolls - substitute bread? 2006/06/20 15:38:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jimeats

quote:

Are you going to elaborate on that?

roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Lobster rolls - substitute bread? 2006/06/20 20:58:18 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

Are you going to elaborate on that?

I will stick my nose in here for a minute..
    IMO, I think the split top buns have a different taste and texture than the side split.
    They are not baked on the side's like the side split ones are.

Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Lobster rolls - substitute bread? 2006/06/21 09:57:41 (permalink)
    I know the difference between a split top and a regular hotdog bun Roossy. I've been talking about them for many-a-thread and I've been eating them for aeons.

I was assuming Jim was talking about the difference between a Pepperidge Farm split top and another brand of split top. i.e. "they may be split down the top, but that's where the similarity ends."

By the way, if anyone saw today's (6/21/06) pic of the lobster roll, they get a great view of the New England style roll in action!

Lucky Bishop
    RE: Lobster rolls - substitute bread? 2006/06/21 13:15:28 (permalink)
    Incidentally, the food section of today's Globe did a taste test of split-tops and rated Pepperidge Farm the best. On the other hand, this is the same food section that employs the dippy Sheryl Julian, so I rarely trust their judgment.

Wonder split-top rolls were rated the worst, Freihofers (my personal fave) second from the top and Nissen and some other brand (Country Kitchen, maybe?) in the middle.

That photo shows a strong pet peeve I have about split-tops: some brands are very sloppy about how they cut them, and you're left with buns that are cut way off-center like those in the picture. I always put those aside and look for a package where the cut is where it belongs.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Lobster rolls - substitute bread? 2006/06/21 13:58:20 (permalink)
    quote:

I always put those aside and look for a package where the cut is where it belongs.

A seasoned New England style roll purchaser! cool, I thought I was the only one who checked for that.

Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Lobster rolls - substitute bread? 2006/06/22 03:45:30 (permalink)
    I'd be happy to. Pepperidge Farms hot dog buns are a Conney Island style bun but split down the top. In our local Pepperige Farm store I have never seen the style of bun pictured above. Hannarford grocery store food chain has a good N.E. style bun for $1.19 a dozen and Demoulas Market Basket has a fair product {they are never cut evenly} an 8 pack and 12 pack. Could never figure out that 8 pack thing. Chow Jim
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Lobster rolls - substitute bread? 2006/06/22 04:07:01 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

I always put those aside and look for a package where the cut is where it belongs.

A seasoned New England style roll purchaser! cool, I thought I was the only one who checked for that.

Ah, it was the only pic that really show that a split top looked like up close..
    Still waiting for my freihoffers from my lazy friend in Mass.
    Sorry Scorereader, I mis read what you wrote.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Lobster rolls - substitute bread? 2006/06/22 09:33:39 (permalink)
    quote:

Could never figure out that 8 pack thing. Chow Jim

me neither.

thanks for the nugget on Pepperidge Farms brand. It's been years since I bought them. They were the closest thing to the New England roll I could find in NC. So, we got them on occasion. But then they were off the shelves.

It was at least a five year wait after that until I had moved to DC and Wegman's opened up in Northern VA when I could finally stop bringing huge amounts of groceries back to my apartment from my Syracuse trips. The list included Hofmann hot dogs and coneys, Wegman's New England style rolls, grandma brown baked beans, Dinosaur BBQ sauces and rubs, NYS wines, and other assorted CNY items.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1