Hot!Local Breakfast Eateries?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 7
Author
chickenwingking
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 59
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2007/08/22 12:29:44 (permalink)
In Thompson, PA try Hobbs Cafe.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10408
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2007/08/22 12:32:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by chickenwingking

In Thompson, PA try Hobbs Cafe.

Where the H--- is Thompson, PA
Skipcanavan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2007/08/22 22:29:34 (permalink)
In Las Vegas go to The Egg and I on West Sahara or their other place called Egg Works on West Flamingo. They both have great egg skillets.
Quartz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2007/08/23 10:55:36 (permalink)
Here in Detroit, We have something Called the "Coney Island". The original restaurants downtown don't offer breakfast, but they're other Coney Islands on every corner that sell breakfast 24/7, and it's pretty good food for a reasonable price.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10517
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2007/08/23 11:00:09 (permalink)
Quartz-
I was just in the Detroit area a few weeks ago and ate at a Coney Island place for breakfast. Besides the fine omelette, they were more than happy to make me a few Coneys. Excellent breakfast!
cecif
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1414
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2007/08/23 11:15:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme

North of Scranton...
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Thompson,+PA&ie=UTF8&ll=41.866685,-75.528431&spn=0.444867,1.384277&z=10&om=1
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10408
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2007/08/23 11:53:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ceciflinn

quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme

North of Scranton...
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Thompson,+PA&ie=UTF8&ll=41.866685,-75.528431&spn=0.444867,1.384277&z=10&om=1

Oh, OK! Not too far from Hop Bottom! I'm from St Marys, PA--Equally about as hard to find!
dug
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 213
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2007/08/23 12:04:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tsores

In Highland Park, IL, the locals go to the Country Kitchen. Extensive menu, good food and good service. The tourists go to Walker Brothers Original Pancake House that does have a unique and delicious apple pancake.

this still holds true and i love the country kitchen!
in chicago my neighborhood breakfast favorite is "tweet" on sheridan and argyle.great variety and everything is fresh and beautifully presented.the servers are warm and genuine and the room is filled with museum quality photography collected by the owner michelle fire.
saturday and sunday brunchs are very busy.
Big Kahuna Kooks
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 490
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2007/08/27 14:43:24 (permalink)
St. Louis: Uncle Bill's. Everything from tuxedos to flip flops sit side by side. Breafast starts at the closing of the bars and last until next day. A STL tradition that goes back years. Nothing special about the food, but its a great people watching joint.

White Mountains NH; Polly's Pancake Parlor. Besides the usual roadhouse ambiance, your server cooks the pancakes on a long griddle facing the diners.Try the sampler platter which had regular, corn & coconut and buckwheat & pecans. Yummy.

West Paln Beach: Jo-Jo's DIner. Just a few doors doors down from a bait shop in a strip mall everything is done fresh to order. Bacon is cooked on a flat top 3 slices at a time instead of racking 20 sheet pans at 6am. Egg white omelets are split by hand...no cheater cartons of pasturized eeg whites for these guys. After hurricane wilma left these guys were open and cooking on generator power. a real class act. breakfast for 2 barely goes over $10. 'nuff said.

Miami: Wolfies. Where else do you have to stand in a turnstyle typoe of Disney waiting line for breakfast. But once seated you get a h-u-g-e basket of assorted breakfast breads. Incredible...all made from scratch. They even give you a bag to take em home...a great place to get a bagel & smear and some terrific lox.

Broke da nouth, brah.
KoffeeKwik
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2007/08/30 07:38:36 (permalink)
Koffee & Kwik DrivethruEnergy
Rando
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 117
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2007/09/03 15:22:32 (permalink)
In Tempe, AZ try CHompie's! we like to go there every other sunday or so. tons of choices for breakfast.

http://www.chompies.com/
dctourist
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 325
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2007/09/03 15:44:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Jimeats

quote:
Originally posted by epicuriousq

In Cambridge/Somerville, id say Neighborhood Restaurant.

In Boston/North End, I love North Street Grill amongst others.
There are some places that should be kept in your back pocket so to speak, and the Neighborhood is one of those. I've been eating there for years.
But now that the secret is out I must warn fellow Roadfooders it's hard to find, no parking and very busy.
But definatley worth the trip. Chow Jim

Heartily agree with both of the previous comments, though having moved out of state, it's been, oh, 15 years! Glad to hear it's still there.
dctourist
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 325
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2007/09/03 15:49:12 (permalink)
In my part of DC, a good breakfast is harder to find than you'd expect; maybe down on K Street where all the powerbrokers hang out there are some options, but not so much up here in Chevy Chase. That said, a little further out (DC/MD line), I really like the Parkway Deli, particularly their latkes, lox, and eggs, and their various deli fish options with halfway decent bagels.

In Chapel Hill, NC, on the other hand, we ate breakfast out almost every weekend. Best choices were the legendary Mama Dip's (leftover fried chicken, refried mashed potatoes, and gravy for breakfast? Sure, why not!), Breadman's (great omelets), Elmo's (though there's always quite a wait), and Weaver Street Market (cafeteria style).
sammur
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 138
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2007/09/03 16:25:57 (permalink)
Good timing. I just got back from Houston and had a great breakfast at the Buffalo Grill. Everything I had was very good including the hash browns, biscuits and gravy, pepper sausage, eggs just right (over easy) and good coffee. I'd recommend this place in a heartbeat.
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2007/09/04 09:02:31 (permalink)
We were in the Pickens, SC vicinity over the weekend and stopped at the Home Town Cafe for breakfast. It was pretty good, nice fluffy biscuits with white gravy that was just a tad too thin IMHO, good eggs, good coffee.

Here's the kicker: we both had egg-and-meat plates with coffee. $7.58 for two. That's hard to find these days.
Lyds
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2007/09/04 12:30:29 (permalink)
Just got back from a trip to Chicago where we went to Lou Mitchells. The line on a Sunday morning moved quickly and we were given fresh donut holes while we waited. Once you're seated eveyone gets a monkey dish with two orange slices and a cooked prune.

The omelettes were served in a skillet-delicious Greek omelettes with Greek sausage, feta, tomatoes and thinly sliced home fries. Greek toast with sesame seeds was a nice change. OJ was freshly squeezed, the french toast was delicious-reminded me of baba without the rum. We were stuffed for the whole day-really a great breakfast.
dug
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 213
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2007/09/04 15:46:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Big Kahuna Kooks

Miami: Wolfies. Where else do you have to stand in a turnstyle typoe of Disney waiting line for breakfast. But once seated you get a h-u-g-e basket of assorted breakfast breads. Incredible...all made from scratch. They even give you a bag to take em home...a great place to get a bagel & smear and some terrific lox.

Broke da nouth, brah.

*sadly wolfie's rascal house will be closing without fanfare sometime this next year and will be raised to make way for an epicure and high-rise condos.
i was fortunate to have experienced it in the early 90's and have many fond memories of the no-nonsense waitresses,huge lemon meringue pies,pickles and corned beef.

*reported under roadfood news
Big Kahuna Kooks
Cheeseburger
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2007/09/05 13:04:24 (permalink)
say it aint so....Like miami needs another condo.
keen5
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 24
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2007/09/05 13:48:32 (permalink)
Kuppy's Diner in Middletown, PA. It is located downtown Middletown, behind a bank. Anyone there can tell you exactly where it is. It's small, friendly, family owned and operated. It is an original old diner. Service is very fast and friendly. Breakfast favorites for me are the dried-chipped-beef and gravy over biscuits, the eggs over light and home fries. Coffee is very good too.

They are open from early morning until 7pm on weekdays, and until 2pm on Saturdays. Meals for dinner and lunch are very good too.
sammur
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 138
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2007/09/24 16:36:10 (permalink)
Hello all,
We just returned from a trip to Wisconsin and I have two places to pass along to the readership. They are both in Baraboo.
Jenn's Alpine Cafe is a great place for breakfast. It's the middle of apple season and they serve wonderful apple pancakes. Slices of fresh apple dunked in pancake batter and griddled. No need for syrup on these jewels. The other find was the apple cider donuts from the Sky-Hi Orchard. They have an on premises bakery that put out these soft cake donuts that have to be tasted to be believed. (They also bake a variety of pies which are outstanding.)
Wandering Chew
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 121
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2007/10/24 23:09:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dug

quote:
Originally posted by Big Kahuna Kooks

Broke da nouth, brah.

*sadly wolfie's rascal house will be closing without fanfare sometime this next year and will be raised to make way for an epicure and high-rise condos.
i was fortunate to have experienced it in the early 90's and have many fond memories of the no-nonsense waitresses,huge lemon meringue pies,pickles and corned beef.

*reported under roadfood news

Rascal house is still there for now- Condo plans cancelled as MIami is way overbuilt w/new and in progress highrises- smart money is pulling out and cutting losses- we will take years to absorb current inventory- but it will happen eventually-IMHO
JakerDog
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 204
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2007/11/21 13:10:08 (permalink)
Quality Deli in Piscataway NJ has a few great breakfast specials. Eggs, potatos, toast, jelly, coffee for 2:50, to go or stay in. Nice people, fast, good service. Old school deli worth the stop.
dannybotz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 357
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2007/11/21 13:37:59 (permalink)
Quality deli is in Middlesex i think . it is pretty good but i go to Bottones just down the street on mountain ave. Tony makes the best pork roll egg and cheese around!!! three over light with three sausage patties, rye toast with strawberry jelly and coffee!!! Now your talking!!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4328
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2007/12/06 18:48:02 (permalink)
DC: Metro 29 Diner - Lee @ Glebe, Arlington, VA
Dallas: Benedict's - Belt Line @ Inwood, Addison, No. Dallas, TX
LA: Harbor House - PCH, Sunset Beach
Big Kahuna Kooks
Cheeseburger
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2008/01/10 18:02:46 (permalink)
Chew...what a relief tha they didn't pave paradise to put up a parking lot. Happy New Year to you...
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18951
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2008/01/10 20:06:32 (permalink)
I forgot to mention a local chain in Columbus called TeeJay's. Huge breakfasts with everything from creamed beef on toast or biscuits and sausage gravy and biscuits to hash and eggs, homefries and potato cakes, to omelets and the Barnyard Buster, which will leave you waiting till the next day to have room for another meal.

Of course, it's not as pleasant as it used to be before they banned smoking in public places in Ohio.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6431
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2008/01/10 21:13:24 (permalink)
For the record my breakfast places are here with pictures of course.

http://www.roadfood.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22052

No pictures but if you want a unique breakfast experience Hell's Kitchen in downtown Minneapolis is the place.

Michael, not ever being a smoker, I am finding it much more pleasant now.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5120
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2008/01/10 21:59:44 (permalink)
Wow! I am surprised I haven't already responded to this thread. So, my choice: "Deli-News" in Dallas. By far my personal favorite Sunday brunch restaurant. Great smoked fish and wonderful breakfast egg dishes with those really good large, thick pork sausages in the natural casing along with wonderful home fried potatoes. Also, terrific bagels and Danish. Including my favorite Danish: poppy seed. Best of all, they know us and they know what we like. We don't even get menus. They just bring our regular favorite dishes to the table. Now, that's service!
Susan3590
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2008/08/18 00:16:08 (permalink)
It's been awhile since I've heard anyone talking about the Toddle House. My parents met at a Toddle House in NC in the 40's. They were married in 1948 and were together until last month when my father died. My daddy had 5 Toddle House's that he managed in Mobile until around 1964. He transfered to Greensboro, NC, and then to Richmond, VA. He was contacted by Joe Rogers, Sr., who had been with the Toddle House, to come to work with him in the Waffle House. He went to Atlanta for a few months and went to Anniston, AL and opened two Waffle Houses there.

I read some of the entries on the forum, and they did have some of the recipes correct except that the hash browns were not browned in oil, they were browned in butter. That is why they were so good. Everything served at the Toddle House and the Waffle house were all from scratch...pies, waffles, steaks...Daddy told me how he made the filet's wrapped in bacon.

Needless to say, I was raised on some mighty fine cooking...mama and daddy were both outstanding cooks. My mama made homemade pies... chocolate, strawberry, banana, pecan, etc, my entire life. They were the Best.
HollyDolly
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1077
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2008/08/20 09:55:13 (permalink)
In Schertz,la Salsa Tacqueria and Sue's Cafe is gone. Fiesta Mexico is on Main Street where la Salsa was.Some new mexican place has opend up in the old Sue's cafe location next to Papa John's Pizza.
There is a new mexican place opening up on Schertz parkway. But most of the places listed in my early post are still there.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 7
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1