Local Candy and Chocolate

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
meowzart
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 773
2004/03/16 14:02:10 (permalink)

Local Candy and Chocolate

So we've had threads on chips and sandwiches that you can only get in certain places...what about candy and chocolates? I love Goetze's caramel creams (made in Baltimore), but I think they are available nationally. Wilbur chocolate of my childhood is definitely only available in S. Cent. PA. If I need a fix of that, I have to call and order it or make a trip.

Are there any that you love?

50 Replies Related Threads

jm199
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 216
    RE: Local Candy and Chocolate 2004/03/16 15:27:31 (permalink)

In Pittsburgh, PA, (and surrounding western Pennsylvania), many people are partial to either Betsy Ann's chocolates (www.betsyann.com) or Sarris candies (www.sarriscandies.com). Both candy makers accept mail orders also.

Both make great truffles, milk chocolates and have been around for years.

An interesting piece of trivia is that Sarris is located in Canonsburg, PA, birthplace of both Perry Como and Bobby Vinton.

Now I have a craving for chocolate!!!!

RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: Local Candy and Chocolate 2004/03/16 16:28:05 (permalink)
    There is a candy called a modjeska. It is essentially a marshmallow surrounded by caramel. These days, I can only find them up in the KY/IN/OH area. I hunt them down because my Mother just loves them.

John
    Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Local Candy and Chocolate 2004/03/16 16:34:34 (permalink)
    One of the unique (or near-unique) foods of my Western NY upbringing was sponge candy. Kind of hard to describe, because while it's analogous to eating a chocolate-covered sponge in some ways, it's certainly a lot more appealing than that. Good sponge candy has an initial crunch to it, but then a melt-in-your-mouth quality after that. Bad sponge candy, though, is really bad. Sticks in your teeth like glue.
    ocdreamr
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1109
    RE: Local Candy and Chocolate 2004/03/16 21:07:12 (permalink)
    Rheb's Chocolates are a tradition with many a Baltimorean. They can be purchased at Lexington Market & at the home store off Wilkins Ave just west of Caton Ave. (you have to hunt for it, it's well hidden) These are hand-dipped chocolates. In the next couple of weeks their stores will be super busy as people buy the must have butter cream eggs for Easter.
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: Local Candy and Chocolate 2004/03/16 21:15:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Phil J.

One of the unique (or near-unique) foods of my Western NY upbringing was sponge candy. Kind of hard to describe, because while it's analogous to eating a chocolate-covered sponge in some ways, it's certainly a lot more appealing than that. Good sponge candy has an initial crunch to it, but then a melt-in-your-mouth quality after that. Bad sponge candy, though, is really bad. Sticks in your teeth like glue.

Boy, you brought back some memories with that one. I remember some sponge candy almost taking out one of my fillings![|)] I always liked the sponge candy coated in milk chocolate ...
    ahmicchick
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: Local Candy and Chocolate 2004/03/17 14:02:46 (permalink)
    What I miss most from Canada is the chocolate-covered, sponge toffee Crunchie bar, and the Coffee Crisp, which "balances the taste of coffee with a delicious chocolate coating that is delivered on light crispy wafers".
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: Local Candy and Chocolate 2004/03/17 14:39:15 (permalink)
    Here in western CT there is Bridgewater Chocolates in Bridgewater and Hauser's Chocolates in Bethel. Bridgewater makes these great chocolate and toffee things. I don't know what they are called but they are square shaped and delicious. Hausers is famous for its truffles. I like the chocolate lace. They have it in several flavors. Both places produce excellent chocolates. Uh Oh - Choco fit - off to the vending machine for a quick m&m fix to pacify the chocolate beast lurking within.

http://www.bridgewaterchocolate.com

http://www.hauserchocolates.com
    RedPatti
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 135
    RE: Local Candy and Chocolate 2004/03/17 14:40:41 (permalink)
    Hello RibDog: Scotch Kiss is the marshmallow covered with caramel you are looking for from Sees Candies. Check out their website [url]seescandies.com[/url] under custom mix on page 2. They are wonderful and Sees ships.
    Hode
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: Local Candy and Chocolate 2004/03/17 14:54:59 (permalink)
    Hey phil J. / are you talking about sponge candy from Olivers's Candies in Batavia N.Y. . Boy I have alot of good memories of that place. They also have Molasses suckers covered with either milk chocolate or dark chololate.!!! Thier ribbon candy is fun too.
    They are still open in Batavia / just a short drive from exit 48 of the New York State thruway. As a child when visiting relatives in Buffalo , we had to behave or we would not be allowed to stop at Oliver's on the way home. I don't think we ever missed a stop!
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Local Candy and Chocolate 2004/03/17 15:02:45 (permalink)
    I had my first Sees Candies experiance this weekend and it was a good one. My favorite was a sort of chocolate dipped almond brittle thing. I could have eaten myself into a sugar induced coma with those things. Good thing there were only two in the box. The box lasted about 2 hours after opening.
    M&M
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: Local Candy and Chocolate 2004/03/17 16:25:13 (permalink)
    Four recommendations from Saint Louis:

Bissinger Chocolate. High end. Located on McPherson Avenue in the Central West End. Oak display cases. Properly dressed matrons transacting business. Multiple art gallaries across the street. About half their businees is out of state and most of that in Washington, D.C. though I don't know why. Bring plenty of cash. Take a look at www.bissingers.com

The Chocoloate Bar. Located in the increasingly tony Lafayette Square. Chocolate of all descriptions from bars to hot chocolate. Making quite a name for itself and deservedly so. This month's Southern Living magazine carries a story CB. Take a look at www.saucecafe.com/thechocolatebar/

Crown Candy Kitchen. Check the review of Crown on the Roadfood state restaurant listings. A St. Louis institution. I have had the distinct privilege, owing to friendship with a local cop, of touring the backrooms of Crown where the chocolate candy is made. Quite an experience with large vats of chocolate turing around and around and calling to me. You get the picture. If you go, I suggest a banana malted with a BLT. Take the chocolate home for later.

Merbs Candy. Several locations in the city but the one on South Grand (4000 S. Grand to be exact; 314-832-7117)is closest to us. Very good chocolate candy of all descriptions. For my money better than the high end Bissingers. At least I've convinced M of such when I present her her annual valentine box of indulgence from Merbs.

Maynerd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: Local Candy and Chocolate 2004/03/17 17:46:39 (permalink)
    Lammes candies in Austin, Texas has "Longhorns" that as I recall are a patty of pecans and caramel with a chocolate covering everything. Very good! Their divinity is tops too.

Note: Chocolate items are available from November 1 through April 30

http://www.lammes.com/
    Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Local Candy and Chocolate 2004/03/17 18:33:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Hode

Hey phil J. / are you talking about sponge candy from Olivers's Candies in Batavia N.Y. . Boy I have alot of good memories of that place. They also have Molasses suckers covered with either milk chocolate or dark chololate.!!! Thier ribbon candy is fun too.
    They are still open in Batavia / just a short drive from exit 48 of the New York State thruway. As a child when visiting relatives in Buffalo , we had to behave or we would not be allowed to stop at Oliver's on the way home. I don't think we ever missed a stop!

I don't know Oliver's, although based on your raves it sounds quite good. Sponge candy is one of those things that's available at pretty much every candy store in that neck of the woods. Some better than others, of course.
    SkiPatroller
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: Local Candy and Chocolate 2004/03/18 13:38:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by meowzart

Wilbur chocolate of my childhood is definitely only available in S. Cent. PA. If I need a fix of that, I have to call and order it or make a trip.

I am lucky... my wife was born and raised in Lititz where Wilbur is located... We stop by there every time we visit her parents (who still live in Lititz) and pick up a few bags. Don't tell my In-Laws because they think we visit so often because of them. " />

Best kisses going (hands down to those cheap imitations by that guy in Hershey)
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Local Candy and Chocolate 2004/03/18 14:34:01 (permalink)
    Don't ya just love the town names in PA.

Lititz (looks like "les tits" to me)
    Intercourse

Those dirty amish! ha ha
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Local Candy and Chocolate 2004/03/18 16:22:08 (permalink)
    My mom reminded me that I should have mentioned Fitzkee's in York, PA. They have wonderful chocolates!! My mom would fill our Easter baskets with stuff from there every year. Raisin clusters, honeycombs, and the most incredible peanut butter marshmallow eggs!!! The honeycombs are hard candy that looks like a honeycomb and covered in chocolate. Mmmmm....
    lamertz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 290
    RE: Local Candy and Chocolate 2004/03/19 15:50:46 (permalink)
    Looks like I need to make a trip to Pa. for chocolate. In the midwest there's a small mom and pop operation Lowery's in Muncie Indiana. They make some really yummy candies.
    jm199
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 216
    RE: Local Candy and Chocolate 2004/03/25 20:13:43 (permalink)

Here's another local candy company in Western Pennsylvania. It is called Rosalind Candy Castle, located in New Brighton, PA. It is west of the Pittsburgh International Airport, in Beaver County.

It has been in business for 90+ years, so they have a devoted chocoholic following.

Their address is 1301 Fifth Avenue
    New Brigton, PA 15066
    (724) 843-1144

Their website is www.rosalindcandy.com

I love their chocolate easter eggs, and have had one tucked away in my basket each year for the past 40+ years.

DO NOT LICK THE SCREEN. IT WILL NOT HELP!!! TRUST ME, I TRIED!!!

RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Local Candy and Chocolate 2004/03/25 21:52:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by RedPatti

Hello RibDog: Scotch Kiss is the marshmallow covered with caramel you are looking for from Sees Candies. Check out their website [url]seescandies.com[/url] under custom mix on page 2. They are wonderful and Sees ships.

Thanks Patti. I also found a source for the Modjeskas out of Louisville also. But I am sure that Sees is more dependable than the person I deal with on the Modjeskas.

John
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Local Candy and Chocolate 2004/03/25 21:54:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by M&M

Bissinger Chocolate. High end. Located on McPherson Avenue in the Central West End. Oak display cases. Properly dressed matrons transacting business. Multiple art gallaries across the street. About half their businees is out of state and most of that in Washington, D.C. though I don't know why. Bring plenty of cash. Take a look at www.bissingers.com

Bissingers is the place that makes chocolate covered raspberries every summer. I love those!

John
    bethgrd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 320
    RE: Local Candy and Chocolate 2004/03/26 08:02:37 (permalink)
    This web site is so wonderful;this thread alone is priceless. I have often done web searches for chocolates, but bissingers is just what I was looking for and it has never come up. Unfortunately it is sabotaging my diet efforts, but what the hell. thanks people.
    tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Local Candy and Chocolate 2004/03/26 09:09:18 (permalink)
    There is one that I loved and will truly miss. I always thought Fannie May (Chicago and elsewhere) was the best candy value around. Excellent product at a reasonable price for fine candy. The chocolate was high quality and the fillings were between flavorful and intense. My favorites were the 1) dark chocolate vanilla cream 2) Pixies (turtles) 3) Trinidads. We learned the codes for markings on top to know what to pick out of an assortment box. Before that, my wife would puch out the bottoms and if she didn't want it just put it back. (She was a cutie.)

Fannie May went bankrupt earlier this year. Another firm bought the assets including the recipies. Maybe the product will re-emerge but and hopefully as I remembered it. But I have my doubts.

Oh well.
    chocolateman1
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Local Candy and Chocolate 2005/06/02 09:04:55 (permalink)
    In the St. Louis area, I have found that Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Company is the BEST for hand made chocolates. My favorites are the Chocolate Covered Strawberries, Molasses Puff, Pecan Bark, and Heavenly Hash. Each store has a hand crafted long candy case with delicious truffles, cremes, caramels, and nut assortments. I go to the on in Creve Coeur, but they have stores in St. Louis Hills, Kirkwood, Chesterfield, Brentwood, Creve Coeur, St. Peters, St. Charles, Shioloh (IL), Fairview Heights (IL), Lemay, and Downtown in the SBC building. Check them out: www.chocolatechocolate.com
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Local Candy and Chocolate 2005/06/02 09:40:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by RibDog

quote:
    Originally posted by M&M

Bissingers is the place that makes chocolate covered raspberries every summer. I love those!

John

Last week, I received a gift of Bissinger's chocolate covered cherries and they were outstanding. It's funny that I opened this thread and they were mentioned here.
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 1965
    RE: Local Candy and Chocolate 2005/06/02 11:39:42 (permalink)
    Our Heberts "The original roadside candy store" has according to the paper been broken up by the family owners. As I understand it the original store and factory is now non family owned and corporate. Two or three retail stores are now indivdualy owned by family members. Eaton Farm Candies in Sutton MA, is I think, still family run. Both make a good product.
    harriet1954
    • Total Posts : 1154
    RE: Local Candy and Chocolate 2005/06/03 19:44:20 (permalink)
    I'm trying to remember the name of a family-run chocolate place not far from where I live, but there's also Bayard's Chocolate House. Here's kind of a lame website for their Pennsauken location: http://www.bayard-chocolates.com

For any major holiday, they always hire someone to dress in costume and stand on the property and wave at cars. Huge Easter Bunny, Santa, etc. There's a location in Cinnaminson as well, and they always had a girl dressed in old-fashioned clothing sitting on a porch-type swing in nice weather, waving at passers-by. I've been in Bayard's before and their chocolate smell is intoxicating.

Edit: I just remembered the place I was trying to think of: Giambri's. They have been around since 1915 and are located on the corner of Brand Avenue and the White Horse Pike in Clementon, NJ. A good friend of mine lives in the apartments right behind there. The place looks really small. Here's their website: http://www.giambriscandy.com

There is a famous candy store in still-quaint Merchantville, NJ, called Aunt Charlotte's Candies. This place has been around for 85 years and still going very strong. Their chocolates are unbelievable. I wish they had a website but I couldn't find one.
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Local Candy and Chocolate 2005/06/03 20:43:47 (permalink)
    There is a wonderful chocolate store in Daytona Beach called Angell & Phelps . The candy is superb; the little factory tour is terrific but best of all is a story about this candy shop.

Many years ago, a young lad who delivered newspapers to help earn money for his mom used to love this candy store. Whenever he had a little money that he considered as extra, he would go into the shop and buy a fine piece of chocolate. He decided that he would one day own a candy store so that he could have all the chocolates that he wanted to eat. His mom saved her money and worked hard. As a result, he went to medical school and became one of the best cancer doctors in the southeast. He proceeded to buy the Angell and Phelps candy store. I talked to him one day on an elevator (he was the doctor of one of my dearest friend's). I mentioned the story about him owning this candy store and he said "Yes, but life is cruel.......at one time I could not afford to eat the candy there but now that I can afford it, my waistline and my doctor says "No NO"!
    harriet1954
    • Total Posts : 1154
    RE: Local Candy and Chocolate 2005/06/04 10:49:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chezkatie

There is a wonderful chocolate store in Daytona Beach called Angell & Phelps . The candy is superb; the little factory tour is terrific but best of all is a story about this candy shop.

That was a great story. I had to go to their website, and now I'd probably kill for one of these chocolate covered potato chips...

billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2392
    RE: Local Candy and Chocolate 2005/06/09 13:10:23 (permalink)
    There is a wonderful little candy shop in my hometown of Rome, NY called Nora's Candy Shop. Its in a small ranch house and its been around at least 50 years. Their signature candies are the "Turkey Joints". Cannot be found anywhere else. They are sticks of chocolate with crushed Brazil nuts throughout, then covered with a silvery, satiny coat of candy, similar in texture to ribbon candy. I get them for Christmas every year and have two for breakfast on Christmas morning. They come in a jar of about 12-15 sticks and are very rich! Go to www.turkeyjoints.com to get a look at them. They only ship in the cold months as they are some what perishable, but they make them year round. Sinful!!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1