Local Chinese

Author
AndreaB
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1303
2005/07/10 19:01:18 (permalink)

Local Chinese

Here in Lexington and Versailles KY we have local chinese restaurants called "Wok 'N Go". I think they're just in KY, and they beat most of our Chinese carry-outs hands down. They're not fancy, and they're not buffets, but you can dine in or carry out and it's not gourmet but for the price you get maximum bang for the buck. Check them out if you're in KY, you can do a lot worse.

Andrea

7 Replies Related Threads

NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Local Chinese 2005/07/16 20:28:54 (permalink)
    In NYC we are filled with "chinese." But I do remember one thing - to never go to the bathroom alone in a Chinese restaurant because you'd be kidnapped and sent to China as a child slave. Was that only in Brooklyn, NY or did they do kidnappings all over the US?
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: Local Chinese 2005/07/16 21:18:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NYNM

In NYC we are filled with "chinese." But I do remember one thing - to never go to the bathroom alone in a Chinese restaurant because you'd be kidnapped and sent to China as a child slave. Was that only in Brooklyn, NY or did they do kidnappings all over the US?

I think the kidnap thing was in Brooklyn only. They love the accent over in mainland China, so Brooklyn slaves go for a big buck.
    Scallion1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: Local Chinese 2005/07/16 21:51:10 (permalink)
    quote:

I've done an awful lot of shopping in Chinatown, and love it, but I've also used the facilities in some of the places, and there's something much, much scarier than being kidnapped. Although nothing compared to the "bathroo" I had to use in Cayey, PR, at the ballpark, years ago.
    I cringe at the memory.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Local Chinese 2005/07/16 23:11:14 (permalink)
    quote:

That notion probably derived from the Barbary Coast here in San Francisco which is adjacent to Chinatown but different. In Barbary Coast bars, sailors were given drinks that would knock them out--I believe this is where the term "Mickey Finn" may have come from--or they were sometimes just clubbed on the head and taken aboard ship to fill out the crew for the run to Shanghi (hence the term "shanghied" since the proximity to the goldfields made trained sailors a skilled and valuable commodity.

Anyway, Chinese restaurants are in no short supply here in SF (except, it seems, in my hood since I can't think of a really good one within easy walking distance--though the local standard for being "good" is pretty high). When I first moved here there was a local chain called Yet-Wah that had so many outlets I used to facetiously measure distances in "yet-wah's" (equivalent to approximately 2.5 blocks).
    haximon
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: Local Chinese 2005/08/09 00:28:53 (permalink)
    Lian Wang's, N. Pekin IL off 474.
    Great food, friendly service.
    No pre-packaged anything...all fresh!

tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 560
    RE: Local Chinese 2005/08/09 00:40:23 (permalink)
    These myths about "white slavery" are found in different places. I remember when I lived in France over twenty years ago, and my host mother took her sons and myself to a Morroccan restaurant...and insisted that we not go to the restroom alone, because the "Arabs" had false floors in the bathrooms that would pull out, and members of both genders would fall in, be drugged, and shipped off to serve at the whim of some "sheik," never to be heard from again. Unbelievable, yet I found out that she was not unique in her insistence that this type of thing was a common occurrence in Morroccan/Tunisian restaurants, as well as clothing stores run by the same ethnic groups. Pretty incredible.
    Gary Soup
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: Local Chinese 2005/08/27 12:29:27 (permalink)
    All the folklore just teaches us to distrust our elders (if you dig a hole deep enough you won't end up in China unless you live somewhere around Argentina).

Anyway, this could be a great thread. There are 40,000 Chinese restaurants in the U.S. and I would like to hear about all of them.

What's in Grinnell, Iowa?

http://web.grinnell.edu/sandb/archives/volume120/18/profiles/article1.html
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1