Local Donuts 'n' Coffee

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 7
Author
Martha-Girl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 48
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/06/04 20:44:06 (permalink)
Good Lord! If I lived somewhere without a Krispy Kreme, I think I'd die. It was the one reason I was able to leave Athens, GA and come back to Atlanta.

I do miss all the little bakeries that used to be around, Publix and Kroger just don't cut it. There used to be a fabulous place off the Lawrenceville Highway in Tucker, GA (near Coolidge) that had fabulous cream cheese doughnuts. I'd weigh a ton if they'd been closer to me!
Tommy B
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 144
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/06/04 22:48:42 (permalink)
Growing up in the 60's in Allentown Pennsylvania,
on Front Street, we had a bakery called Egypt Star Bakery.

To this day I remember that on Wednesdays, was their "Glazed Donut" day. Although I do love a fresh hot Krispy Kreme, I must tell you that the Egypt Star glazed donuts had so much more character and flavor and substance to them.

The one memory I have, that I'm not too proud of, is that I would be asked to go pick up a dozen donuts in the morning for my brothers and sisters and I. I would buy 14 donuts, eat 2 on the way home,
and then when I got home I would still get my share of the dozen.

For me to cheat to get an extra donut or two, those donuts must have been good !
RubyRose
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2189
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/06/05 08:31:19 (permalink)
Tommy, there is still an Egypt Star Bakery with great donuts in Allentown but it's moved to MacArthur Road about 1/2 mile past the Lehigh Valley Mall.
Julia I
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 157
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/06/05 09:10:30 (permalink)
I've never understood the furor over KK. The texture is interesting, the glaze is nice, but I never thought that they had much flavor. No accounting for personal taste, I guess. (Mine, I mean!)

My favorite donuts come from the Bay Bakery in Whitefish Bay WI. They make tasty cruellers and long johns, along with other donut varieties. They also make a good peanut square, not really a donut but a local favorite. But the best are their plain cake donuts, what I know as fried cakes. They are about six inches across and have an almost crunchy dark brown outside and an inside speckled with nutmeg and other spices, giving them a flavor that the add-water-to-a-bag-of-powder donuts found at many places simply can't match.
johnnym
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 30
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/06/13 16:18:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

Great article in the USA today 5/27/03 regarding the growth of the donut industry. Although KK is growing fast with 70+ opening's this year, the article indicated that Drunken Donut was opening 300+. They mentioned some other chains that I was not aware of ie: "Tim Hortons". DD has 3,200 stores while KK has 218 and TH has 160 in the USA and 2000 in Canada

None of them claim to be a health food which should be obvious. Krispy Kreme claims its doughnuts have less calories than a bagel with cream cheese.

I did not realize that it was a 3.6 bil industry" />" />

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

They have way less calories/fat than a bagel with cream cheese. Go to the Dunkin Donuts web page sometime. The doughnuts are the healthiest things on the menu!
Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/06/18 13:37:09 (permalink)
Yadda-yadda..... I'm partial to cinnamon twists and can't get them at KK. Usually the locals have them and I get to sample the local flavors in addition. By the way, does anyone know if Latimer's Bakery is still around in Wildwood, NJ. They used to have the best cinnamon twists. And while we're at it, you guys need to try "Dewy Buns", usually found in the farmer's markets near Lancaster, PA. These are yeast "do-nuts", not round, but long, and covered with white powdered sugar. When fresh, these are wonderful.
CoreyEl
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 156
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/06/18 14:51:56 (permalink)
Actually, the best doughnut I ever had was last year from this tiny Amish bakery in central Wisconsin. It was warm, gooey and amazingly sweet, and obviously handmade. It was so good I got tears in my eyes.

During my years in Kansas City, I found John's Space Age Donuts (8124 Floyd Street, Overland Park). They've got a plain glazed that will kick some serious Krispy Kreme butt.
muzzlehatch
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 73
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/06/18 22:03:26 (permalink)
I LOVE Krispy Kreme...but I can live without them, or any other donuts. What I really miss are great apple fritters that I used to get at the bakery acrosst the street from where I lived in Evanston (N. Chicago suburb) Illinois, god those were amazing when hot and fresh, must have been 1/2 pound with most of it being apples.

Now I usually have a bagel or scone (currant) from a decent but not great local bakery for breakfast. And LOTS of coffee. Breakfast may be the "most important meal of the day" but it's one I skip all too often. And there are as far as I know ZERO places to get good fresh donuts here in N Vermont, just so y'all know how lucky you are.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/06/19 06:27:20 (permalink)
In my younger days, there was a home-delivery bakery service in Los Angeles called Helms Bakery. They had a central bakery in the Culver City-West L A area and had fixed routes (like the postal service only tastier). They used a 'Boatswain pipe' type of whistle to let folks know they were coming down the street. My mom used to have a standing order for certain types of bread on certain days of the week...much the same type of service as the milkman delivering early in the morning to your doorstep. The Helms man drove a unique shaped little van that was easily recognizable from a distance. The last one I remember seeing was in '63 when I returned from S E Asia. Our old deliveryman celebrated my return with a special cake that he had ordered when he heard I was coming home. Good Memories.
Route 11
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 755
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/06/23 13:53:47 (permalink)
If you value your cholesterol count, stay away from:

Spudnuts in Charlottesville, VA

and

Miss Murphy's donuts in Southwick, MA.

They are the best.

But my favorite chain name is Lard Lad from "The Simpsons".
CoreyEl
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 156
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/06/24 19:06:43 (permalink)
Do any of you Razorbacks have an opinion on Shipley's donuts? The Arkansas Times gave it a rave review in its "Best Of" issue, and said they had glazed donut holes. Is it worth a try?
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/06/30 23:01:00 (permalink)
Doughnuts are probably my favorite food: my dad owned a doughnut shop called the Spudnut Shop until I was two, so I figure it's in my blood (not literally, I hope). Alas, I'm also fairly health conscious, so I indulge once or twice a year. It's one of the foods I've had to go largely cold turkey on, or else I'd be addicted.

All of which brings me to what might have been my favorite doughnut place: Georgie's, in Harlem. He only served two kinds as I recall --glazed, and glazed jelly-filled. But, man, were they good. I used to polish off a half dozen and then resist the temptation to return. Unfortunately, Georgie's is no more. But my waistline is grateful.

I no longer have a favorite where I live (NYC). I come from Niagara Falls, NY, where I was/am a big fan of a place called DiCamillo's. I also like Tim Horton's "corporate doughnut." NYC, however, isn't really a doughnut place -- although it's better than it once was. A friend once speculated that a place can't be both a "doughnut place" and a "bagel place," and I tend to agree. NYC'ers don't understand doughnuts.
BigGlenn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 461
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/07/01 00:24:43 (permalink)
Oh......All You Poor, Poor, deprived people. You have not experienced the true joy of eating an Irish Maid Chocolate Cream Filled Donut from my hometown. In Fact you cannot go wrong with any of their Donuts. Although I am Agnostic now, Heaven In My Mind will be Full of Irish Maid Donuts, Arthur's BBQ Sandwiches, and of course Grandma and her great Southern Cooking. Come to think of it......why wait? Grandma heat up the Skillet! Granddad open up a jar of your Pear Preserves, bake some biscuits I'm coming to the Big Kitchen in the Sky!
RockyF
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 24
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/07/07 00:59:24 (permalink)
I prefer a cakier, less sweet and greasy doughnut. When I lived in Boston, I bought cider doughnuts in season, I believe from the aforementioned Atkins Farm, on Tuesdays and Fridays at the Copley Square Farmers' Market. I still try to pick some up when I'm back visiting. I regret being unable to find anything like them here in Santa Fe, but there are certainly more choices here for breakfast burritos (oops, wrong topic).

Mike's in Everett did always have a good reputation, but I never tried them, even when I would go by while taking the back route between Cambridge/Somerville and the airport.

How many times do I have to post to become a cheeseburger? Can I be a veggieburger instead?
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/07/16 09:22:29 (permalink)
quote:

Originally posted by HeidiB

Sounds like they are baked donuts and they sound good. I do not believe we have them in Tennessee. I wish I had a cup of Mello Joy coffee from Lafayette, La and a apple cider donut now!!!

having tasted both---you have managed to make me drool!!!!!and your right---you would LOVE cider donuts--esp the plain---they are the BEST!
Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/07/16 09:36:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by RockyF

I prefer a cakier, less sweet and greasy doughnut. When I lived in Boston, I bought cider doughnuts in season, I believe from the aforementioned Atkins Farm, on Tuesdays and Fridays at the Copley Square Farmers' Market. I still try to pick some up when I'm back visiting. I regret being unable to find anything like them here in Santa Fe, but there are certainly more choices here for breakfast burritos (oops, wrong topic).

Mike's in Everett did always have a good reputation, but I never tried them, even when I would go by while taking the back route between Cambridge/Somerville and the airport.

How many times do I have to post to become a cheeseburger? Can I be a veggieburger instead?
1oo posts for a Cheeseburger, and no veggieburgers here, this is roadfood for god's sake. Meat, fries, sausage, beer, donuts, chomp,chomp, growl, gulp. . . .
bw30
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/07/16 16:37:12 (permalink)
Palm's Bakery in St. Louis Park, MN (suburb of Minneapolis) has been there for over 50 years. Their donuts have more substance and flavor in the dough than a KK - and when you pick them up in large quantities, they are so fresh the bag over the box steams up. Great cake donuts too - and the same nice ladies behind the counter every morning. They've got great cardamom bread and other treats too.
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/07/16 16:45:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CoreyEl

Do any of you Razorbacks have an opinion on Shipley's donuts? The Arkansas Times gave it a rave review in its "Best Of" issue, and said they had glazed donut holes. Is it worth a try?

Shipley's cinnamon twists are great, donuts ok (at least those in Laurel and Hattiesburg, Mississippi). Better than most if there is no Krispy Kreme near.
elcoraidercheer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/07/16 20:24:11 (permalink)
I've never had a KK. Though while growing up I would go to a Wonderful douhnut shop in Lititz PA, I think it was named Achenbach's Pastries. They were great doughnuts as I remember, I always got long John's with custard filling and chocolate glaze. If I was good on my way to daycare, my parents would stop and buy me one! However I haven't had one in years:-(
CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1394
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/07/16 20:38:16 (permalink)
Achenbach's in Lititz was always great. I loved the Long John's...not sure if it's still there. If so, I gotta' get back there asap!
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5475
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/07/27 01:29:02 (permalink)
Well as to KK I have never had the pleasure of a freshly fried one. They were not in Calif. when I left there in 1998 and there isn't a store near me in WVa / N. Va. I did check their website and there is one in Arlington so I might have to try them if I get near there. A local convience store, Sheet'z carries them and they are pretty fresh so I do get some there occasionally. They are expensive at 69 cents each though.

Several years ago I had come here to teach a 2 week operations class and one of the students kept grumbling about there not being a DD around. I spent the first week telling him there was and how to get there. Monday of the 2nd week I brought in 2 dozen for the class and he grumbled that I forgot the coffee. Sheesh! Some people...

Back in Calif Winchell's was the big chain but have since gone under. They made decent donuts. Like someone else said Fresno has a ton of Mom&Pop donut shops. Almost 1 on every corner. There was one at Fresno & Gettysburg that I preferred. Sorry, don't remember the name.

One of the things about M'burg we found strange was the lack of donut shops. The best fresh made in town are from the Martin's grocery store. Not saying a lot though. I prefer the KKs from the Sheet'z store. Picky Peggy prefers Martins. So now I make 2 stops.
fdm813
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 114
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/07/27 07:25:55 (permalink)
I live 2 minutes from a KK. Very tempting around 6:30pm when they turn on that red sign. As far as local shops, while visiting my brother in San Diego, I noticed a donut shop almost on every block. More donut shops then Starbucks. OK by me, I'm a milk person.
MEL00064
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/07/27 16:15:28 (permalink)
Krispy Kreme came to the Twin Cities (Mpls/St. Paul, MN) area about a year or so ago. When the store in Maple Grove opened, there was so much traffic lined up for blocks around the store, that police had to direct traffic. People had heard so much about KK, that everyone wanted to see what all the hype was about. It's not nearly as busy around that store now that a majority of people have tried them, but the Maple Grove & Coon Rapids stores are still busy. Hot KK's are tasty & are airy/light like a good glazed donut should be, but that greasy taste that lingers is a reminder of why you feel guilty after eating one! Some Target and Cub Foods stores sell KKs, but they are cold and boxed, so the glaze is usually gooey/melted.

My friends & I were talking & wondering why it's so hard to find a bakery that sells good glazed donuts anymore--the light & airy kind that squishes down when you take a bite and doesn't leave a greasy aftertaste. Does anyone know where there's a bakery in MN that sells such donuts? The convenience stores, grocery stores, donut shops and local bakeries all sell the same type of glazed donut--ones that have a firm texture & are just as firm around the area from where you took a bite, as the bite itself was.

I found a place called Valley Pastries in Golden Valley that comes close to the way bakery glazed donuts used to taste--where the glazed donuts are golden brown and taste like a "bakery donut" instead of a donut shop donut. They have large glazed donut holes and regular glazed donuts. I don't like a lot of cake donuts, but the best plain cake donuts I have found are at Valley Pastries or Tobie's in Hinckley, MN.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13548
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/07/27 16:27:22 (permalink)
I believe that Krispy Kreme is trying to improve their volume by selling at convenince stores. That is a mistake. Their big deal is selling at their doughnut factories selling what they do best is hot doughnuts right off the line. They are delicous and wonderful. Cold, they ain't so hot, but neither is any other doughtnut.

Cold doughtnuts anyplace ain't so good. Hot Krispy Kreme's are the top of the stack.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
4fish
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/08/02 11:31:54 (permalink)
I have to say that I've never understood the fuss about Krispy Kreme donuts, either, but then I've always preferred cake donuts to the raised variety. Here in La Crosse, Wisconsin, the best donuts to be had are at Mr. D's at State Street and West Ave. They're big, around five inches across, crispy brown on the outside and tender inside, and come with a variety of glazes and toppings. Mmm, mmm, good!
topferment
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 79
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/08/02 14:22:38 (permalink)
Lamar's out of Kansas City makes a great doughnut and a great value. For instance their twists are three times the normal size. They are a chain(Kansas and Missouri, anyone know where else?) but I've been to the original store in KC and the product made here in Wichita taste just as good. If your in the area give them a try.
goldsborscht
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/08/02 15:11:34 (permalink)
I just came back from a road trip in which I ate my fair share of donuts. My favorite is The Square Donut in Terre Haute, Indiana. Actually square filled with cream or jelly. The owner will chat you up (maybe a little too much). But what a great place. The Czech Stop in West, Texas for their 24 hour kolaches get a special shout out. Real buttery and soft. They even heat them up. I bought four and gulped them down in my motel room.
LizzieR
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 92
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/08/26 21:37:56 (permalink)
Congdon's in Wells, Maine is good but I found an even better doughnut in East Boothbay at the general store. Only three varieties but they're the best I ever had: plain, sugar and cinnamon sugar. Made fresh with a great cup of coffee. The best way to start off a day! Wish I was there now.
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/08/26 23:41:37 (permalink)
Well--after 57 years i have finally tasted a KK donut and i am just dont see the big deal--they were ok but they are alot like 99% of the donuts i taste---to sweet---i mean glaze AND choc topping! sorry if offend any of you KK fans but im just not a bog fan of "Glaze"--give me a pplainold reg cake donut--no glaze--no toppings just flavor!Nothing better with a cup of coffee in the am- And i have found that the best of these are almost always made by someone who owns ONE store and gets out of bed about two hours after i get in it! Of course thats what "taste" is all about--and ive got mine and youve got yours. ohterwise we would all be eating Hostess sugar donuts out of a box off the grocery shelf! Of course i imagine if i'd been eating KK since they were 50 cents a dozen and my dad took me there once a week get them--i'd probably feel differently---comfort food!!!theres no reason for it to be good---it just IS! To this day if i am sick NOTHING tastes as good as Campbells tomato soup and a grilled american cheese on Wonderbread!
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/08/26 23:52:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

quote:

Originally posted by HeidiB

Sounds like they are baked donuts and they sound good. I do not believe we have them in Tennessee. I wish I had a cup of Mello Joy coffee from Lafayette, La and a apple cider donut now!!!

having tasted both---you have managed to make me drool!!!!!and your right---you would LOVE cider donuts--esp the plain---they are the BEST!

you know this was supposed to be from me but its not----have i got a clone out there?
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 7
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1