Helpful ReplyHot!Local Donuts 'n' Coffee

Page: << < ..678 > Showing page 7 of 8
Author
Skipcanavan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2007/10/12 11:04:39 (permalink)
I also grew up in southern Massachusetts, in Taunton. We have/had (not sure if they are still around) 2 great local favorites. Art's International Bakery and Colonial Donuts. As a kid on those cold snowy mornings the donuts and coffee were a nice warm up!
jettababs
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 222
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2007/10/12 11:17:26 (permalink)
I'm hesitant to mention it, since it's already so crowded, but Titus Donuts in Lebanon, Indiana makes the lightest, most ethereal donuts ever. Even several hours old, they're delicate and crisp around the edges, and never greasy. Fresh out of the fryer, they are absolutely imcomparable. The Pershing--a sort of cinnamon donut with caramel frosting, is heavenly. It's not unusual to see people staggering out with several dozen donuts for jury duty, morning meetings, etc.
rhoges6
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2007/10/22 22:54:26 (permalink)
There's a little place in Ellington, CT called Gerry's Donuts. I had a teacher in high school who used to bring in a couple dozen of their donuts for us when we had tests. I seem to remember that they have pretty good Boston Cream, but their chocolate glazed were my favorites.
http://local.yahoo.com/details?id=10502932&fr=ypsrp
LoveMyLab
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 150
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2007/10/23 11:47:18 (permalink)
If you are in the Portland, Oregon area and heading up to Mt. Hood then you must stop at Joe's Donuts in Sandy, Oregon. It is recognizable by the line out the door. Fresh made daily with a extensive variety. Perfect combination of sweet, crust, and soft chewy center. The staff appears genuinely happy to be working there. I think these are the best donuts in the Northwest. I do admit to never have eaten at Krispy Kreme. When they opened here there was so much hype and not so favorable reviews.
mantaraya1
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2007/11/15 15:23:28 (permalink)
I have tried KK ,DNonuts, but it does not even come close to Spudnuts Donuts in Panama City, FL it is located in the panhandle of Fl. I think the secret is probably the patatoe flour, I love their Huge Apple Fritters, warm cinn twist,Honey buns, and the toasty choc. Long Johns with the cool baberian filled; out of this world.

Typing this message it made me hungry. I will stop by before they close at noon.
ajp1111
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2007/11/19 22:53:24 (permalink)
Krispy Kreme's aren't real donuts. For the real thing try Dale's Donuts in Stevensville, MI. Two of these with a cup of joe will stay with you through the morning. The best? Apple cinnamon!
danimal15
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1107
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2008/05/09 22:29:43 (permalink)
I see someone here mentioned a place in Joliet, Ill. I'm in Highland Park. No good donuts anywhere around here that I've found. Seems like DD has a monopoly. Can anyone tell me I'm wrong and recommend a place? I love the old-fashioned cake donuts that are crisp on the outside, soft on the inside - like the ones Yum Yum used to make (it's long gone - I noticed I mentioned it in an 11/19/03 message I wrote on this thread.)
cecif
  • Total Posts : 1414
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2008/05/09 22:54:53 (permalink)
I have no idea whether this thread has Kane's Donuts of Saugus MA in it... if not, then y'all are so sadly missing out. I seriously believe it is the best donut in the world. Join us on June 1st for a Boston Area Meet & Eat to find out...

Interesting how it always seems the newbies are continually resurrecting old threads... hey more power to ya folks! Welcome!
nanarosiew
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2008/06/13 19:08:48 (permalink)
nanarosiew
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2008/06/13 19:14:52 (permalink)
You haven't had a REAL donut until you visit Allie's Donuts in North Kingstown R I. This is a mom & pop shop where all the donuts are home made on the premises fresh daily. Lines can be out the door at times, but it's worth the wait. Why you can even buy a bag of "brokens" at a reduced rate. The heck with the donut chain stores. Allie's is the best.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8346
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2008/06/13 19:24:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by nanarosiew

You haven't had a REAL donut until you visit Allie's Donuts in North Kingstown R I. This is a mom & pop shop where all the donuts are home made on the premises fresh daily. Lines can be out the door at times, but it's worth the wait. Why you can even buy a bag of "brokens" at a reduced rate. The heck with the donut chain stores. Allie's is the best.

Totally agree!!
jvsmom
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 462
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2008/06/13 19:56:56 (permalink)
The Coffee Shack in Pembroke, MA has donuts to die for. My favorite is the whoopie pie donut, but the double chocolate is heavenly too. Also, the coconut jelly stick, and now they have mint oreo donuts.

I would drive the 40 minutes there and back any day of the week and twice on Sunday before I would ever buy another Dunkin' Donut.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7034
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2008/07/23 16:16:31 (permalink)
DanD Donuts in Panama City, Fl (located on Harrison Ave, across from Bay county HS)

Oh man these gems have been a PC tradition for years, and man o man are they good.
food truck guy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 36
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2013/09/06 06:56:42 (permalink)
krispy kreme has the best donuts!
Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 915
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2013/09/06 17:09:09 (permalink)
food truck guy

krispy kreme has the best donuts!
BS...how can you say that? Check out this little joint. Blows that Voodoo tourist trap away.
https://plus.google.com/1...5916352019/about?hl=en
tmiles
  • Total Posts : 2080
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2015/01/01 18:03:05 (permalink)
I got a good one......

Helens Bakery in Worcester Mass has a long history, but over the last 20 years or so, quality has been variable, and they have focused on breakfast as much as baked goods.

I still stop about once a month, so they sort of "know" me. The other day, I stopped in, and after almost not buying it, I asked for the last, shop worn, bismark. The (high school??) girl behind the counter smiled, and said, "Let me get you a fresh one out back". 

Helen's bismark is a cake style cruller split and filled with quality jelly, and topped with a really nice whipped cream. The one that I got was as good as (but a little different from) the ones that I used to get at the late, lamented, Butlers in Westport Mass. It was $3, and worth every penny. A 10 out of 10.

Wistah
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 238
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2015/01/04 09:08:14 (permalink)
tmiles
I got a good one......

Helens Bakery in Worcester Mass has a long history, but over the last 20 years or so, quality has been variable, and they have focused on breakfast as much as baked goods.

I still stop about once a month, so they sort of "know" me. The other day, I stopped in, and after almost not buying it, I asked for the last, shop worn, bismark. The (high school??) girl behind the counter smiled, and said, "Let me get you a fresh one out back". 

Helen's bismark is a cake style cruller split and filled with quality jelly, and topped with a really nice whipped cream. The one that I got was as good as (but a little different from) the ones that I used to get at the late, lamented, Butlers in Westport Mass. It was $3, and worth every penny. A 10 out of 10.

Wow I had thought that Helen's went out of business (location next to Spags?)

I thought the last time I stopped they were gone, maybe they relocated?

I have been tempted of late to start a "Central Mass Best Donuts" thread.
post edited by Wistah - 2015/01/04 09:09:43
tmiles
  • Total Posts : 2080
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2015/01/04 10:31:51 (permalink)

Wow I had thought that Helen's went out of business (location next to Spags?)

I thought the last time I stopped they were gone, maybe they relocated?

I have been tempted of late to start a "Central Mass Best Donuts" thread.

The original location is still on Greenwood St in Worcester........I had forgotten about the attempt to expand. It is still home of the "Giant coffee ring", and as I mentioned, quality and freshness is variable. I made a mistake in my previous post, the Bismark is $2, not $3, but worth it in any case.

A "Central Mass Donut" thread would be interesting,,,,,,,,,,but a VERY short list. I don't know of a single place of "Butler" quality. Donuts are out of style. The most interesting thing is Dunkin's new cronut imitation............and I have not had that yet, nor will I rush to try one.
cavandre
  • Total Posts : 1705
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2015/01/05 09:36:57 (permalink)
If you're ever in the Melbourne (central East Coast), FL area, be sure to get to Love Bugs; an oasis in a sea of KK, Dunkin' & Publix.

http://www.lovebugsbakery.com/ 
ModelT1
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2015/01/23 20:03:43 (permalink)
Well by some sort of Karma or freak act of nature I ended up on this site and began wandering around looking for something about real donuts. Other than Spudnuts about all I know about is fried chicken, fried catfish, and BBQ. Maybe a big ole tenderloin sandwich the size of a hubcap or a Chicago style hot dog now and then to make me happy. But that's about it when it comes to fancy food and fancy dining.
I've been told that all of this fried food is unhealthy. I just turned 76 and if I die tomorrow I'll die happy. That is if I make it back home to buy some Spudnuts. We've lived here in Florida over twenty years but decided we need to be closer to our family and friends while we still have family and friends.
That's what my wife thinks. But after reading about the old Spudnut shop and the newer old Spudnut shop at roughly 1308 Derby Street in Pekin, Illinois I'm going back for a couple of hot Spudnuts. Have to get there early because when the mornings batch is gone that's all folks.
We bought a house a few miles down the street so I can get there while they are fresh. Whatever you do, if you go to my Spudnut shop don't go till after 9AM.
And by the way we still call that evening meal supper. Dinner is what mom called lunch when we weren't carrying a lunch bucket or paper bag. And brunch is for sissies who overslept.
But the reason I stopped in here was to talk about real donuts. You know, SPUDNUT DONUTS ! If you haven't eaten a big sugar glazed hot Spudnut you haven't really had a donut!
As for that Karma thing, we recently bought a small home back where I was born and almost raised, Pekin, Illinois. That's right in the middle of the midwest. I was literally going down Memory Lane when up popped a topic someplace, I thought here, discussing Spudnuts.
Wow, the memories came back about the original Spudnut shop right downtown Pekin on Court Street, Main street USA. As a little kid we'd stop at the Spudnut shop and visit the 120 year old man making them. He looked about like I do now!
I'm not sure but it seems like for a whole quarter we could get two piping hot sugar glazed Spudnuts and a large bottle of soda. When I talk about sugar glaze I'm talking about sugar that looks like Corn Flakes glued to the raised glazed fried donut. Spudnuts are made with real potato batter. This became our school lunch for years. 
Seems like wherever that topic was most folks thought there were no more Spudnut shops and many have no idea what the rest of us are talking about. It seems that a couple of brothers out on that west coast invented Spudnuts but moved to Salt Lake City to open their offices and begin the franchise. So most Spudnut shops seem to be in California. But there are still many here and there. In fact here there were several in Panama City Beach, Florida. We've had a few Spudnuts when up that way. But the only Spudnut shop I care about is the little shop there on Derby Street in my home town.
Once you've had a Spudnut with your coffee you'll want more. See you there.
mr. sausage
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 137
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2015/01/23 22:47:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ModelT1 2015/01/25 19:25:15
Krispy Kreme are like cotton candy; a mouthful of sugar and air. On the odd occasion that someone would bring a dozen to work (instead of Ken's), I would choose one and inspect it. Didn't matter what variety. Always way too sweet and feather light, insubstantial in the same way Bunny Bread is.

After moving from Austin, my new favorite is Fox's Donut Den in the Green Hills section of Nashville. Independent, been there a good while and everything I've had is better than it needs to be. The Dunkin right near our house is useless. Our kids won't eat those sinkers. Fox's has spoiled them.

If any of you are near Franklin, TN on a Saturday morning, my favorite doughnuts are the ones from Ellie's Old Fashioned Doughnuts at our farmers market. The line is long but moves fairly quickly and even after you receive your order you must pause while they cool . Cinnamon sugar and one or two other flavors of the day is all they offer.
You will buy two or three and that won't be enough. Back in line, better get a half dozen. There. Now, off to the fruit and vegetable stalls to try and offset the damage, the delicious damage done by Ellie's.
collinf
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 170
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2015/01/26 12:55:37 (permalink)
mr. sausage
Krispy Kreme are like cotton candy; a mouthful of sugar and air.

Completely agree with your description.  I am amazed at how popular they are, but am more amazed at how popular Dunkin' Donuts is.  I guess DD at least has coffee and other items going for it.

Around here, the two best donut shops are John's Space Age Donuts in Overland Park, KS and Fluffy Fresh in Mission, KS.  We have a regional chain in the area called Lamar's Donuts, which are pretty good, especially for a chain, but they still cannot hold a candle to John's and Fluffy.
fishtaco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 884
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2015/01/29 12:22:54 (permalink)
Longs Donuts, just off  16th street in Indy a stones throw from where they have that little affair the last Sunday in May of every year. 
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8346
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2015/01/29 12:35:35 (permalink)
I couldn't agree more with mr. Sausage about Krispy Kreme- I usually refer to it as boiled granulated sugar globs

As far as the original title- I can't imagine even thinking of getting coffee at any donut shop- Nasty !  
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8754
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2015/01/29 12:47:53 (permalink)
wanderingjew
I couldn't agree more with mr. Sausage about Krispy Kreme- I usually refer to it as boiled granulated sugar globs

As far as the original title- I can't imagine even thinking of getting coffee at any donut shop- Nasty !  

I agree.  I once bought a few Krispy Kremes, took one bite, threw them away.  I'm certainly NOT a coffee drinker like you, Dale, but when I do drink it I want it to be an excellent cup from a coffee shop.
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9381
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2015/01/29 15:22:19 (permalink)
Krispy Kremes are great right off the conveyer built.  They lose that distinction once sitting for a few minutes.

In my area Stan's Donut's rule.  They have all the standards but they colored out of the lines and made some of their own.

Donuts do not have to be the same at every place you go.  Don't know why it ever became that way.

There needs to be Diversity!
mr. sausage
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 137
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2015/01/31 14:44:55 (permalink)
Here's something weird. In the '70s, my grandmother in Baltimore used to take a Krispy Kreme out of the box and put it in a plate. She'd leave it out overnight and eat it in the morning.
She was also in the habit of adding peach ice cream to her spaghetti sauce, something she used once in a pinch when there was no cream in the fridge. From then on, it had to be peach ice cream.
She was something of a character.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10889
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2015/01/31 21:44:52 (permalink)
I prefer day old Krispy Kreme's.
Fresh ones are just soft, mushy, globs of dough when you put them in your mouth.
Day-old's have more texture & body to them.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 19989
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2015/02/01 13:55:17 (permalink)
Oram's in Beaver Falls has some really great donuts, although my order is always the same: Plain please.

rudebarb
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2015/02/01 14:59:33 (permalink)
Mr. S. is exactly right. Krispy Kreme is to doughnuts as it is to spelling.
Page: << < ..678 > Showing page 7 of 8
Jump to:
© 2015 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1
-->