Hot!Local Donuts 'n' Coffee

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 7
Author
cfitz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
2003/04/10 17:50:57 (permalink)

Local Donuts 'n' Coffee

Don't get me wrong: I love the Krispy Kreme donut as much as the next feller. But first off, we don't have any KKs around me, and I'd love to see a good local donut shop survive.

Around Massachusetts, a lot of local shops have been driven under by those mass-produced sinkers at Dunkin Donuts. I worked there as a teenager and was horrified to find that their donuts come froma giant "just add water" bag of powder. Nastiest things ever. And the coffee stinks, too, unless you get it with enough cream and sugar that it tastes like melted coffee ice cream.

So: Where have all the good donuts gone? There are the only three I can think of offhand:

Shrewsbury, MA: Donut Inn - Main Street
A little tiny place right in the center of town. Usually busier than Dunkin' Donuts, thankfully. Nice chocolate cake donuts here. Excellent coffee, too.

Worcester, MA: Donut Express - Webster Street
Chocolate frosted rules here, and the guy that runs it's really nice.

Walpole, MA: Country Kitchen Donuts - Main Street
I had a jelly donut - which I hardly ever get - from this place and it was really good, though the jelly was that flourescent red stuff from a five gallon bucket. Anyone make a jelly donut with real jelly?

Alrighty, where are your favorites?

194 Replies Related Threads

bumper
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 96
    RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/04/10 19:23:02 (permalink)
    Richey Kreme in Maryville TN has been making donuts for 50 years at the same place I like them better than K K .
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/04/10 19:37:49 (permalink)
    Round Rock Donuts at Lone Star Bakery (Round Rock, TX) are heavenly, y'all. I mean it!
    Michael Stern
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1031
    RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/04/10 19:47:35 (permalink)
    My donut heaven:

[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=108']Phillips Diner[/url], of course!
    kdiammond
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 133
    RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/04/10 20:31:12 (permalink)
    In the Washington, DC metro area we miss what we call MODO's (Montgomery Donuts) they had a storm accident recently. Alas-- but we do have KK's! And some great Indian donuts and some interesting and pretty good Chinese krullers!
    Keller
    lvw
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/04/10 22:02:54 (permalink)
    Ok. I'll bite. What are Indian donuts? And are Chinese krullers anything like the wonderful buttery coconut buns I get here in Chinatown? Mmmm...coconut buns...

Lisa
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/04/11 08:07:45 (permalink)
    Someone recently opened a "Mom and Pop" donut shop in my hometown. Murray's donuts ! They make them fresh right there in the store. They are very delicious and give Krispy Kreme a run for their money !
    RC51Mike
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 443
    RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/04/11 08:24:22 (permalink)
    As chain donuts go I like KK but agree that a good homemade donut is hard to come by anymore. Near Longwood Gardens in PA is Northwood Orchards that makes apple cider donuts that are excellent. What's almost as good is watching them being made by the "Donut Robot." My true quest though, is to find a proper cream filled donut that doesn't have that chemical, scooped out of a bucket of spackle taste to it.
    DaveM
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 353
    RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/04/11 17:20:59 (permalink)
    Everyone in MA forgot Mike's Donuts, in Everett,MA.
    Krispy Kreme is coming to Medford,MA next to Wellington Train Station.
    Still under construction as of Tuesday, April 8.
    On the Maine coast, Congdon's Donuts on Rt 1 in Wells,ME is fabulous. Lobster pancakes as well.
    And they now have a drive thru.
    Absolutely mobbed on the weekends in the summertime.
    DaveM
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13480
    RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/04/11 18:03:02 (permalink)
    Krispy Kreme has to know they are successful when everyone compares their product to theirs. I do the same thing myself. My job has taken me to most parts of the world and I have never found another donut that measures up in all categories. Some are close, but they ain't there. I was in Denmark which is famous for their "Danish", but they ain't got Krispy Kreme's

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    jmckee
    • Total Posts : 1184
    RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/04/11 18:17:59 (permalink)
    In Cincinnati, Busken's is the place. We're particularly blessed with a tradition of local bakeries. Each neighborhood seems to have its, and all of them are quite good: Bonnie Lynn, Servatti's, and our beloved Mt. Washington Bakery (but then again, we're partial; they did our wedding cake).

But Busken is kind of an icon; go into any of the several locations of this family-owned chain, and you'll get really good breakfast pastries. The best location, I think, is on Madison Road, in Cincinnati's tony Hyde Park neighborhood. But this is a working bakery, where Busken goodies are available 'round the clock. In fact, my wife, who is a pediatric nurse at a local hospital, used to organize runs for fresh glazed doughnuts at midnight for those hungry health care folks!
    johnnym
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/04/14 13:13:41 (permalink)
    I have to give Mike's Donuts in Everett, MA a second mention, particularly for their chocolate crullers with vanilla cream inside. That is a serious donut.
    Also, Atkins Farms in Amherst, MA makes great homemade donuts, and the cider ones in the fall are fantastic.
    flattop5
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/04/14 13:57:58 (permalink)
    Another Mass. nomination: In Springfield recently we had the pleasure of dining at Donut Dip -- very, very good. I forget the street, but it's right near the Olympia Rink.
    lvw
    Hamburger
    RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/04/14 14:28:01 (permalink)
    Tougas Farm in Northboro, Mass. also has good cider doughnuts in the fall.

Lisa
    benschon
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/04/14 19:16:03 (permalink)
    Support local doughnuts! I just can't understand the mania around KK--their product is greasy, factory-produced, and uninspiring. So what if they are hot? Try these:

The Apple Barn--Bennington, Vermont. Apple cider doughnuts in the fall, with (or without) cinnamon sugar.

Mike's Donuts--Everett, Massachusetts. I agree. Probably the best anywhere, across the board, and one of the greatest logos, too.

Lori-Ann's Donuts--Boston, Massachusetts. In Charlestown.

Tulip Pastry Shop--Portland, Oregon. Little bakery in the St. Johns neighborhood that has marionberry fritters as big as your open hand.
    benschon
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/04/14 19:21:08 (permalink)
    Thought of another great one

Frank's Bakery--Bangor, Maine. Terrific jelly doughnuts, and I don't even like jelly donuts.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/04/14 19:28:12 (permalink)
    Regardless of whatever the competitor is, Krispy Kreme is always the one people compare to.

Nothing like a hot Krispy Kreme

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Newt57
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/04/15 09:16:25 (permalink)
    Spalding's Bakery in Lexington, KY. The best "basic donut" i have ever eaten.
    johnnym
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/04/15 10:43:56 (permalink)
    You know, Tim Horton's is pretty good too. It's a Canadian company, and they have a few stores in Maine. Some of their donuts are just dunkin' donuts-y and average (it is a chain), but I really liked their sour cream donuts.
    I'm glad to see all the New England Cider donut makers getting their due. Come fall, a cider donut and a cup of coffee on a chilly morning is a wonderful thing. Good on chilly afternoons and evenings too.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15233
    RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/04/15 13:15:20 (permalink)
    I saw a Tim Horton's just outside of Charlestown W V a couple of weeks ago. Same decor as the ones we have visited in Ontario, so it must be connected. Better than the average do-nut house.
    DaveM
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 353
    RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/04/16 10:54:56 (permalink)
    Check out the web page for Wendy's-you will find connections to Tim Horton's.
    I believe the parent corporation owns both (or at least the US rights).
    Donuts have survived all the ages and all the fads.
    In the 70's we had muffin houses, like the Mug N'Muffin chain and the Pewter Pot chain.
    In the 90's we graduated to bagels, and still no one company has a nationwide grip on that market.
    DaveM
    lvw
    Hamburger
    RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/04/16 10:58:29 (permalink)
    We still have a Mug 'n Muffin here in Norwood, Mass. But, alas, the Pewter Pot in Walpole, Mass. is gone, I believe.

Lisa
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/04/16 19:24:22 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    Thank heaven someone responded about Spalding's Bakery in Lexington, Kentucky! Their soft-rising bread is heavenly....
    Has anyone ever tried Dixie Cream Donuts on U. S. 92 East in Lakeland, Florida? There used to be a same-named place here in Athens, Georgia; I've long wondered if the same folks pulled up stakes and migrated to sunnier climes. Been by Dixie Cream a zillion times, but never stopped once. It's out about two miles east of Florida Avenue, the main north/south drag in Lakeland.
    Unhungrily (At The Moment), Ort. Carlton.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/04/16 19:53:53 (permalink)
    There is a Richy Kreme in Maryville, TN right out of Knoxville that another Roadfood reader has mentioned that is better than Krispy Kreme. I ain't been there and I found it hard to believe, but I have had others tell me the same thing. Krispy Kreme mus feel good having everybody compare their's to their's

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    silvrlvr
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/04/17 14:27:35 (permalink)
    Here in Ann Arbor the best donuts in town are at the Washtenaw Dairy, one block west of Main Street on Madison. They make 50 dozen a day and the donuts cost only 35 cents each (they are also supplied to the coffee bars around town that charge 75 cents and up for them.) The donuts are cake style, not greasy, and come in plain, cinnamon, maple, vanilla and my personal favorites, chocolate and coconut. The coffee is fine, too: a small is 65 cents and be sure to ask for cream. The WD is also a fine place for ice cream cones and of course, dairy products.
    Richard Brooks Alba
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 93
    RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/04/17 17:28:08 (permalink)
    Corporate donuts are for kids!
    Whether Dunkin' Donuts, Tim Horton, or Krusty Kreme (or any other corporate chain), their popularity (or "success") has very little to do with flavor - it's about them being damn-near everywhere [at least, anywhere people get fetishistic about what they eat]! You may as well argue the relative merits of some burger at McKing-in-the-Box. Frankly, it sounds kinda pathetic they way some folks shill for these corporate industrial food distributors - you'd think they were on the company payroll, or had dropped major ducats into buying shares of their stocks. The best I can come up with for any of their donuts is "reliable" and "familiar." Maybe that's all anyone needs at 4:00 in the morning - but what about the rest of the time?
    I have on multiple occasions encountered folks who judged donuts [from the exact same batches!] as better if thought to come from a known donut chain, and worse if from a convenience store (like 7-11, Circle-K, etc.)
    Go to your local donut/doughnut baker - sample their wares - build a relationship with them - help further their defense against industrial fried baked products.
    If you'll excuse me now, I have a date with a blueberry fritter....
    Richard
    Berkeley & SF, CA
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/04/17 19:02:51 (permalink)
    Richard Brooks Alba: I have no relationship with any food company, stock or otherwise. I judge strictly on taste and if I like it I tell others about it and if I don't, I tell others about that also. That is what communication is all about and this web site also. I have been a fan of Krispy Kreme for 50 years and I like them, my office likes them and apparently their customers do also judging by their lines.

We race twice annually in Pomona and in Ontario, there is a new KK. I have been there at 10PM and 6AM. Packed both times. I hve nothing against the local baker and in fact I encourage them. But until I find something I like better, I am on my way to KK.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    GaGal
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/04/18 06:16:57 (permalink)
    I guess I'm going to have to add my two cents worth about Krispy Kreme. I have enjoyed reading all the posts about the local donut shops and wish they were closer to where I live. That is the beauty of KK...they can come to where more people live. I personally have been a tremendous fan of theirs since I sold them in elementary school for 50 cents a dozen (Many years ago!) and they are just as good now as they were then. Southerners grew up on them, and they are part of our history, so I suppose you can classify them as our "local" donut shops. I wish, like someone else mentioned, that I had bought stock in the company when it was financially feasible to do so!
    jmckee
    • Total Posts : 1184
    RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/04/18 11:24:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

Richard Brooks Alba: I have no relationship with any food company, stock or otherwise. I judge strictly on taste and if I like it I tell others about it and if I don't, I tell others about that also. That is what communication is all about and this web site also. I have been a fan of Krispy Kreme for 50 years and I like them, my office likes them and apparently their customers do also judging by their lines.

We race twice annually in Pomona and in Ontario, there is a new KK. I have been there at 10PM and 6AM. Packed both times. I hve nothing against the local baker and in fact I encourage them. But until I find something I like better, I am on my way to KK.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

...And I must add that KK is a good local "corporate citizen." Not only do they participate locally in a dizzying array of fundraisers, but every schoolkid gets a donut for every A earned (even for an S or O if in a subject not A-G graded) every grade period. (Bragging Rights: Our son, Ian, cleans up in this department.) And the staff is none too fussy about the math; 4 A's can equal half a dozen donuts just for the heck of it. Plus, I hear the managers encouraging and cheering on the staff; such happiness in work makes for a happier product and a happier customer in my experience.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2003/04/18 13:58:15 (permalink)
    AndyNYC: The definition of quality may well depend on whom is defining. I know from a cleanliness point of view, ingredients, marketing, management, customer satisfaction and appearance, Krispy Kreme does an outstanding job.

But that is the reason there is chocolate and vanilla. It all depends on your taste.
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 7
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1