Local Donuts 'n' Coffee

Page: << < ..67 > Showing page 6 of 7
Author
roadrash
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 231
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2006/06/06 14:51:28 (permalink)
The Maple Donuts chain in central PA is pretty darn good, as is the Shipley Donuts chain in southeast Texas. Dunkin' Donuts is still my favorite, though.
Lastnitesfun
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2006/07/05 16:21:58 (permalink)
Spudnuts on Avon St. in Charlottesville VA for awesome blueberry and chocolate covered glazed. They advertise being open for breakfast and lunch but are typically sold out by about 9:00 am.

KK was here, but had the audacity to say we weren't a "donut town", whatever that is. They just couldn't compeat.

Mark
sophi
Junior Burger
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2006/07/10 05:46:15 (permalink)

I love to drink coffee with burger,it wil be really tasty ,i like to have chocolate coffee with cream which wil fill my stomach in the morning break fast.

http://www.coffeebreakusa.com
sammur
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 138
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2006/07/10 08:41:58 (permalink)
scbuzz,
Is Murray's donuts still open and doing business?
oltheimmer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2006/07/11 03:15:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by roadrash

The Maple Donuts chain in central PA is pretty darn good, as is the Shipley Donuts chain in southeast Texas. Dunkin' Donuts is still my favorite, though.
Shipley is based here in Houston (1936) and still family owned. The founder devised a recipe which included unflavored gelatin added to the dough to make the doughnuts lighter than others; unfortunately, it also meant they absorbed more grease. Warm, they're what I've been eating all my life and they're what doughnuts are supposed to taste like, but at room temp they can be pretty awful.

The chain has spread to several southern states.

When I worked near another donut chain now long gone whose name I can't remember, I liked their crullers and cake donuts better and didn't go to Shipley for a long time. I mostly go to Shipley for sausage and cheese kolaches on the rare occasion I leave the house before 10:30am; over the years they've grown and now are almost the size of a hot dog. 2 of them make a good breakfast-on-the-go. I usually can't pass up a donut, maybe filled or iced, or a fritter, but I would hardly ever go there if it weren't for the sausage and cheese kolaches. My favorite breakfast pastry would actually be a cheese or poppy seed or fruit kolache, not a donut.

The coffee at Shipley is very weak.
Ciaoman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 375
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2006/07/11 16:38:17 (permalink)
KK opened in central CT a while back to traffic jams and huge publicity. Lots of smiling youngsters. Then, nothing. No hype...just lots of New Englanders used to excellent local donuts staying away in droves. The place may have closed. No more lines.

Personally, I find KK much too sweet and almost totally lacking in taste. May be a Southern thing, as one poster noted above.

I too prefer cake-type or old fashioned donuts that just seem to compliment a good cup of coffee. I'll even give credit to DD...years ago before they discovered the "wisdom" of having their products produced en masse at a central commissary, they actually made donuts in each shop. Their "Dunkin' Donut" (with a handle for dunking) was terrific...crispy on the outside and cakey on the inside with lots of vanilla/nutmeg flavor. Same for their crullers. Now, their "sticks" stink. Mass produced yuck. Fortunately, New England has quite a few locals that still know what a donut is supposed to taste like.
dcwatts
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2006/09/01 22:09:10 (permalink)
On the coast of North Carolina, well below the Outer Banks and just outside of Wilmington, lies the resort town of Carolina Beach. As property values continue to rise, one wonders how much longer the small and somewhat seedy boardwalk can hold onto its unreconstructed honky-tonk hangers-on which include everything from bumper-cars to tattoo parlors. One of the oldest and best-loved of these businesses is Britt's Doughnuts (at #11, the Boardwalk). Made here in the same way since 1939, Britt's doughnuts are a throwback to a time before rosepetal glazes or chipotle-chocolate fillings could be taken seriously. This is a glazed yeast-raised doughnut, but approaches the product in a manner which predates and differs markedly from that of the famous chain of Winston-Salem.

The doughnut is a bit larger and definitely more substantial than a Krispy Kreme. One bites through a glazed and crispy brown exterior to a chewier, more substantial interior. The sugar, the crunchy surface, and this creamy marrow remain on the tongue long enough to meld together into the sort of archetypal pastry experience knowing locals travel far for. Rather than dissolve at once in a pouf of sugary fat, Britt's doughnut allows sufficient time for appreciation and finishes as a pastry should: bread-based - not oil, sugar or air.

Britt's is only open in season (spring and summer) and is a pleasant thirty minute drive from Wilmington's riverfront.
paoconnell
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 71
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2006/09/11 23:18:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tristan Indiana

My favorites in central Indiana:

Linnies Bakery in Shelbyville - grew up with these, along with Spudnuts.

Mr Freshie in Rushville - recently reopened to new owners with continued help from the original owner.

Was back in Indianapolis in July (I live in New Mexico now). If you go to Indianapolis sometimes, try Long's Bakery on Southport Road, a short distance east of the tracks. I grew up eating their donuts and other goodies (my dad would often get donuts or rolls there after church), but hadn't been there in 20 years.

During our visit,a friend of ours took us over there to grab goodies for breakfast (coffee was going to be at Starbucks). Amazing Danish, yeast donuts, cookies, and cinnamon pinwheels (thin and crispy). Now I know why I've never been a fan of chain donuts; I got spoiled when I was a kid.
kentstate
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2006/09/29 22:48:10 (permalink)
All KKs in Arizona have closed.
Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 863
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2006/09/30 08:23:03 (permalink)
There's a little bakery/restaurant called Duck's Cosmic Kitchen in Avondale Estates, east of Decatur, east of Atlanta, that makes cake doughnuts the like of which I've never seen - dissolve-in-the-mouth light, with a full, slightly citrusy flavor. They open late mornings, however, so having those doughnuts first thing in the day takes some planning.
Ranger Steve
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 30
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2007/02/02 21:01:59 (permalink)
After seven years of owning a computer, I realized the other day that I was finally getting bored with it. Then I found this site. It has restored my faith in the internet.

Anyway, there's a farm/orchard here in Oldwick, New Jersey called Melick's Town Farm. It's a produce stand and bakery. Their baked goods are excellent, and the donuts are exactly what God had in mind when he invented them. They're on Rt 523, just north of I-78. Unfortunately, since they're firstly a produce stand, they're only open from April 1 thru November. Only two more months away, as I write this.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2007/02/03 12:55:13 (permalink)
Another great spot for donuts in Portland, Oregon is Voodoo Donuts in downtown Portland. My favorite is the bacon-maple with two strips of bacon on it.
db1105
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 187
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2007/03/26 21:40:47 (permalink)
Suzy-Jo donuts in Bridgeport Pennsylvania has great donuts. Puts KK and DD to shame.
Anthony341
Junior Burger
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2007/04/02 05:45:24 (permalink)
I think thats a tough competition indeed....

Well there will be as such the products are

in demand too

--------------------------

angeltearsmc
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 319
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2007/04/03 16:00:12 (permalink)
Johnson City, TN has a Daylight Donuts that blows KK out of the water.
oscar5933
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 36
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2007/04/05 11:42:27 (permalink)
We have a spot in St. Cloud, Fl called the Sip n Dip. Nothing fancy about it, I have passed it several times. I need to stop in and see if they are any good. Anyone else ever tried them?
iqdiva
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1491
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2007/04/05 13:23:53 (permalink)
Here in the "Wiregrass" area in southeast Alabama,LOYLESS DOUGHNUTS rule ! I adore Krispy Kreme doughnuts,but,LOYLESS is a locally owned delicacy that is beyond compare in the Dothan,AL. doughnut world.
vetroader
Junior Burger
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2007/05/10 21:37:47 (permalink)
Anyone know any good local shops in Philadelphia?
VMC
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2007/06/14 02:50:08 (permalink)
In the Hendersonville, NC area-try Doughboy's for fresh,home made donuts..............especially the "sour cream" ones!!
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2007/08/16 18:59:38 (permalink)
I've talked up World's Best Donuts in Grand Marais, MN elsewhere and I just got back from a pilgrimage, so I thought I'd show what I was talking about. Cute little shop:

where three shelves of mug racks hold locals' cups (I was there for a local coming in for an order and forgetting they don't take debit, so the lady wrote down his tab and said come back later):

and the goodies themselves. The bags are day-old cinnamon cake, which I still aim to try to make bread pudding out of one of these days.
chickenwingking
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 59
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2007/08/30 19:20:12 (permalink)
Does anyone remember a Mr. Donut at Roosevelt Field Mall - this would have been in the early '60s when it was still open air.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6524
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2007/08/31 20:57:43 (permalink)
Leon's Donuts, Tyndall Parkway, Parker, FL

Not the prettiest building to look at, but some REALLY good donuts.
That long john weighed about 12 oz, and was filled when I ordered it.
The sour cream donuts were, dense and perfect for the next morning to dunkin my coffee

WARNING: GO EARLY
SRB
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 92
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2007/08/31 21:41:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by RockyF

I prefer a cakier, less sweet and greasy doughnut. When I lived in Boston, I bought cider doughnuts in season, I believe from the aforementioned Atkins Farm, on Tuesdays and Fridays at the Copley Square Farmers' Market. I still try to pick some up when I'm back visiting. I regret being unable to find anything like them here in Santa Fe, but there are certainly more choices here for breakfast burritos (oops, wrong topic).

Mike's in Everett did always have a good reputation, but I never tried them, even when I would go by while taking the back route between Cambridge/Somerville and the airport.

Russell (formerly Goodale) Orchards in Ipswich makes an excellent cider donut, and fans of Mikes should check out Marty's in the same town.

I recently moved from the North Shore of MA to Central CT. So far I've been pretty impressed with the offerings from the Whole Donut chain.

And as far as KK goes, I haven't had them hot, but they weren't any worse cold than what DD puts out. I think New Englanders are just too parochial to allow themselves to like anything made by a Southern chain!
DavidEMartin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 173
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2007/09/14 11:24:34 (permalink)
Grebe's Bakery in Milwaukee WI has incredibly good danish and a nice selection of donuts. The long johns have a sensual feel, the crispy crust over the softly yielding interior. The glazed croissants are possibly the lightest donuts I've ever tasted. The fist-sized apple fritters are the most substantial I've ever had; just one is a meal.

Favorite childhood donut shop, probably long closed-- A1 Pizzeria and Donut Shop in Wickcliff OH. Their choclate frosted/coconut covered donut was perfection.
Tfshaw
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2007/09/15 16:46:12 (permalink)
My favorite donuts have to be from the Homestead in Unity, ME. Good old fashioned cakey donuts, just the perfect amount of crispness on the outside. The chocolate or molasses ones are worth the drive if you're in the Mid-Maine area, just get there early so you get them fresh.
k9hckmac
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2007/09/15 18:56:28 (permalink)
The Donut Bank in Evansville In has great donuts and pastries. They are locally owned and have 6 stores that do a great business. KK opened here about 5 years ago with much fanfare, didn't hurt their business at all. They are about the best in this area.
ayersian
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 903
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2007/09/15 19:31:58 (permalink)
My absolute favorite donuts are from Earl's in Chatsworth, CA, which we reviewed on this site -- and which was also quoted last year by another food site as being reviewed by the Sterns, though I wonder if Jane and Michael ever visited there. Living in CT, however, I must get a box from Neil's in Yalesville on my way to and from New Haven. Closer to home, there is Gerry's in Ellington, and in the Bay area there is King Pin in Berkeley, and All Star in SF's Marina district.

And this may be a comletely different topic, but my favorite cider donuts can be found at Atkins Farm in South Hadley, MA -- better than any other cider donut I've had in VT, ME, NH, or CT.
Scott C
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 47
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2007/09/20 17:48:30 (permalink)
K9 Thanks for the kind words on the Donut Bank. I will be sure to pass them on to my wife as she is a baker there.

Thanks
Scott C
Evansville IN
eatingteam
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 186
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2007/09/22 23:56:48 (permalink)
Daryl's Pastries in Glenside, PA. These DOughnuts are unbeliveable and there cookies are a close second.

Britton's Wildwood NJ - Apple Fritters / coffee

Something about waking up early at the beach sitting on your deck eating great pastry...

Tony
jailguard
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 35
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2007/10/11 15:25:48 (permalink)
Home Cut Donuts in Joliet, Illinois will blow the doors off any chain store. Their absolute best donut is the glazed chocolate cake. YUM!!
Page: << < ..67 > Showing page 6 of 7
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1