The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes.

Ketteract

• Total Posts: 104
Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. Mon, 10/10/11 12:34 AM (permalink)
I grew up in Davenport, Iowa.  Born 1980, left for college in 1998.

At the corner of Division and Kimberly was a local burger joint called BG's Charbroiled Burgers.

I haven't had them since I was in grade school, and all I can remember is that they did indeed have a charbroiled taste, completely different from the McDonald's and Wendy's that I had far more often, and were greasy as hell.  Shiny silver wrappers that said "HAMBURGER" or "CHEESEBURGER" in a very '80s font (I believe the font name is "Frankfurter Plain", look it up).

They closed so long ago that no amount of Googling turns up any record of them at all.  The only proof I have of their existence is that a friend of my sister's used to work there as a cook.

What places do you have like this, in your memory?

Extreme Glow

Re:Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. Mon, 10/10/11 7:52 AM (permalink)
    I would say Ruth and Jimmie's Sporting Goods and Cafe in Abbeville, MS.  It was one of my favorite stops during my visits to Oxford.

Photo from Wikipedia.

fishtaco

• Total Posts: 742
      Re:Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. Tue, 10/11/11 3:24 PM (permalink)
      Thomas's Diner on East Washington Street in Indy. Best breakfast ever. I think they opened at 5am.

cavandre

• Total Posts: 1597
        Re:Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. Tue, 10/11/11 4:58 PM (permalink)
        Jimmie's was a family run Italian joint in Dobbs Ferry, NY. I fondly remember their baked stuffed clams & pasta fagoili.

tkitna

• Total Posts: 620
          Re:Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. Wed, 10/12/11 1:18 AM (permalink)
          The Kreme King in Wellsburg WV. It was a small little burger shack that got torn down in the late 70's or early 80's for the arrival of a Pizza Hut (*sigh*). You got your burger and fries in a little red basket and the dining room consisted of about 12 wooden school desks that you sat in. Also used to order the Monster Shake which came in a plastic cup about the size of a thermos. Good stuff.

Also remember a little shack called RBJ's that a bunch of my friends worked at in high school. The owners were Rose and Bill and they offered pizza, subs, and sandwiches, but everything was homemade and top notch. The hot roast beef sandwich with fries was to die for. Roast beef carved straight from the oven piled on french bread, with fresh cut fries and then smothered with gravy made from the pan drippings. I cant describe how good and how large the portions were. Gambling joint took over that spot.

mbrookes

• Total Posts: 1350
            Re:Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. Wed, 10/12/11 12:07 PM (permalink)
            From Clarksdale MS I remember the Elite (pronounced ee'lite). This was a Greek run place  that had the best ever grilled redfish and a chicken soup (only on Sunday) that was to die for. The owners (Polles was the name) later had a place called Polles' that was good, but not nearly as good as the original Elite. It, too, is long gone. 

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2368
              Re:Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. Wed, 10/12/11 1:30 PM (permalink)
              I took a cruise out of Port Canaveral last week with PieDiva.  Having worked for four years at the Cape, on the way to cruise ship I remembered a place we used to go for lunch but I could not remember the name. It was a typical Florida beach bar as I recalled, open air with lots of fried food and beer. Nothing special except the atmosphere.

I asked the shuttle bus driver about it and he said it was Sailor's Choice, and called it a really rough place.  Probably so, being near a Naval base and having a biker-type feel to it.  He said that it had gone out of business within the last five years.

wheregreggeats.com

Re:Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. Thu, 10/13/11 4:13 PM (permalink)
                THE MARBLE PILLAR IN HARTFORD
                I posted about it once before and nobody, even the Sterns, posted that they remembered.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                  Re:Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. Fri, 10/14/11 9:32 AM (permalink)
                  There was a prime rib restaurant named Selen's that had absolutely fantastic food. Very retro supper club, where you got soup and salad, a relish tray and your entree with potato. Last time Bob and I were there was New Years Eve after a Packer play off game( before Favre and the Packers won the super bowl)
                  They were not too far from the airport, and had a booming business.Unfortunately, all the chain restaurants built around them caused their demise.

Ketteract

Re:Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. Sat, 10/22/11 8:54 AM (permalink)
                    In downtown Iowa City, on Washington Street I think, there was a Chinese restaurant called Easy Place.  Burned down shortly after I arrived for college in 1998.  It was everything it should have been: small, cheap, and just a liiiittle shifty-looking. There were other Chinese places around - Yen Ching, Taste of China - but Easy Place was the most convenient.  Oh, and Panda Express was nowhere to be seen.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4724
                      Re:Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. Sat, 10/22/11 12:22 PM (permalink)
                      Ketteract

In downtown Iowa City, on Washington Street I think, there was a Chinese restaurant called Easy Place.  Burned down shortly after I arrived for college in 1998.

I hope that was merely a coincidence...

Brad

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
                        Re:Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. Sun, 10/23/11 11:49 AM (permalink)
                        Maggies on Wisconsin Ave. in Washington DC, fantastic pizza, about 1,000,000,000,000 beers consumed by patrons over the years, big Redskin hangout.

stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
                          Re:Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. Sun, 10/23/11 5:32 PM (permalink)
                          "There was a prime rib restaurant named Selen's that had absolutely fantastic food. Very retro supper club, where you got soup and salad, a relish tray and your entree with potato. Last time Bob and I were there was New Years Eve after a Packer play off game( before Favre and the Packers won the super bowl)
                          They were not too far from the airport, and had a booming business.Unfortunately, all the chain restaurants built around them caused their demise."

Awwww, Selens is gone?

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                            Re:Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. Sun, 10/23/11 5:45 PM (permalink)
                            Yes, my friend!

dews

• Total Posts: 24
                              Re:Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. Wed, 10/26/11 2:11 PM (permalink)
                              In Howell MI. there was the best buger joint called Anthonys, the Buster burger and Belly Buster were the best burgers we ever ate. Family owned and cooked to order, onion rings that were never too greasy. Sold business/land to a schister (sp) that tore it down for a used car lot then went to prison for fraud. 

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9552
                                Re:Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. Wed, 10/26/11 5:03 PM (permalink)
                                Dan's Diner, St. Marys, PA.
                                It was a railroad caboose converted into a diner.
                                Sat next to the RR station.
                                Best late night food!
                                French Fries smothered in gravy, Chili, Open-faced hot roast beef sandwiches, Breakfast anytime.
                                Everyone's favorite place after being out and tipping a few!
                                <message edited by Foodbme on Wed, 10/26/11 5:04 PM>

starfire62

• Total Posts: 220
                                  Re:Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. Wed, 10/26/11 6:30 PM (permalink)
                                  in buffalo ny we had a rest  called bailo's roast beef on baily ave.was great,much better than scwabls.

JonathanD

• Total Posts: 1
                                    Re:Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. Fri, 11/18/11 10:03 AM (permalink)
                                    dews

In Howell MI. there was the best buger joint called Anthonys, the Buster burger and Belly Buster were the best burgers we ever ate. Family owned and cooked to order, onion rings that were never too greasy. Sold business/land to a schister (sp) that tore it down for a used car lot then went to prison for fraud. 

I was just telling my wife about this place, sad to hear it is no longer open. Belly Buster was awesome!!!
                                    Family moved away from Michigan about 20 years ago so its been a long time since I had one, and now it looks like I will never have one again oh well just one more reason not to go back lol

Edit: The whole reason I found this board was that I was searching for Anthony's on Google and found your good review of them and I have to say although they are gone they will not be forgotten.
                                    <message edited by JonathanD on Fri, 11/18/11 10:05 AM>

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
                                      Re:Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. Fri, 11/18/11 3:35 PM (permalink)
                                      Al Green's Drive-in in Indianapolis was my initiation to the humongous breaded pork tenderloin sandwich. It closed long ago but was a classic that lives on.

Millie's Drive-in in Des Moines, Iowa was the revered equivalent and still gets fondly remembered for its tenderloins. It comes up time and again to this day.

fishtaco

• Total Posts: 742
                                        Re:Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. Fri, 11/18/11 3:48 PM (permalink)
                                        Davydd

Al Green's Drive-in in Indianapolis was my initiation to the humongous breaded pork tenderloin sandwich. It closed long ago but was a classic that lives on.

Millie's Drive-in in Des Moines, Iowa was the revered equivalent and still gets fondly remembered for its tenderloins. It comes up time and again to this day.

Davydd, Grew up right around Al Greens. One of the biggest tenderloins I know of to this day. Had the sceen there for movies too. And right across the street. Indiana's first shopping center, Eastgate.

Ketteract

Re:Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. Wed, 03/14/12 9:53 PM (permalink)
                                          I'm going to shamelessly bump this because I believe there are more fond memories to be collected!

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3705
                                            Re:Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. Thu, 03/29/12 2:42 PM (permalink)
                                            The Villanova Inn, New Castle, PA.  Great pizza, wonderful bar food, cheap beer.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                              • No New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                              • Read Message
                                              • Post New Thread
                                              • Reply to message
                                              • Post New Poll
                                              • Submit Vote
                                              • Post reward post
                                              • Delete my own posts
                                              • Delete my own threads
                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com