Location,location,feed them what they want to EAT

Author
genewj
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 370
2006/09/02 17:29:52 (permalink)

Location,location,feed them what they want to EAT

We have 3 locations and 3 custom built carts..
We sell hi end Gourmet Hot Dogs and on fri,sat and sun specials which consist of a Grilled texas toast sandwich with egg, cheese and meat..$4.00..3 meat ball sandwich with sauce and cheese,$4.00 and what makes our units so special is we have a custom designed smoker on each one.."What u smell is our smokin fresh pulled pork"
The sandwich goes for $4.50 the plate $6.50.
The hi end items are what make the profit..
but u have to have the right LOCATION!!!

19 Replies Related Threads

John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Location,location,feed them what they want to EAT 2006/09/03 07:14:45 (permalink)
    Very reasonable prices, wish you were nearby.

John
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Location,location,feed them what they want to EAT 2006/09/03 09:20:05 (permalink)
    genewj:

How 'bout some pics to go along with them prices?
    bassrocker4u2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 534
    RE: Location,location,feed them what they want to EAT 2006/09/03 18:48:28 (permalink)
    dang, i am hungry! what sides come with the plate? where are u?
    nice job, on the menu, and the whole business plan.
    EddyBees Dogs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: Location,location,feed them what they want to EAT 2006/09/04 00:48:09 (permalink)
    My best sellers are my huge fresh Colorado brats for 4.00 with grilled kraut and onions on a hoagie roll. Four bucks seems high for a brat, but the value with the size makes up for it alone, and people will gladly pay more for the fresh grilled vs. the precooked kind. I also sell cajun smoked pork loin sands for $5.00 right from my cart. Another big seller is philly steak sands which I sell for $5.00, or my own "Monterray" steak sand with japs, onions, chipotle spice, and nacho cheese. Man food! I have to sell beef hot dogs for $2.00 , and the mark-up is still great, but not a big seller. Denver is not a hot dog town, and most won't pay for quality. Anyway, I am still looking for a regular location during the lunch hours M-F and cant find a good place. God bless the hot weather, bottled water, Sam's Club, and kids weekend sports.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    RE: Location,location,feed them what they want to EAT 2006/09/05 19:09:00 (permalink)
    Eddy Bees Dogs's put that cart right in front of the employees entrance to your biggest hospital from 10:30 until at least 2:00PM.And be ready to serve at 10:30 because there are many Cath wards that start very early in the morning and every time I cater them they want lunch at 10:30 until 2:00 PM. Most hospitals have terrible food...Rubber Chicken on Monday….. Puny Pasta on Tuesday......were not sure it's beef on Wednesday.........Antique Ham on Thursday .....And the Oh God not Fish again on Friday. When I walk into the Cath ward to serve, those people just go crazy. They dig in and some will eat 3 or 4 big sandwiches. I don’t care because the drug companies pay me $14.50 per person for 89 meals. I always serve BBQ (Pulled Pork) Baked Beans, Potato Salad, Corn on the Cob, they buy their drinks out of the machine. Every one loves it Now here is your down side, the hospitals will hate you for doing the food thing right outside their door because it will affect their lunch room income. So make sure your strictly legal I mean by the book. They (the hospitals) are a big bucks player and they'll call the health department, zoning, and the police, so have your act together. But here in Springfield while I was getting all my permits the building and zoning department said hey if you want to work downtown Springfield streets just come in 3 days in advance and give us the numbers on the parking meters you want blocked and for a fee of $3.75 per day per meter you can have as many meters as you want blocked off. I asked if there were a number or limit of days I could do it and they said no we don’t care it’s the same income we get on a normal days usage anyway. Give it a thought, my plan is to buy to carts this winter one for each hospital.
    Jack@DrofBBQ.com
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Location,location,feed them what they want to EAT 2006/09/05 19:18:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Dr of BBQ

Eddy Bees Dogs's put that cart right in front of the employees entrance to your biggest hospital from 10:30 until at least 2:00PM.And be ready to serve at 10:30 because there are many Cath wards that start very early in the morning and every time I cater them they want lunch at 10:30 until 2:00 PM. Most hospitals have terrible food...Rubber Chicken on Monday….. Puny Pasta on Tuesday......were not sure it's beef on Wednesday.........Antique Ham on Thursday .....And the Oh God not Fish again on Friday. They dig in and some will eat 3 or 4 big sandwiches. I don’t care because the drug companies pay me $14.50 per person for 89 meals. I always serve BBQ (Pulled Pork) Baked Beans, Potato Salad, Corn on the Cob, they buy their drinks out of the machine. Every one loves it Now here is your down side, the hospitals will hate you for doing the food thing right outside their door because it will affect their lunch room income. So make sure your strictly legal I mean by the book. They (the hospitals) are a big bucks player and they'll call the health department, zoning, and the police, so have your act together. But here in Springfield while I was getting all my permits the building and zoning department said hey if you want to work downtown Springfield streets just come in 3 days in advance and give us the numbers on the parking meters you want blocked and for a fee of $3.75 per day per meter you can have as many meters as you want blocked off. I asked if there were a number or limit of days I could do it and they said no we don’t care it’s the same income we get on a normal days usage anyway. Give it a thought, my plan is to buy to carts this winter one for each hospital.
    Jack@DrofBBQ.com

"When I walk into the Cath ward to serve, those people just go crazy."

You solicit business from a hospital's cardiac cath. ward
    You should be banned from the hospital(s), or worse.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Location,location,feed them what they want to EAT 2006/09/05 19:42:01 (permalink)
    Adjudicator wrote: you solicit business from a hospital's cardiac cath. ward...You should be banned from the hospital(s), or worse.

I assume your being facetious if not you’re in my mind inappropriately condemning my food service for what ever reason. Do you think hospital employees eat more healthy foods than the rest of the world? Or do you think just those in the cath wards eat more healthy foods than the rest of us? Sorry Charlie but either way it's not true. My best friend is the states leading cardiologist and he can’t get enough of my BBQ. The other 4 or 5 doctor’s that are usually on duty when I feed the cath ward all eat my food. But to answer your question no I don’t currently solicit business from a hospital's cardiac cath. ward, they call me 4 or 5 times a year and ask what days I have open so they can schedule lunch. That’s how I started in this business by serving BBQ to doctor’s offices and both hospitals. And so the chief surgeon of St Johns Hospital gave me The Doctor of BBQ name.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Location,location,feed them what they want to EAT 2006/09/05 19:52:12 (permalink)
    My impression was that you were soliciting patients from the cardiac cath. ward. Silly me. Sorry if I didn't re-read your entire email before I posted. However, your offerings do not exactly remind me of something that is heart-healthy (nor do most other vendors, restaurants, etc.) No offense intended on a personal basis.
    pdxyyz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 411
    RE: Location,location,feed them what they want to EAT 2006/09/05 21:07:41 (permalink)
    My favourite hot dog guy retired earlier this year. His cart was the first thing I saw when I went for my interview at Ryerson University in 1986. I also had one last hot dog when I left the university in 1994 and moved to the US. Every time I go back I have a dog from Ernie.

Ernie had a great location at the main entrance to the admin building, but there was alot more to Ernie than the location and the dogs.

Here's the farewell article from the Toronto Star.

FRANKS FOR THE MEMORIES

Louise Brown - The Toronto Star - March 3, 2006

Professor Hotdog has hung up his tongs - with relish.

After 25 years flipping franks outside Ryerson University, where he serve political quips with the pop and even launched a bursary in his name, Ernie the Hot Dog Vendor, downtown Toront's most famous purveyor of tube steak, retired yesterday for the second time in his life.

The first time, he fled a career in electrical engineering because he was weary of the corporate rat race.

Now, at 78, after a quarter century of curbside catering, he said simply: "It's time to go."

His "regulars" say they will miss this philosopher-chef who fed their spirits as well as their stomachs.

"The best part of Ernie is the kibitzing and the talk and the fun," sad John McBride, a manager at Sam the Record Man around the corner, who often brought Ernie msical tapes to play for his takeout diners. The customer favourite? Best of the Village People.

McBride also appreciated the added touch of cany Ernie offered as dessert.

"Hey, those fancy restaurants have nothing on us. They may server after-dinner mints, but I serve after-lunch jujubes," said Ernie, whose last name is Alexander but who likes to keep his real first name secret so it can be part of Ryerson's annual student scavenger hunt.

With a wink, Ernie said the secret ingredient of his hot dogs is "a magic barbecue sauce made with special herbs and spices gathered at night from the forks of the Credit."

University staff yesterday presented Ernie with a gift of their thanks. But From the stream of visitors, it's clear students will miss him the most.

"When your life is so rushed it's nice to have someone talk to you and not just take the money and go," student Kelly Wright said as she squirted ketchup on her final Ernie veggie-dog.

Behind her, Ernie in a patriotic Olympic toque and sweater, engaged in a typical rant at the govenment for not steering enough money to higher learning.

"Look, I see these Olympic athletes donate money to younger kids in sport and that's great, but let's not forget the goddamn university students who work so hard to do their school work and put food on the table and who sometimes drop out because they can't afford the basics of everyday life.

"That's why I set up a bursary for kids in their second term. That's when you start running out of money and you can't even afford a beer after you get home from your part-time job.

"Ryerson students have been good to me and I beleive in giving back."

With his homespun wisdom and cornball jokes, this garrulous grandfather of one and father of four generates loyalty from an internatonal clientele.

One man from Flint, Michigan, pops by each summer and takes a hot dog all the way home to warm up. A Hong Kong businessman stopped by once out of curiosity about the "Ernie" hot dogs that his colleague back home - a Ryerson grad - kept raving about.

And two Ryerson lovebirds who wooed over Ernie's wieners dragged their wedding party from the church to an ope=ari feed at ERnie's cart.

"Ryerson's very international and every year another group of customers graduates into every walk of life," said Ernie, and engineering graduate of the University of Toronto who spent decades travelling North America marketing a fibre-optic communicatuons sytem to power utility companies.

But he grew disenchanted and cashed out early, only to be hooked by a friend to trying hot-dog sales.

For the past 15 years, he has steered the sales of one day a year toward setting up a $500 bursary for students. Now Ernie is scrambling to raise $25,000 as an endowment for these bursaries after he's gone. He has raised about $20,000.

Stationed in the shadow of the Yonge St. strip at the corner of Victoria and Gould Sts., Ernie - who was given that nickname by a customer his first day on the job - says he has had a window on a colourful corner of the city.

So colourgul, he has co-written a musica called Hot Dog: The Life and Times of Ernie, about the characters who drift through the nearby Yonge - Dundas Square and the Ryerson pond across the street.

"You're familiar with Damon Runyan, a writer whose beat was Times Square in New York? Well, we've written a play about Dundas Square and characters around our corner."

So Ernie, a leukemia survivor, will live on , on an even larger stage.

Naturally, he hope the "world premiere" will be at Ryerson.
    EddyBees Dogs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: Location,location,feed them what they want to EAT 2006/09/06 01:59:42 (permalink)
    A hospital isnt a bad idea, but how do I convince a property manager to let me use a couple of parking spaces for a reasonable rent? They all give me the brush off. I have tried shopping malls, big sporting goods stores, an big outdoor /fishing store, and office building complexes. The problem I seem to have is the non-existent fear of liability. I have insurance and all the permits needed for the county and city, or I can get them easily.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Location,location,feed them what they want to EAT 2006/09/06 15:07:41 (permalink)
    A hospital isn’t a bad idea, but how do I convince a property manager to let me use a couple of parking spaces for a reasonable rent? I have tried shopping malls, big sporting goods stores, an big outdoor /fishing store, and office building complexes.
    I don't have an answer to that one except I just cut a deal with a Kmart store and they thought it was great getting a BBQ trailer on their lot. I think the only way to find one is to keep knocking on doors and asking. Dress like a pro and take your cart with you and let them see it. Hell, call them and tell them you'll do a free lunch for their employees. Or if your real ballsy just show up and start serving free dogs to everyone that walks out the door of a store or office, in an hour you'll have the attention of the manager and ALL the staff. Then make your pitch. Also I made up a web page so that they could see everything from the Internet in their office. Talk to a realtor they always know who's willing to do a deal and who not.
    Jack@DrofBBQ.com
    www.DrofBBQ.com
    texgrill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 302
    RE: Location,location,feed them what they want to EAT 2006/09/07 10:12:35 (permalink)
    Eddy

I agree with the Dr of BBQ. Appearance is everything when dealing with a manager or business owner. I have some nice golf type shirts with my logo that I use at meetings. Bring all your paperwork in an organized folder or binder. They will have the following concerns (sounds like you have already discovered)- liability, health department, sanitation, and appearance of your cart. Have some good photos of your cart and setup. Don't be too pushy.....leave the info if they are busy and call later for an appointment.
    I used this same approach for my Home Depot location that I have aqquired recently.

Ronnie
    Tex Grill
    genewj
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Location,location,feed them what they want to EAT 2006/09/13 21:45:25 (permalink)
    Well, someone put down the car washes, but if u have a good one or three u'r in them...We do a nice business on friday,saturday and sunday..We are in a high end area Bradenton/Sarasota Fl. Lots of Bux..One of the keys is feed them what they wantg to eat..Our NY Dogs, Coney Island Dogs with coney Island sauce and our Chicago Dog are all bigga sellers..Lots of Moneyed Snow Birds..
    Our locals go for the pulled pork and bigga dog
    Cornbread
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 53
    RE: Location,location,feed them what they want to EAT 2006/09/14 13:07:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by genewj

Well, someone put down the car washes, but if u have a good one or three u'r in them...We do a nice business on friday,saturday and sunday..We are in a high end area Bradenton/Sarasota Fl. Lots of Bux..One of the keys is feed them what they wantg to eat..Our NY Dogs, Coney Island Dogs with coney Island sauce and our Chicago Dog are all bigga sellers..Lots of Moneyed Snow Birds..
    Our locals go for the pulled pork and bigga dog

Just moved to Sarasota and have been looking for a good hot dog. Can you shoot me a message and let me know where you are at so I can pay your store a visit? Thanks.
    genewj
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Location,location,feed them what they want to EAT 2006/09/30 09:26:38 (permalink)
    On Saturdays: On State Road 70 & 34 ST. IN parking lot opposite Sweet Bay Market and across from MacDonalds..Sabratts,Ball Parks,Best Kosher
    Rootsman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: Location,location,feed them what they want to EAT 2007/01/23 18:43:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Dr of BBQ

I just cut a deal with a Kmart store and they thought it was great getting a BBQ trailer on their lot.

Jack, a couple of questions if you don't mind.
    1) How much do you pay for rent and what's included?
    2) Where in the lot do you park and what would the prefered spot be?
    3) Any terms? For example, days and hours of operation requirements.
    4) Must you move the trailer everyday?
    5) How do you handle electricity from the K-Mart building? 50 amp?

For those that have had electric meters set up at semi permanent locations, what's the cost and process like? How long does it take?

Thanks for your help!

Rootsman
    www.JerkToGo.com

Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Location,location,feed them what they want to EAT 2007/01/23 20:25:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rootsman
    1) How much do you pay for rent and what's included?
    2) Where in the lot do you park and what would the prefered spot be?
    3) Any terms? For example, days and hours of operation requirements.
    4) Must you move the trailer everyday?
    5) How do you handle electricity from the K-Mart building? 50 amp?
    For those that have had electric meters set up at semi permanent locations, what's the cost and process like? How long does it take?
    Thanks for your help!
    Rootsman
    www.JerkToGo.com

Rootsman,
    Here’s my deal at KMart $450.00 per month including electricity.

I'm in the most distant corner from the entrance.

The best spot in my mind is always very close to the entrance to the parking lot. You can be seen from the road or highway and since I do a drive ups during the winter I want easy access from the road.

I never move my trailer, it stays all night.

There is a meter base at the corner where my stand is and KMart pays the bill for it

Setting up a meter base and a breaker box may run $200.00. But then you have deposits for electricity, and in some cases you have to put in a transformer. But that's only if your in an area that has high voltage transmission lines and no standard service.

It doesn’t take long to get all of these things done, it's a matter of weather, how busy the utility company is, and just the standard BS that goes along with starting any new business. It can wear you down very quickly because your going to run into someone sooner or later (or several someone’s) that will start the old “oh no you can't do that, that way” crap. Now how you handle that is up to you. You only have 3 choices, one is get mad the other is to ask for advice on how should I do it, the third is find someone with good political connections to smooth the way for you. That’s my way.

The good ole boys in zoning offices want with all their heart to make you spend tons of money and to force you to give up. But don’t give up, and let them win; just keep working at it day in and day out. It's important to not get discouraged and just keep jumping through all the hoops because in the end it's worth it.

In Springfield we have a rule that you must have an architect do a design on some method of tying down any portable building or trailer so it cost me $150.00 to get that done.

I have to have a letter from my nearest neighbor stating that I may use their restroom. We can't have a porta potty on site.

Your going to run into some BS like that and it gets darned frustrating. But your playing in a different ballpark and they get to set all kinds of silly rules.

Once you’ve got all of that done, most zoning offices will leave you alone. Ours won’t LMAO but most will forget about you and then life is good.
    Jack@DrofBBQ.com
    porkchopexpress
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Location,location,feed them what they want to EAT 2007/01/23 20:56:28 (permalink)
    My meter base cost me $595. But man is it worth it. I found an independant hardware store like ACE and I pay him by the day. I set up 4 days a week and he asked for $10 a day. I've started paying him more though beacause he doesn't have a ton of parking and at lunch alot of his spaces are being used by my patrons. I would like to work up a monthly rent just easier on me

Rootsman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: Location,location,feed them what they want to EAT 2007/01/23 22:21:39 (permalink)
    Thanks!

Not having to move the trailer and having electricity 24/7 sure makes things a lot easier.

Since I recently moved my residence and noticed a few locations calling my name, I'm thinking about giving the take-out business another try to supplement my catering business. I'll keep you informed.

Rootsman
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1