Lodging and Breakfast After the Moonlite.....

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Z66 Butch
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 199
2006/01/08 10:35:15 (permalink)

Lodging and Breakfast After the Moonlite.....

We will be coming from north of Indianapolis and plan on driving down on Saturday and getting there just in time for the BBQ. We will most likely stay over night either in the Owensboro area or maybe even drive back to, or close to Louisville and stay the night there.

We would be looking for a budget price motel in a good, safe area. Usually we stay in Days Inn, Super 8, Knights Inn ETC so we can use our Trips Reward card. So we are looking for suggestions........

Next, lets hear some suggestions for breakfast! Sometimes we just eat breakfast at the motel and hit the road BUT since this is The Roadfood.com GTG we will be looking for ideas for a good breakfast place. We will be driving back on I-64 to I-265 and back north on I-65.

Depending on where we stay the night, we could eat breakfast in Owensboro, Louisville or even southern Indiana. If anyone had some good ideas for breakfast, and if you want to join us, post up and we will make the plans!

UPDATE:
We will be eating breakfast at the Beaver Dam Cafe on SUNDAY MORNING Feb. the 19th at 7:30 AM!

Others may be planning on meeting there Saturday morning, check through the thread. The Beaver Dam Cafe is located about 30 miles or 35 min south of Owensboro on Hwy. 231.

I have friends who have ate there several times and from their discription it sounds like a GREAT ROADFOOD PLACE!

Hope to see you there!
Butch

53 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15305
    RE: Lodging and Breakfast After the Moonlite..... 2006/01/08 10:49:45 (permalink)

Butch,
    If you are willing to do an EARLY Breakfast on Sunday, I suggest that we get going into Louisville (crack'a'dawn) for Lynn's Paradise Cafe. It gets REAL busy in the morning when the civilised folks get going so the only way to enjoy it is pretty early...but They are an institution for some excellent breakfasts. See the review on this site for photos and webaddress.

If that turns into a possibility for you, then I suggest that you come back towards Louisville on I-64 after the Owensboro day. There is a Super 8 , a Fairfield Inn and Holiday Inn Express at exit 105 (Corydon) There are also a couple of that level Motels near the freeway in New Albany. I tend to prefer the Corydon exit for visitors due to its easy access and 'less urban' environment.

We live not far off exit 113 (I-64) so Sunday morning convoying to Lynns in Downtown Louisville would be an easy trip (about 25 minutes) and it won't add more than about 10-15 miles total to you driving time. I know that the Bushies will be with us, and any others staying in the Louisville area could join in for a farewell breakfast that morning (Ian's Mom??)(Sundancer?)
    Z66 Butch
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Lodging and Breakfast After the Moonlite..... 2006/01/08 11:30:53 (permalink)
    By checking motel prices online we MAY be staying in or near Owensboro, the prices are about 1/2 of what they are in Louisville. Anyone have suggestions for the Owensboro area for breakfast?

We may even decide to take 231 north and other state roads back home, we do enjoy driving "the back roads".

Butch
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3738
    RE: Lodging and Breakfast After the Moonlite..... 2006/01/09 08:23:41 (permalink)
    Have you ever considered bidding for a room on Priceline? You can get really great deals.............I did a quick check and saw that many people got rooms for under forty dollars a night.
    Here is a list of hotels where people have bid on and gotten rooms at very reasonable prices.

LOUISVILLE

Louisville East

3 Star
    Embassy Suites

Marriott Louisville East

2.5 Star
    Amerisuites Louisville

Courtyard Louisville East

Courtyard Louisville Northeast
    Residence Inn
    Staybridge Suites (another possible hotel; not reported yet)

2 Star
    Fairfield Inn Hurstbourne

Homestead Studio Suites

Clarion Hotel & Conference Center
    Extended StayAmerica
    Candlewood Suites (another possible hotel; not reported yet)

1 Star
    Microtel Inn

Louisville Downtown

4 Star
    The Brown The Seelbach Hilton

3 Star
    Hyatt Regency
    Marriott Downtown
    The Galt House Hotel & Suites

2.5 Star
    Courtyard by Marriott Downtown
    Inn at Jewish Hospital )

Louisville Airport

3 Star
    Louisville Executive West
    2 Star
    La Quinta
    Candlewood Suites (a possible hotel; not reported yet)

Louisville North

2 Star
    Fairfield Inn Louisville North
    Towneplace Suites
    Holiday Inn Louisville North

Brooks-Shepherdsville

2 Star
    Comfort Inn Brooks
    Holiday Inn Express (another possible hotel; not reported yet)

Louisville Southwest

2.5 Star
    Holiday Inn

We have used Priceline many times and have always been delighted.

AvalancheDriver
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: Lodging and Breakfast After the Moonlite..... 2006/01/11 15:10:11 (permalink)
    Butch,

The Beaver Dam Cafe, Beaver Dam, KY, has a great breakfast and there are several antique stores next to the Cafe. It is 26 miles from Owensboro. There is a hotel there that TNAV uses when in town. TNAV, EQ and I have all met at the Cafe for breakfast before.

AvalancheDriver
    pcdiva
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 591
    RE: Lodging and Breakfast After the Moonlite..... 2006/01/11 16:46:22 (permalink)
    I'm staying at the Day's Inn at Owensboro. Hopefully it will be okay. I plan to check in Friday night after the meet up at the Brown Hotel since I don't mind driving at night. Just let me know if I made a BIG mistake. (I know it's an older property, but that doesn't bother me, things like drug dealing on site DO bother me)

Also, can you give more info on the Beaver Dam Cafe?

Alice
    AvalancheDriver
    Junior Burger
    RE: Lodging and Breakfast After the Moonlite..... 2006/01/11 17:56:57 (permalink)
    Beaver Dam Cafe

TV crew films history of Beaver Dam Cafe

When the Beaver Dam Cafe opened in 1921, the idea of television had not been imagined, but now, the Cafe will be part of a television special on southern Kentucky restaurants by WKYU television. “We are producing a 90-minute special for our pledge drive in March 2005,” said Cheryl Beckley, director and producer for WKYU, a part of Western Kentucky University in Bowling Green. “The show is the ‘Dinner Cruise’, and it is for people who like to drive and like to eat new food. It is a taste tour of southern Kentucky.”

AvalancheDriver
    AvalancheDriver
    Junior Burger
    RE: Lodging and Breakfast After the Moonlite..... 2006/01/11 17:59:29 (permalink)
    http://www.wkyupbs.org/dinnercruise/
    Z66 Butch
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Lodging and Breakfast After the Moonlite..... 2006/01/11 18:26:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by AvalancheDriver

Butch,

The Beaver Dam Cafe, Beaver Dam, KY, has a great breakfast and there are several antique stores next to the Cafe. It is 26 miles from Owensboro. There is a hotel there that TNAV uses when in town. TNAV, EQ and I have all met at the Cafe for breakfast before.

AvalancheDriver

Glad you found me over here! I have heard you guys talk about the Beaver Dam Cafe in the past and if you recommend it that is good enough for me! I am still checking prices on motels in the area, what motel in Beaver Dam are you talking about?

Butch
    Z66 Butch
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Lodging and Breakfast After the Moonlite..... 2006/01/11 18:31:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by pcdiva

I'm staying at the Day's Inn at Owensboro. Hopefully it will be okay. I plan to check in Friday night after the meet up at the Brown Hotel since I don't mind driving at night. Just let me know if I made a BIG mistake. (I know it's an older property, but that doesn't bother me, things like drug dealing on site DO bother me)

Also, can you give more info on the Beaver Dam Cafe?

Alice

OK it looks like the Days Inn of Owensboro on the south side on 231 is about $20 a night less than the newer one in Beaver Dam. If Murman tells me it is a safe area we will stay there and drive down to the Beaver Dam Cafe Sunday morning for breakfast. What say ye Murman AvalancheDriver ?

Butch
    Poverty Pete
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2314
    RE: Lodging and Breakfast After the Moonlite..... 2006/01/11 19:07:04 (permalink)
    I'm staying in Owensboro Friday night, and might like to check out Beaver Dam Cafe Saturday morning, if anyone is interested. The gang from Louisville won't be hitting Owensboro on Saturday until mid-afternoon.
    Z66 Butch
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Lodging and Breakfast After the Moonlite..... 2006/01/11 22:11:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Poverty Pete

I'm staying in Owensboro Friday night, and might like to check out Beaver Dam Cafe Saturday morning, if anyone is interested. The gang from Louisville won't be hitting Owensboro on Saturday until mid-afternoon.

It looks like we have ourselves a convoy! Now what time does everyone want to meet for breakfast? We are not real early risers unless we have to but we will make it anytime...........do they get a rush after 8 or 9AM? Anyone know..........

Butch
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Lodging and Breakfast After the Moonlite..... 2006/01/11 23:47:54 (permalink)

Butch...
    In Beaver Dam? If you and Av Driver and Poverty Pete show up at the same time they'll have to call the county to get someone to come out and direct traffic!!

Don't forget to eat light...The dinner starts about 3pm.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13523
    RE: Lodging and Breakfast After the Moonlite..... 2006/01/12 05:20:26 (permalink)
    Where is Beaver Dam?

I will be coming from Louisville where I probably will meet up with The Mayor for some hot brown. I think Iwannago will be flying in and has requested for me to do a pick up at the airport in midafternoon. If that is the case, I would like to meet at the famous hotel downtown for the famous sandwich.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Z66 Butch
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Lodging and Breakfast After the Moonlite..... 2006/01/12 07:47:03 (permalink)
    OOPS! I misread! We are going to the Beaver Dam Cafe on Sunday morning! We will be coming to the Moonlite on Saturday and staying overnight Saturday night. Does this work for anyone else?

Butch
    AvalancheDriver
    Junior Burger
    RE: Lodging and Breakfast After the Moonlite..... 2006/01/12 08:58:00 (permalink)

The Beaver Dam Cafe is on the left hand side of 231 in Beaver Dam.

Butch,

The hotel you selected will be fine.

Pete,

Have you tried Shady Rest BBQ, HWY 60 East, Owensboro? I could eat at the Beaver Dam Cafe on Saturday morning too...

AvalancheDriver
    Z66 Butch
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Lodging and Breakfast After the Moonlite..... 2006/01/12 18:22:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by AvalancheDriver

The Beaver Dam Cafe is on the left hand side of 231 in Beaver Dam.

Butch,

The hotel you selected will be fine.

Pete,

Have you tried Shady Rest BBQ, HWY 60 East, Owensboro? I could eat at the Beaver Dam Cafe on Saturday morning too...

AvalancheDriver

Doesn't your wife ever cook you breakfast? J/K!

Butch
    Poverty Pete
    RE: Lodging and Breakfast After the Moonlite..... 2006/01/12 18:29:36 (permalink)
    Seems like I recall stopping at the Shady Rest, but this would have been back around 1985. Is there a pig holding a knife and fork painted on the side of the building?
    pcdiva
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Lodging and Breakfast After the Moonlite..... 2006/01/13 07:59:40 (permalink)
    I was planning on the Beaver Dam for Sunday Breakfast. Acording to the info AvelancheDriver sent they open at 6 AM Sunday and 5:30 AM on Saturday. That's early for me since it's a half hour drive beforehand. But others have mentioned to get there early. So I'm game for whatever the majority wants. Maybe leave around 7 to get there at 7:30? What time zone is Beaver Dam, Eastern or Central?

I'll be in Owensboro Friday night late - Monday morning fairly late 10 or so. I'm checking in on Friday night after the Brown Hotel and driving back to MI on Monday so I can take my time. Thanks for letting me know the Day's Inn is OK. As a female travelling alone I have to worry about that stuff so my Mom doesn't do it for me. (Geez! 40-something years old, and my Mom still treats me like I don't have a lick of sense sometimes. (But I digress))

If anyone wants to make Saturday Breakfast plans, just let me know.

Alice
    Poverty Pete
    RE: Lodging and Breakfast After the Moonlite..... 2006/01/13 18:06:10 (permalink)
    Alice, I'm staying at Fairfield Inn in Owensboro, on the bypass loop, on Friday. We'll definitely have to find someplace Saturday morning. The Louisville crowd won't be hitting town till mid-afternoon.
    Z66 Butch
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Lodging and Breakfast After the Moonlite..... 2006/01/13 18:27:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by pcdiva

I was planning on the Beaver Dam for Sunday Breakfast. Acording to the info AvelancheDriver sent they open at 6 AM Sunday and 5:30 AM on Saturday. That's early for me since it's a half hour drive beforehand. But others have mentioned to get there early. So I'm game for whatever the majority wants. Maybe leave around 7 to get there at 7:30? What time zone is Beaver Dam, Eastern or Central?

Alice

Beaver Dam is in the Central Time Zone. 7:30 sounds OK to us! Now who wants to join us on SUNDAY MORNING?

Butch
    pcdiva
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Lodging and Breakfast After the Moonlite..... 2006/01/16 16:48:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Poverty Pete

Alice, I'm staying at Fairfield Inn in Owensboro, on the bypass loop, on Friday. We'll definitely have to find someplace Saturday morning. The Louisville crowd won't be hitting town till mid-afternoon.

Sounds like a plan to me. The coolest thing about this trip so far is that I don't think I'll have to play the "whadya want" game

"Whadya want?" "I dunno, whadya want?" and whatever the first person decides he/she wants to eat, the other person had for lunch or isn't in the mood, so you go another round. It seems to be my family's favorite game when we get together! <grin>

Alice
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Lodging and Breakfast After the Moonlite..... 2006/01/16 17:01:46 (permalink)

Alice,
    I know what you mean about the decision game. I used to hate trying to squeeze "where to eat" ideas from some of my family elders (as a courtesy!!). Now they get their ideas ready quickly, cause once it is announced where we are going, we're gone!!. Being part of the roadfood clan has given me new confidence!...AND it has broadened my tastes too. I seem to harp on BBQ a lot, but I love to check out local crusine wherever we are (Shellfish anyone??)
    Poverty Pete
    RE: Lodging and Breakfast After the Moonlite..... 2006/01/16 19:51:44 (permalink)
    I hear you can find good oysters in Savannah, if you know where to look.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Lodging and Breakfast After the Moonlite..... 2006/01/16 20:48:53 (permalink)

Does the song title "Moon River" ring any bells, Poverty???
    pcdiva
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Lodging and Breakfast After the Moonlite..... 2006/01/17 08:32:56 (permalink)
    Lots of good food in Savannah, if you can put up with the crowds. I prefer the little places out from the city.

Alice
    (Transplanted Southerner)
    pcdiva
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Lodging and Breakfast After the Moonlite..... 2006/01/19 14:59:31 (permalink)
    I was looking at the map to the Beaver Dam cafe and wondering if is there a reason to go on the Green River Parkway rather than straight down 231? (less traffic, fewer stop lights, more scenic????) Since I'm not from the area, I'm just curious. And I've noticed the vagueries of different mapping software as well... (well to get to NYC, first you go to Seattle, then Memphis, then Atlanta, then NYC and that's fron New Jersey!!!)

I am so excited about this trip!!!!

Alice
    Z66 Butch
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Lodging and Breakfast After the Moonlite..... 2006/01/19 15:16:32 (permalink)
    I see that 231 goes though Masonville, I am not sure how congested it is around there. AvalancheDriver lives down that way maybe he will chime in.

Butch
    Poverty Pete
    RE: Lodging and Breakfast After the Moonlite..... 2006/01/19 23:36:02 (permalink)
    AvalancheDriver is excellent dining company, as are his wife and daughter. We met up last weekend and had lunch and a couple of fine ales.
    Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Lodging and Breakfast After the Moonlite..... 2006/01/19 23:57:14 (permalink)
    pcdiva, you can take 231 to Beaver Dam just as easily as you can take the Green River Parkway (now known as the Natcher Parkway). There's not much difference between the two roads except you can go faster on the parkway--and pay 60 cents for the privilege. If you go down 231, you'll see nothing but rural landscape until you get to Hartford. Beaver Dam is just a few miles beyond Hartford; the two towns are very close together.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1