Logbook entry: McSweeney's

Author
wallhd
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 430
2008/07/05 20:09:37 (permalink)

Logbook entry: McSweeney's

McSweeney's currently operates three locations, all on the outskirts of Plattsburgh NY

Their their Michigans are very good, one small fault (IMHO) is that their onions are usually not very finely chopped or diced.

McSweeney's offers "regular" (i.e. frozen) french fires and homemade ones as well. No contest here, the homemade ones are the way to go.

Just a couple of additions to the excellent review.

Wally
Plattsburgh NY

6 Replies Related Threads

ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 900
    RE: Logbook entry: McSweeney's 2008/07/05 20:50:57 (permalink)
    wallhd, do you know of other hot dog shops that use the same buns (that're closed at both ends)? I ask because I've only seen this type in Tuscon, Arizona with Sororan dogs. Those Michigans look mighty good, though! Chris
    wallhd
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Logbook entry: McSweeney's 2008/07/05 21:15:08 (permalink)
    Virtually all of the "hot dog stands" in this area, where Michigan Red Hots are regional a specialty, use this style bun. In addition to McSweeney's some others include Clare & Carl's two locations; Gus' Red Hots (both reviewed or logged on roadfood.com); and Ronnie's Michigans. Many other places serve Michigan Hot Dogs as part of their larger menus and they also all use this style bun.

What I have come to call the Michigan Belt" includes northeatern New York, generally from Ticonderoga to the Canadian Border and West to perhaps Malone and Tupper Lake. Also included is a small portion of northwestern Vermont along Lake Champlain from Burlington north.

There was a "bun crisis" hereabouts as few years ago. A local(actually regional) bakery, Boyuea/Fassetts, was pretty much the sole producer of this style bun. When this family-owned business sold out and their Plattsburgh bakery was shutdown, the pans that the buns were baked in evidently got thrown away. The buns currently used by everyone are similar but somewhat smaller.

An unrelated comment about Michigan Hot Dogs: While a "Michigan with" (onions, that is) is most common; obviously many times one orders a "Michigan without", The whole taste is noticeably different, but it allows the diner to more fully savor the flavor of the sauce IMHO.

Probably more than you wanted to know.

Wally
    Matt Gleason
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: Logbook entry: McSweeney's 2008/07/08 19:45:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wallhd

McSweeney's currently operates three locations, all on the outskirts of Plattsburgh NY

Their their Michigans are very good, one small fault (IMHO) is that their onions are usually not very finely chopped or diced.

McSweeney's offers "regular" (i.e. frozen) french fires and homemade ones as well. No contest here, the homemade ones are the way to go.

Just a couple of additions to the excellent review.

Wally
    Plattsburgh NY

I have noticed that the farther north you travel, the bigger the onions! Libby's Lunch in New Jersey has onions as fine as snow, Dallas Weiners and Coney Island in the Hudson Valley NY offer about 1/8" bits, Albany area are about 1/4" and way up north the onions are about 3/8" to 1/2" chunks.
    Matt
    wallhd
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Logbook entry: McSweeney's 2008/07/11 17:00:15 (permalink)
    Many of the local "stands" have begun to use commercially chopped onions which are quite finely chopped and are ok as long as they are reasonably fresh.

I think the 3 McSweeney's locations chop their own onions and there is a considerable variation in the size of the "cubes' from one day to they next.

Wally
    DogsOnTheGo
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: Logbook entry: McSweeney's 2008/09/02 14:07:30 (permalink)
    Wallhd-
    Do you know what kind Hot Dog McSweeney's uses? I often wondered...but never did asked. I haven't been up there since the "bun crisis." I am from the Lake George area, but my family is from Peru, Keesville, Harkness areas.
    wallhd
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Logbook entry: McSweeney's 2008/09/02 14:33:46 (permalink)
    Hello DogsOnTheGo,

Nope I'm afraid I don't know what brand of dog Mc Sweeney's uses. The next time I'm in their NYS Route 3 location (west of Plattsburgh near I-87 exit 37), I'll ask the owner, Mike Farrell, and post his response.

I do know that the dog McSweeney's uses has a much better flavor than the dog (brand also unknown)used by Clare & Carl's. The folks who own C&C claim they have used the same brand of dog for years. Perhaps so, but the flavor is sure different from that of a few years ago.

Peru, Keeseville, Harkness eh?

I graduated from Peru Central many, many years ago. My older kid graduated from there as well and my Mom retired from teaching music there in 1969. We attend Sunday services at Peru Community. Small world sometimes.

Wally
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1