Lombardi's Pizza-delivery (WITH PICS)

Author
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2391
2007/12/10 00:31:36 (permalink)

Lombardi's Pizza-delivery (WITH PICS)

My girlfriend and I had a hankering for Lombardi's pizza tonight, so we ordered a large (8 slices), half roasted red peppers and half pepperoni. It took about an hour ro arrive. Here's the final product:

The box from Lombardi's. They are generally considered to be the first pizzeria in the U.S. opening in 1905 and they still have the same coal fired oven that has been "grandfathered" in as coal ovens aren't allowed in NYC anymore. Some of the best pizza makers started at Lombardi's: Totonnos and Patsy's that I know of.

My half with pepperoni. I do love their toppings. their pepperoni has a nice thick cut, a meaty taste and a slight crispiness that results from cooking in the intense heat of the coal oven. Notice how it curls up? I love that! This pepperoni is miles beyond the thin sliced generic stuff at the supermarket.

My girlfriend's helf with roasted red peppers. they roast the peppers in the coal oven which gives them a nice smoky sweetness.

Sorry, in my pie lust, I forgot to take a pic before I tore into this baby. I love Lombardi's and I've never been there, only have had delivery. I think the pies hold up well having traveled. That being said, I don't think it's the best pie I have ever eaten. The crust is good and chewy, but lacks the balance between crispy and chewy that I think is so elusive for many pie makers. The top of the crust bubbles up nicely, the cheese is fresh mozzarella and the sauce is subtly sweet. The fresh basil adds a welcome herbiness to the pie. I'd eat there in a heartbeat and get delivery in a flash, but if someone suggested Totonnos (or DiFaras, Grimaldis) I'd try them first.

26 Replies Related Threads

ScreamingChicken
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4978
    RE: Lombardi's Pizza-delivery (WITH PICS) 2007/12/10 10:17:34 (permalink)
    I'm not a pepper fan but the pepperoni side looks really good. Like you, I like it when the pepperoni is above the cheese and the edges curl and get charred just a touch.

Brad
    Ciaoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 375
    RE: Lombardi's Pizza-delivery (WITH PICS) 2007/12/10 10:25:52 (permalink)
    "...lacks the balance between crispy and chewy that I think is so elusive for many pie makers."

You're right...this is a challenge for most pizzerias. IMO, Pepe's (in New Haven...haven't tried the Fairfield or Manchester locations yet) seems to be the most consistent at finding that balance. A meal of just their crust would be sublime. Adding their toppings (especially their fresh clams or their sausage) is almost gilding the lily!
    Russ Jackson
    • Total Posts : 2257
    RE: Lombardi's Pizza-delivery (WITH PICS) 2007/12/10 10:28:51 (permalink)
    Thank you for the pic it gives me reason to live again. Living in Ohio and Southern California for the past 2 decades I havent seen a pizza like that in over 20 years. I am jealous and it appears I need to go to New York. Thanks and have a great day Russ.
    LoveMyLab
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 150
    RE: Lombardi's Pizza-delivery (WITH PICS) 2007/12/10 10:34:11 (permalink)
    Looks like the Picasso of Pizza! Thanks for the pictures. Cooking methods make a huge difference with pizza. Saw the 1/2 eaten pizza and laughed. At least you remembered. We went to Norma's Ocean Diner in Seaside,Oregon. Brought the camera. Taken in by the great food, we forgot to take pictures!
    LoveMyLab
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 150
    RE: Lombardi's Pizza-delivery (WITH PICS) 2007/12/10 10:38:23 (permalink)
    Wanted to add this. The paper under the pizza was not soaked with grease. This is a good sign! I think if a pizza is loaded with grease, they do not use high quality ingredients.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6321
    RE: Lombardi's Pizza-delivery (WITH PICS) 2007/12/10 10:41:19 (permalink)
    If Lombardi's was the first it sure looks like they intend to remain first in all aspects. Those pizzas look great.
    BTB
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 207
    RE: Lombardi's Pizza-delivery (WITH PICS) 2007/12/10 17:10:11 (permalink)
    Do they deliver to Florida ? ? ?
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6321
    RE: Lombardi's Pizza-delivery (WITH PICS) 2007/12/10 17:13:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BTB

Cold.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4591
    RE: Lombardi's Pizza-delivery (WITH PICS) 2007/12/10 17:23:03 (permalink)
    That really looked good.
    desertdog
    • Total Posts : 1946
    RE: Lombardi's Pizza-delivery (WITH PICS) 2007/12/10 17:51:42 (permalink)

Ha Ha!! This has got to be the first time I've seen someone do a food review on a delivery! Great stuff. Pie looks awesome!

DD

Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
    • Total Posts : 1350
    RE: Lombardi's Pizza-delivery (WITH PICS) 2007/12/10 17:58:22 (permalink)
    Lombardi's makes some of the best pizza in NYC. As for its claim that it served the first pizza in US, well sorta. Many people accept the theory that a restaurant named Lombardi's served the first pizza in the US, but that restaurant closed in the 70's. This one opened years later, with the same name, near the original, but not in the same building. Any family connection between the two is kind of unclear. But there's no denying the quality of the pies.

Edit: One more thing - since they aren't in the same building as the original Lombardi's, obviously they aren't using the same oven the original one did. However, they uncovered an old coal oven in this building, which is how they got around the NYC laws.
    desertdog
    • Total Posts : 1946
    RE: Lombardi's Pizza-delivery (WITH PICS) 2007/12/10 18:24:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bruce Bilmes & Sue Boyle

Lombardi's makes some of the best pizza in NYC. As for its claim that it served the first pizza in US, well sorta. Many people accept the theory that a restaurant named Lombardi's served the first pizza in the US, but that restaurant closed in the 70's. This one opened years later, with the same name, near the original, but not in the same building. Any family connection between the two is kind of unclear.

I thought it was Gary, Indiana??????
    billyboy
    RE: Lombardi's Pizza-delivery (WITH PICS) 2007/12/10 18:30:16 (permalink)
    Actually, my review of adrienne's pizzabar in NYC was also delivery
    quote:
    Originally posted by desertdog

Ha Ha!! This has got to be the first time I've seen someone do a food review on a delivery! Great stuff. Pie looks awesome!

DD

Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
    • Total Posts : 1350
    RE: Lombardi's Pizza-delivery (WITH PICS) 2007/12/10 19:08:48 (permalink)
    And that Adrienne's pizza looks awesome too. billyboy, are they delivery only?
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    RE: Lombardi's Pizza-delivery (WITH PICS) 2007/12/10 19:42:47 (permalink)
    Geez, I am dying here...fantastic looking pizza!!!
    billyboy
    RE: Lombardi's Pizza-delivery (WITH PICS) 2007/12/10 20:28:19 (permalink)
    No, they have sit down too. I've eaten there (forgot the camera) and it was incredible. I had a pizza with fontina, proscuitto and arugula.
    quote:

And that Adrienne's pizza looks awesome too. billyboy, are they delivery only?
    Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: Lombardi's Pizza-delivery (WITH PICS) 2007/12/10 21:50:03 (permalink)
    quote:

Lombardi's makes some of the best pizza in NYC. As for its claim that it served the first pizza in US, well sorta. Many people accept the theory that a restaurant named Lombardi's served the first pizza in the US, but that restaurant closed in the 70's. This one opened years later, with the same name, near the original, but not in the same building. Any family connection between the two is kind of unclear. But there's no denying the quality of the pies.

Edit: One more thing - since they aren't in the same building as the original Lombardi's, obviously they aren't using the same oven the original one did. However, they uncovered an old coal oven in this building, which is how they got around the NYC laws.

That's not exactly the way I understood the story, but it's pretty close...what I have heard is that Mr. Lombardi owned a grocery store on Spring Street at the turn of the century. An employee by the name of Totonno "invented" American pizza at that store, and eventually moved to Coney Island to start his own place. The Lombardi family continued to make pizza at that location (in that famous 1905 oven) until a grandson ran the business into the ground in the mid-80's. The current owner capitalized on the famous name and opened a new place down the street in the mid 90's, using an existing coal oven (the "1905 Lombardi" in the tile is probably about 10 years old). The dude that you always see on all those interminable FoodTV spots never mentions any of this. In fact he ALWAYS talks about his place as if it's been there for over 100 years. The building certainbly has, but the pizzaria is only about 10 years old.

By the way, I think their pizza is the best in NYC (of the brick oven variety).
    HPlatz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 103
    RE: Lombardi's Pizza-delivery (WITH PICS) 2007/12/10 22:36:04 (permalink)
    I would be curious as to how much that baby ran you $ ? Just curious as to what big city/big time pie delivered costs the dazzling urbanite these days, including tip. EDIT: Never mind, I ran the web address on the box for the take out menu and I'm guessing around $25 (?)
    billyboy
    RE: Lombardi's Pizza-delivery (WITH PICS) 2007/12/10 23:19:35 (permalink)
    Exactly right!! "Dazzling urbanite"? Hey, that's catchy. I like it! I'll have to use that.
    quote]Originally posted by HPlatz

I would be curious as to how much that baby ran you $ ? Just curious as to what big city/big time pie delivered costs the dazzling urbanite these days, including tip. EDIT: Never mind, I ran the web address on the box for the take out menu and I'm guessing around $25 (?)
    Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: Lombardi's Pizza-delivery (WITH PICS) 2007/12/10 23:27:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by HPlatz

I would be curious as to how much that baby ran you $ ? Just curious as to what big city/big time pie delivered costs the dazzling urbanite these days, including tip.

Any Blazing Saddles quote deserves an answer. My pie delivered from any of a dozen sources in my hood always costs around $20. Most places will deliver just a few slices if they're not too busy. My wife does that often when I'm not home. That will runs you around $5-7 (always with at least a $3 tip).
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: Lombardi's Pizza-delivery (WITH PICS) 2007/12/10 23:41:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Davydd

quote:
    Originally posted by BTB

Cold.

And the tip would kill you.
    eatingteam
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: Lombardi's Pizza-delivery (WITH PICS) 2007/12/11 13:48:43 (permalink)
    This is one of the greatest pizzas ever. Next time there try the clam pie - sooooo goooood!

Tony
    billyboy
    RE: Lombardi's Pizza-delivery (WITH PICS) 2007/12/11 14:01:57 (permalink)
    I've had the clam pie there before and I have to say that I was really, really disappointed. It was weighed down with so many rubbery clams that it drooped when I picked it up and half of the clam topping fell off. I hope that was just an aberration. I think with that kind of pie, less really is more. The pics of Frank Pepe's look to me what is the ideal of a clam pie.
    dannybotz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 357
    RE: Lombardi's Pizza-delivery (WITH PICS) 2007/12/11 14:22:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by billyboy

I've had the clam pie there before and I have to say that I was really, really disappointed. It was weighed down with so many rubbery clams that it drooped when I picked it up and half of the clam topping fell off. I hope that was just an aberration. I think with that kind of pie, less really is more. The pics of Frank Pepe's look to me what is the ideal of a clam pie.

Agreed!!! ive eaten at Lombardis dozens of times and only ONCE did i try their Clam -Pie. For the 4 people that were there that night ALL were disappointed. Everything else on their menu has been Fantastico!!! Best ricotta anywhere!!!
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1586
    RE: Lombardi's Pizza-delivery (WITH PICS) 2007/12/14 21:39:26 (permalink)
    Billyboy, you owe it to yourself to actually eat in Lombardi's. As good as the delivery pizza is, you have to try it right out of the oven. It's hard for me to pick a favorite NY Pizza, there's so many to choose from. I've been to most of the good ones and I love 'em all, but Lombardi's has got to be in my top 5.

About the cost. Yes, it's expensive, even by NY standards, but I don't go there to save money, I go there for great pizza.. ---Ken
    billyboy
    RE: Lombardi's Pizza-delivery (WITH PICS) 2007/12/15 08:50:25 (permalink)
    Yeah, I know what you mean. My GF and I get delivery from a number of places every so often, but I've always felt that with delivery, there is some sort of alchemy going on that changes the texture and taste of many foods and robs them somewhat of the greatness that they would have had if I had eaten them on site.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1