Long Beach, CA... Suggestions anyone?

Author
Rachael
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
2003/05/08 16:55:24 (permalink)

Long Beach, CA... Suggestions anyone?

I am going to be in Long Beach this weekend, with some friends from out of state and having just discovered this site, I have come to you for suggestions! Mexican, Diners, Eclectic... I am open to any suggestions. Little off the beaten path dives are my favorite.

7 Replies Related Threads

EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2883
    RE: Long Beach, CA... Suggestions anyone? 2003/05/09 06:26:45 (permalink)
    Alright! Now we're in my neck of the woods! OK,

* Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles 730 East Broadway...Get the Scoe's special...light as air waffles and chicken with skin that shatters like glass...they really were made for eachother! Good place to spot Lakers.
    * Nino's 3853 Atlantic Avenue...cozy little Italian place...friendly service and the best Chicken Marsala ever.
    * Johnny Reb's 4663 North Long Beach Blvd...Is that actually a confederate soldier on that sign? Drop peanut shells on the ground, drink lemonade out of big jars and pretend you're in the south. "Folksy"
    * Jo Josts 2803 E. Anaheim St. 562-439-5446...An institution. Polish sausage sandwich and icy cold beer
    * Polly's Bakery 3490 Atlantic and 4680 East Los Coyotes Diagonal...I dream about the Banberry pie...half banana cream, half strawberry, plus unusual ones like marionberry pies. Good place to bring your mom for chicken salad sandwiches.
    * Clifton's Cafeteria 77 Lakewood Center Mall....although this is in a mall, it is the real thing, an LA institution, the downtown one closed years ago. Famous for grapefruit cake. I hear differing reports as to whether it's still open (maybe mixed up with LA location...ask around).

On Fridays there is a great Farmer's market with outstanding fair food and music downtown. If you see a guy in a bow tie holding pink boxes, those are bean pies...buy one fast...don't miss out! Check out Acres of Books on Long Bch Blvd downtown...dusty, but a real experience for any bibliophile. The aquarium's seal exhibit is alot of fun too!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15303
    RE: Long Beach, CA... Suggestions anyone? 2003/05/09 06:45:07 (permalink)
    Elise,
    There's a Polly's near the Leisure World in Laguna Hills where my mom resided for several years. We went there for lunch many times...coupon time for Pie every time !!! The quarter chicken with fries was just right to leave room for the Marionberry..or about this time of year, the Fresh Strawberry pie. I think my favorite is/was the Peach Melba (in season) Fresh Peaches with raspberries all over the top!!!
    The only down side was that sea of Seniors who did everything in low gear...Cash register time was longer than the wait for a table !!
    catosaurus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: Long Beach, CA... Suggestions anyone? 2003/05/09 13:03:52 (permalink)
    A visit to Long Beach wouldn't be complete without stopping by Johnny Reb's (4663 Long Beach Blvd.). It's modeled after a southern roadhouse ... peanut shells cover the floor ... Elvis and zydeco music ... Alabama, Texas, Georgia, etc. license plates on the walls ... and some EXCELLENT biscuits, greens, and coleslaw. Their BBQ is OK, not great, but the folks are friendly as all get-out. If you tell them it's your birthday, they'll make you "kiss the pig" (a large, ugly, plaster piggy). Open all day.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2883
    RE: Long Beach, CA... Suggestions anyone? 2003/05/09 16:40:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Elise,
    I think my favorite is/was the Peach Melba (in season) Fresh Peaches with raspberries all over the top!!!
    The only down side was that sea of Seniors who did everything in low gear...Cash register time was longer than the wait for a table !!

Wow, peaches AND raspberries? I was always too faithful to Banberry to explore the other exciting pie offerings. As for the wait, I used to work nextdoor, and we didn't really care if we ever got back to the office!
    BigGlenn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 461
    RE: Long Beach, CA... Suggestions anyone? 2003/05/09 17:17:18 (permalink)
    You want BBQ? You just have to try ChrisNPitts BBQ. Next door to the DonAVee Jeep Dealer on the corner of Artesia and Bellflower. One Block south of the 91 Freeway. There are a couple more around but, this is the one that I go to and like the best. I grew up in the South and this is just about the best I have found out here in the LA Area. The price is very reasonable, has the best and cheapest kids menu around. Some say the BBQ Sauce is a little sweet but I promise that you will not be disappointed. I was just there last night in fact. By the way they have the biggest Chicken Fried Steak and out standing Country Gravy. Their Steak and Prime Rib is good as well. There is Seafood on the Menu but all I ever do is CFS and Pork Ribs. LOL Enjoy
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15303
    RE: Long Beach, CA... Suggestions anyone? 2003/05/09 18:08:05 (permalink)
    Thanks Glen, Welcome to the Board...I like to hear good reports from places I have enjoyed. We have visited that Chris-n-Pitts several times when we lived out that way. Good stuff, and the sauce is just fine for me.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4074
    RE: Long Beach, CA... Suggestions anyone? 2003/05/09 18:52:53 (permalink)
    Johnny Reb's get's my vote too-----lots of fun, lots of food and very well cooked southern specialties. also of note are Casa Sanchez on Anaheim Street------best REAL Mexican food in a small shack that I've found in the south Bay (try the pozole!), Frency's Bistro (also on Anaheim Street. French food that is extraordinary. Also on Anaheim but further down are My Le and Lily Bakery----both good mainly takeout Vietnamese places------try the sandwiches and the breakfast pastries----yummy!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1