Hot!Long Gone Regional Chains

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 11 of 34
Author
zataar
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1440
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2004/11/04 16:58:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ConeyIslandLou

..methinks this thread has finally burned itself out..unless anyone remebers a small chain called Kings Food Host??? Midwest only I believe,as the one I remember was in my grandparents town, Salina Kansas.

I remember King's Family Food Host. They had a great thing called a cheese frenchie. It was a batter dipped cheese sandwich dipped in something like corn flakes and deep fried. Didn't you have to call your order in by a little phone?
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4617
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2004/11/04 17:57:29 (permalink)
Well, just to bring things full circle, I was thinking about Ort. and his employment at the Peaches Records in Richmond Va, since I had a mirrored experience as a charter employee of the Overland Park, Ks. Peaches, housed in a former King's Food Host. Major grease trap work before we could open. as it was clogged bigtime. But the Tuna Frenchees were worth the trouble. They made tuna fish worthwhile. My wife had the same enjoyable relationship with that midwestern treat in Omaha, plus it was so cool to order on phones, red princess ones as I remember from high school times.
DinoS
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2004/11/04 22:14:11 (permalink)
Well, since many seem to tired of sifting thru 19 pages of this topic, I hesitate to post, but, one last post...

I know some of the members are from western Michigan. I remember a chain called something like 'Mr. Fables'? I used to stop in there (a location near the Grand Rapids airport) when I had to travel. They made the hamburgers similar to the infamous 'Crazy Jim's Blimpy Burger' in Ann Arbor.

For you west Michiganders. Are they still around?

Dino

The Scarlet Pumpernickel
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 32
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2004/11/09 18:35:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ocdreamr

Ginos & the Gino's Giant It had it all way before Big Mac

You ain't kidding. Big rectangular burgers, like a Big Mac, only good. I was thirteen before I had anything from McDonald's, an EggMcMuffin. My parents used to take us to Gino's, Roy Rogers, Red Barn ("When the hungries hit, when the hungries hit, hit the Red Barn!") or Saxons. This last establishment wasn't a chain, at least
I never saw any another one. The burger and roast beef were good,
but they had the best milkshakes I've ever slurped. They had the usual three flavors, of course, but they also had Mountain Rasperry. I had forgotten how good they were until I had a pint of Edy's Dreamery Black Raspberry Avalanche, then it came back to me like Proust's madeleines.

TSP
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5043
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2004/11/10 15:15:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy2dogs

Wow this thread seems to be alive and well after a year. I scanned all eighteen pages and think these Chicago area chains weren't mentioned
Prince Castle Hamburgers - one was on North Avenue in River Forest
Franksville hot dogs - Remember one in Villa Park on St. Charles Rd (down the street and across from Lums) and another on Rush st in Chicago

There used to be a Prince Castle (remember the square ice cream?) on East State Street in Rockford IL (not too far from Don Carter Lanes and east of Fairview Plaza) and if you went a little further west to the corner of Fairview Ave there was a Geri's Hamburgers. The Prince Castle disappeared sometime in the '70s and the last operational (as an independent; the chain was dead) Geri's (in Beloit WI) was closed and torn down in the late '90s. Geri's was definitely regional to northern IL and southern WI.

But just when you think all is lost...here's a 2-year-old article claiming that Geri's was going to reopen in Beloit:
http://www.statelinebusiness.com/502/geri5.htm

And there's a phone and address listing on anywho.com. I think I'll take myself a little road trip this weekend to become reacquainted with this sign from my childhood:

http://www.thom.org/gallery/signs/WIJVgeris/

When I was growing up "hamburgers" meant "Geri's"...

And just to touch briefly on another restaurant, there's an A&W in Edgerton WI. Inside dining *and* car service!

Brad O.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5065
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2004/11/11 20:54:13 (permalink)
I first remember my 1st "Big Mac" from McDonalds circa 1966 in San Juan, PR. I distintly remember my 1st "Whopper" from Burger King about the same time; perhaps a bit earlier in the year; from the same general locale. Man, they were GOOD. STUD!!! ;) That's when I 1st experienced the "LUM's" thing also; hence the start of this thread. OK roadfooders; give it UP... Let's hear from all of your 1st true experience(s) with, well, let us say, GOOD fast food. BTW, I was 10 years of age when I had my 1st BK encounter.
drummerboy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2004/11/14 22:59:57 (permalink)
I know it's an old thread, but I just joined up, so ...
back in the day here I recall: Burger Chef, Arthur Treacher's Fish 'n' Chips, KooKoo's (hamburger joint, there was still one left in Miami, Okla. 6-7 years ago), Drummer Boy (seems to be forgotten historically and probably rightly so, but I ate my first chain burger there, had insisted on hot dogs up till age 10); Dog 'n' Suds drive-in (still a few in Indiana?). We still have the great Taco Hut Mexican chain, which used to be all over Okla and some locations in Mo. and Kansas... we had a Griff's way back when too. Still one operating in Sedalia, Mo. (also has the great Wheel Drive-In with the Guberburger - peanut butter as a condiment - yikes!) And we had Friar Fic's, which if it was a chain was very ill-thought-out - Fic stood for Fish and Ice Cream - they go so well together!
zesto1
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2004/11/15 20:37:06 (permalink)
I own a Zesto in Columbia SC, I would like to find out some info on the original chain if anyone knowa
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2004/11/16 05:32:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by danfling

Who remembers that in the late 1960s, Walgreen's opened a chain of hamburger/fast food additions to some of their stores? It was called Big-E.

They used the special-sauce-type of condiment on the Big-E burgers. I think that hot dogs were also served. It seemed to be an attempt to compete with the McDonald's, Burger Chef, Burger King, Hardees, etc.

Are there any of these still around.

Walgreen's sold out to Eckerd's in the early 1970s, and Eckerd's kept the Big-E opened. (Now that I am thinking about it, Big-E may be the name that Eckerd used and there was another name that Walgreen's used.)

Are there any of these still in business?

Our local Walgreens had an attached restaurant called THE GRILL. (They obviously agonized for minutes over the name.) It was one of my grandfather's favorite coffee stops. I have vague memories of drinking a coke with him while all of the regulars made a king sized fuss over me. (I was the first grandchild and I'm sure they'd heard ALL about me.)
This would have been in the mid 60's.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5043
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2004/11/17 11:26:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Farmallcub

quote:
Originally posted by Brad_Olson

But just when you think all is lost...here's a 2-year-old article claiming that Geri's was going to reopen in Beloit:
http://www.statelinebusiness.com/502/geri5.htm

And there's a phone and address listing on anywho.com. I think I'll take myself a little road trip this weekend to become reacquainted with this sign from my childhood:
Brad O.
I grow up outside of Rockford and went to both the East State and Broadway Prince Castle. As a kid I was amazed by the square icecream. Geri's was a great chain with it's Big G, and Jumbo G. Also there was a drivein I remember called Skeet's on Auburn.

Sadly, it looks like Geri's truly is no more. On Sunday afternoon I drove through Beloit WI and when I got to the intersection where Geri's is the first thing I saw was a realtor's sign, followed by the boarded-up windows. The paint on the main building and the drive-in area looked pretty fresh, though, so it might've been open a couple of years ago like the newspaper articles said.

Outside Rockford, you say? I'm from Cherry Valley originally...you can get a good breakfast at the restaurant on the northwest corner of State and Cherry!

Brad

Brad
WeRoadTravel
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2004/11/17 16:43:20 (permalink)
Well...

Here's my 2 cents.

An A&W was just opened up 5 blocks from my house. It's a combination A&W and Long John Silvers. The food is decent, although fast food style, it's still better than Burger King/McDonalds.

There is still a Lums open in Davie, Fl, I eat there whenever I'm in the erea. Yes they still have ALL the classics, beer dogs, Ollieburger, BIG mugs of beer, exact in every way.
rwschemquest
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 65
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2004/11/17 17:35:27 (permalink)
Does the Lums have there roast beef sandwiches? I so loved those. Might be worth a trip down to FL from Ohio.

quote:
Originally posted by WeRoadTravel

Well...

Here's my 2 cents.

An A&W was just opened up 5 blocks from my house. It's a combination A&W and Long John Silvers. The food is decent, although fast food style, it's still better than Burger King/McDonalds.

There is still a Lums open in Davie, Fl, I eat there whenever I'm in the erea. Yes they still have ALL the classics, beer dogs, Ollieburger, BIG mugs of beer, exact in every way.
WeRoadTravel
Junior Burger
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2004/11/18 07:09:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by rwschemquest

Does the Lums have there roast beef sandwiches? I so loved those. Might be worth a trip down to FL from Ohio.

quote:

Well...

Here's my 2 cents.

Yup, ALL the original favorites. This place is a time machine, original down to the wood decor, exact in every way.

I've personally have road traveled to every state, except Alaska. I have yet to run into another Lums anywhere.

I'll have to take some pics next time I'm there.

Robbie
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5065
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2004/11/19 20:33:46 (permalink)
quote:

Well...

Here's my 2 cents.

OK. When can we expect a review about the Lum's down in Davie, FL

Would love 2 see it.

Anxiously awaiting same...
WeRoadTravel
Junior Burger
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2004/11/19 21:57:00 (permalink)
Next time I'm in the area I'll take some pictures and I'll try my best to write a review. I've never written one, so I'll try my best.
Nacho
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 33
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2004/11/24 09:19:07 (permalink)
On a recent trip to Marquette, Michigan, I saw one of the old "Burger Chef and Jeff" birdhouses. Does anyone remember those?

The last time I saw one was probably when I was 5 years old!

Nacho
www.RestaurantEdge.com
SteveB9
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 46
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2004/11/24 21:29:58 (permalink)
Wow, Lums! I need to get down to FL and visit. I used to love Ollieburgers. Anybody remember the Ollie's Trollies? Same hamburger, but it was a little walk-up trolley instead of a regular restaurant.
Also, did anyone in the South have a Krystal that offered doughnuts? I remember the one in downtown Atlanta had a doughnut machine in the window. They were small cake doughnuts, and were fantastic.
Rowdy113
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2004/11/25 18:07:31 (permalink)
How about Winky's in south western PA?
Saint Matt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 183
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2004/12/22 20:48:03 (permalink)
Does anyone remember a chain called Bumbleberry? It was in California in the 70's.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2004/12/22 21:23:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Saint Matt

Does anyone remember a chain called Bumbleberry? It was in California in the 70's.

Must have been north of the Tehachipis, as I don't recall seeing any down here.
redtressed
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2004/12/22 22:41:27 (permalink)
OMG.....I remember Winky's....we had one in Morgantown WV too.....I haven't thought about it in AGES. It went in on the main street in Morgantown, replacing a BBF, which had replaced a Burger Chef before that. Now it's a bank.
Saint Matt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 183
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2004/12/23 00:20:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by enginecapt

quote:
Originally posted by Saint Matt

Must have been north of the Tehachipis, as I don't recall seeing any down here.

I know they were in the Bay Area and the central coast. The only thing I remember about the food is that they specialized in pies. The really distinctive thing about them is that they had their own line of toys that they sold in the restaurants. We had a special event at my elementary school where someone from Bumbleberry put on a show and demonstrated the toys. Of course, the idea was for us kids to go home and bug our parents to take us to the restaurant and buy the toys!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15244
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2004/12/23 20:09:58 (permalink)

Playing catch up here with a few add-ons
1. A former Burger Queen in Sellersburg Indiana is now a DQ. It's at exit 9 of I-65 in Southern Indiana
2. Dutch pantry had a shop at the Rt 46 interchange with I-65 in Columbus, Indiana. It is gone... Just a few miles west on #46 is the Gnaw Bone Food and Fuel home of a great Pork Tenderloin sandwich.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15244
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2004/12/26 14:06:16 (permalink)
RE- Farrells- We had a birthday party (as described above) at the Farrells near Miramar A S north of San Diego in 2000. It was going strong then.!

Also, Just outside the Main entrance to ZION Nat'l Park in Spingdale Utah... Is the Bumbleberry Cafe, with the Pie of the same name bragged on with a large sign to draw your attention from the Giant Red Rock formations that surround the town.

Here's a link to all the restaurants in that scenic part of Southern Utah. Notice the Bumbleberry cafe !! http://www.utahsdixie.com/dining.html#sp
sugarlander
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 254
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2005/01/03 17:50:42 (permalink)
A chain called Burger Tyme in South Louisiana was wonderful, especially the spicy burger called the Cajun Blaze. Are there any left?

What about CoCo's/JoJo's. Their breakfasts were great?

Was Steak n Bake a chain, one was in Illinois, with great, cheap steaks in a dark pub-like restaurant.

Any info?
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4565
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2005/01/03 18:01:07 (permalink)
re: Burger Tyme

A quick google returned this hit:
http://www.tidefans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=70574&postcount=51
if one is to believe the post, then Burger Tyme was open in Layfeyette LA up to at least summer of 2003, and the Cajun Blaze is specifically mentioned

Another link:
http://www.findthefun.com/rests/rLA/r0165271.htm
provides a phone number and address. drive by or give them a call, eh?
ces1948
  • Total Posts : 1510
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2005/01/03 18:30:22 (permalink)
I do remember CoCo's but not from specifically where. Were they kind of a Denny's setup?
Charlie

quote:
Originally posted by sugarlander

A chain called Burger Tyme in South Louisiana was wonderful, especially the spicy burger called the Cajun Blaze. Are there any left?

Was Steak n Bake a chain, one was in Illinois, with great, cheap steaks in a dark pub-like restaurant.

Any info?
rwschemquest
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 65
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2005/01/04 00:14:40 (permalink)
At one time CoCo's was owned by W.R. Grace (I worked for Grace in their chemical businesses in the 1970's and we got a discount with our corporate ID card.) Pretty sure they still exist out on the west coast under different ownership. Was indeed a bit like an upscale Denny's. Maybe best described as a hybrid Denny's/TGIFridays?

Steak 'N Bake was a chain of pretty horrid cheap steakhouses. Stopped at one once on a business trip in NJ I think and it was just awful. I hope they are gone.
quote:
Originally posted by sugarlander

Any info?
cheesehead
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 48
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2005/01/10 07:03:15 (permalink)
I came into this forum, looking for information on Pioneer Chicken. I started to read this thread, and got hooked. Pioneer was still the best chicken of all. I spent 20 years in California before relocating to Wis.

KFC, Taco Bell, Long John Silver and A&W are all under the same corporate ownership. I know a KFC owner and the franchisers are trying to get the franchisees to add a compatible franchise. Statistics show that (according to him) A&W and Taco Bell are primarily lunch leaders, while KFC and Long John Silver are primarily dinner leaders. Thus, the mergers, to increase $ volume & traffic at each store.

The local Ground Round Resteraunt has re-opened in Janesville, Wi. The manager purchased (according the insiders) the resteraunt and name for local operations.

We have a drive-in - dine-in A&W with car hops in the summer. It's been here for years.

Shoney's was run out of town. Waayy to greasy. It was open less than a year.

ladytenor
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 37
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2005/01/18 21:05:53 (permalink)
My first job was at the Harrison St. Burger Chef in Shelbyville, IN in 1977. The add your own burger toppings concept was called "The Works Bar". Burger Chef was bought out by Hardees. An interesting site that gives the history of Burger Chef is http://www.lostindiana.net/html/burger_chef.html

Burger Queen (their mascot was Queenie Bee) was bought out by the Druthers ("If I had my druthers, I'd rather go to Druthers Restaurant") chain and several years later Druthers was bought out by Dairy Queen. Druthers had a mascot who was a little boy who was similar to the Tennessee Pride sausage boy.

A funny fast food store. Sometime in the late 60's /early 70's I was eating with my parents at the Burger Queen in Seymour Indiana and a long white limo pulled up outside. The restaurant door opened and in walked...Col. Sanders! Yep, in full regalia and he had two other men with him. They ordered their meals, I walked up and got an autograph from the Colonel. After they got their food, they went back out to their limo and drove away. It was really a bizarre experience meeting the Colonel in a burger joint.
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 11 of 34
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1