Hot!Long Gone Regional Chains

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 34
Author
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18489
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/05/30 14:31:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

How many of you folks remember the LUMS chain? (Hint: Hot Dogs steamed in beer)

The first time I ever ate at Lums was in Miami in 1958. Oh, those hot dogs steamed in beer.

I also remember a Lums in Clearwater where my wife and I had a couple of huge laughs. A waitress brought root beer to the table instead of iced tea and when I put sugar in the glass it foamed up and went all over the table and the floor. The waitresses there were elderly women, and one, who seemed quite frail, delivered a tray of food to an outdoor table, then was unable to get the door open so that she could get back in the dining room. Someone had to open it for her.

In the early 1970s they opened several Lums in the Columbus, Ohio area, but they didn't last very long.
renfrew
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 696
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/05/30 15:18:21 (permalink)
You can still find Bob's Big Boy on the Parkway rest stop in NJ. And a KFC was recently torn down and rebuilt with half a KFC and the other half an A&W Root Beer place. So I guess they own them now....
mobley
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/05/30 16:48:44 (permalink)
Wetson's in NJ. They used that orange colored cheese on their cheeseburgers, not the pale yellow stuff of today. Mc Donald's also used the darker colored American cheese back in the day. Burger Chef (not exactly regional, but sorely missed)..Also, Little Taven in DC and Baltimore. There was a scene in the 1983 movie "Diner" when they were having coffee in a Little Tavern..How about Village Inn Pizza? White Towers were in downtown areas in the Northeast and Upper South. Can't forget about Schrafft's In NYC, plus Horn and Hardat. We had Cedrick's Fish and Chips here in NC back in the 70's. I also remember a little burger chain called Bell's in SC.
sauceman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 184
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/05/30 17:39:50 (permalink)
First of all, yes, the A & W in Kingsport, Tennessee, is still in operation. Second, here's a link to an archived piece I did for the Kingsport paper on the one remaining restaurant that was once part of a regional chain called the Blue Circle:

http://www.wets.org/index.cgi?&CONTEXT=cat&cat=324

Fred Sauceman
Johnson City, Tennessee
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 753
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/05/30 23:15:32 (permalink)
Cosmo: did that experience happen to occur at the Greyhound bus station? Greyhound used to be a big BK franchisee also,but sold some of their locations to the Carrol's Development Corp,and I am SURE Carrol's had TONS of material that had 'Carrols' on it that they needed to get rid of!
jeffskal
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/05/31 05:39:16 (permalink)
From my Philadelphia childhood: Hot Shoppes (Drive-In) and Hot Shoppes Jr. Burger Chef, And a small chain - I remember the Chuckwagon (delis) downtown. Also, the White Tower coffee shops (kind of a White Castle knockoff?) Can anyone remember the Nedick's-like restaurants selling hot dogs, orange juice, etc. ah- Deweys! - all counters, I think - I remember one at 17th and Market... also King of Pizza. And what about the cheap steak place - Tad's - maybe $3.95 for a steak and salad, they had a grill in the window.

There were more Gino's restaurants (by football player Gino Marchetti) in Philly than McDonald's - and they were the Kentucky Fried Chicken dealer in Philly, I remember being surprised to see a real KFC outlet on Girard Ave in the '70s.
jeffskal
Hamburger
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/05/31 05:51:00 (permalink)
Sambo's started in Santa Barbara, CA - the original still operates, down by the wharf. http://www.americanplanet.com/Archive/AAD/Sambo.html">Sambo's story and a prank played on them.. They were a real contender for a while, gave Denny's a run for their money.
quote:
Originally posted by EliseT

quote:
Originally posted by pdxyyz

How about Sambo's?

Last one I know of burnt down just last year in Lincoln City, Oregon.

I thought they changed their name to Denny's in the 70s because it was so politically incorrect. There was still a Sambo's operating in Oregon?
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13509
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/05/31 10:52:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by sauceman

First of all, yes, the A & W in Kingsport, Tennessee, is still in operation. Second, here's a link to an archived piece I did for the Kingsport paper on the one remaining restaurant that was once part of a regional chain called the Blue Circle:

http://www.wets.org/index.cgi?&CONTEXT=cat&cat=324

Fred Sauceman
Johnson City, Tennessee

Mr. Sauceman: I ate at the Blue Circle on Henley in Knoxville many times. In fact, I was eating at the Blue Circle on Henley when JFK was shot. On the way back from lunch, a storeowner came outside to tell me the news. I guess everyone remembers where they were at swhen that occurred.

Do you know their current menu?

I use to get their hamburger steak along with fries. Pretty good then, but that was 40 years ago.

Next time I am around the Bluff City area, I will stop.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/05/31 11:00:00 (permalink)
Tad's were in NYC as well...Ginos were all over the Mid-Atlantic- there was one in the Garden State Plaza in Paramus even. I believe that Ginos ranks right up there with the Harmans in Salt Lake when it came to being an early,pre-John Brown buyer of the Colonel's idea .KFC had to REALLY scramble when Ginos sold out to Marriott, and Marriott made them all into Roy Rogers.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/05/31 17:43:45 (permalink)
BigGlenn; Elise T; All Y'all,
Maybe Shakey's is hanging on, but their future is really Shakey! - Especially if they have stores along or near the San Andreas fault!
Money laundering operation? Possibly; the Feds just closed down a pizza chain in Illinois for that very thing!
H. Salt, Esq.? Yeah, I remember that. I also remember Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips. My friends and I used to go in the one on Buford Highway in N/E Atlanta and ask the teenaged help if Arthur was there: "He comes around and checks," we'd warn them, "You'd better be prepared. He's veddy British and veddy formal."
There used to be a Jax Hot Shoppe on Main Street in downtown Anderson, South Carolina. We stopped there when I was a small child. It's been gone since some time like 1961. There are some great mom-and-pop eateries there now; I will report back when my research (AHEM!) is complete (as if it ever is!).
Atlanta used to have - and there were others - a chain called Toddle House. They were little doll-house-like places; short orders only; open all night. One on Ponce de Leon Avenue in Atlanta survives intact architecturally: for years, it was Mother's Tire Co.; now it's a dog training school.
Athens just lost its oldest restaurant, by the way. Parsons' Restaurant on Macon Highway closed after 53 years, and will reopen as Old 441 Diner. Chester Parsons received Clarke County mixed drink license # 1 in 1967; the establishment was still operating on it until last night. The place opened right after Macon Highway was completed in 1950.
Not Writing Chain Letters, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.
carri51106
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/05/31 20:23:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rayme

Are there any Orange Julius stands out there anymore? Frothy orange drinks and orange chili dogs were the thing when I was a wee one.

Orange devil fan

There is still an Orange Julius in the Southern Hills Mall, Sioux City, IA. It's wonderful!!!!
Leemart
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/06/01 02:14:53 (permalink)
Please don't forget the first franchise restaurant of all, Howard Johnson's. At one time there were well over 1000 Ho Jo's in the country but many factors led to their near demise. I haven't seen one in over 20 years, but have located four of them along the I-95 corridor that I intend to visit on an upcoming trip from Florida to Nova Scotia. Most folks don't remember the heyday of this chain, and the fantastic ice cream (average 18% butterfat content) as well as the best fried clams and frankfurters in the country.

Another favorite was Royal Castle, which had it all over the other "mini-burger" businesses such as White Castle, Krystal, etc. And who could forget Royal Castle's signature Birch Beer, served in a frosted mug? I've heard that there is still an operating Royal Castle in Miami, but have not yet had the opportunity to check it out.
jeffskal
Hamburger
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/06/01 07:06:49 (permalink)
The Toluca Lake Bob's is back on it's game... we had breakfast there a few months ago, and it was very good - crowded, too.

Here's a URL to the current web site...
http://bobs.net/history/hist.html

I also found this 1969 menu on this food listing from the LA Public Library: http://www.gti.net/mocolib1/kid/food1.html
quote:
Originally posted by goldsborscht

I grew up in LA. There used to be Bob's Big Boy everywhere. I really do miss a lot of items. Shrimp salad. Chili spaghetti size. Navy bean soup. I remember looking forward to coloring the placemat. A possible mistake they made was hopping on the buffet trend. They couldn't quite figure out if the buffet was a one shot deal or all-you-can-eat. It had to do something with how many bowls of soup you can have. That just threw the whole Bob's goodwill vibe off kilter. Then there was the fall of Sambo's which overnight became Four Seasons and later something else though I can't quite remember. That too threw in a "healthy" aspect, perhaps a grilled chicken, even though they specialized in pies. That grilled chicken really destroyed the joy of chain diners. The only real health food on the menu should be the burger patty with cottage cheese. People in the '90s would laugh at the burger patty plate as diet food, but now that's Atkins an promotes weight loss, so they knew something we didn't. Anyways, RIP Bob's.
stanpnepa
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 577
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/06/01 09:54:53 (permalink)
The Big Boy family came under different names---Shoney's, Elby's, Franklin's (the last two here in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, PA). The Big Boy mascot was actually stolen a few years ago. The hunt was on to find him, and they did! But then the restaurant closed a year or so later anyway. Now, it's a 50's style McDonald's
Argent
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 125
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/06/01 10:18:35 (permalink)
There is still A Lums That Is operating in WoodBridge Va .
To the best of my memory They still serve "Lum Dogs" and "Olie Burgers"
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15286
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/06/01 13:14:41 (permalink)
Folks,
Re- The "BIG BOY". Different area's of the country had a chain that purchased the BIG BOY Name and Logo. Out West it is/was "BOB'S BIG BOY". In the Intermountain area it is "JB'S BIG BOY" and here in the Midwest it is "FRISCH'S BIG BOY" I am sure it has other parent companies in the East and Deep South also.
RE- HOWARD JOHNSON's, I worked my way thru my first college experience by cooking at the HOJO's located on Rt95 Northbound in Rowley, Mass. (1960's) It is gone now with the new RT95 paving over the former food/gas stop there. Items of interest from that era... The clam strips- Some folks like them, Some bitched about the lack of 'whole' clams every time they came in. When They introduced the company-brand of cola...HOJO Cola to replace Coke in all the foodstands the reaction was very negative. It was said (at the time) that the drink was named HOJO COLA because they couldn't spell "YUCK". The sandwich of choice was the "3 D" A forerunner of the Big Mac. The prices were high out on the freeway..captive market .. but I recall having 40 cent burgers, $1.35 for the Hot Turkey or Hot Beef sandwich with either Mashed or FF on the side. and the big meal 8 oz steak for $2.65. Employees were not allowed to eat the steak as their meal of choice while on duty. The best deal on the menu was the Wed. Fish Fry...Flounder and FF and Slaw for a buck...drink extra. Hardest thing for the short-order cook were the onion rings that had to be double breaded before cooking..thus taking a worker out of action for the grill or other things until he had scrubbed the double breading "batter" off his hands before touching anything else. The 99 cent Beans and Franks were a favorite of many folks who stopped in...2 Franks (grilled), a small beanpot of pea-beans, and a slice of canned Brown bread. Indian Pudding was also available with a small scoop of Vanila ice cream.
Hope this brings back some memories for you as it has for me.
We have just returned from a week on the road...will post a report on the Misc. Threads later today.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18489
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/06/01 13:30:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jeffskal

From my Philadelphia childhood: Hot Shoppes (Drive-In) and Hot Shoppes Jr. Burger Chef, And a small chain - I remember the Chuckwagon (delis) downtown. Also, the White Tower coffee shops (kind of a White Castle knockoff?) Can anyone remember the Nedick's-like restaurants selling hot dogs, orange juice, etc. ah- Deweys! - all counters, I think - I remember one at 17th and Market... also King of Pizza. And what about the cheap steak place - Tad's - maybe $3.95 for a steak and salad, they had a grill in the window.

There were more Gino's restaurants (by football player Gino Marchetti) in Philly than McDonald's - and they were the Kentucky Fried Chicken dealer in Philly, I remember being surprised to see a real KFC outlet on Girard Ave in the '70s.

I certainly remember the White Tower in New Haven. It was at the corner of College and Crown streets, and it was a great place to go after a movie downtown. A couple of hamburgers, a plate of baked beans (a dime, as I recall), and some coffee. Nedicks? I used to hit the Nedick's stand in Grand Central Station for a hot dog and an orange drink every time I went into the city.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/06/02 10:51:50 (permalink)
Anyone remember a chain called Griff's? I don't know how far they extended (we had one in Springfield, MO, and I saw one in Irving, TX years ago), and I don't really remember much about the food. I found this, though:

keefer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/06/02 18:17:59 (permalink)
There is still a Shakey's Pizza in Springfield, IL--the state capitol.
It is primarily a buffet, however, you can still order pizza, chicken, and mojo potatoes to go. Allegedly, it is the biggest one still left.
hawkeyejohn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 257
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/06/02 18:28:41 (permalink)
Does anybody remember a chain called King's? You placed your order from your booth by telephone. Kind of different, but the food was nothing to write home (or here) about.
kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/06/03 11:43:57 (permalink)
I remeber a King's in northern Iowa when I was in college in the 60's. We used to really yuk it up when we placed in order, we just thought it was the funniest thing. I can't remember if it was in Cedar Falls or Waterloo.
Lone Star
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/06/03 12:17:23 (permalink)
jeffskal-

Thanks for the great link! Very interesting and entertaining!
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4041
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/06/03 15:28:33 (permalink)
There is still a Sambo's---the only one I think. Its in Santa Barbara right across from the Harbor. Brings back a lot of memories!
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/06/03 16:00:58 (permalink)
Isnt HoJo Cola one of the things that helped kill HoJo's?? Or at least,the attitude that helped create it...I dont think Big Boys have survived east of Illinois/Michigan..if they were EVER this far east....
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15286
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/06/03 16:27:15 (permalink)
Lou,
You're probably right about HoJo Cola.. It was terrible, and never boosted sales of anything for the corporation.
RE- BIG BOY's, We have several in the Louisville area and I have seen them in Ohio and West Virginia within the past year.
Tacohead
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/06/03 16:30:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

Anyone remember a chain called Griff's? I don't know how far they extended (we had one in Springfield, MO, and I saw one in Irving, TX years ago), and I don't really remember much about the food. I found this, though:

I think they're still around. There's one off of I-25 in Denver though I never stopped in and the yellow pages show 3 in Ft. Worth and one in Irving (probably the one you remember). I need to stop in - it looks like a classic joint!
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/06/03 16:45:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tacohead

I think they're still around. There's one off of I-25 in Denver though I never stopped in and the yellow pages show 3 in Ft. Worth and one in Irving (probably the one you remember). I need to stop in - it looks like a classic joint!

Tacohead, I wasn't sure if Griff's was still open or not. Let me know what it's like now if you go there. Thanks.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/06/03 19:13:37 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
Is there still such a chain as Burger Chef? I've got their "A nickel and a dime" jingle running through my head as I type.
The former Burger Chef on Alps Road here in Athens, Georgia ia now a liquor store.
Gee, why doesn't somebody go around to all the old Minnie Pearl's locations and photograph them today? Now THAT would be an interesting book in the popular culture/architecture field!
Ungreasily, Ort. Carlton.
jeffskal
Hamburger
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/06/03 20:04:32 (permalink)
Burger Chef -> General Foods -> Hardees -> oblivion:
See:
http://www.burgerchef.com/BCHistory.htm
[url]
I got the image from here - looks like they're covering some of
the same ground we are:
http://www.octanecreative.com/boomerbaby/food.html
BBQ Barney
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 161
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/06/03 21:03:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by hawkeyejohn

Does anybody remember a chain called King's? You placed your order from your booth by telephone. Kind of different, but the food was nothing to write home (or here) about.

I think this was King's Food Host, a regional chain out of Lincoln NE. I still think the Cheese Frenchies were unique and quite tasty. PS, I'd prefer Cyclone to Hawkeye!
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 34
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1