The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Long Gone Regional Chains

Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > >> | Showing page 30 of 34, messages 871 to 900 of 994
eastwood320

• Total Posts: 2
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Thu, 09/25/08 11:00 PM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wallhd

Not sure how many other there are left, but here in God's Country (oops, I mean Plattsburgh, NY, sorry!) there is a very nice Lum's which still has most of the original Lum's menu favotites. I think that there is also a Lum's across Lake Champlain in Burlington, VT

Wally
Lum's in Burlington closed many years ago--it is now the location of Hooters...

Big Kahuna Kooks

• Total Posts: 490
    RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Fri, 09/26/08 8:42 AM (permalink)
    Did anyone mention Poor Folks? I believe Burt Reynolds had a share in it? It was a theme family style with cutesy suthern sayings & spellings on the menu.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4729
      RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Fri, 09/26/08 9:33 AM (permalink)
      There's still a handful of[url='http://www.pofolks.com/locations.htm']PoFolks[/url] in the Southeast and 1 in California. Dunno about Burt Reynolds being involved, but many years ago "Whispering Bill" Anderson had a hit single of the same name.

Brad

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
        RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Fri, 09/26/08 8:21 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by ULVER

quote:
        Originally posted by ces1948

For some reason I just recalled Dipper Dans ice cream. I remember going to the one in Lakeland, FL in the early 70's. I believe it was the first "many flavors" place I had seen. It was very popular with our crowd as it was open late and being in our early 20's we sometimes got extreme urges for ice cream. I seem to remember a bunch of Dipper Dans in that area of Florida but don't know if they were nation wide.

I recall Dipper Dan's from the same time period. Early 70's at South Dekalb Mall, (metro Atlanta). Being the kid I was, I thought the "Pink Bubble Gum" was a great flavor. These days, I am lucky if I do a fat-free yogurt, or a sugar-free popcicle.

Wonder if they were nationwide, or just the South> Being in your 20's, might you recall when they disappeared?

I recall Dipper Dan's; not from Atlanta area though. LOL.

ULVER

• Total Posts: 226
          RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Mon, 09/29/08 9:30 PM (permalink)
          I was looking through an old Atlanta wrestling program, dated Nov. of 1967!

Inside was an ad, from a local, six location chicken restaurant called "Mr. Drumstick Fried Chicken."

I was a kid then, but old enough to remember most things like Burger Chef and Sir Pizza. But this place rings no bells at all.

Anyone

No Talent

• Total Posts: 262
            RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Mon, 09/29/08 10:02 PM (permalink)
            Ulver, No bells but I too have found cool ads in old publications, I love that stuff.

Our library has about 50 years of the local daily paper on micro film.

Once in a while I go in there and pick a drawer of a different year at random.

One film is two weeks worth and that satisfies my craving for stories and old ads.

ULVER

RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Mon, 09/29/08 11:31 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by No Talent

Ulver, No bells but I too have found cool ads in old publications, I love that stuff.

Our library has about 50 years of the local daily paper on micro film.

Once in a while I go in there and pick a drawer of a different year at random.

One film is two weeks worth and that satisfies my craving for stories and old ads.

Yeah, I'm the same way. Always been real nostalgic. I doubt any bells are gonna ring on this one for me though...

HollyDolly

• Total Posts: 1065
                RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Tue, 09/30/08 9:55 AM (permalink)
                We used to have PoFolks around San Antonio, but they are all gone,a long time ago.
                There used to be several Black Eyed Pea restaurants in town too,but only one is left.Think i've heard of Burger Queen, and I know we at at burger Chef as a kid.

Highway 41

• Total Posts: 12
                  RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Wed, 10/1/08 11:16 AM (permalink)
                  quote:

Inside was an ad, from a local, six location chicken restaurant called "Mr. Drumstick Fried Chicken."

I was a kid then, but old enough to remember most things like Burger Chef and Sir Pizza. But this place rings no bells at all.

Anyone

You're not going to beleive this, but a coworker's wife's parents own the Mr. Drumstick on Marietta Blvd just inside 285 near the waterworks. It's soul food, they're Korean. I'm pretty sure its the last one left.

We had a Sir Pizza on Key Biscayne in the early '70s. It's still there.

ULVER

RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Fri, 10/3/08 1:32 AM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Highway 41

quote:

Anyone

You're not going to beleive this, but a coworker's wife's parents own the Mr. Drumstick on Marietta Blvd just inside 285 near the waterworks. It's soul food, they're Korean. I'm pretty sure its the last one left.

We had a Sir Pizza on Key Biscayne in the early '70s. It's still there.

WOW~Pays to ask! That situation reminds me of "Olga's" on Peachtree Industrial Blvd. Country meat & threes by Koreans.

Do you know if the building is free-standing, and if the original 60's design remains> Also, if they have any idea where other locations stood, would be of great interest!

I might make the drive, and take my mom out to eat, if the food isn't all canned. If you can get me hours of operation, that would be appreciated too.

Thank you very, very much! This made my day!

Highway 41

RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Fri, 10/3/08 10:49 AM (permalink)
                      I'll ask him the next time I see him. My parents have lived in northwest Atlanta for 35 years, so I'm pretty familiar with it. It looks to me like the original building. You can go on google maps and bring up a "street view" of it. It's not exactly in the greatest neighborhood, it turns very industrial as soon as you cross the train tracks heading west on Moore's Mill or DeFoor's Ferry, and there's some nearby lower income housing. Those tracks would have been very busy back in those days, it was Seaboard's main east-west route, since abandoned. Marietta Boulevard was also a major route from downtown Atlanta out to Smyrna and Marietta. The neighborhoods to its west of Bolton, Bankhead and Hollywood were a lot nicer 50 years ago too. It should have had a very good lunch business in its heydey and probably a good bit of family dinner business.

firecommander3565

• Total Posts: 505
                        RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Fri, 10/3/08 10:53 AM (permalink)
                        Cock Robin Ice Cream... where did it go?

sonjaab

• Total Posts: 193
                          RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Mon, 10/6/08 2:15 AM (permalink)

Big Ugly Mich

• Total Posts: 1302
                            RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Mon, 10/6/08 3:56 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            I'll ask him the next time I see him. My parents have lived in northwest Atlanta for 35 years, so I'm pretty familiar with it. It looks to me like the original building. You can go on google maps and bring up a "street view" of it. It's not exactly in the greatest neighborhood, it turns very industrial as soon as you cross the train tracks heading west on Moore's Mill or DeFoor's Ferry, and there's some nearby lower income housing. Those tracks would have been very busy back in those days, it was Seaboard's main east-west route, since abandoned. Marietta Boulevard was also a major route from downtown Atlanta out to Smyrna and Marietta. The neighborhoods to its west of Bolton, Bankhead and Hollywood were a lot nicer 50 years ago too. It should have had a very good lunch business in its heydey and probably a good bit of family dinner business.
                            To the rest of the group, I apologize for having this personal conversation on site rather than by E-mail, but it's necessary.

I'm working on a book on Highway 41 and would like to set up some correspondence if that's okay.

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
                              RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Mon, 10/6/08 6:07 PM (permalink)
                              Highway 41 or anyone, I know this is a longshot but I thought I would give it a try. I've been trying to recall the name of a restaurant (maybe a local chain) That was on Highway 41 near the Cumberland Mall(Atlanta) just a block or two north of 1-285 on the right. They had all you eat fried chicken and fish on Friday and Saturday nights. Seems to me it was a larger place and there was always a line to get in. This would've been in the late seventies. Does that ring any bells?

ULVER

RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Mon, 10/6/08 6:11 PM (permalink)
                                quote:

Jeez... Talk about strange I came home from dinner with a friend, just in time to catch the 11pm news. A couple minutes into the broadcast, suddenly film is running of the "Mister Drumstick" restaurant , with the anchor reporting that it had been the victim of a fire.

Ya gotta be kiddin' me! I never hear of the place although I have been here for 40 years. I get curious about it, from an ad in a 1967 wrestling program. I ask about it here, and out of the blue I find someone, that actually knows who runs the last one standing.

Then it suffers a fire one day before I plan to eat lunch there, camera in tow From the news tape, it appeared the cool looking business sign was still standing.

If you hear anything about this, please let me know...
                                Again...just too strange!

Highway 41

RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Wed, 10/8/08 9:42 AM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by Big Ugly Mich
                                  To the rest of the group, I apologize for having this personal conversation on site rather than by E-mail, but it's necessary.

I'm working on a book on Highway 41 and would like to set up some correspondence if that's okay.

Go to my profile and click to send an email. I'll try to help as best I can.

quote:
                                  Highway 41 or anyone, I know this is a longshot but I thought I would give it a try. I've been trying to recall the name of a restaurant (maybe a local chain) That was on Highway 41 near the Cumberland Mall(Atlanta) just a block or two north of 1-285 on the right. They had all you eat fried chicken and fish on Friday and Saturday nights. Seems to me it was a larger place and there was always a line to get in. This would've been in the late seventies. Does that ring any bells?

There's a "Folks" at Windy Hill and Cobb Pkwy (Highway 41), that's been there for a fairly long time. Cumberland Mall itself had a Piccadilly Cafeteria and (speaking of long gone chains) a Magic Pan, but that was before a renovation in the mid '80s. There has been so much development and redevelopment along that corridor over the last 30 years that its hard to remember what used to be there, particularly along the east side of 41 before Akers Mill Square and Galleria.

Going north past 285, there's and Indian restaurant that's been there a long time, but may very well have been something else once, "Just Brakes" might have been a Waffle House before they built a nicer one across the street, the Dunkin Donuts has been there forever, and the Jade Palace Mongolian BBQ seems like it's been there a long time. That is a big restaurant though, and a lot of the inside seems oddly decoracted, with almost a southwestern feel to it. There is a huge bar area that's unused. It had to have been something else once. It wasn't Chi Chi's was it? I think that was on Roswell Rd near 285.

Past there is a KFC, a Red Lobster, and then the "Border" Mexican restaurant that is also large and may have been something else once. An Olive Garden sits in front of an older strip mall complex that has yet another Chinese Buffet in it, then apartments, a Target which used to be a Richway with its distinctive skylights. Past there is a now defunct Joe's Crab Shack, car dealerships, and then finally Folks.

Highway 41

RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Wed, 10/8/08 9:54 AM (permalink)
                                    My sister just reminded me that there was an Old Hickory House up on that strech of road. Old Hickory House was once a thriving Atlanta BBQ chain with at least a dozen locations. They're down to two now.

ces1948

RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Wed, 10/8/08 11:52 AM (permalink)

quote:

There's a "Folks" at Windy Hill and Cobb Pkwy (Highway 41), that's been there for a fairly long time. Cumberland Mall itself had a Piccadilly Cafeteria and (speaking of long gone chains) a Magic Pan, but that was before a renovation in the mid '80s. There has been so much development and redevelopment along that corridor over the last 30 years that its hard to remember what used to be there, particularly along the east side of 41 before Akers Mill Square and Galleria.

Going north past 285, there's and Indian restaurant that's been there a long time, but may very well have been something else once, "Just Brakes" might have been a Waffle House before they built a nicer one across the street, the Dunkin Donuts has been there forever, and the Jade Palace Mongolian BBQ seems like it's been there a long time. That is a big restaurant though, and a lot of the inside seems oddly decoracted, with almost a southwestern feel to it. There is a huge bar area that's unused. It had to have been something else once. It wasn't Chi Chi's was it? I think that was on Roswell Rd near 285.

Past there is a KFC, a Red Lobster, and then the "Border" Mexican restaurant that is also large and may have been something else once. An Olive Garden sits in front of an older strip mall complex that has yet another Chinese Buffet in it, then apartments, a Target which used to be a Richway with its distinctive skylights. Past there is a now defunct Joe's Crab Shack, car dealerships, and then finally Folks.

Thanks for helping out. It could have been "Folks" as it was definitely a country type place that featured fried chicken. I looked at their website and it said they opened their first restaurant in Dec 1978 but it was in Chamblee. It doesn't say when they opened the one at Windy Hill rd. I lived in some apartments near Windy Hill rd and ate and drank all over that part of town.

Highway 41

RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Wed, 10/8/08 1:42 PM (permalink)
                                        I used to live on Akers Mill in Treetop apartments (next to Riverbend) in the 82 to 84 timeframe. I think that "Po' Folks" was in that location by then. There was also an Uncle Bud's sort of nearby at Concord Road and South Cobb Drive, which would have been big, had lines, and fried chicken and catfish.

Also on the "long gone" list is the Baby Doe's Matchless Mine that they built on the side of the hill overlooking the riverbend area. It was a national chain, now deceased. Somebody on the internet has documented it at http://www.babydoe.org/restaurant.htm with pictures of the Denver location. The Atlanta location was only open for a few years. I remember it being very crowded with a singles vibe which would have been in keeping with the neighborhood at the time.

Highway 41

RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Wed, 10/8/08 2:35 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:

quote:

Jeez... Talk about strange I came home from dinner with a friend, just in time to catch the 11pm news. A couple minutes into the broadcast, suddenly film is running of the "Mister Drumstick" restaurant , with the anchor reporting that it had been the victim of a fire.

Ya gotta be kiddin' me! I never hear of the place although I have been here for 40 years. I get curious about it, from an ad in a 1967 wrestling program. I ask about it here, and out of the blue I find someone, that actually knows who runs the last one standing.

Then it suffers a fire one day before I plan to eat lunch there, camera in tow From the news tape, it appeared the cool looking business sign was still standing.

If you hear anything about this, please let me know...
                                          Again...just too strange!

I asked my coworker and it turns out that its not his wife's parents that own it, but some people they go to church with. He's going to try to find out more. He says they have owned it for a long time and its very profitable. I'll go that way the next time I go to my parents house and check it out.

oket

• Total Posts: 1
                                            RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Wed, 10/8/08 6:26 PM (permalink)
                                            Does anyone have any additional news on what happened to Mr. Drumstick? I know there was a fire. I drove by a couple days ago and saw that the restaurant is probably totaled. I have known about them for about 3 years and both the woman and man that worked there were wonderfully nice and the food was good. I'm really going to miss the place. I doubt they will re-build. They've been in that place for so long and they are both probably seeing retiring as a better option than rebuilding. I just want to know more about what happened.

Thanks.

ULVER

RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Wed, 10/8/08 7:30 PM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by oket

Does anyone have any additional news on what happened to Mr. Drumstick? I know there was a fire. I drove by a couple days ago and saw that the restaurant is probably totaled. I have known about them for about 3 years and both the woman and man that worked there were wonderfully nice and the food was good. I'm really going to miss the place. I doubt they will re-build. They've been in that place for so long and they are both probably seeing retiring as a better option than rebuilding. I just want to know more about what happened.

Thanks.

Hopefully "Highway 41" will get back to us, with more info. I am still amazed that at one time there were six locations going back to the late 60's, and I never heard of them, till I see an ad in an old wrestling program. Then, the day before I plan to eat there and take some pics, it burns down!

On the news clip I saw, the "Mr. Drumstick" sign looked to still be standing. Could you verify that? Also, what exact exit off of 285 is it? I would be coming from around the Cumberland mall area.

And lastly, could you tell me you favorite foods there?
                                              THANKS!

wmceaton

• Total Posts: 313
                                                RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Wed, 10/8/08 8:31 PM (permalink)
                                                www.pbase.com/donboyd/image/78483310

Picture of the LUM's in FL circa 1965

ces1948

RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Wed, 10/8/08 8:56 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by wmceaton

www.pbase.com/donboyd/image/78483310

Picture of the LUM's in FL circa 1965

There are many great old photos of Miami and south Florida restaurants etc. on that page. Thanks for sharing. Hope some of the south Florida natives who post on roadfood see that page.

Highway 41

RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Thu, 10/9/08 5:16 PM (permalink)
                                                    To get to Mister Drumstick, exit 285 at South Atlanta Road. Head towards Atlanta. When you cross the river, the street becomes Marietta Blvd. The first intersection is Bolton Road. Turn left, towards the waterworks, on to Bolton. Go through the first traffic light, which is Moores Mill. Mister Drumstick should be on the next corner on the left which is Coronet Way. I will try to go by there tonight.

Highway 41

RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Fri, 10/10/08 2:06 PM (permalink)
                                                      I went by Mister Drumstick yesterday. Its bad. The back of the building is basically gone, and it looks like the roof is pretty much gone too. The outside walls with the signage that you see on the google maps street view is about all that's left.

Back on the subject of Highway 41, "the four lane", and whatever else it was called back in the day. I have it on reasonably good authority that the Chinese Buffet used to be the "Red Sirloin" which, when googled, has some evidence of being a regional chain back in the 60s and 70s. Anybody remember it? Apparently there was a large fiberglass cow on the roof. I remember there was a fiberglass cow that made its way around town as a Senior Prank back in the early 70's, but I don't think it was that one.

Jim R

• Total Posts: 2
                                                        RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Fri, 10/17/08 8:45 PM (permalink)

Originally posted by laynel

Anyone else remember Parkmoor Restaurants in Dayton, Ohio in the 1960s? Sometimes the jingle in my head goes on for days -- "Parkmoor has what/no one else has got/Parkmoor's got Dixie Fried Chicken/that's what!"

And Mohler's Dairy on Smithville Road in Belmont?

I also remember the Parkmoor Restaurants all over Dayton. I remember several locations in the Dayton area. The one my family frequented the most was on the corner of Stroop Rd and South Dixie. Our family lived in West Carrollton. I also remember the Airway Road location.

If you can recall the "Hail and Hearty" restaurants that existed on Woodman Drive (near the corner of Woodman and E.Dorothy Lane) and on Dayton-Xenia Road in Beavercreek, those restaurants in the late 1980's to early 1990's were owned by a friend I have not seen in a very long time. His name is Phil Neibert. He did acquire the rights to the Parkmoor Chicken recipe from Parkmoor ownership when Parkmoor closed down. Phil used the same recipe for his Hail and Hearty restaurants.

I believe Phil sells insurance now. If you find him let me know. I sure miss the Dixie Fried Chicken. If you look up Phil tell him Hello for me. I believe he still lives in Kettering.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3705
                                                          • Location: McKinney, TX
                                                          RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Thu, 11/13/08 7:06 PM (permalink)
                                                          L&N Seafood Grill.

Anyone remember them?

I enjoyed the ones in Reston Town Center and Pentagon Fashion Center, both in NOVA.

Their small, sweetish biscuits were "the bomb"; they even used to sell the mix. It is still available?

QFan

• Total Posts: 641
                                                            • Location: Bonita Springs, FL
                                                            RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Sat, 11/15/08 12:03 PM (permalink)
                                                            Hey MJ, QFan and family lived in Reston (23 yrs) and enjoyed the L & N at Twn Ctr many times. The one down here in Naples was turned into a Silver Spoon 4 or 5 yrs ago. Now I believe even that's closed. But, yes, I do have fond memories of those biscuits and their seafood specialties. Twas above average for a chain.

QFan
                                                            Bonita Springs, FL

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > >> | Showing page 30 of 34, messages 871 to 900 of 994

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com