Hot!Long Gone Regional Chains

Page: << < ..31323334 > Showing page 31 of 34
Author
A2Mich
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2008/11/18 00:37:48 (permalink)
Of what has been mentioned, I remember the following, and mind you some are atill in business, but not where I remember them being:

Lums, Dog and Suds, A & W, Taco Tico, Del Taco, Naugles Tacos, Sobik's Subs, L & N Seafood, Wag's, Duff's Smorgasbord, Miami Subs, Polar Cup (frozen lemonade chain in Orlando, FL), Burger Queen, Hardee's (not many around anymore), Roy Roger's, Grandy's, Morrison's/Picadilly, Wunderbar, D'Lites, El Pollo Loco, Bonanza, Western Steer, Western Sizzlin', Tastee Freeze, Arthur Treachers, Captain D's, Shakey's Pizzeria, Howard Johnson's, and if no-one else has mentioned this...Daybreak (the restaurant that is/was at some Days Inn hotels), and I also remember the Holiday Inn Restaurants, Sizzler. There are probably countless others, but these have been jogged from my memory because of this thread
trbeer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 30
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2009/02/08 10:23:16 (permalink)
AHI MPLS

I didn't get to read ALL the pages in here,had to skim......but does anyone remember " PICK-A-POP"? are they still out there anywhere? they had a bizillion flavors , caramel apple soda pop!!!!

We had a few of these types of places in Michigan.  National, Town Club, the Pop Shop.   Rock & Rye was one of my favorite flavors
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2009/02/09 11:59:21 (permalink)
A2Mich, out of all the chains mentioned in your list, I see about a dozen that are still in business. Last month, I saw an operating Western Sizzlin' steakhouse near Lima OH, which really surprised me; I thought that chain had folded years ago. Hardee's is still a large chain, but most of their locations are in the southern states.
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2009/02/18 11:09:46 (permalink)
This past weekend while in Memphis, I saw another Western Sizzlin' steakhouse ( with the familiar 1970s logo, no less. ) I just looked at their website, and the chain, to my surprise, is alive and ( maybe ) well; approximately 125 locations in 19 states, and still serving their "Flame-Kist" steaks. This thread sure has brought back memories: Burger Queen outlets in Kentucky and West Virginia ( around 1980, BQ "morphed" into the Druthers chain, which sold out to DQ in the '90s. ) Also Borden Burger - I remember these ( bad burgers! ) in places like Portsmouth OH, Ashland KY and Huntington / Charleston WV. Long gone, and deservedly so, IMO. Western Steer steakhouses in the Carolinas - they changed their name to Prime Sirloin and now are down to just a handful of locations. Does anyone remember the Quincy's steakhouse chain? In the '90s they were all over the southeastern states, and then they just suddenly disappeared. They were owned by the same Spartanburg SC-based company that owned Denny's and El Pollo Loco; I wonder what went wrong ( Quincy's food was pretty decent. )  
Big Ugly Mich
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2009/02/18 14:02:28 (permalink)
nocarolinaDoes anyone remember the Quincy's steakhouse chain? In the '90s they were all over the southeastern states, and then they just suddenly disappeared. They were owned by the same Spartanburg SC-based company that owned Denny's and El Pollo Loco; I wonder what went wrong ( Quincy's food was pretty decent. )
The only thing I remember about Quincy's is seeing their logo on one of Alan Kulwicki's older cars. Let's just say that his last sponsor was Hooter's and let it go at that.

Or let's not. His story is pretty cool up until the helicopter crash. http://www.underbird.com/

post edited by Big Ugly Mich - 2009/02/18 14:04:31
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5065
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2009/02/18 19:31:29 (permalink)
The last time I saw a Quincy's was around 1981 in Tallahassee, FL.  As I remember they were pretty good quality wise.  There are more than a few Western Sizzlin'  Steakhouses around in my area.  A friend of mine own's the franchise.  The horrible Golden Corral chain is still around here also.
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2009/02/18 20:17:51 (permalink)
I can remember a time ( '80s / early '90s ) when you could get a pretty decent meal at Golden Corral. Unfortunately, the great slide into mediocrity soon began, and then came GC's conversion into a second-rate buffet operation. Heck, I can remember going to Ponderosa in the '70s and actually enjoying the meal. Why can't these corporate morons ever leave anything alone? Like the saying goes, if it ain't broke......  
Highway 41
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2009/03/11 10:40:01 (permalink)
If you google "Quincy's steak demise", the first link is to a Restaurant trade publication article about it.  Long story short, overleveraging led to profit pressures which led to a big slip in quality.  I can remember going to Quincy's fairly often back in the day.  It seemed a cut above the other steakhouse buffets.  Also you gotta love the tv show starring Jack Klugman as the county coroner.  It was cheesy and he was a ham.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3139
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2009/03/11 12:55:32 (permalink)
nocarolina

I can remember a time ( '80s / early '90s ) when you could get a pretty decent meal at Golden Corral. Unfortunately, the great slide into mediocrity soon began, and then came GC's conversion into a second-rate buffet operation. Heck, I can remember going to Ponderosa in the '70s and actually enjoying the meal. Why can't these corporate morons ever leave anything alone? Like the saying goes, if it ain't broke......  

I don't what is happening in your area but here in the eastern part of Cincinnati we have a Golden Corral that does a great business and has wonderful food.

NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3139
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2009/03/11 12:57:14 (permalink)
Adjudicator

The last time I saw a Quincy's was around 1981 in Tallahassee, FL.  As I remember they were pretty good quality wise.  There are more than a few Western Sizzlin'  Steakhouses around in my area.  A friend of mine own's the franchise.  The horrible Golden Corral chain is still around here also.

There was a Quincy's in Jasper AL that closed a while back - the food selection and quality never impressed me.
post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2009/03/11 17:22:32
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2009/03/11 13:38:11 (permalink)
I saw Del Taco above. I can't find one in Texas but I had a few tacos at the one, at a food court on the strip in Las Vegas, and the tacos were good as always. They once made a green chile taco burger that was GREAT! At least I thought it was. It was just their taco meat on a burger bun... but it had real green chiles on it, yum!
Joe
post edited by PapaJoe8 - 2009/03/11 13:40:36
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2009/03/11 17:17:27 (permalink)
Last fall I ate at the recently-opened Del Taco in Oak Lawn IL, the first ( and so far only ) in this region. I had high hopes that it would be better than Taco Bell. Surprise! It was even worse ( I know - doesn't seem possible, does it? ) I hated the food, and won't be going back. As for Golden Corral, I've eaten at two or three locations since the conversion to a buffet chain, and the food sucked each time; another "never again" chain. As I've said before, these big chains don't give a damn about quality. As long as the mindless masses continue to stream in and spend their money, management couldn't care less about producing a decent product.
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2164
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2009/03/12 00:15:46 (permalink)
Highway 41

If you google "Quincy's steak demise", the first link is to a Restaurant trade publication article about it.  Long story short, overleveraging led to profit pressures which led to a big slip in quality.  I can remember going to Quincy's fairly often back in the day.  It seemed a cut above the other steakhouse buffets.  Also you gotta love the tv show starring Jack Klugman as the county coroner.  It was cheesy and he was a ham.

Western Sizzlin got the Quincy chain, per the reference provided by Highway 41. Interestingly enough, their web site still shows Quincy's Family Steakhouses in Toccoa, GA, Florence, SC, and Monroe, NC:
http://www.western-sizzlin.com/
post edited by David_NYC - 2009/03/12 00:21:15
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5065
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2009/03/13 19:53:09 (permalink)
The Del Taco's I remember eating at (again a while back) were not bad.  The had cold beer also.  Maybe thats why I liked them (?)  ;)
south jersey michigan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2009/03/14 10:54:46 (permalink)
Are there any Orange Julius stands out there anymore? Frothy orange drinks and orange chili dogs were the thing when I was a wee one.

There was one functioning at the dying Metro North Mall in Kansas City (n.e. corner Barry Rd. @ U.S. 169) in 2008. With everyone pulling out of that mall not certain if it's there today.

I do recall seeing one in the Dearborn (Mich) are but can't recall where presently.
south jersey michigan
Junior Burger
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2009/03/14 11:13:12 (permalink)
BeefBurger

Does anyone remember the chain Steak N Egg Kitchen? they were tiny places open 24 hr that probably sat around 20 customers..I remember one in ft lauderdale and seeing some around the DC area

I was a big fan of Steak n’ Egg, my favorite Saturday morning joint when I lived in Miami. In Feb., 2009 went looking for the one I used to hang out at in West Miami on the w. side of some major north-south street, just s. of 8th. Not only was it gone, several blocks had been redeveloped including an Italian restaurant that I used to eat at.
            There still was the shell of one in Ft. Lauderdale, on the U.S. 1 frontage of Bethany Presbyterian Church’s (now called Ocho Rios Community Church or something like that) old sanctuary.
            There used to be a Steak n’ Egg at the Holiday Inn (now an Econolodge or something like that) on the e. side of Le Jeune across from the Miami Airport. In the 1990’s it was remodeled into another restaurant. When I stayed there again in Sept., 2007, I believe that the restaurant was gone.
            B.T.W., there was a Steak n’ Egger, similar name but different, on the n.e. corner of 28th St. and Madison in Grand Rapids (Mich.) in the 1970’s.

south jersey michigan
Junior Burger
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2009/03/14 11:40:36 (permalink)
ces1948

[id=quote font="arial, helvetica"]quote: Originally posted by aharste

We also used to go to a deli called Wolfie's in the Miami area. It was this Minnesota girl's first brush with cheesecake. I remember it being the hugest hunk of food my 6-year-old eyes had ever seen. Are there still Wolfie's around?

I'm pretty sure Wolfies is long gone. I used to go fairly regularly to the one in St. Pete, Fl on Central blvd around 34th st, in addition to the restaurant they also had a bakery which was VERY popular. I also went to the one in Miami Beach a few times. I miss those bowls of kosher pickles that were on the tables. Another thing I remember was the waitresses, all of whom looked like they had been there 30+ years.
Charlie

I saw an article in the Miami Herald within the last 6 months saying that the last of the Wolfie's had closed, I believe it was an extension in N. Miami Beach. I gave the article to someone and now can't find the original. Google did find http://beach-high.com/wolfies.html with some pictures, and the text "A landmark eatery for generations, Wolfie's Restaurant closed for business in 2002; the building, located at the SW corner of 21st and Collins, has now been demolished."

I THINK that the Meyer Lansky biography "Little Man" said that Wolfie's was where he hungout where he held court - while munching the pickles

Texzilla
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2009/03/15 11:13:37 (permalink)
There are several Griff's in the DFW area in older neighborhoods.  The one in Ft Worth is good.  Typical old fashioned place, but I wouldn't drive past a What a Burger to go to it.
Texzilla
Junior Burger
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2009/03/15 11:20:37 (permalink)
stonedcherry

[id=quote font="arial, helvetica"]quote: Originally posted by Big Muzzy

Do any of you enjoy What-a-Burgers??? What-a-Burger is a Southeast chain active in Florida and (I think) some parts of Alabama, Mississippi and maybe Arkansas...They have been around since the 50's and serve a GREAT burger!

I have seen them in Russellville, AR across from Arkansas Tech University, east TX including Kilgore, and lots of them around Shreveport, LA.

What-A-Burger is a Texas chain that is going strong all over the state.  The double what-a-burger with cheese and grilled jalapenos may be the best regional chain burger outside of California.  In Russellville, the place you describe is Fletcher's Whatta Burger, which is absolutely worth exiting off I40 for a visit. 
Texzilla
Junior Burger
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2009/03/15 11:29:48 (permalink)
Jeez, Magic Pan.  Haven;t heard that one in years.  They opened in Memphis when I was in high school, and it was quite novel in those days, an actual creperie.  Whoever thought they could build a high brow chain selling fancy hot cakes to folks in Memphis was not real smart, but it was popular as a date place because they tended to be very loose with the the ID for liquor. 
HDtravlr1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 288
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2009/03/15 13:30:07 (permalink)
Texzilla

There are several Griff's in the DFW area in older neighborhoods.  The one in Ft Worth is good.  Typical old fashioned place, but I wouldn't drive past a What a Burger to go to it.

We had Griff's here in Tulsa years ago. Didn't know that there were any left. It was a cheap lunch when I was in high school.
HDtravlr1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 288
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2009/03/15 13:38:33 (permalink)
south jersey michigan

Are there any Orange Julius stands out there anymore? Frothy orange drinks and orange chili dogs were the thing when I was a wee one.

There was one functioning at the dying Metro North Mall in Kansas City (n.e. corner Barry Rd. @ U.S. 169) in 2008. With everyone pulling out of that mall not certain if it's there today.

I do recall seeing one in the Dearborn (Mich) are but can't recall where presently.

We have an Orange Julius in Woodland Hills mall here in Tulsa. It is part of the Dairy Queen space. Not sure if there are still any Orange Julius stands still out there that are not part of Dairy Queen. My first trip to a stand was in Los Angeles 40 years ago.
post edited by HDtravlr1 - 2009/03/15 13:39:51
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2009/03/15 15:25:49 (permalink)
According to the website   www.orangejulius.com  they are a wholly-owned subsidiary of Dairy Queen International.
marzsit
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 347
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2009/03/17 06:01:23 (permalink)
2 local chains that i remember, that are long gone.........

dairy dell- this was a chain in tacoma, wa. that was similar to dairy queen, but had the most fantastic hot dogs.... they also had ice cream and burgers, but everybody went there for the dogs.... they also had the best, battered but not greasy, onion rings.

dag's- this was a chain in seattle, similar to another seattle chain that is still around (dick's). dag's had awesome burgers (beefy boy) and fries, and the best soft-serve cones.... after the founder passed away, the business ended up in the hands of his sons, all of which were total idiots (i know this because i worked for one of them, and knew all of them..) eventually all of the locations closed, and were sold to arby's, who still occupies all of the former dag's locations.

and, 1 more not-so-local, but definately regional chain that is long gone-  H. salt fish and chips. they had about a dozen locations in washington state at one time, supposedly they exist in name in southern california but from what i've heard, it's just not the same... the best battered english-style fish i've ever had. they also had the best battered mushrooms :)
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2009/03/17 12:07:29 (permalink)
marzsit, I remember both Dag's and H. Salt. In the '80s, when my job took me to Seattle frequently, I ate at Dag's a couple of times. The burgers were, as I recall, pretty decent. In the '70s, there were a number of H. Salt Fish & Chips locations here in the Chicago area. I'm not a seafood fan, so I never ate there, but they were a common sight throughout that decade.  
sirpher
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2009/05/12 11:56:38 (permalink)
I have only seen Orange Julius with DQ these days. In Chicago, there is one in the Food Court of the Thompson Center.

The H. Salt Fish and Chips reminded me of another chain, Chubb's Pier that was mostly in MA, but had one location in Chicago on Foster at the Kennedy Expy (I-90). The sign for the place was massive, so it could be seen on the Expressway. Now the location is a strip mall and a Burger King, but part of the sign is still there.
mbrookes
  • Total Posts : 1354
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2009/05/12 14:18:07 (permalink)
marzsit

2 local chains that i remember, that are long gone.........

dairy dell- this was a chain in tacoma, wa. that was similar to dairy queen, but had the most fantastic hot dogs.... they also had ice cream and burgers, but everybody went there for the dogs.... they also had the best, battered but not greasy, onion rings.

Could this be the same Dairy Dell that was in South Boston, VA? I never knew it was a chain, but the hot dogs were supurb.
Beverly K
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 81
Re:Long Gone Regional Chains 2009/05/17 09:39:41 (permalink)
Yes, I remember LUM's...if that isn't a blast from the past.

There seemed to be quite a few locations in Maine where I would go in the early 70s to visit family friends, but there was also a location in Timonium, MD, that was off SR 45, the old York Rd, in a strip mall. It was there until well in the late 70s, then it disappeared. Have no idea when it closed, exactly.

Now here are two more...

HUNTLEY's Hamburgers...we had one in York, PA, and that is the only one I remember. It may have been the only one. Don't remember much about the food, but the architecture was a Hobbit House, extreme sloping, tiled red roof.

Italian Oven...not exactly fast food, but really good food.
Chain was out of western PA, I believe. Their main problem was a common one...too many, too soon, too fast.

I just adore this thread, it is mind-blowing how many of these chains I remember.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15175
Re:Long Gone Regional Chains 2009/05/17 11:24:13 (permalink)
Your closing remark about enjoying this thread struck home with me. This topic, like several others that ask us to re-examine our own past does provide a lot of memory-clues that help us bring back some good (and some not-so-good) memories.

I find as I age, the "Space-Time Continuem" seems to get confused in my own mind!!  I mean I think of Orange Julius in the present tense!!! "Didn't we just see an O.J. Stand at the mall a short time ago??"  The answer to that query being that "Yes, We did see an O.J. Stand at the Mall....but the Mall was in Southern California and the  visit was over 9 years ago!" To put that in perspective---that was before the birth of 11 of our 23 grandchildren. 
     20th Century activities are really becoming "ancient history" in any discussions with my family. I guess this is the normal progress of life itself.  There are times that I wish I could bring back recall on many little things from my past, AND these memory-sharing threads seem to do that!
JumperCable
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2009/06/18 17:14:59 (permalink)
ces1948

Highway 41 or anyone, I know this is a longshot but I thought I would give it a try. I've been trying to recall the name of a restaurant (maybe a local chain) That was on Highway 41 near the Cumberland Mall(Atlanta) just a block or two north of 1-285 on the right. They had all you eat fried chicken and fish on Friday and Saturday nights. Seems to me it was a larger place and there was always a line to get in. This would've been in the late seventies. Does that ring any bells?

Could this be the Rio Vista on Highway 41?
Page: << < ..31323334 > Showing page 31 of 34
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1