The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Long Gone Regional Chains

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 4 of 34, messages 91 to 120 of 994
ConeyIslandLou

• Total Posts: 737
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Sat, 06/28/03 10:44 AM (permalink)
I actually shelled out the $2.50 for an A&W mug...and have been freezing it and putting cold A&W in it...mmmmm..just the thing for hot summer nights! Next thing to try in it will be a float or shake...mmm

Big George

• Total Posts: 12
    RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Sat, 06/28/03 2:12 PM (permalink)
    Hires Root Beer stands. Are they a thing of the past?

peppertree

• Total Posts: 301
      RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Sat, 06/28/03 5:30 PM (permalink)
      Wetson's in NYC was bought by Nathan's. Straight fries to crinkle cut. Some were closed and others became Nathan's

Little Tavern in DC. Miss those little golf ball type burgers.

Royal Castle-Miami- "Old fangled food, old fangled prices, Royal Castle." Counter service and table service sort of like a coffee shop. Good White Castle style burgers. Always a juke box there.

Arthur Treacher's Fish and Chips-Better than Long John Silver's.

Zesto's- Featuring the Chubby Decker. There are still six of them in Atlanta. My wife showed me where they used to be in Winona, Minn. Good burgers, fries and shakes.

Chock Full O' Nuts- Good hot dogs. Never touched, cooks used plastic gloves. Mid town Manhattan and Downtown Brooklyn. Franks not as good as Nathan's but still good. Nedick"s also was at 69th Street Terminal in Upper Darby (Philadelphia) PA.

A & W Root Beer stands are still in La Crosse, Wisconsin. Real nice.

Giant Burger from Miami, Florida. Anyone remember Giant Burger? They were around until about 1970.

Stouffers had the contract to cater the University of Pennsylvania cafeterias when I lived there. I went to Drexel but often ate at U of P.

But of them all, I miss Wetson's the most. My first straight cut fry was at Wetson's on Empire Blvd. and Flatbush Ave. in Brooklyn by Prospect Park.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15073
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Sat, 06/28/03 5:42 PM (permalink)
        Big George,
        I haven't seen a Hires Stand in Years...and that one was in End-of-the-World, Wyoming if I remember right.

peppertree

• Total Posts: 301
          RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Sat, 06/28/03 6:19 PM (permalink)
          There are Whataburgers all over the place here in Central Texas. There little hamburger is called Justaburger. You can buy burgers and fries anytime they are open.

jbburn

• Total Posts: 19
            RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Sat, 06/28/03 7:57 PM (permalink)
            our fastpitch softball game played the team at the michigan city,idiana state prison.i laid in a fat one and the batter knocked it for a home run way over this high stone fence.as he was sauntering around the bases he looked at me said he wished he was on it and could fly out of that place with the ball.consoled myself woth a large glass of beer in a frosty mug at lums and a few beer steamed hotdogs.the place has been closed for years but the building still remains.boy did this thread bring back memories

ocdreamr

• Total Posts: 1109
              RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Sat, 06/28/03 8:57 PM (permalink)
              This thread has had me thinking about White Coffee Pots. They were in shopping centers & were frequented by the ladies doing their shopping. I remember going to lunch with my mom on shopping day. They did sandwhiches both hot & cold as well as hot meals. I remember my favorite was a club sandwhich.

Fancifree

• Total Posts: 26
                RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Sun, 06/29/03 12:00 AM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by goldsborscht

I grew up in LA. There used to be Bob's Big Boy everywhere. I really do miss a lot of items. Shrimp salad. Chili spaghetti size. Navy bean soup. I remember looking forward to coloring the placemat. A possible mistake they made was hopping on the buffet trend. They couldn't quite figure out if the buffet was a one shot deal or all-you-can-eat. It had to do something with how many bowls of soup you can have. That just threw the whole Bob's goodwill vibe off kilter. Then there was the fall of Sambo's which overnight became Four Seasons and later something else though I can't quite remember. That too threw in a "healthy" aspect, perhaps a grilled chicken, even though they specialized in pies. That grilled chicken really destroyed the joy of chain diners. The only real health food on the menu should be the burger patty with cottage cheese. People in the '90s would laugh at the burger patty plate as diet food, but now that's Atkins an promotes weight loss, so they knew something we didn't. Anyways, RIP Bob's.

I know there is at least 2 more Bob's Big Boys in Southern California, although only the one in Glendale CA on Glenoaks is what it once was.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15073
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Sun, 06/29/03 6:56 AM (permalink)
                  Fancifree
                  The owner's of the trademark and logo of the Big Boy have done some creative marketing over the years. In the mid-nineties a "Retro-styled" 50's burger joint opened at the Hesperia exit of the I-15 It used the Big Boy logo, menu and Name !!(Bob's Big Boy). Next time you do the Vegas Run, take a look as you enter the High Desert !!!

MoBob

• Total Posts: 82
                    RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Sun, 06/29/03 3:35 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Big George,
                    I haven't seen a Hires Stand in Years...and that one was in End-of-the-World, Wyoming if I remember right.

Mayor,
                    You've gotta drive right on past End-of-the-World and drop off down into Utah. There are two Hires in Salt Lake City. They are a local favorite!
                    ps. you can still get carhop service

• Total Posts: 335
                      RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Thu, 07/3/03 2:20 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by yumbo

Does anyone remember Roy Rogers?

If memory serves there is still a Roy Rogers restaurant in operation east of Cincinnati on OH 32 just inside I-275, at Exit 63. I've eaten there twice!

There is a website with all of the locations at http://www.geocities.com/roy_rogers_wb/ !

• Total Posts: 335
                        RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Thu, 07/3/03 2:24 AM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by mobley

White Towers were in downtown areas in the Northeast and Upper South.

There are two White Tower restaurants in downtown Dayton, Ohio.

JoeyH

• Total Posts: 11
                          RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Fri, 07/11/03 6:05 PM (permalink)
                          Great topic.

There were still a couple of Lum's in the Peoria, Illinois area until recently. But I've heard they might have closed.

Looks like quite a few Ground Rounds still exist.
                          http://ahc.know-where.com/groundround/

The HoJo in St. Louis finally closed about a year ago. There are
                          11 restaurants left. Most are in the northeast, one in Michigan, and one in Puerto Rico.

There is still one Maid-Rite here in Southern Illinois (Christopher). I think there are still a few scattered around the midwest. I heard someone was trying to revive the franchise.

How about Dog 'N Suds?

hawkeyejohn

• Total Posts: 257
                            RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Sat, 07/12/03 10:33 AM (permalink)
                            I think that Maid Rites can still be found with some regularity in Iowa. I know that there is a Dog 'n' Suds in Tomahawk, Wisconsin.

Craig328

• Total Posts: 89
                              RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Sat, 07/12/03 11:32 AM (permalink)
                              One the immediately comes to mind in "Dutch Hut" .. a NJ based Hamburger/Fry joint. Disappeared in the early-seventies. Had spots all over central/southern NJ. Next would be Stewart's Drive Inn's .. few still around but hard to find. Lastly and more recently Kenny Rogers Roasters, all gone in Florida taken over by Boston Market and most of them are now gone. Shoney's also disappearing from the Florida landscape.

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                                RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Mon, 07/14/03 11:27 AM (permalink)
                                The Lum's in Peoria is back open again, it had been closed for a major remodeling. In the same plaza, there is a Maid-Rite, all the nostalgia in one place!

RockyB

• Total Posts: 120
                                  RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Mon, 07/14/03 11:49 AM (permalink)
                                  I remember a chain called "Red Barn". I ate at them in Minneapolis in the early 70's, and there was 1 in Corning, NY. Does anyone else remember them?

Liketoeat

• Total Posts: 552
                                    RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Mon, 07/14/03 1:26 PM (permalink)
                                    JoeyH. Love your Maid-Rite in Christopher as something different, unique, seldom found anywhere anymore, and its Maid-Rites makes a good change from a regular hamburger. Its pies are great, too. Also like Larry's there for both catfish and barbecue. Do you have any replacement recommendations for a person who thought the Savoya Inn was one of the greatest eating spots in this entire country. I could never fathom a town as small as Christopher being so fortunate to have three restaurants of the quality of the Savoya, Larry's, and Maid-Rite (in addition to other restaurants there). Liketoeat

i95

• Total Posts: 2500
                                      RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Mon, 07/14/03 2:54 PM (permalink)
                                      Have we all forgtotten about the long-gone Gino's retaurants in the Washington-metropolitan area (named after a former Baltimore Colt, I believe)? God rest his burger-flippin' soul!

jeffskal

• Total Posts: 54
                                        RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Mon, 07/14/03 3:55 PM (permalink)
                                        Gino Marchetti, yep, the Colts - they had murals with pictures of him playing. Gino's was the Kentucky Fried Chicken franchise holder at the Pa-Nj stores, don't know if that was so in other locations.

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
                                          RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Mon, 07/14/03 4:32 PM (permalink)
                                          Red Barn was good while it lasted. I went to several in the Denver area in the previous century. They had a Barney Burger similar to a big mac but grilled, (and better).

Gino's was similar to McD's, w/ the 15 cent hamburgers. I was lifeguarding at a resort pool in PA in the 60's and one of the guests bet six of us lifeguards $100 that we couldn't eat 100 Gino burgers in an hour. We did it - that's about 17 apiece. But we were young and foolish then. Gino's also had KFC before they went national with their own stores. Every once in a while you could find Gino Marchetti at one of his stores flipping burgers for the customers. He would come out from behind the counter and talk football with the people. In many locations, Gino's became Roy Rogers Roast Beef.

JoeyH

• Total Posts: 11
                                            RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Mon, 07/14/03 9:42 PM (permalink)
                                            Likestoeat -
                                            The Savoya was one of a kind, I'm afraid. I've heard the "Old Rome" is open again in Murphysboro. It used to be a similar genre. But I haven't been there lately. There are a few more roadfood-worthy places in the area...but I think I'm probably way off topic in this thread already.

Liketoeat

RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Mon, 07/14/03 10:02 PM (permalink)
                                              Thanks, JoeyH. The Savoya over the years surely was something not to be equaled anywhere in this country! Tis a pity its gone. Hope all is going well with Barb and all the girls who worked there. I may be off topic, too, (know technically I am in venturing from the Maid-Rite) in this thread, but will keep Old Rome in mind for next trip up and would appreciate/enjoy seeing your roadfood recommendations in that area in a post where you think appropriate. LTE

RockyB

• Total Posts: 120
                                                RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Tue, 07/15/03 3:07 PM (permalink)
                                                I remember the Gino's radio jingle...
                                                "Everybody goes to Gino's 'cause Gino's is the place to go!"

Peznt

• Total Posts: 13
                                                  RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Tue, 07/15/03 3:59 PM (permalink)
                                                  Lums, I still have one of the beer mugs packed away somewhere, I went for the Ollie Burger and Frosted Mugs of beer.
                                                  Abdows Big Boy had several restaurants in our area.
                                                  York Steak House was going strong in the late 70's.
                                                  I also used to like Burger Chef, as they had a toppings bar for the burgers which as a kid thought was a great idea.
                                                  The Ground Round had several locations which were sold off, tossing peanut shells on the floor seemed like great fun.

Peznt

Chumley

• Total Posts: 182
                                                    RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Tue, 07/15/03 4:22 PM (permalink)
                                                    We used to have a chain in NYC called Burger Heaven. There are still a couple of them around and the burgers (and fries) are still pretty good, too. They are definitely not of the pre-cooked variety you find in most diners these days. There was also a pre-cursor to Burger Heaven called Hamburg Heaven that was in the 50's between 5th and Madison. They had really different seating - kind of like school chairs for single diners where you sat against a wall and the table swung into place in front of you. Lot's of dark wood. In addition to the wonderful Hamburgers, Fries, and Malteds, I remember eating and loving my first Apple Fritter there!

BigGlenn

RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Tue, 07/15/03 6:33 PM (permalink)
                                                      Didn't read all 5 Pages of this Forum....Yet! Did anybody mention "Minuteman Burger" It was a chain in Arkansas in the 60's and 70's? I remember it as a child and the building is still in my hometown. It has been many things since it closed in the 70's.

Liketoeat

RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Tue, 07/15/03 7:10 PM (permalink)
                                                        BigGlenn, you are talking about Wes Hall's MinuteMan Restaurants which used to be all over the state, and which were quite good with their burger and other "meal" offerings. Also, if my memory is correct, MinuteMan restaurants had the first microwave ovens in the state which they advertised as "radar ranges" and in which they heated their radar range fruit pies (fruit cobblers in cups) and which were also good, despite their coming out of the ovens steaming & dangerously hot (an oddity back then). They would have been even better had they been topped by a scoop of ice cream rather than a dab of unwhipped cream (seemed more to me like just plain milk) poured over the hot pies. I thought all MinuteMan Restaurants had long been gone, but somewhere in some town (in some section of the state in which I do not routinely travel) within the past two years I saw a restaurant in a MinuteMan building and still using the MinuteMan sign, but cannot remember where it was. Wish I had stopped to check it out. Your memory is good, BigGlenn. Do you by any chance recall the Old King Cole restaurant on Broadway in Little Rock? Years ago that was where I always wanted to eat whenever we went to Little Rock for the day.

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
                                                          • Location: Baltimore, MD
                                                          RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Sat, 07/19/03 10:24 PM (permalink)
                                                          Everybody goes to Gino's, cause Gino's is the place to go.
                                                          Everybody goes to Gino's, everbody in the know.
                                                          A hamburger there is just 15 cents, with some french frys and a milkshake you'll be glad that you went.
                                                          Yes, everybody goes to Gino's, cause Gino's is the place to goooooooooooh.

I can sing it but only off key.

And who can forget Gino's teammate on the Baltimore Colts, Alan "The Horse" Ameche, who actually started his own drive-in burger chain called what else "Ameches". They had the Powerhouse doubledecker while Gino's was the Giant. If memory serves me, Alan and Gino were actually the partner owners of Ameches, which was a curb service type drive-in, maybe even had inside seating. Then they started opening the Gino's fast food stands. (Think of the original McDonalds with the golden arches). No inside seating, just walk up ordering and take it to your car or home.

So they closed the few Ameches locations and put up Gino's, then they secured the KFC franchise rights for at least the Baltimore area, and Gino's was the only place you could get KFC. And then Marriott bought Gino's Inc. out, making Gino very rich, and Alan may have already passed away....turning them into Roy Rogers, featuring the ole singing cowboy himself in the early advertising and roast beef and only quarter pound hamburgers.....And then Marriott sold Roys to McDonalds who converted some to McD's and closed many others because they were close to already operating McD's. Although on the 95 corridor in Maryland and north, I think Roy Rogers still exists at the rest stops along the way still operated by Marriott.

I'll meetcha at Ameches, I'll treatya at Ameches, and I don't remember the rest.

ocdreamr

• Total Posts: 1109
                                                            • Location: Wilmington, NC
                                                            RE: Long Gone Regional Chains Sun, 07/20/03 12:08 AM (permalink)
                                                            Since I was too young to get over to Rt 40 where both Ameche's & the Varsity were I had Ginos in Catonsville as my Fast Food of choice. In my humble opinion the Gino Giant far outshone the Big Mac. I remember it as a walk up. My friends & I used to go to the Alpha theater on Frederick Rd & then walk down to the Ginos for a burger, fries & soda. Movies & lunch under $2.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 4 of 34, messages 91 to 120 of 994

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com