Hot!Long Gone Regional Chains

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 34
Author
pgsvensk
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/07/20 11:37:10 (permalink)
Am I losing my mind (don't answer) or was there not a Gino's on Beach Boulevard down near the beach in Huntington Beach, CA in the mid-70s? I could swear there was; remember how much my dad liked the 15c burger price.
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/07/21 08:23:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Leemart

Please don't forget the first franchise restaurant of all, Howard Johnson's. At one time there were well over 1000 Ho Jo's in the country but many factors led to their near demise. I haven't seen one in over 20 years, but have located four of them along the I-95 corridor that I intend to visit on an upcoming trip from Florida to Nova Scotia. Most folks don't remember the heyday of this chain, and the fantastic ice cream (average 18% butterfat content) as well as the best fried clams and frankfurters in the country.

Another favorite was Royal Castle, which had it all over the other "mini-burger" businesses such as White Castle, Krystal, etc. And who could forget Royal Castle's signature Birch Beer, served in a frosted mug? I've heard that there is still an operating Royal Castle in Miami, but have not yet had the opportunity to check it out.

I worked for HoJo's once---long long ago in Bloomington Indiania--for about 6 months, When i started we actually used BUTTER to melt on the grill for the natural casing franks and grilled the bun with butter too---and used clams with bellies!!!---when i left---the new "Cook Book" said----place frozen entreepack in microwave. Set temp at med for six mins.....We parted ways---sad
While im here---anyone remember Dogie Diner out in the Bay Area--open all night in some amazing locations----like surrounded by factories and no sign of life anywhere and here are two guys working to bring us a good Hot dog!A woderful site at 3am!!
peppertree
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 303
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/07/26 19:22:38 (permalink)
Yes, I think that there is one Royal Castle left in Miami. I can not vouch for the quality though.

Old Fangles Food
Old Fangled Prices
Royal Castle.
jeffskal
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/07/26 20:02:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

quote:
Originally posted by Leemart

Please don't forget the first franchise restaurant of all, Howard Johnson's. At one time there were well over 1000 Ho Jo's in the country but many factors led to their near demise. I haven't seen one in over 20 years, but have located four of them along the I-95 corridor that I intend to visit on an upcoming trip from Florida to Nova Scotia. Most folks don't remember the heyday of this chain, and the fantastic ice cream (average 18% butterfat content) as well as the best fried clams and frankfurters in the country.

Another favorite was Royal Castle, which had it all over the other "mini-burger" businesses such as White Castle, Krystal, etc. And who could forget Royal Castle's signature Birch Beer, served in a frosted mug? I've heard that there is still an operating Royal Castle in Miami, but have not yet had the opportunity to check it out.

I worked for HoJo's once---long long ago in Bloomington Indiania--for about 6 months, When i started we actually used BUTTER to melt on the grill for the natural casing franks and grilled the bun with butter too---and used clams with bellies!!!---when i left---the new "Cook Book" said----place frozen entreepack in microwave. Set temp at med for six mins.....We parted ways---sad
While im here---anyone remember Dogie Diner out in the Bay Area--open all night in some amazing locations----like surrounded by factories and no sign of life anywhere and here are two guys working to bring us a good Hot dog!A woderful site at 3am!!

See http://www.doggiediner.com.

Unfortunately I'm only familiar with them through the Zippy the Pinhead comics which would feature Zippy talking to the large dog head icon (usually in the storage yard it ended up in).

I too worked at HoJo's in Atlantic City (Summer 1971) - it was a small fast-food and ice cream type stand on the corner of the Boardwalk and Arkansas Aves., and the hotel itself was on that block. We definitely grilled the hot dogs in butter. And the staff was allowed to eat the ice cream once a week... :)
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 890
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/07/31 17:25:47 (permalink)
There is some great reading regarding the HoJo's food research included in Jacque Pepin's "The Apprentice" (which is an excellent read in and of itself) from the period when he and Pierre Franey worked for HoJo. I have very fond memories of HoJo's fried clams from that era...
Big George
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/07/31 17:34:08 (permalink)
Blue Circle hamburger chain in East Tn, Western NC. A drive in with Krystal-like fare. Like all the old chains, I miss them.
Lone Star
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/07/31 17:34:09 (permalink)
Does anyone remember Dorado Chicken from the 70's and 80's? It was a special version of roasted chicken,a few sides, and that was it.

I miss them.
peppertree
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 303
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/07/31 19:30:33 (permalink)
Don't cook tonight eat Chicken Delight. Jingle from a chicken chain in the NYC area from around 1970.

Zestos. Yeh, they are still in Atlanta, but they used to be in Winona, MN. I wish they were, they had a good menu and great soft ice cream.

Their burger is called the Chubby Decker.
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 753
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/07/31 20:57:38 (permalink)
Originally posted by peppertree

Don't cook tonight eat Chicken Delight. Jingle from a chicken chain in the NYC area from around 1970.

Actually, it was 'Don't cook tonight,CALL Chicken Delight',as CD was a fried chicken delivery outfit..sort of a Domino's with wings..and thighs and breasts....
fdm813
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 114
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/08/01 00:05:58 (permalink)
In Southwest Virginia, Kenny's Hamburgers, Biff Burger, and Rays Hamburgers. The first two featured sauce burgers much like the ones at Pals in Tenn. Rays was a chain owned in part by the Petty family of Nascar fame. They had chile cheeseburgers with cole slaw. I worked at a Burger Chef through high school. That too is gone but will have a warm place in my thoughts. Great times!
CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1394
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/08/01 08:20:41 (permalink)
There were Chicken Delights in the Philly area in the sixties. There were a couple other chicken chains including some that had "broasted chicken"...all of these were in response to the growing Kentucky Fried Chicken chain.
hermitt4d
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 367
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/08/04 04:21:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lone Star

Does anyone remember Dorado Chicken from the 70's and 80's? It was a special version of roasted chicken,a few sides, and that was it.

I miss them.

'Golden Broasted Chicken' is what I remember as the original slogan; later it was 'the un-fried chicken.' Basically what is now usually called rotisseried chicken and very good. I remember the first time I saw the restaurant, I thought it was on fire because of the wall of flames (with the big spit revolving before it). It was down to just one location near the Medical Center in Houston up until about 4 or 5 years ago, now a drive-thru sushi bar. I used to drive all the way over there and frequently saw cars with medical tags and even chauffered vehicles in the drive-thru. Beat the heck out of Boston Market and supermarket rotisseried chickens and toward the end they had a real good selection of sides. I really miss 'em too.

If you're from Houston you may remember Ron's Crispy Fried Chicken in the 70s also. Bought out by Church's. Advertised by Ole Dew and Lil' Dew, a father and son gardening advice duo on local radio; when they were killed in a plane crash, Ron's sold out, but I don't know if they were involved in ownership. Better than Church's. We used to call them Ron's Crispy Critters because, well, sometimes you couldn't easily tell what part of the chicken the pieces came from.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13523
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/08/04 04:32:29 (permalink)
I thought broasted chicken was chicken that was fried under pressure?? I must have got that one wrong.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
DaveM
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 353
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/08/04 12:41:36 (permalink)
Many of the Gino's franchises in MA, became either Bosn's Whistle, or Chubb's Pier. both were fried fish and chip places. I worked as a kid in the Bosn's Whistle in Burlington,MA just after it changed from Gino's.
Roy Rogers started to have locations at the rest areas along Massachusetts highways, but that contract went to McDonald's 2 years ago.
An original A&W drive in still exists in Middlebury,VT on Rt. 7 with car hop service.
Both Arthur Treacher's and Long John Silver's both unsuccessfully tried restaurants in the Boston suburbs. Red Lobster is even having difficulty keeping locations open in Coastal New England.
Does anyone remember (way back) Howdy's? Looked similar to the original metalic McDonald's.
Joe and Nemo's Hot Dogs has had the license repurchased and restarted in Boston-great steamies.
Lum's may still have franchisees in Maine.
Nashua,NH lost their original HoJo's 2 years ago to a car delaership.
Chock Full O'Nuts owns the QuickKava chain of drive thru coffee houses. Some are still flourishing here in New England-no seats- just drive thru service.
DaveM
RockyB
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/08/04 12:53:19 (permalink)
Speaking of Gino's & Ameche's in Baltimore, does anyone remember that Johnny Unitas had a resturant there named "The Golden Arm"??
Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/08/04 16:22:21 (permalink)
Hermit - thanks for the info. I have always wondered what happened to the Dorado chicken chain because it did seem to be so popular.

I remember Ron's chicken, but did not know it was Churches that bought them out. Churches is just awful I think. Too salty and the crust has no character.
jeffskal
Hamburger
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/08/04 17:15:36 (permalink)
My brother worked for "New England Pizza", a small Philly chain, in the '70s and they had "broasted chicken" - that definitely was a pressure fried chicken; I remember seeing the special lid of the "broaster" with the pressure meter on it.
As a side note, generically, "New England Pizza" (there were many chains with variations on the name) was a deep-dish style pizza. Don't know if they still thrive there or not...
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2883
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/08/04 20:25:48 (permalink)
I just got back from a food show. The Orange Julius guys were there. It seems they mostly sell the machines and mixes to other restaurants now. They admitted there was powdered egg white in it, but wouldn't divulge any other secrets. They did, however give me a T-shirt that says "WANNA BANG!"
jeffskal
Hamburger
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/08/04 20:55:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by EliseT

I just got back from a food show. The Orange Julius guys were there. It seems they mostly sell the machines and mixes to other restaurants now. They admitted there was powdered egg white in it, but wouldn't divulge any other secrets. They did, however give me a T-shirt that says "WANNA BANG!"

Are you sure they were Orange Julius guys? I've never seen Orange Julius in any other context than their own stores, and Orange Bang (along with I think Pineapple and some Horchata) is a very common drink at lots of fast food places (Popeye's Chicken comes to mind, and before that Pioneer Chicken). From the URL, they're headquartered a few minutes from my house, in fact...

http://www.angelfire.com/biz2/orangebang/

I've never done a taste test but I seem to recall they're similar... I always thought that there was some powdered non-dairy creamer in those drinks, too.
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2883
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/08/05 04:25:56 (permalink)
My mistake. I thought the drinks from Orange Julius were called Orange Bangs. The logo looked so similar...I'm sure that's on purpose. The big sneaks. I still love the T-shirt. "Wanna Julius?" Would not be funny at all.

Again, you guys have set me straight. How would I ever grope my way through this miasma of confusion without all of your guiding hands to lead me?
ces1948
  • Total Posts : 1510
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/08/06 16:43:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by oneiron339

Anybody remember "Biff Burger", sort of a Burger Chef type-place which char-broiled the burgers? Tasted better than the griddle-fried McD burgers. Also, there was a small drive-in only place w/ car hops in PA called Hickey's (no lie). Seems alot of the submarine racers used to go to Hickey's then go get hickeys, if you get the drift.

There was a Biff Burger around Largo/Clearwater Fl. They used a "conveyor belt" covered broiler which they put the raw burgers in one end and the cooked burger would roll out the other end. Kind of like Quizno's does today.

Charlie
kidlightning
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 33
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/08/09 14:03:11 (permalink)
Big Boy used to have the best strawberry pie. I haven't had one in years, but I remember them fondly. When I was about 18 or 19, and had my first car, we would drive about 100 miles roundtrip to eat at BigBoy. I have seen them since, but I haven't had the heart to stop in and see if they still had Strawberry Pie. I think it would be too much for me to take if it was no longer there. Oh, what memories, what memories!
RockyB
Cheeseburger
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/08/12 20:21:30 (permalink)
The Frisch's Big-Boy is actually a split franchise. The stores in and around Toledo and towards Detroit although they carry the "Frisch's" banner,are actually owned not by Frisch's, but by a gentleman named Milt Bennett & his Bennett corporation out of Toledo.
mamiller35
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/08/13 22:18:16 (permalink)
anyone know if kewpie burger is still around? i ate at two about ten years ago - one in lima, ohio and the other in lansing michigan.
retired & glad
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 32
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/08/21 10:09:08 (permalink)
I don't know if I'm older than everyone else but one of the long gone chains I remember, is "The Golden Point" burger chain. I was going to trade school in K.C., MO in 1959 and really ate them up. One thing that was really great was their Saturday special: 6 hamburgers and 3 french fries, for one dollar. It was good food, and a great deal, when you were working part time at "Monkey Wards" catalog Dept.

the retired one
eaglerich
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 39
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/08/31 04:25:37 (permalink)
I was a manager for Gino's in the late 70's and early 80's, and PGSvensk you are not going mad. There was a Gino's in Ca., perhaps more than one, although I could never figure out why a Mid-Atlantic burger chain would open stores so far away from their main market.
Gino's sold the Gino Giant, an excellent burger , and had the KFC franchise for Pa., N.J., Md., and Metro-N.Y. In the mid-80's execs started to mess with the menu, de-emphasizing the Giant and adding the Heroburger ( basically a six inch long rectangular Whopper with thousand island dressing ), and then when that didn't work out, the Homestyle Burger, a large fresh (not frozen) burger that the customer could garnish himself at the "fixin's bar", like a salad bar. During this period of "grasping at straws", some New England Gino's were converted to Chubb's Pier and Bos'ns Whistles.Alas, you shouldn't fix what ain't broke, and Gino's had to sell out to Marriot Corp., which converted most of the Gino's to Roy Rogers'. The KFC franchise went back to KFC Corp. (a division of Hublien at that time). I lost track of the Marriot stores at this point, as I ended up working for KFC. BTW, Gino's also operated Rustler Steakhouses, a Sizzler or Bonanza style concept.
Also, I believe A&W is now owned by Yum Corp. (KFC, Taco Hell, Pizza Hut, etc.), so you can expect more co-branded sights, and a corresponding drop in quality.
jevmass
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 34
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/08/31 12:01:35 (permalink)
I worked at a York Steak House just outside of Boston when in high school back in the early 80's. This was a decent sized chain mainly located in shopping malls in the northeast. It was a cafeteria style restaurant with char-broiled steak, chicken and burgers on the menu. Most of the meals were under $10 with the t-bone steak dinner costing $11 or so at the time. The place was always mobbed where I worked and then the next thing you know, they disappeared off the face of the earth. Just wondering if anybody else remembered this place.

RockyB
Cheeseburger
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/08/31 20:50:33 (permalink)
There used to be a Steak Chain called "Beefsteak Charlie's" The one I knew of especially was just outside of Harrisburg PA in a town called
Union-Deposit. They always had peel & eat shrimp on their salad bar. I used to like to eat there whenever we visited the Pennsylvania Farm Show in January. They are now gone, and I have never seen or heard of them again. I do know they were a chain. Does anyone have any clues as to what happened to them???
Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2314
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/08/31 21:41:03 (permalink)
San Diego used to have a burger chain called Oscar's, where I first saw double-deckers.
The very first fish taco stand, Rubio's, opened in a building that had previously been an Orange Julius.
Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/09/06 21:59:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by eaglerich

Mr. Mayor,
I was raised in the "eat this or starve" school, as I'm sure you were, but I find myself frying chicken wings for the kids when I prepare seafood for my lovely wife and myself.
I was raised there, too; Mr. Mayor, could you go back in time & train my wife? She used to cave in for the little buggers. (I did, too, though, when we ate lobster!)

Random notes:

There was an Orange Julius in Albuquerque in the mid-50s. It was just barely off Central (= US 66) on, I think one of the "metal" streets. It used "official" Waring BlendOrs, name copyrighted or trademarked or something, so the rest are called "Blenders". Or vice versa.

In W TN they were "Shoney's Big Boys." Owned, as were Roy Rogers Roast Beef, by Alex Schoenbaum (sp?) out of, I think, Nashville.

And does anybody remember Tony's Pizza? In the late '60s Big Tony [Bucci, I think] of Pensacola had about 60 of them, scattered mostly around the South. Good product, considering that we bought everything from HQ. I more or less ran one for a couple of years; then was asked to consider Quality Control as a career with them. I flew to Pensacola, saw HQ and realized it was a warehouse with a little bitty office. Went back home, & 3 weeks later the Feds padlocked all of the stores for non-payment of withholding taxes. Having gotten an idea of who was actually rinning the chain by then, I just kept my head down and said. "Nossing! I know nossing!"
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 34
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1