Hot!Long Gone Regional Chains

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 34
Author
capnhank
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 96
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/09/11 15:58:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Tyler

>Are there still Dog 'n' Suds around?

There was one in Lafayette, IN, last time I was there. They had the Dog'n'Suds car outside; sort of a hot dog shaped jalopy, ala Lil' Oscar.

Here in San Jose, CA, we've still got A&W, Foster's Freeze, Bob's Big Boy, Shakey's Pizza, Orange Julius and quite a few other places that seem to have been pushed to the westernmost reaches of the continent. Is that a good thing?

I also remember the demise of Sambos. It became Seasons "friendly eating", whatever that means. They don't seem to be around anymore, either They've probably all evolved into Perkins or Applebees or some other such godforsaken hellhole. I do have a stuffed Sambos tiger from the mid-70s, when they were desperately trying to forget that Sambo himself was ever involved. Funny how using a racist stereotype as a mascot can get you in trouble. I guess Mr. Chau gets away with it because there actually is such a person. Tsk tsk.

KimChee43
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 382
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/09/11 19:43:33 (permalink)
PHIL J.: There was a "Red Barn" in Elgin, Illinois when I was little. My mom loves fried chicken, and she used to buy it there for the family back in the '60s, I believe. And, you're right...the building did resemble a little red barn.
kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/09/13 08:59:58 (permalink)
KimChee43, there is a Ponderosa by the Fox Valley Mall at New York St. and Commons in Aurora, Il. I remember the Cock Robin in Naperville when I worked for the City of N in the mid-1970's. I don't remember the Red Barn though I grew up in that area in the 60's.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13477
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/09/13 15:25:30 (permalink)
Golden Corral in Atlanta was just recently voluntarily closed in Atlanta due to a death and many people becoming sick due to salmonella. They have not been able to ascertain the cause.

I just recently experienced fried chicken brown and crispy on the outside and frigid on the inside at Ryan's. It was the second time I had that experience at Ryan's. I discussed the experience with the waitress and she indicated that she had several customers indicating the same complaint. I e-mailed Ryan's and got a response from the regional manager indicating they had changed systems.

Buffets are sort of fun and they definately give you variety but due to many variables, you never know what you are going to get.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Mayhaw Man
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 589
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/09/14 09:30:59 (permalink)
There is still and Ponderosa in Jackson MS (at least there was 4 years ago when I was working there). Oddly enough, the buffet line was straight up (and pretty well made) classic soul food. We used to eat lunch there all the time and it was really good. I guess it's still there. It was about thirty seconds off I-20 on old Hwy 80 in west Jackson.
t007m
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/09/14 20:24:40 (permalink)
Regarding this post:
Ground Round - There is one in Solon, OH - suburb of Cleveland.

Big Boy - In Cleveland they were called Manners and had a different sauce for the Big Boy burger. Manners sold the chain to Frischs and Frischs sold it to Elias Bros. But, in both cases they still kept the original Cleveland sauce.

To all the folks back in Cleveland, they know this is the King of King of sauces put on the Big Boy, Diamond Jim and asked by millions for Xtra sauce in a small cup. If I could only get some. I'm out in Gig Harbor, Washington and my wife and I still talk about the sauce long after it has gone. It can be said that if you haven't seen Higbees today.... you haven't seen Higbees! This sauce was better than Halle's 7th floor. What more can I say.
kland01s
Filet Mignon
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/09/15 09:57:16 (permalink)
Is there still a place called Duff's cafeteria? I went to one in Tennesse about 15 years ago. I remember they had the food on these revolving things that if you weren't too quick you'd have to wait until they came around again. One of my coworkers at the time used to make a point of stoping there wherever he drove to Florida so he could "get stuffed at Duff's". I also remember the food not being very good. Found a little cafe called Libby's Diner that had just opened for business (near Smoky Mtn. Park) and the food was wonderful and the people very accomadating. We spent the rest of our camping trip eating at Libby's. Haven't been anywhere near there since.
ces1948
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/09/15 14:55:16 (permalink)
I believe the "Po Folks" was started by a country music star but the name eludes me. We had one for several years in Ft.Pierce, Fl. but it closed many years ago. I seem to recall the food being pretty good but it was pretty "He Hawish".

Charlie

quote:
Originally posted by peppertree

Does anyone remember Po Folks. Country cooking...good. Food was similar to Black Eyed Pea, but the place put a strong emphasis on hillbilly lifestyle. There was one in Waco, Texas and I also ate at one in Norther Kentucky (near Cincinatti). I always liked them, but I think they are gone.

Po Folks, yall come back.
ces1948
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/09/15 14:58:53 (permalink)
We had a Duffs in Stuart, Fl for several years but I don't recall the revolving things. Many people got sick from eating there one weekend and they closed for good. I also seem to remember them in Orlando. I ate there several times and it was basically just average with quanity over quality.

Charlie

quote:
Originally posted by kland01s

Is there still a place called Duff's cafeteria? I went to one in Tennesse about 15 years ago. I remember they had the food on these revolving things that if you weren't too quick you'd have to wait until they came around again. One of my coworkers at the time used to make a point of stoping there wherever he drove to Florida so he could "get stuffed at Duff's". I also remember the food not being very good. Found a little cafe called Libby's Diner that had just opened for business (near Smoky Mtn. Park) and the food was wonderful and the people very accomadating. We spent the rest of our camping trip eating at Libby's. Haven't been anywhere near there since.
hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1083
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/09/15 15:44:02 (permalink)
There is still a York's Steakhouse in Columbus, OH on the West side. I don't know if it is part of the chain you used to find in malls all the time, but it is set up the same way. You go through a cafeteria style line and pick up dessert, drinks, and a salad plate. Order your entree and they will bring it to your table. Not great steaks but reasonably priced and the hamburgers are actually very good. I'll bet they haven't changed the decor since the day it opened.
fdm813
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 114
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/09/15 19:00:37 (permalink)
I believe that Po' Folks was started by Bill Anderson. In the country music vein, is Kenny Rodgers Roasters still around? There were three locations locally. But the closed several years ago. Gosh, that chicken was good. I had heard that they were bought by Nathan's.
Liketoeat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 552
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/09/20 14:15:33 (permalink)
mrjimi, think I'm correct in these statements. Morrison's Cafeterias were bought by the Picadilly Cafeteria chain a number of years ago and the only one which remains (and I'm not certain if its owned by Picadilly, by the Outlaws or any of the former Morrisons owners, or by someone else having purchased rights to the name) is out in the middle of a shopping center (believe Regency Square) parking lot on Airport Boulevard in Mobile, AL. Have no idea as to its quality as I've never eaten there. You probably know that Mobile was Morrison's founding location and headquarters, and I lived there for 30 years during its heydey and beginning of its decline. If you'll use the Roadfood search feature, I've made (and so have other people) some other posts re Morrison's.
a noid
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 45
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/09/21 11:20:59 (permalink)
Another franchise of Howard Johnson's was the Red Coach Grille, only located at its prestige Lodges. They made a wicked Caesar salad.
kland01s
Filet Mignon
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/09/22 09:22:50 (permalink)
KimChee43, I was in Wheaton, Ill. yesterday having an wonderful, rich meal at Emilio's Tapas and noticed a Cock Robin(complete with the old signage)in operation. I cannot tell you the street name but its 2 streets north of the train tracks in the downtown area. Walking around we saw a number of interesting cafes however few open on Sunday. The Cock Robin was very busy both inside and on the outside patio.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4587
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/09/22 14:30:46 (permalink)
we used to have 3 department store restaurants in KC. Macy's, Jones', and Emery Bird Thayer. Those were some of my fondest memories, as eating there was the reward for having to endure the ordeal of going shopping downtown with mom.
Richard Brooks Alba
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 93
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/09/22 15:14:33 (permalink)
KimChee43 [et al],
Many moons ago (I'm thinking the summer of 1970), my family was returning to California from a roadtrip to Mexico City, with stops all along the way to visit family on both sides of the border. If memory serves, we spent at least one night in a Holiday Inn somewhere between Alamagordo, NM and our home near San Bernardino, CA - probably in Arizona. Apart from some nearby live Hopi dancing [& the obligatory Kachina dolls], my primary memory of that entire year was my first taste of properly-cooked sirloin steak in the hotel dining room during that stay. That was the first time I remember [at the age of 8] having savored what I was eating.
Buen provecho,
Richard
Berkeley/SF, CA

P.S. A "long gone" question of my own [directed to SoCal (esp. Inland Empire) folks]: does ANYONE remember the Carl's Jr. offshoot "Taco de Carlos"? There was one in Loma Linda, just south of the San Bernardino freeway [I-10] - and not far from a vegetarian fast food joint [whose name escapes me] that appealed to local Seventh-Day Adventists. I don't remember seeing the modified Star - w/ sombrero? - anywhere else. I think I only went there once, out of curiosity, in the late '70s.
quote:
Originally posted by KimChee43

Forgive my naivete, but can somebody enlighten me on a few things?

First: In the good old days, we used to eat at a Howard Johnson's Restaurant while we were on the road with the folks. These restaurants were the coffee shops that were attached to their motels and were owned by the chain. Are there any original Howard Johnson Restaurants left?

Second: We'd also eat at the restaurant located in a nearby Holiday Inn. If I'm not mistaken, the Holiday Inn chain also ran its dining rooms. These were considered more of a "fine dining" option--we had to dress up to eat there. It wasn't a coffee shop, but a very nice restaurant. Nowadays, I think "independents" own and operate the restaurants in the Holiday Inns, but I'm thinking about the time back in the mid-late '60s. Seems to me I might have seen a cookbook or something featuring recipes from Holiday Inn's Dining Room in an antique shop once. Anybody remember "fine dining" at Holiday Inn a long time ago?

Third: Are there any department store restaurants or tea rooms left anymore (not cafeteria style or buffet, but full service places)? I know about the Walnut Room at Marshall Field's in Chicago, but have the mall "food courts" displaced these little oases? Just curious.
Baby Linux
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/10/03 17:40:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Brooks Alba

KimChee43 [et al],
P.S. A "long gone" question of my own [directed to SoCal (esp. Inland Empire) folks]: does ANYONE remember the Carl's Jr. offshoot "Taco de Carlos"? There was one in Loma Linda, just south of the San Bernardino freeway [I-10] - and not far from a vegetarian fast food joint [whose name escapes me] that appealed to local Seventh-Day Adventists. I don't remember seeing the modified Star - w/ sombrero? - anywhere else. I think I only went there once, out of curiosity, in the late '70s.

yes, I remember Taco de Carlos .. I worked at the one in Fountain Valley, CA when I was a kid 1977-78. I miss Them! I do believe they eventually turned into Green Burrito. I also worked at Naugles which was Yummy!! and my spouse worked at Pup n Taco which also died an untimely death
saps
  • Total Posts : 1560
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/10/07 12:25:35 (permalink)
kland01s and kimchee43:

The Cock Robin (Wheaton) sign is still up but it hasn't been a Cock Robin for several years. It is a place called Shane's Deli, which is worth going to, since all that they use there is Boar's Head Meats (they do, however, still have Peterson's Ice Cream there). You can also purchase Boar's Head meat by the pound there.

As far as the Cock Robin in Naperville, it was sold for a decent price to make way for part of the Riverwalk Construction project in Naperville.

John
Wingster
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 45
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/10/07 14:33:01 (permalink)
I had to join in when someone mentioned the fabled Pup n' Taco. As a kid, I grew up with my dad telling mythical tales about the "good old days" when he could take my mom out to the Pup and buy dinner for just a few bucks. Not surprisingly, she remembers those days as well, just maybe not as the "good old ones" . . . Honestly, I almost thought he made that place up, but since it's been mentioned on this forum I can now see he is just a man in mourning for his favorite food spot.
Baby Linux
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/10/07 19:58:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Wingster

I had to join in when someone mentioned the fabled Pup n' Taco. As a kid, I grew up with my dad telling mythical tales about the "good old days" when he could take my mom out to the Pup and buy dinner for just a few bucks.

Dad was right

Billfish
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 397
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/10/08 01:35:17 (permalink)
Combining a reply to a couple of posts.Howdy Beefburger was a phenomenon in the mid-60s which was only in Eastern Mass. as I recall.It was owned or backed by legendary sportscaster Curt Gowdy,who I think had a buffalo ranch in the area.Gowdy later went on to start radio station WCGY in Lawrence,originally a country station and shortly thereafter one of the first (and best) "Classic Rock" stations.Later sold to one of the big radio outfits as have been all the decent local independents.
We had a Po Folks in Anne Arundel County,Maryland.It was like Cracker Barrel only with a better sense of humor,bigger portions and tastier food.And no ripoff "country store" attached,though I recall they did have a selection of souvenirs like corncob pipes and mini-moonshine jugs.

sonoma66
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/10/23 08:04:40 (permalink)
While I was working for Burger Chef in the Virginia Beach area (circa 1967/68) the owners started their own local chain of roast beef drive ins called "London Ltd.". I wen toff into the Navy shortly after that and never got back to Virginia Beach. Does anyone remember that chain? Did it last or fold in a few months? I also remember the Powerhouse from Ameche's in Glen Burnie Md. I still occasionally put some thousand island on my burger to remind me of the old Powerhouse. We also had a Po Folks in Mesa Arizona. I think it last about a month or two. I never went in there. I have been to the Shakeys in San Jose. Not as good as the one I remember from Pearl City Hawaii. We also used to have Godfathers in the Phoenix Arizona area. Now there are only a couple of them left. If you are ever up in the Bar Harbor area and want a soft serve cone, stop in to a place called Blueberry Hill, just on the top of the hill as you are leaving Ellsworth. You get a giant cone with sprinkles (jimmies) for about $1.35.
rbpalmer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 469
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/10/23 12:26:45 (permalink)
There was also, for a short time, a Po' Folks in Langley Park, MD, which is just outside of Washington, DC.

Also, does anyone out there remember Chicken George's, a fried chicken franchise that was named for the character in the TV mini-series "Roots," and that started up after the broadcast of that series in the late '70s? I always thought that their food was better than KFC's or Popeye's, and I was sorry to see them go under. I felt that their chicken was better-seasoned, and they were the first fried chicken franchise that I am aware of that served southern-style greens. Also, instead of french fries, they served well-seasoned potato wedges, which I also liked.

There were several in the Washington, D.C. area. Does anyone know about any other locations, or why they went out of business?
peppertree
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 302
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/10/23 16:58:52 (permalink)
I remember in the seventies on Coral Way in Miami to the east of Douglas Road, there were three restaurants in a row.

Kentucky Fried Chicken

Kentucky Beef

Chicken George.
dendan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 479
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/11/06 08:44:42 (permalink)
My Grandfather started a small chain, 2 sites, in Allentown, PA calledSTOP and GO in the late 50's. Hamburger place prior to the plethora of McD's all over the place. Anyone remember it?
mb848
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/11/06 11:16:26 (permalink)
Does anyone from Massachusetts or the east coast have any recollection or memories of Neba Roast Beef? I believe it was a fast food chain from the 1960's specializing in roast beef. What happened to it? There is still an original building standing in Quincy, MA that once housed a Neba's. Very funky 60's modern architecture. It is now a pet shop. Hope to rekindle some memories!
peppertree
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 302
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/11/06 19:21:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mb848

Does anyone from Massachusetts or the east coast have any recollection or memories of Neba Roast Beef? I believe it was a fast food chain from the 1960's specializing in roast beef. What happened to it? There is still an original building standing in Quincy, MA that once housed a Neba's. Very funky 60's modern architecture. It is now a pet shop. Hope to rekindle some memories!

I remember Neba from Miami as well.
I have a WFUN Neba sticker. I collect radio stuff.
Edwaste
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 168
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/11/16 01:48:44 (permalink)
ellen4441 you sound like a Jersey person. Have you ever been to Stewarts on route 9 in Tuckerton NJ?

Every time on my way down (or back) to Wildwood I would stop at Stewarts. I believe it was once part of a chain, now an orphan. Still has car hop service. Good burgers. Still serves sodas in big thick glass frosty mugs.

The chain I really miss was Big Topp Shoppes. Absolutely the best burgers. Charred over a real charcoal flame, with that wonderful smokey juicy taste. There was one on Route 1 in Westport CT and another off the Merrit Parkway on the Amity/New Haven CT area.
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/11/16 05:49:59 (permalink)
Anyone remember Zum Zum's for German food in New York City? In 1969, there were 3 of these lunch-type eateries spread about Manhattan; I lunched at the lower Broadway location once or twice weekly. They are remembered fondly for their selection of delicious German sausages and excellent hot potato salad. I can't remember if they were open in the evening. Certainly the one in the Financial District would not have stayed open after the lunch trade.

JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: Long Gone Regional Chains 2003/11/20 13:05:27 (permalink)
Does anyone know what’s happening with Uncle Bud’s catfish and chicken restaurants?

The one here in Lexington disappeared over 3 years ago, surprising a lot of people who thought it was doing decent business. Around that time, I noticed that one west of Knoxville was still in business.

In a half dozen visits, I only had the catfish, which was fresh and quite good. I usually asked that my fish be fried a bit crispier than was normal for them.
Everyone always said the fried chicken was terrific, but unfortunately I always postponed trying it. It did look great.

I thought they did their basic thing pretty well—AYCE catfish, AYCE Fried Chicken and AYCE catfish and fried chicken. I never ordered anything else there, such as a fried oyster dinner.

I enjoyed Uncle Bud’s every few months, when some friends and I were hungry for a fish fry. We liked the Cajun seasoned catfish, slaw, hush puppies and sweet tea. They also served fries, white beans and pickles and onions with this. Uncle Bud’s thought they knew how to make canned white beans palatable, but no one I knew thought so.

Just as soon as the AYCE order was taken, staff would bring out bowls of hot white northern beans, the slaw, a basket of hush puppies, and the onions and pickles. They liked to get everything to the table long before the fish or chicken arrived, so folks would fill up a bit. Or so we believed. We always refused the white beans, and had them bring everything else with the fish or chicken.

I remember they charged a quite hefty price for their AYCE offerings. That may have been their undoing here.

In 1985, I twice visited the original Uncle Bud’s on the road from Nashville to Franklin, Tennessee. It was in a big rambling barn of a building, and I thought it a pretty pedestrian place. You couldn’t get lemon for the fish and their tartar sauce was a cheap, bad tasting variety in little individual plastic things. They served whole fried catfish and catfish steaks (or whatever one calls that way of cutting and serving the fish), but not fillets. Neither suited my companion or me.

In my opinion, the chain born out of the original place was a huge improvement over the Franklin Road experience and only served farm-raised catfish fillets.

In a Web search, I could not find any current links to the company or its stores. Has Uncle Bud’s bitten the dust?

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 34
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1