Hot!Long Island , NY

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 13
Author
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
RE: Long Island , NY 2007/04/10 07:33:17 (permalink)
I think there was an Al Dowd's Steak house in Centerport, and the place on the hill as you headed west out of Cold Spring HArbor, which was Dowd's Beefalo. I have no idea how or if they were related, but there were two different places with the "Dowd" name in them.
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3987
RE: Long Island , NY 2007/04/11 10:56:26 (permalink)
Re: Al Dowd's

Al Dowd, if I am not mistaken, was a member (in-law) of the Manero Steak House people. He opened the Steak House in Centerport on the south side of 25A on what I referred to as Restaurant Row. Going east from Huntington in a distance of about a mile (plus or minus a yard or two) there was Linck's Log Cabin, another place I can not remember the name of, then Geidi's, Dowd's, The Mill Pond Inn, The Bella Vista, and the Thatched Cottage.

The menu at Al Dowd's was the same as Manero's. Great steaks, garlic bread and salad with gorgonzola cheese---plus great big Manhattans and Martinis. I took the family and friends there many times---good eating !!!!!!!!!!!!! Molto Bene Al Dowd wherever you are !!!!!! And goodnight Mrs Calabash wherever you are also !!!!
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 426
RE: Long Island , NY 2007/04/11 16:20:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by the ancient mariner

Going east from Huntington in a distance of about a mile (plus or minus a yard or two) there was Linck's Log Cabin, another place I can not remember the name of, then Geidi's, Dowd's, The Mill Pond Inn, The Bella Vista, and the Thatched Cottage.
I was in that area talking to a friend yesterday and he said Geide's became Glynn's. I wasn't sure. I ate at Geide's many, many years ago (the 50's) and I remember the name Glynn's but not where it was.
eddiemac
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: Long Island , NY 2007/05/17 00:23:31 (permalink)
Hey, Former Long Islander up in Syracuse now. Enjoying the topic. Used to live around the corner from Maureen's in Smithtown, agreed, awesome for breakfast or lunch. A cool places to check out is The Tara Inn in Port Jeff station.
It is a dive bar where you will find bikers, college kids, business people and assorted locals but they have $2.00 burgers with chips and a lobster dinner for 8 bucks w/soup, salad, and fries. It's served on styrofoam but a good meal at a cool bar.
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
RE: Long Island , NY 2007/05/18 08:43:24 (permalink)
MacTAC-----

Your friend is a little bit off. Geide's was in Centerport, up on a little hill just east of Linck;s and Glenn's was about 2 miles west on 25A in Huntington. Both excellent restaurants. Geide's had a little group that played dance music on Saturday nights, so it was a particular favorite. They were also known for their duck dinners. Geide's burned down and was replaced over the years by Ray-noor's and when they went bye-bye by (lots of bys there, by golly) a realty company. Glenn's was a Mexican place the last time I went past. As Thomas Wolfe once wrote "You can't go home again"---it is a different place now !!!!!
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
RE: Long Island , NY 2007/05/18 08:45:47 (permalink)
MacTAC-----

Your friend is a little bit off. Geide's was in Centerport, up on a little hill just east of Linck;s and Glenn's was about 2 miles west on 25A in Huntington. Both excellent restaurants. Geide's had a little group that played dance music on Saturday nights, so it was a particular favorite. They were also known for their duck dinners. Geide's burned down and was replaced over the years by Ray-noor's and when they went bye-bye by (lots of bys there, by golly) a realty company. Glenn's was a Mexican place the last time I went past. As Thomas Wolfe once wrote "You can't go home again"---it is a different place now !!!!!
Scott_R
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 127
RE: Long Island , NY 2007/08/05 18:52:12 (permalink)
Went to Ephesus Mediterranean & Turkish in Massapequa Park (Park Blvd just south of Sunrise) twice now, enjoyed it a great deal each time.
chickenwingking
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 59
RE: Long Island , NY 2007/08/14 14:08:36 (permalink)
I always enjoy Pancho's Border Grill. They have locations in Great Neck, near the train station and in Bethpage on Hempstead Turnpike. Great Tex-Mex food. I also dined at The Milleridge Inn in Jericho recently. The first time I went there I was 7 and I'm now pushing 50 with a bullet. Its still going strong, although the dinner was not too memorable, the cheesecake for dessert was delicious.
Scott_R
Cheeseburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2007/08/14 15:34:47 (permalink)
I've been to Pancho's (Bethpage) and found it to be your basic Americanized Mexican.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3983
RE: Long Island , NY 2007/08/14 16:14:15 (permalink)
Plainview Diner, Plainview. Great friend shrimp, HUGE menu, reasonably priced.
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
RE: Long Island , NY 2007/08/14 17:33:27 (permalink)
Where in Plainview Metroplex Jim ?????? I will be up that-a-way shortly.
stevengood
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Long Island , NY 2007/11/18 12:12:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by twinwillow

quote:
Originally posted by LindaW

quote:
Originally posted by twinwillow

Growing up on Long Island in the "Five Towns" during the 50's and 60's, I remember two restaurants that I loved. One was in Lynbrook. An Italian restaurant name, "Garberino's" They had the greatest "Clams Posillipo".
The other place I remember was, "Raynor's Chicken Cabin" on Sunrise Hwy. in Baldwin. They had the VERY BEST fried chicken and corn fritters!
Anyone else remember these two places?

hi Twinwillow....I too grew up in the 5 towns...lived on Peninsula Blvd in Hewlett...Garberino's does sound familiar...how about Lawson's Pub...or Al Steiner's in Cedarhurst......we also used to go to a french restaurant Ronnie Alpert's...I think it was in Franklin Square....our family knew the owners and staff....always had the best onion soup...not baked..but they would bring over a bowl of shredded gruyere and put some on top of soup...it would melt and get oozy all over...it is still my benchmark for all onion soups.

Hi. I remeber Al Steiners in Cedarhurst. It was across fron the LIRR train station i think. Garberino's was in a house if I remember correctly.

How did I end up here replying to your post? When I turned on the TV before I could change the channel, I caught the opening of the movie "Married to the mob" it was shot in Cedarhurst at the train station, and in the back ground was Al Steiners. I grew up in Lawrence and went to Al Steiners often. I miss the five town and NYC area. I also did some web searching, it looks like he sold the place in 1981 and found Al Steiner passed on last year http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9902EFD81030F932A35752C0A9609C8B63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=print
BlueMax372
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Long Island , NY 2007/12/29 11:52:29 (permalink)
Pumpernickle's Restaurant on Route 25A in Northport is outstanding for their naturschnitzel and everything else. I recommend starting with an appetizer of escargot and finishing with an amaretto on the rocks (maybe 2?).
Also, in nearby downtown Huntington, on New York Avenue (Route 110) just north of Main Street (25A), for more down-to-earth fare, Canterbury Ales is a real treat.
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
RE: Long Island , NY 2007/12/29 15:05:58 (permalink)
Yo Blue Max--------I saw your movie with Peppard --good flick

I went to Pumpernickel in the 90s and liked it a lot------as a matter of fact one of the ladies who acted as hostess was a friend. Ah Yes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But as for Canterbury Ales ---I loved their burgers and the whole atmosphere. A real pub !!!!
Next door was my barber and shoe maker and across the street was the book store that I used to give a hard time to. And next to them was Pancho Villa's Irish Pub. Only kidding, it was Mexican.

And a very happy and healthy New years to y'all.
klk727
Junior Burger
RE: Long Island , NY 2008/01/14 13:51:37 (permalink)
Grew up in Flushing and then Franklin Square LI. Trying to remember, as a kid we used to go to this beach and I think it was in Freeport (1960's-early). It had a small restaurant with the best clam chowder. I thought it was called Beau Rivage. Does anyone remember anything about this place?
markpapo
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Long Island , NY 2008/01/19 10:58:12 (permalink)
does anyone remember the charcoal chef in merrick on sunrise highway
markpapo
Junior Burger
RE: Long Island , NY 2008/01/19 11:06:45 (permalink)
the texas ranger in island park was right near the giant nathans. and it had better hot dogs imo. does anyone go far enough back to remember that nathan's before it had a roof
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
RE: Long Island , NY 2008/01/19 13:08:48 (permalink)
Markpapo I remember it when it was the Oceanside Rest on the way to Long Beach. That was before it was Nathan's and there was no Texas Ranger either. Best hot dogs for miles and miles. Everyone who had a car back then stopped there. Plus,,,,,,,,
There was a jute box and dancing to Glenn Miller and the Boys and all the other big bands-

--anybody want to Lindy ?????
markpapo
Junior Burger
RE: Long Island , NY 2008/01/20 11:07:59 (permalink)
now I know why you go by ancient. i lived in long beach in the very early sixties a block from the boardwlk where i learned to ride a bike.I,m still great at skillball. nathan's roadside rest texas ranger and peter's clam bar were popular excursions. there was a great bakery in long beach but i can't remember the name.
mikez629
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 307
RE: Long Island , NY 2008/01/23 17:21:52 (permalink)
Scotto's Itailian pork store in Hampton Bays Long Island-great sausage and peppers
LQ1962
Junior Burger
RE: Long Island , NY 2008/03/30 08:43:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by William Floyd

I spotted this forum and wondered if anyone would remember two places that I recall from childhood. First was the West End Tavern that sat on the triangle formed by Hempstead Turnpike and Front Street in Hempstead. The other was The Midway that stood on Franklin Avenue just north of where Corona Avenue hits Franklin in Franklin Square. These memories must be at least 45 or more years old. Thanks.

Yes! I remember the West End Tavern very well! I lived in West Hempstead and my sister worked in Hempstead. Me and my mother would pick up my sister every night. Wetson's wasn't far from it either.
swirsk53
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: Long Island , NY 2008/04/06 20:13:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Stewdude

The best news about Long Island deli in recent years is the reemergence of PAstrami King on Merrick Road in Merrick. The original Queens location closed several years ago much to the chagrin of us Queens courthouse regulars. The new Pastrami King is quite good (much better pastrami than available at the various Ben's deli locations) though not quite as good as the original but awfully darn close. Its my favorite stop for takealong food before heading out to Shea for a Mets game.

How do I find Pastrami King? Where on Merrick Road? Cross streets? address? website? Most importantly, DO THEY STILL MAKE THEIR OWN PASTRAMI?

When I was in high school and college,my mother worked across Queens Blvd in the Court House in the Borough Hall bulding and Pastrami King was the perfect lunch to lure me over. I think that they actaully opened a "sister restaurant" in Manhattan at one point called Pastrami Queen ( as in Queens?) on the upper east side but I never made it to that spot.

I can't tell you how many times I have driven slowly along Queens Blvd, hoping to find them having opened shop in a new spot. All I get to do is stop at Knish-Knosh, have one for the car and get a few dozen of the miniatures for my freezer.
Scott_R
Cheeseburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2008/04/06 20:23:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by swirsk53
How do I find Pastrami King? Where on Merrick Road? Cross streets? address? website? Most importantly, DO THEY STILL MAKE THEIR OWN PASTRAMI?

Google, dude?

http://www.thebusinessneighborhood.com/sitecreator1/pastramiking/
swirsk53
Hamburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2008/04/06 20:26:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lcc50s

quote:
Originally posted by Scottow

Does anyone remember Hamburger Choo Choo on Main Street in Huntington? You HAD to sit at the counter because your burger would be delivered to you by train atop a flatcar! Also, does anyone recall the name of the restaurant in Cold Spring Harbor near The Moorings, that was done up like CAVES? This would be around 1960 or so. I lived there through 1970 and it was long gone before then. I can't for the life of me remember the name. Oh, and I loved Linck's Log Cabin as a kid! A classmate of mine at Cold Spring Harbor - Linda Meyers - told me her parents owned it. And Hilldebrant's on Hillside Avenue in Williston Park (where I lived till '56) was a favorite, too. Ah, the memories!
I remember Hamburger choo choo very well...I believe the "cave" restaurant you are thinking of was Neptune's Cave..I went there many times as a kid with my family..then to the fish hatchery afterward..Lincks was always a Sunday spot with family..as Mei Ting in Huntington..The little Shack in Centerport for outdoor eating~ Great Times~ Miss the "good Old Days" of Long Island (although I am still here~ born and raised in Northport.

There were a few other Hamburger Choo Choo type restaurants, separately owned I think. On Union Turnpike in Glen Oaks ( near the Garden Bakery, great cakes and breads) and one in Forest Hills on Queens Blvd, not that far past Alexanders/63rd Road, on the opposite side of the blvd. Brought together my love of not auite fast food ( if the train went to fast, the food would have fallen off the plates on the flat cars that served counter guests), and model trains. I remember the Lackawanna and Jersey Central Trainmaster diesels, Lionel's most powerful diesels in the '50s, that pulled the trains, plus the black and white photo murals on the walls in forst Hills.
My ultimate treat if I was good. I also remember good chocolte malteds, with the metal container holding the rest for you to pour yourself and refill your glass,

I think that Classic Toy Trains actually did an article a few years back on these as a national phenomenon in the '50s. Of course they could not resist the coming McDonaldization of the world. I would love to see a menu, to see what they cost in the day and if they served anything else.
swirsk53
Hamburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2008/04/06 20:30:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by hagster

Hi MacTAC,

Yep, that was a Wetson's. There was one in Merrick too, on Merrick Road. Remember getting a gigantic bag of around a dozen burgers, and a half dozen bags of fries? I believe the burgers were something like 15-20 cents apiece.

I was riding in a car myself, with my cousins, when I first heard the Beatles, I think it was 'She Loves You'. Knocked me out. I eventually became a musician and the Beatles were a big reason why. Funny how we remember this stuff.

There's a place which is almost an institution on the south shore, in Massapequa, called the All American Hamburger stand. Remember that one? It has to have been there for the last 35 years or so.

Former Wetson's buildings are still around, one is on Northern Blvd in Manhasset as part of a car dealership. Spotted another in Bayport this past summer right near where the LIRR stops. The angle of the slope in their roofs makes them distinguishable, to those who remember, from old Carvels, and McD's.
swirsk53
Hamburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2008/04/06 20:32:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scott_R

quote:

Google, dude?

swirsk53
Hamburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2008/04/06 20:38:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scott_R

quote:

Google, dude?

Wow, the iternet, what a concept. The scariest thing about the Patrami King website is that view of the dining room. Not oen table shows any mustard or a bottle of Heinz ( for the fries).
swirsk53
Hamburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2008/04/06 20:42:31 (permalink)
Two current recommendations, neither road food in budget.
The Coach, in Oyster Bay, good bar and food in a very comfortable setting. It is the descendant of the Viennese Coach, which my father in law tells me was a major LI destination in the Syosset-Oyster Bay part of the world in the 40s and 50s.

The other is Rothmann's on 25A. Very expesnive but very good steak and prime rib. Probably belongs on the steak forum.
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 426
RE: Long Island , NY 2008/04/06 20:46:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by swirsk53The angle of the slope in their roofs makes them distinguishable, to those who remember, from old Carvels, and McD's.
http://oldstatenisland.tripod.com/Wetson's.jpg
swirsk53
Hamburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2008/04/06 21:00:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MacTAC

quote:
Originally posted by swirsk53The angle of the slope in their roofs makes them distinguishable, to those who remember, from old Carvels, and McD's.
http://oldstatenisland.tripod.com/Wetson's.jpg
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 13
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1