Hot!Long Island , NY

Page: << < ..111213 > Showing page 12 of 13
Author
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4541
RE: Long Island , NY 2010/08/05 20:41:42 (permalink)
MacTAC

joerogo

I love Zorn's in Bethpage.  A little hard to get to if you are heading East on the Hempstead, or HempHead as we out of towners call it. 

Just take the entrance for 135 North, immediately exit and turn into their parking lot. Much better than going further east and making a u turn.

MacTAC ,

Thanks for the info.  Worked like a charm!

$6.49 for 1/4 dark meat, two sides and a lemonade.  Excellent food, great deal.  I also brought home a couple potato knishes, just $1.50 each, and again, excellent!

MacTAC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 429
RE: Long Island , NY 2010/08/05 21:15:38 (permalink)
joerogo

Thanks for the info.  Worked like a charm!

$6.49 for 1/4 dark meat, two sides and a lemonade.  Excellent food, great deal.  I also brought home a couple potato knishes, just $1.50 each, and again, excellent!

Good to hear, joerogo, and the food was good, too!

Reminds me to do a Sunday take home soon...

the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3987
RE: Long Island , NY 2010/08/06 08:15:39 (permalink)
Hey Joe, I see you know where the good food is----but, what are you some kinda nut, drivin' all the way from Pa to get a little lunch ?  And taking home knishes to show the folks out west what good food is like.  I don't know if your allowed to take knishes out of NY. 

Last year you did the (or was that 2 years ago) Brooklyn scene--and found all those great Italian places----now you've moved out east ---
to get the stuff right off the farm.

Joe, seriously---Zorn's has been a favorite of ours for years.  But you have to try Syosset's "Diner Row" ------3 great diners on a 2 mile stretch of Jericho Tpke. 

Then make a right heading toward the LI Expressway and stop at Meyer's Farm Stand and get some real vegetables picked while you
wait.  Manga, manga.  -----Zio 
post edited by the ancient mariner - 2010/08/06 08:17:02
joerogo
Filet Mignon
RE: Long Island , NY 2010/08/06 09:39:51 (permalink)
the ancient mariner

Hey Joe, I see you know where the good food is----but, what are you some kinda nut, drivin' all the way from Pa to get a little lunch ?  And taking home knishes to show the folks out west what good food is like.  I don't know if your allowed to take knishes out of NY. 

Last year you did the (or was that 2 years ago) Brooklyn scene--and found all those great Italian places----now you've moved out east ---
to get the stuff right off the farm.

Joe, seriously---Zorn's has been a favorite of ours for years.  But you have to try Syosset's "Diner Row" ------3 great diners on a 2 mile stretch of Jericho Tpke. 

Then make a right heading toward the LI Expressway and stop at Meyer's Farm Stand and get some real vegetables picked while you
wait.  Manga, manga.  -----Zio 

Zio!  I thought that Port Authority Cop at the Throgs Neck was lookin at them knishes kinda funny.  I guess I had an honest face

Whenever I'm working in the "high rent district" of Westbury, I usually end up at Zorn's.  Great food and extremely friendly people.  Sorta explains their 70 years in business.

I will have to venture over to Syosset.  So far I have not been overly impressed with the diners I visited.

In Pittston, we don't buy no stinkin vegetables.  You have to grow them yourself, it's the law.  My Ga-Ghootz are as big as my head!  And that's pretty darn big

Giuseppe

the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
RE: Long Island , NY 2010/08/06 10:46:41 (permalink)
My next door neighbor in Huntington was from-a the other side and he grew ga-ghootz juat about 10 feet from my house---I'd wake up every morning all late summer and fall with his goo-ghootz hanging right outside my bedroom window.  Mamma Mia those were some ga-shootzes.

If you decide to go to Syosset I will google you a map with all the shortcuts. 
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2010/08/06 16:01:19 (permalink)
the ancient marinerBut you have to try Syosset's "Diner Row" ------3 great diners on a 2 mile stretch of Jericho Tpke. 

Then make a right heading toward the LI Expressway and stop at Meyer's Farm Stand and get some real vegetables picked while you wait.  

I think the best diner in that area is On Parade. It's actually in Woodbury (just north of Meyer's), but I think maybe one of the three you mentioned? Actually a lot of good eating in the area.

Across the street is Dugan's Sandwich Shop which is good. They have a lot of old photos and memorabilia including an old Coke machine. Unfortunately it doesn't dispense. For that you can go to Tek Serve on 23rd Street in NYC, an Apple Computer repair and sales store. Ice cold 8 oz. Cokes for 10 cents, sometimes free. Mmm...

the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
RE: Long Island , NY 2010/08/06 18:57:06 (permalink)

On Parade was my favorite, but I had forgotten the name. 
Right next to a Funeral Home----mourners as well as Roadfooders welcome.

Joe----are you listening---On Parade and then south to Meyer's farm. 
Ya can't miss them.

Dugan's is in a shopping center that was once a farm also.  Van Sise I think.
There also was a bowling alley where the super market is.  

On the corner of Jackson and Jericho in Syosset was a petting zoo.  Actually that whole area was pretty wide open. 

Also had one of the best restaurants on LI ---The Viennese Coach----where Office Depot was the last time I was out there. 
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2010/08/06 20:13:28 (permalink)
the ancient mariner

On the corner of Jackson and Jericho in Syosset was a petting zoo.   

Also had one of the best restaurants on LI ---The Viennese Coach  

Lollipop Farm is a wonderful memory...

http://syossetscrapbook.f...ers.com/LOLLYTRAIN.JPG

http://syossetscrapbook.f...com/VienneseCoach1.jpg

Mr. Ancient Mariner, do you remember this place? If you do, you're the only one besides my brother and I remembering our Dad enjoying his beer and us enjoying our cokes, hamburgers and the jukebox...

http://syossetscrapbook.f...rs.com/HarmonyRest.jpg

These are all from this website which I have a sneaking suspicion you might enjoy ;-)

http://syossetscrapbook.f...m/SCRAPBOOK.HTML 

post edited by MacTAC - 2010/08/06 20:20:25
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2010/08/06 20:24:42 (permalink)
MacTAC

These are all from this website which I have a sneaking suspicion you might enjoy ;-)

http://syossetscrapbook.f...m/SCRAPBOOK.HTML 

For some reason the link messes up when I copied and posted. Even after editing and trying again.

After you click on it and get that message, just go to the address bar, delete all characters after HTML and hit enter. That seems to go to the right place...

the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
RE: Long Island , NY 2010/08/07 09:12:26 (permalink)
Mac----------I got it and loved it.  I don't remember some of the stuff from the 1800's but then my memory ain't what it used to be ---just like the old gray mare.

Actually I moved to Huntington , on the Cold Spring border in 1954 so anything before that is not part of my notorious past.  But, certain things stand out like the old sore thumb. 

Thank you very much, I have spent a very mind shaking (trying to get it to work) hour this quiet Saturday morning reminising.  I will go back and check out more
after I find out if the world is still going around outside.

I could tell you stories, but they would not mean anything to anyone but me-----

Thanks again. TAM

kozel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 837
RE: Long Island , NY 2011/01/29 10:09:32 (permalink)
Scott_R

I was recently distressed to discover that Chaophaya Thai Restaurant in Lindenhurst closed. It was one of my favorite restaurants. I loved the peanut-dressing they put on their salads, loved their soup, and just rotated through the menu--I hated to miss things. They made this *wonderful* "Incendiary Chicken*, which was a whole Cornish game hen on a vertical skewer with vegetables in a chile sauce around it. This was one of those places where you'd use a spoon to eat the sauce that was left.

Other places:
Classic American (North Babylon?); very good fish and chips.

Hey Scott:

Classic American was featured on Kitchen Nightmares with Gordon Ramsay last night.  Been there lately?
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
RE: Long Island , NY 2011/01/29 10:21:50 (permalink)
I have not been there in quite a while. It was good, then they changed the look and menu, and it wasn't anything special. 

You can see it online here...
http://www.fox.com/kitchennightmares/full-episodes
Scott_R
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 127
RE: Long Island , NY 2011/01/29 11:45:33 (permalink)
kozel
Hey Scott:
Classic American was featured on Kitchen Nightmares with Gordon Ramsay last night.  Been there lately?

I've been there twice since Ramsay's visit, and once a month or two before.

In a very general sense, I am again bemused by how disconnected "reality TV' is from reality. It wasn't as utterly silly as last year's visits to Peter's Pasta in Babylon or The Mixing Bowl in Bellmore--and I have plenty of stories about those--but there was enough fakery. There's some insider info that I can't share, but suffice it to say that the food wasn't nearly as bad as Ramsay let on (yes, I'm explicitly stating that Ramsay overdramatized things). I hadn't been to Classic American as much in recent years as in the past, but that was mainly due to a change in my own circumstances and not in their food. I used to stop by there with a friend from time to time several years back. He was a fish and chips fan, and every couple of months would have to fly to England, staying near Oxford. He said that the fish and chips at CA were every bit as good as what he'd had over there.

So, how's the food now? I enjoyed it. I missed some of the items from the old menu which, for all intents and purposes, doesn't exist anymore. The new menu definitely has that celebrity chef feel, with unnecessarily complicated flourishes (why must all sandwiches have cheese on them now?) --and I in no way prefer plain, simple items, but I think there can be a real elegance in quality ingredients prepared well and those flavors highlighted, not hidden.

Most recently I had the smoked half chicken, which was moist and had a very nice smokiness, but too salted for my taste (my palate simply prefers less salt than the average).

When I'd heard he was going there, I'd been certain he would pare down the menu--that seems to be SOP for him on this show. I didn't count on how much he'd gut the menu, which you can see here.

Side note: when I'd gone there right after his visit, I saw that they'd added blackboard specials (using that erasable blackboard paint on a wall). Compulsive editor that I am, I pointed out several misspellings. It wasn't until I saw the show that I realized it was Ramsay's team that had made those multiple misspelling.
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2011/01/29 13:45:51 (permalink)
Thanks for the update. 
demonkatz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Long Island , NY 2011/02/13 18:51:27 (permalink)
If anyone has any stories about The Big Bow Wow in Massapequa, I'd be really happy to read them. My grandfather, who is no longer with us, owned it and I have fond memories of playing there as a little girl while my parents worked there. My grandfather loved food and really put his heart into that place. Thanks very much!
markpapo
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Long Island , NY 2011/02/13 22:28:57 (permalink)
i lived in bellmore until 1973.....big bow wow i remembered as being on sunrise highway...we would take long bike rides on our stigway bikes to big bow wow(great burgers)..nunleys in baldwin....ans sandy's drive in in wantagh
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2011/02/14 16:54:44 (permalink)
markpapo

....ans sandy's drive in in wantagh
Where was Sandy's Drive In, Mark? Or Mr. The Ancient Mariner :-)

the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
RE: Long Island , NY 2011/02/14 18:28:11 (permalink)
I never heard of Sandy's Drive In,  MacTac.  But Mark says it is, or was, in Wantagh.  I lived most of my life on the exclusive, high-class North Shore.  When we crossed Hempstead Turnpike heading south we were in no man's land.  And since Wantagh is south of the great divide I never heard of Sandy's.
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2011/02/14 21:12:08 (permalink)
the ancient mariner

When we crossed Hempstead Turnpike heading south we were in no man's land. 
Hmm. Gil Clarks, Barnacle Bill's, The Sunrise Village, Guy Lombardo's, Oceanside Rest. I'm getting suspicious here. Do you need an alibi, TAM?

That reminds me, remember Frank's Alibi on Old Country Road in Hicksville? Coming back to the 21st century, last night I hit All American just before closing for a Double Double and fries. Very satisfying.

demonkatz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Long Island , NY 2011/02/14 21:49:37 (permalink)
Thanks, @Markpapo! Yes, The Bow Wow was on Sunrise Highway, and if you rode your bike from Bellmore, I envy you. My mom would have had a fit if I rode my bike that far. Which is ironic as I don't ever remember her buckling my seat belt once in the family car.
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
RE: Long Island , NY 2011/02/15 08:33:38 (permalink)
Demonkatz----you probably couldn't buckle what wasn't there.  My first seat belted car was a 63 VW Bug.  And it saved my life. 
markpapo
Junior Burger
RE: Long Island , NY 2011/02/15 10:07:51 (permalink)
sandy's drive in was located at the corner of merrick road and wantagh ave...near the entrance to the parkway that took you to jones beach...it had burgers(pizza burger was my favorite) and zeppolas...and by the way i didn't know that long island extended north of roosevelt field
markpapo
Junior Burger
RE: Long Island , NY 2011/02/15 10:10:17 (permalink)
my mother didn't know what we did in those days as long as i was home for dinner...it was a long ride...besides summer days were very long
NedN
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Long Island , NY 2011/03/19 22:58:09 (permalink)
How about these fine 60s LI establishments that I did not see mentioned?
  • McCluskey's for their porterhouse.  Line out the door every Sunday.
  • Dick and Doras of Massapequa with the original owner Helen and her husband.  Can picture him but forget his name.  He used to fly small planes and had heard he died in an airplane fire.  Had been open for years under the woman that bought it from Helen, but they sold it ~ 3 years ago, heard it went really down hill, and the town knocked the building down.
  • Kuong Ming still there.  Loved the pu pu platter.
  • Supreme Pizza, Bar Harbor Shopping Center 20 cents a slice!  It was a big deal when it went up to 25!
  • North Shore Steak House, Great Neck
  • Yes the BigBowWow (was mentioned) of Massapequa.  Burgers with fried onions and great fries.  Garage doors. Delicious!

post edited by NedN - 2011/03/23 10:09:14
joerogo
Filet Mignon
RE: Long Island , NY 2011/03/20 08:44:11 (permalink)
I had some great Long Island Italian Food last week at Mamma Lombardi's.

Mamma Lombardi’s Special Zuppa Di Pesce, clams, lobster tail, shrimp, mussels, scungilli, calamari served with linguine alla marinara & salad (hot or mild) ......26.95

This meal was huge!  Delicious......and HUGE!  Just to give you an idea of how huge, that side of pasta in the picture is a regular size plate.  For $26.95?  I told the waiter to tell Mamma she just lost 20 bucks on this meal  That's a whole lobster on top with all seafood underneath.  And a whole head of garlic

I forgot where my Zio(The Ancient Mariner) posted about an Italian Restaurant on Long Island.  I believe he posted because the woman who runs the place was like 90 years old.  I forgot to bookmark the place.  Zio?  Anybody?
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2011/03/20 11:14:27 (permalink)
Try this   http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=636431
post edited by kozel - 2011/03/20 11:24:37
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
RE: Long Island , NY 2011/03/20 12:00:56 (permalink)
Hey Joey, Baby----how could-ya forget Stango's ?
You can't miss it cause ya get to the top of the hill and the first thing you see is a fig tree with tar paper wrapped around it.  Your home, baby---your in the Orchard. 

Mama Lombardi's was a little pizza joint last time I was there, they added and aded and Mamma Mia it's preitty  big now.
My brother lives about 1/2 mile away and on a clear day you can smell the garlic cookin' away.  Smells llike we was back in Brooklyn. 

When we were kids Holbrook (where Mama Lombardi's is) had one gas station. Bello's chicken farm, and a 2 room school house..  And back then no one in that town knew what a lobster was. 

joerogo
Filet Mignon
RE: Long Island , NY 2011/03/20 14:23:31 (permalink)
kozel, Thanks for the link!

the ancient mariner, I think I was havin a senior moment!  I have Stango's in the cross hairs now(can I say the on RF).  I just didn't feel like driving around looking for fig trees  

I don't know how Mamma delivers so much food for the price.  I felt bad because I didn't even touch the pasta, and even left some seafood on my plate  But it was delicious.  I call it typical Long Island Italian.  Huge portions and tons of garlic.  

Mamma has built quite an empire on LI...http://www.mammalombardis.com/MammaLombardis/links.cfm

kozel
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2011/03/22 15:58:02 (permalink)
Ancient, does this link bring back any memories?

http://nycshore.blogspot....y-boardwalk-bites.html
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
RE: Long Island , NY 2011/03/22 20:20:18 (permalink)
Yes Sir Mr Kozel---those were the days.  We lived just off Beach 19th St in Far Rockaway from '34/40 and I rode my Sears Roebuck balloon tired 2 wheeler the 5 mile length of the boardwalk from Bch 19th St to Bch 116th or thereabouts  It was lovely back then.  I went to the Park Inn Baths on 116th St for swimming lessons given by Jackie Hayes a member of the 1932 Olympic Swimming Team. 

We went to Coney Island and Riis Park often when we lived in Brooklyn.
Amazing thing we never got skin cancer even though we sat in the sun all day.  That one shot, from the air, of Coney on a hot Sunday afternoon is amazing.  I remember dragging stuff while my parents looked for a spot to settle down. 

Page: << < ..111213 > Showing page 12 of 13
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1