The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Long Island , NY

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 2 of 13, messages 31 to 60 of 380
the ancient mariner

• Total Posts: 3987
RE: Long Island , NY Sat, 07/17/04 11:31 AM (permalink)
kozel ---- nope it was not Carl Hopple's which was on Sunrise Hgy in Baldwin, and I forgot about Glen Cove Road being the new name--all those hens of that name need alias' I guess. Al Dowd's was a good steak house, ate there many times. Great garlic bread and Manhattans. I think Dowd was related (son-in-law) or something to Manero's Steak House. I used to stop at The Shack back in the 50's and 60's -- they had good hot dogs and burgers then. Raynor's is good chicken, man. They tried to expand to Centerport. Moved in right next to Al Dowd's old place, but had to give it up. McCarthys ( may be wrong Irish name ) Steak House in Rockville Center area was good too. In Amityville there was Barnicle Bill's which had great fish chowder, also a great Italian Restaurant named Americo's or something.

kozel

• Total Posts: 810
    RE: Long Island , NY Sun, 07/18/04 10:51 AM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by the ancient mariner

kozel ---- nope it was not Carl Hopple's which was on Sunrise Hgy in Baldwin

The place I'm thinking of is on the southside of Jericho east of Guniea Woods Rd and set back off the road. That was Carl Hopple's when I ate there over 30 years ago and it had a great bar, prime rib and popovers. Now it is Westbury Manor and part of the Scotto Bros emipre. I attended a wedding there about 5 years ago and it brought back memories. Here is a link and note they refer to it as Guniea Woods Rd. That sign for exit 39 on the LIE has long been changed.

http://www.scottobrothers.com/westbury.cfm?fuseaction=directions

The place in Centerport where Raynor's was is now the Centerport post office. I've been there too, but their place on Sunrise is a Long Island classic; but I've never been there. I'd hoped a parton of that place would comment.

Mariner's Inn in Nortport gone for over 20 years. Sorry.

As long as you are touting Milleridge Inn, how about the Maine Maid Inn that is nearby and their building is said to be even older?

BTW, who are you calling 'Not Under-Nourished'? Guess you're not local any more?

susanhopebell

• Total Posts: 7
      RE: Long Island , NY Sun, 07/18/04 11:49 AM (permalink)
      I remember that place on Jericho Tpk in Woodbury. It was in a Quality Inn. It's been so many restaurants. For a few years it was a Scandanavian smorgasbord. Then it was this higher echelon Chinese restaurant. I don' know what it is now.

kozel

RE: Long Island , NY Sun, 07/18/04 12:44 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by susanhopebell

I remember that place on Jericho Tpk in Woodbury. It was in a Quality Inn. It's been so many restaurants. For a few years it was a Scandanavian smorgasbord. Then it was this higher echelon Chinese restaurant. I don' know what it is now.

I know the place you are talking about. This is not Woodbury (LIE exit 44) but Westbury (LIE exit 39), about 10 miles west. I'm starting to sound like and New Jersey person, by refering to exit numbers. If you're from the Woodbury area, have you been to that BBQ stand just east (I think) of that Quality Inn on the south side of Jericho?

the ancient mariner

RE: Long Island , NY Sun, 07/18/04 1:38 PM (permalink)
          Kozel and Susanhopebell-------you are both close, but no cigar. Way back when the Northern State Parkway came to an end at Glen Cove Rd.
          (would you believe that) you were dumped onto Jericho Turnpike. A few inchs east of that intersection was a great (in my mind) restaurant. There was a gas station at the intersection and next came the place I am talking about. The last time I was out there I think it was a mexican restaurant.

There might have been a "Red" in the name. Red Roof, Red Coach-----
          something like that. A little further east is the Westbury Manor, which I have had the pleasure of visiting a few times. Further east in Jericho is indeed the Maine Maid Inn----a great restaurant, thanks for reminding me, and then still a little further east in Woodbury is the place you mentioned Susan. I think the original was named Jorgenson's and was a great smorgsborg place. Unfortunately everyone ate a few pounds of peel your own shrimp and left the pickled beets and pickled herring behind. That put poor old Jorgenson into bankrupcy. But right behind that Quality Inn is the best farm stand on Long Island---Meyer's. Try it, you'll like it. They still grow their own corn and stuff.

If you continued toward Huntington on Jericho you came to Syosset. On the northeast corner was "Lollipop Farm" a place to take the kids to touch and pet farm animals and 100 yards east of that was The Viennese Coach, a great, wonderfully run place for Austrian food. Very
          hi-class.

Talking about places to take the kids how about the fish hatchery on 25A?
          and I'll bet Jones Beach is crowded with them today.

kozel

RE: Long Island , NY Tue, 07/20/04 7:23 AM (permalink)
            Here is your place. The place is now called Papa Razzi.
            [img]c:\paparazi.jpg[/img]
            I've never eaten here and I don't what this place has been over the years. The place I thought you were referring to that I knew as Carl Hopples is 1/10th of a mile east on the same side. BTW, that gas station is now a Starbucks.

As long as we're discussing old places that don't exist any more and this is 'Roadfood'; and you bring up the fish hatchery on 25A. West of the fish hatchery on 25A in Syosset at the top of the hill just before you desend to Cold Spring Harbor there was a real 'Roadfood' place on the south side of 25A. I knew it as Wildwood rest. It's been gone about 20 years and that whole property was removed with the redesign of that intersection. And east of the fish hatchery in Cold Spring Harbor was the Moorings, a seafood place that was destroyed by fire weel over 20 year ago. Either of these ring a bell?

Anyway, let's get some Long Island places that deserve to be listed here, listed here.

Tony Bad

RE: Long Island , NY Tue, 07/20/04 8:44 AM (permalink)
              [quote
              As long as we're discussing old places that don't exist any more and this is 'Roadfood'; and you bring up the fish hatchery on 25A. West of the fish hatchery on 25A in Syosset at the top of the hill just before you descend to Cold Spring Harbor there was a real 'Roadfood' place on the south side of 25A. I knew it as Wildwood rest. It's been gone about 20 years and that whole property was removed with the redesign of that intersection. And east of the fish hatchery in Cold Spring Harbor was the Moorings, a seafood place that was destroyed by fire weel over 20 year ago. Either of these ring a bell?

Anyway, let's get some Long Island places that deserve to be listed here, listed here.

In what must have been one of its last incarnations before being closed for "progress", the place at the top of the hill had great beefalo burgers. They were oval and served on a long roll with fried onions. I am not sure, but I remember friends referring to it as Dowd's Beefalo...not sure if that was their name or the actual name. It was a neat place, with a giant stone fireplace and cold beer on tap. I had many pleasant evenings there.

Another place that may have been mentioned earlier, but I liked, was McCluskey's in Bellmore. I usually just ate the burgers there, which were quite good.

the ancient mariner

RE: Long Island , NY Tue, 07/20/04 9:34 AM (permalink)
                As long as we are on 25A on the famous Gold Coast of LI----the Wildwood served buffalo meat as well as regular beef----take your pick. Both were great. Buffalo meat drew the Harley-Davidson crowd.
                A little west of there in East Norwich was Rothmann's Steak House. Big Place with great big booths. Wonderful place. It was bought by a guy named Bert Bacharach, made his money writing songs I have been told, and because I had done work for his accountant, who lived near by, I was invited to the grand opening--------and I met a little doll with great, great legs named Angie Dickenson. She was a sweetheart.
                Going back to the Moorings in Cold Spring Harbor----right next to it was and may still be a little open clam shack. Pull your car up, jump out and before you were at the bar they had half a dozen little necks or cherrystones (ice cold, of course) open and waiting for you. And still further east was the Golden Dolphin Diner and Mundays in Huntington Village
                both still there.
                I don't live on LI anymore but my kids do I will ask them for some current recommendations.

the ancient mariner

RE: Long Island , NY Wed, 07/21/04 7:45 AM (permalink)
                  Kozel---in talking with #3 son last night he said they only know the more expensive places on LI because they don't travel around like we might have when we were younger. Dinner is almost always at home and there are so many places the kids want to go to --like McDonald's that there are few places like the one's we knew. He mentioned some good steak houses and other more expensive places ---

Pace--- at the intersection of Vet's Highway and Smithtown By-pass
                  Bryant and Cooper---- in Greenvale/Roslyn on 25A
                  Jonathans and Picolos in Huntington Village
                  H2O-----fish place in Smithtown
                  Ruoffs----best German place on the island, also in Smithtown

I will talk to #1 son and see what he has to say. Bon Appetit.

Tony Bad

RE: Long Island , NY Wed, 07/21/04 8:09 AM (permalink)
                    quote:

Kozel---in talking with #3 son last night he said they only know the more expensive places on LI because they don't travel around like we might have when we were younger. Dinner is almost always at home and there are so many places the kids want to go to --like McDonald's that there are few places like the one's we knew.

Your son needs to pass along the wisdom of eating you no doubt passed to him. My kids are small, but they like the off-beat places both near home and on the road. On a recent trip to Maine my 4 year old daughter waited 45 minutes with me for a hot dog at Flo's. I kept asking her if she minded waiting, but she said she was having fun. If I gave my kids a McNugget or McHockeyPuck burger they wouldn't eat it. There are plenty of fun, inexpensive places to eat on LI...like anywhere else, they require a little work to find.

kozel

RE: Long Island , NY Wed, 07/21/04 2:09 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      On a recent trip to Maine my 4 year old daughter waited 45 minutes with me for a hot dog at Flo's. I kept asking her if she minded waiting, but she said she was having fun. If I gave my kids a McNugget or McHockeyPuck burger they wouldn't eat it. There are plenty of fun, inexpensive places to eat on LI...like anywhere else, they require a little work to find.

You've got quite a daughter there, a real treasure. Most parents feed their kids that McCrap because they won't be disappointed. They know what they are going to get; so they won't be surprised either. I know a guy who took the whole family to Hawaii and the kids (teens and older) ate McCrap. Really sad.

I'm old enough that when I was a kid, there were no chains. On vacation my parents always sought out the 'local' places as long as dad could get a beer. My son has aquired my appreciation for food. I remember having him and 2 of his friends in Boy Scout uniforms sitting at the bar in Durgin Park having lunch. My son and I each had a dozen oysters and the other two had shrimp.

Tony Bad

RE: Long Island , NY Wed, 07/21/04 2:17 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by kozel
                        You've got quite a daughter there, a real treasure. Most parents feed their kids that McCrap because they won't be disappointed. They know what they are going to get; so they won't be surprised either. I know a guy who took the whole family to Hawaii and the kids (teens and older) ate McCrap. Really sad.

I'm old enough that when I was a kid, there were no chains. On vacation my parents always sought out the 'local' places as long as dad could get a beer. My son has aquired my appreciation for food. I remember having him and 2 of his friends in Boy Scout uniforms sitting at the bar in Durgin Park having lunch. My son and I each had a dozen oysters and the other two had shrimp.

We avoided fast food places because when I was really young, there was a place called Wetson's here in the NY area. We went there and as my Dad unwrapped his burger, found there was already a bite out of it! That was it for fast food! I understand what you say about knowing what you are getting, and have stopped at fast food places for that very reason when pressed for time. My kids do like the grilled chicken whopper at Burger King, although they won't eat the bun, just the chicken, tomato and lettuce. You paint quite a picture of your group at Durgin Park. That would have brought a big smile to my face if I saw it in person!

the ancient mariner

RE: Long Island , NY Wed, 07/21/04 4:52 PM (permalink)
                          As long as we are on the subject of kids in restaurants, fast food or otherwise, do any of you allow your kids to sit at a table and eat with a baseball cap on. I was in a real nice restaurant 2 weeks ago where a young couple sat next to us---she looked nice and sweet and clean. He had a baseball cap on during the whole meal---it annoyed me, but she didn't seem to care, so it was none of my business----no social graces in the young men of today...........

My grandkids eat 99% of their meals at home but when they go out they want MacDonald's or whatever is popular.

kozel

RE: Long Island , NY Thu, 07/22/04 6:55 AM (permalink)
                            It's not just the patrons. What really bothers me is when the wait staff start to clear plates before everyone is finished. I can not excuse such behavior in an upscale place, one that should know better. They did that to us in a Morton's in Indianapolis and my son (who was the one still eating) let them know it was rude.

Danmel

• Total Posts: 193
                              RE: Long Island , NY Fri, 07/30/04 9:37 AM (permalink)
                              I'm new and haven't figured out how to do the quotes so here goes:

The place that is now Papa-razzis was an El Torito Mexican place for a few years. I don't remember what it was before that. It's been Papa-Razzi's for at least 9 or 10 years, though.

Ancient Mariner- I think the place you're talking about for Chinese food on Jericho Tpke was Mandarin Gourmet- they relocated into Huntington Village and are at 269 New York Avenue in Huntington. I think they just got an offer for that property that they could not refuse.

In Williston Park, there are anumber of great places, not to be missed.

One is Hildebrandt's, a great old ice cream parlor/luncheonette that has been in the same location since the 1920s.THey are on HIllside Avenue, just east of Willis Avenue. They have great homemade ice cream and soda fountain stuff, but also have interesting food- great Italian, some nice salads, and more than just grilled cheese and tuna sandwiches. They also have great thin cut fries that are like potato chips- nice people too.

For Chinese food we go to Paradise Island-on Hillside Avenue - they are truly the nicest people in the world. We've been going there for almost 18 years- they alsways throw in a gratis appetizer. The food is good and inexpensive and after a few times there, you'll feel disloyal and guilty eating anywhere else.

La Parma is great too. They also have a location in Huntington- huge groaning platters of yummy Italian food served family style. They are on Wilis Avenue

There are just some foods you can't get out here an there is an overabundance of Italian and diner type food but if you look you can find some good places.

the ancient mariner

RE: Long Island , NY Fri, 07/30/04 1:16 PM (permalink)
                                I used to sneak into Hildebrandt's when no one was looking, loved their ice cream and the atmosphere. Have to give Paradise a try---I have had my eye on Paradise for many years now, ever since I turned 65. LaPalma is a great place for an Eye-tral-yon (as my uncle would say) feast. The building where they are located was one of my favorite's. The Lamplight---good food and drinks and a local Huntington favorite piano player on weekends. Nice place for special occasions. Manga !!!!!

Scott_R

• Total Posts: 127
                                  RE: Long Island , NY Mon, 11/15/04 8:42 PM (permalink)
                                  I was recently distressed to discover that Chaophaya Thai Restaurant in Lindenhurst closed. It was one of my favorite restaurants. I loved the peanut-dressing they put on their salads, loved their soup, and just rotated through the menu--I hated to miss things. They made this *wonderful* "Incendiary Chicken*, which was a whole Cornish game hen on a vertical skewer with vegetables in a chile sauce around it. This was one of those places where you'd use a spoon to eat the sauce that was left.

Other places:
                                  Classic American (North Babylon?); very good fish and chips.

Cooke's In (Huntington): Comfort/Soul/Caribbean food. Nice buffet on Wednesdays.

Sweet & Spicy Carribean (Amityville): Jamaican; curried goat, jerk chicken, cod & ackee, cowfoot, oxtail, etc.

Danmel

• Total Posts: 193
                                    RE: Long Island , NY Tue, 11/16/04 8:35 AM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by Scott_R

I was recently distressed to discover that Chaophaya Thai Restaurant in Lindenhurst closed. It was one of my favorite restaurants. I loved the peanut-dressing they put on their salads, loved their soup, and just rotated through the menu--I hated to miss things. They made this *wonderful* "Incendiary Chicken*, which was a whole Cornish game hen on a vertical skewer with vegetables in a chile sauce around it. This was one of those places where you'd use a spoon to eat the sauce that was left.

Other places:
                                    Classic American (North Babylon?); very good fish and chips.

Cooke's In (Huntington): Comfort/Soul/Caribbean food. Nice buffet on Wednesdays.

Sweet & Spicy Carribean (Amityville): Jamaican; curried goat, jerk chicken, cod & ackee, cowfoot, oxtail, etc.

Say it isn;t so! I love Chaophaya Thai- The owners are the nicest people ! Oh man, the kids are gonna be bummed- they love Noi- she always came out and talked to them. They ahad great duck and a griled beef salad with a really tasty dressing. What a drag- I'll miss thae palce and the people there. When did it close??????????

Scott_R

• Total Posts: 127
                                      RE: Long Island , NY Sun, 12/19/04 4:35 PM (permalink)
                                      I don't exactly know when Chaophaya closed; I went by at the beginning of November, and it was empty.

Tedbear

• Total Posts: 1832
                                        RE: Long Island , NY Fri, 12/31/04 6:54 PM (permalink)
                                        While I have no idea what the name of the place was, I vividly remember going with my aunt & uncle (they lived on Crest Road in Merrick) to a fantastic German restaurant that was right on a lake (Lake Ronkonkoma??). I had my first taste of Sauerbraten (with potato pancakes and red cabbage, of course) at the age of 10 or so, and I was hooked!

Does anyone remember this place? Since it has been more than 40 years since I was there, I wouldn't be surprised if it was gone. But, if it's still there, I would love to go back for a sentimental journey.

susanhopebell

• Total Posts: 7
                                          RE: Long Island , NY Sat, 01/1/05 9:01 AM (permalink)
                                          Sure, that would be Bavarian Inn.
                                          http://www.bavarianinnofli.com/

MacTAC

• Total Posts: 425
                                            RE: Long Island , NY Sun, 01/2/05 9:46 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by the ancient marinerWay back when the Northern State Parkway came to an end at Glen Cove Rd. (would you believe that) you were dumped onto Jericho Turnpike. A few inchs east of that intersection was a great (in my mind) restaurant. There was a gas station at the intersection and next came the place I am talking about. The last time I was out there I think it was a mexican restaurant. There might have been a "Red" in the name. Red Roof, Red Coach----- something like that. A little further east is the Westbury Manor, which I have had the pleasure of visiting a few times.

I believe that might have been the Red Coach Grill(e)? A little further east was Carl Hoppl's (spelling is correct). Might have been Carl Hoppl's Westbury Manor, or it just became Westbury Manor later…

MacTAC

RE: Long Island , NY Sun, 01/2/05 10:03 PM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by Tony Bad

The pies at some of the farm stands others recommended have gotten average in recent years. They almost seem mass produced rather than the good fresh baked fare of old.

The Modern Snack Bar is a neat old place on 25 in Aquebogue (spelling??)... it sometimes draws a lot of elderly diners and has a ben-gay type odor...which is not too appetizing.

Pizza is another thing that depends on who you ask. Almost everyone will tell you "there's a place right near where I live/work that is great"...so you have to ask around. When I leave LI for extended periods, I miss the pizza more than anything (sorry wife and kids...just kiddin')

I heard that from someone who says they know, that Briermere does buy their pies now. They do a huge business around the holidays…

Wonder if that BenGay odor is when they re-open in the spring after being closed all winter? Spelling is correct. The food is very good, though…

I like the pizza at La Venezia in Woodbury in the little shopping center just west of the Seaford/Oyster Bay Expwy on the north side of Jericho Tpk.

MacTAC

RE: Long Island , NY Sun, 01/2/05 10:26 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:

-Geide's in Centerport (opposite Linck's) wonderful duck
                                                -The San Souci in Bethpage, next to Grummans --- for gourmets

I remember having duck the 2 or 3 times my grandmother took us to Geide's when I think I may have been about ten, maybe 45(?!?) years ago…

I do remember the Beau Sejour in Bethpage by Grumman that was quite upscale…

Anyone remember the Harmony Rest on north side of Jericho Tpk. somewhere between Jericho to maybe Huntington or so? Not the Harmony bar on Newbridge Rd. in Hicksville, near East Meadow. I seem to recall a place called Charcoal Charlie's (not the Oakdale Bronco Charlie's in Oakdale) in Levittown waaaay back…

MacTAC

RE: Long Island , NY Sun, 01/2/05 10:33 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by kozel
                                                  If you're from the Woodbury area, have you been to that BBQ stand just east (I think) of that Quality Inn on the south side of Jericho?

Yes, where you said, just east of Plainview Rd. I think it's called Poppa Rick's and it's pretty good. Texas-style BBQ, I believe…

PaulBPool

• Total Posts: 278
                                                    RE: Long Island , NY Wed, 02/2/05 10:13 AM (permalink)
                                                    Long Island...sigh...born and raised here. Have to agree with some of the posters about a few of the "classics"; Zorn's chicken, still great; Ray-Norr's in Baldwin; Umberto's in New Hyde Park; All American in Massapequa. Here's a few more;
                                                    Krisch's in Massapequa Park - homemade ice cream, a real "soda shop", comfort food, 50's style, still family owned;
                                                    Leo's in Garden City - as close to a real life "Cheers" as you'll ever find. THE social spot in GC for grads and families; Try the bacon cheeseburger, you won't be disappointed; Good ribs and chili too
                                                    Koenig's in Floral Park - Old style german; seems to have slipped a bit in recent years
                                                    "LUNCH" in Amagansett - the best Lobster Roll ever!
                                                    Nathan's in Oceanside - Almost as good as the original in Brooklyn
                                                    Unfortunately, the "applebees" and "chili's" are making their inroads and some local places are feeling the crunch.

belugaz

• Total Posts: 6
                                                      RE: Long Island , NY Mon, 02/7/05 10:41 PM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by MacTAC

-Geide's in Centerport (opposite Linck's) wonderful duck
                                                      -The San Souci in Bethpage, next to Grummans --- for gourmets

I remember having duck the 2 or 3 times my grandmother took us to Geide's when I think I may have been about ten, maybe 45(?!?) years ago…
                                                      I do remember the Beau Sejour in Bethpage by Grumman that was quite upscale…

i cant believe this website exists, so i m talking to my sister,on the phone about lincks log cabin so i do a web search and you guys come up ....incredible memories, remember the fish tanks at patrica murphys, glynns and geides the one across from lincks had the great neon sign of a duck being followed by 4 ducklings, beau sejour went there every thanksgiving huge family, that place on 25a the wildwood or greenwood had the best onion rings in the world...they closed that place down because brookhaven guys were scared of the motorcycle crowd they re zoned it......and when you went into cold spring harbour there were actually 2 clam bars....great stuff and of course who could forget hamburger choo choo in huntington....but the best, and I havent heard anyone mention it in 40 years was lollipop farm...that place was great does anyone remember kiddy city by douglaston how about the north shore steak house that may still exist al dowds in centerport, where we had a summer house had the best gorganzola salad dressing i the world good steaks to ayone remember drifters reef a bar in centerport they had shot prices penciled on the bottles ..amazing

MacTAC

• Location: Long Island, NY
                                                        RE: Long Island , NY Tue, 02/8/05 7:58 PM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by belugaz...but the best, and I havent heard anyone mention it in 40 years was lollipop farm...that place was great does anyone remember kiddy city by douglaston how about the north shore steak house that may still exist al dowds in centerport, where we had a summer house had the best gorganzola salad dressing…
                                                        Hi Belugaz

•Loved the Lollipop Farm…

•I think I remember passing the place in Douglaston and wishing I could go. Never did. Probably would have never thought of that place again had you not mentioned it…

•My mother's aunt had a summer place in Centerport. They called it the bungalow. It was where the parking lot was added onto the west end of the Mill Pond Inn (?) I remember clamming out there and can still remember the taste of the Manhattan style chowder they made…

the ancient mariner

• Location: st petersburg, florida
                                                          RE: Long Island , NY Tue, 02/8/05 8:36 PM (permalink)
                                                          Before many of you were born there was a wonderful place called Lake Ronkonkoma---not the place that is there now. It was a a small town, I think 80 year round families when we moved there in 1940--but all around the lake were pavilions---open only during the summer season only and- for 3 or 4 months they really swung. Hollywood , Green, Raynors, Busch's, Jack Yerks and Ronk Shores (now the Bavarian Inn) -------dancing every night---put a nickel in the nickelodean----and find the cutest high school girl and dance the lindy or the slow dances-------hamburgers and cokes and if you didn't have a nickel the music from across the lake would be loud enough to dance to. And when the war was over and some older guys had cars we would go to the Smithtown Diner for breakfast at 2 am or there abouts. Listen to and dance to the music of Glenn Miller, Harry James,Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey, Artie
                                                          Shaw , Frankie, Bing and Dick Haymes, Dinah Shore and lots more. What a way to spend your teen years. Long Island isn't what it used to be.

the ancient mariner

• Location: st petersburg, florida
                                                            RE: Long Island , NY Tue, 02/8/05 8:44 PM (permalink)
                                                            After the war people had cars and The Lake got too crowded on the weekends so we would go out to Westhampton for beach parties. Cross over the bridge and turn right and there wasn't a house in sight. Park off the road, carry blankets and food and beer across the dunes and camp out over night. We could have bought the whole place for $100 if we had $100. It is now covered completely with homes, very expensive beach front homes. But, who knew. But there was nothing like swimming in the Atlantic and great hot dogs and burgers cooked on open fires and then----those "Sandy Kisses " yummy.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 2 of 13, messages 31 to 60 of 380

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com