Hot!Long Island , NY

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 13
Author
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
  • Joined: 2004/11/19 00:23:00
  • Location: Long Island, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/02/08 21:09:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by the ancient mariner

Before many of you were born there was a wonderful place called Lake Ronkonkoma---not the place that is there now.--- --- --- Listen to and dance to the music of Glenn Miller, Harry James,Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey, Artie Shaw , Frankie, Bing and Dick Haymes, Dinah Shore and lots more. What a way to spend your teen years. Long Island isn't what it used to be.
When I was about 8, my brother about 7 along about 1955, my father was stationed overseas (USAF). His brother, my Uncle Bill, would come by on his beautiful red Harley Davidson and give us rides on Sundays. I remember going to the clam bar in Cold Spring Harbor several times. I still remember the feeling of being on the road with him. The smell of the leather seat and saddlebags, fueling up, the heat of the engine. My big trip was to Lake Ronkonkoma. He bought me a souvenir, I picked out a red Lake Ronkonkoma pennant that hung on my bedroom wall for many years. I listen to that music all the time. I found a great online radio station from Texas (http://www.kzqx.com/) with virtually no commercials, once getting a basketball broadcast otherwise nonstop music of that era. You're sure right about LI not being what it was, but sadly, not much is…
#61
belugaz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Joined: 2005/02/07 22:11:00
  • Location: kingston, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/02/10 14:30:35 (permalink)
You guys are going to far back for me, however Long island was never what it use to be lol. If you drive that stretch on 25a after glen cove, to huntington youll find that it is virtually unchanged. however there were two farmstands that are no longer there, right around what must of been Muttontown. I mentioned this site to my brother who reminded me that the duckplace acroos the street from lincks had horrible food, i really dont remember. We were talking about the Landmark diner on 25a right across from the old Patrica murphys. I asked him if he could remember the bomb shelters being sold at the gas station on the corner...I remember playing in them while the "old man' filled the car up with gas for 60 cents.Also Burt Bacharacks place was taken over by a steak joint that is excellent, according to my brother. The clams from centerport harbour were the best. I remember my mother making baked clams with fresh everything they were incredible
#62
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
  • Joined: 2004/11/19 00:23:00
  • Location: Long Island, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/02/10 22:46:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by the ancient mariner

After the war people had cars and The Lake got too crowded on the weekends so we would go out to Westhampton for beach parties. … … … We could have bought the whole place for $100 if we had $100. It is now covered completely with homes, very expensive beach front homes. … … …
Around '57, My Uncle, Aunt, and cousin took us (Dad, Mom, brother and I) out east to look at a piece of property that they had inherited. On the way, we stopped for a swim and picnic on Westhampton Beach. Until a few years ago, I had thought that actually took place in Amagansett where the property was. They did build a beautiful small house on the property that my brother and I both got to use for our respective honeymoons. Happy to say that my cousin still has the home. Westhampton Beach on the other hand seems like a couple of big Nor'easters from disappearing…
#63
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
  • Joined: 2004/11/19 00:23:00
  • Location: Long Island, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/02/10 22:58:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by belugaz

If you drive that stretch on 25a after glen cove, to huntington youll find that it is virtually unchanged. however there were two farmstands that are no longer there, right around what must of been Muttontown. I mentioned this site to my brother who reminded me that the duckplace acroos the street from lincks had horrible food, i really dont remember. We were talking about the Landmark diner on 25a right across from the old Patrica murphys. I asked him if he could remember the bomb shelters being sold at the gas station on the corner...I remember playing in them while the "old man' filled the car up with gas for 60 cents.
It's true that stretch of 25A is fairly unchanged, but for Roadfooders the loss of Wildwood Rest/Dowd's Beefalo is big. Geide's had good food, great duck. I suspect your brother is referring to another restaurant across from Linck's? 60 cents a gallon? Why you young whippersnapper, when I first got my license ('64) the lowest I remember was 19.9… I'll bet Ancient Mariner will top that though :-)
#64
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
  • Joined: 2004/11/19 00:23:00
  • Location: Long Island, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/02/10 23:05:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by belugaz

… … … who could forget hamburger choo choo in huntington … … …
A good Roadfood place (at least the one time I ate there) right in Huntington Village is Munday's, an old fashioned Ice Cream parlor and comfort food type of place…
#65
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3987
  • Joined: 2004/04/06 21:00:00
  • Location: st petersburg, florida
  • Status: offline
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/02/13 13:53:33 (permalink)
I don't remember buying gas any cheaper than 17 cents a gallon. But that was in the 50's, I'll bet It was cheaper when I put 50 cents worth in my mom's 1929 Ford Model A so that I could drive around all weekend. I didn't have a licence but who cared there were only 4 cops in all of Brookhaven township, and we knew them all. The Model A had two seats under cover and a rumble seat for the hardy, and there wasn't anything on that car that you couldn't fix yourself. The estate area from Glen Cove Road to Muttontown (Oyster Bay) Rd is very much the same because it was and is all estates. But the farm stands around Brookville were wonderful. There is still one left on Hageman Lane in Brookville-I think it is run by the Weir family. Great home made pies. Half the home-made pies served on Thanksgiving in that area came from Weir's.

Munday's in Huntington Village is great, lot's of business men and store owners would meet there for breakfast every morning. Coffee, great buns and all the local gossip to start the day. I loved Geide's---they had a band on Sat night. The waitresses almost always served just as the band was finishing a set. sit down eat your duck, wipe your chin and get ready for the next set of "Why Dances" and lindys. No latin music at all. Well maybe one rumba, by request from someone trying to show off, and the band would have to did deep for the sheet music. Up the road at the Mill Pond Inn everyone ate the best stakes in town and then joined in the singing around the piano. And older gentleman would play all night and he knew every song we could throw at him.
#66
belugaz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Joined: 2005/02/07 22:11:00
  • Location: kingston, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/02/14 15:29:10 (permalink)
[qbut for Roadfooders the loss of Wildwood Rest/Dowd's Beefalo is big. Geide's had good food, great duck. I suspect your brother is referring to another restaurant across from Linck's? 60 cents a gallon? Why you young whippersnapper, when I first got my license ('64) the lowest I remember was 19.9… I'll bet Ancient Mariner will top that though :-)


yes that place was excellent beefalo, even before it was beefalo.It was also a great place to just rest if commuting from manhattan. I also remember a pretty good seafod place underneath the roslyn bridge fishermans reef I think it was called. There was also another seafood place I forget the name, but when we went to my aunts in garden city from port washington, it would be on the right , next door was a huge amusement park, it had a very strange roof. Its hard to remember this stuff I was like 5 or 6 years old. I remember eating wonderful fried clams.Patricia Murphys was always a big treat for our family besides the popovers they had these sweet cakes the ladies would bring around. Also every child got a comic book usually Little lulu and sluggo..I remember her Aunt fritz as being a little to risque.They also had beautiful gardens in the back. Lincks i remember when it burned down , I also remember when it was robbed, the robbers drove into my grandmothers back yard in centerport. Those were wonderful times and everyone in my family misses them. That other clam place between centerport and northport someone mentioned isnt bad, its very crowed on the weekends and had become rather chic and therfore rather expensive.
#67
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13480
  • Joined: 2001/07/18 14:10:00
  • Location: Knoxville, TN,
  • Status: offline
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/02/14 15:33:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by the ancient mariner

I don't remember buying gas any cheaper than 17 cents a gallon. But that was in the 50's, I'll bet It was cheaper when I put 50 cents worth in my mom's 1929 Ford Model A so that I could drive around all weekend. I didn't have a licence but who cared there were only 4 cops in all of Brookhaven township, and we knew them all. The Model A had two seats under cover and a rumble seat for the hardy, and there wasn't anything on that car that you couldn't fix yourself. The estate area from Glen Cove Road to Muttontown (Oyster Bay) Rd is very much the same because it was and is all estates. But the farm stands around Brookville were wonderful. There is still one left on Hageman Lane in Brookville-I think it is run by the Weir family. Great home made pies. Half the home-made pies served on Thanksgiving in that area came from Weir's.

Munday's in Huntington Village is great, lot's of business men and store owners would meet there for breakfast every morning. Coffee, great buns and all the local gossip to start the day. I loved Geide's---they had a band on Sat night. The waitresses almost always served just as the band was finishing a set. sit down eat your duck, wipe your chin and get ready for the next set of "Why Dances" and lindys. No latin music at all. Well maybe one rumba, by request from someone trying to show off, and the band would have to did deep for the sheet music. Up the road at the Mill Pond Inn everyone ate the best stakes in town and then joined in the singing around the piano. And older gentleman would play all night and he knew every song we could throw at him.


Ancient mariner: Don't you wish you had your mom's 29 Ford back to tool around with now?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
#68
jeepguy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1555
  • Joined: 2004/03/29 04:29:00
  • Location: chicago, IL
  • Status: offline
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/02/14 17:05:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by the ancient mariner

On my first day in the US Navy, at the ripe old age of 17, I was standing in line for "chow". A great big guy stepped out of the kitchen and hollered "anyone here from Long Island?" And now 60 years later I am asking the same question. I find very little about places to eat on Looooooong Island although no one looks under-nourished and deprived. From Brooklyn and Queens all the way to Montauk Point there has to be someplace other than the Currasqueira Baierada, which was recommended by Steve Rushmore and which was great. Any others???????
I can only hope i'm so healthy and well spoken as you, Ancient Mariner. My only memory of Looong Is is my one week love affair with a VP of Chemical Bank in LI while i was down in Myrtle Beach. She never called me after that week! She talked funny too.
#69
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
  • Joined: 2004/11/19 00:23:00
  • Location: Long Island, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/02/14 21:34:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by belugaz

There was also another seafood place I forget the name, but when we went to my aunts in garden city from port washington, it would be on the right , next door was a huge amusement park, it had a very strange roof. Its hard to remember this stuff I was like 5 or 6 years old. I remember eating wonderful fried clams.Patricia Murphys was always a big treat for our family besides the popovers they had these sweet cakes the ladies would bring around. Also every child got a comic book usually Little lulu and sluggo..I remember her Aunt fritz as being a little to risque.
I think that might've been McGinnis of Sheepshead Bay? Aunt Fritzi was hot…
#70
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
  • Joined: 2004/11/19 00:23:00
  • Location: Long Island, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/02/14 21:41:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by the ancient mariner

The estate area from Glen Cove Road to Muttontown (Oyster Bay) Rd is very much the same because it was and is all estates. But the farm stands around Brookville were wonderful. There is still one left on Hageman Lane in Brookville-I think it is run by the Weir family. Great home made pies. Half the home-made pies served on Thanksgiving in that area came from Weir's.
I passed there last Autumn and saw some cars there very early in the day. A very out-of-the-way area…

http://www.longislandtraditions.org/artistprofiles/occupatn/youngs.html
#71
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3987
  • Joined: 2004/04/06 21:00:00
  • Location: st petersburg, florida
  • Status: offline
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/02/14 21:58:08 (permalink)
Mr Jeep Guy---thanks for the compliments--- clean living is what does it---no wine, women or song,
I only have one vise---I lie about everything. An' wat do youse mean da veep talked funny? Huh ??
U some kinda wise guy?

MacTac--- I agree it must have been McGinniss on Jericho Turnpike on the way to Garden City.

Do any of you remember the Sunrise Village on Sunrise Hgy in the Rockville Center area. German food, entertainment and dancing until the wee hours of the morning. Going there was a big deal when we were first married--My wife bought a dress for the occasion in an inexpensive store and when we got to the shin-dig there were 2 other women with the same exact "inexpensive" dress-------No fist fights broke out, but they weren't friendly. There was a great young singer named John something-or-other who entertained there ---he later opened a place in Coram. John Wile I think---great voice. And the Coram place was The Island Squire.

#72
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
  • Joined: 2004/11/19 00:23:00
  • Location: Long Island, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/02/14 23:37:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by the ancient mariner


Do any of you remember the Sunrise Village on Sunrise Hgy in the Rockville Center area.
I remember passing by when I was a kid. It was Tudor-ish or Chalet-ish and I recall it as very large. When I was old enough to go on my own or got interested in going, it closed. Same with McCluskey's. Anyone remember The Ranger or The Texas Ranger in Freeport? There was a Nunley's Happyland over that way on Sunrise or Montauk Hwy. We had one by us in Levittown, (later called Smiley's Happyland) with the kiddie rides. They had a beautiful carousel, the music supplied by a hand-carved, mechanical orchestra dressed like the 18th century. It was attached to a restaurant called Jolly Roger's (As a matter of fact, when we asked to go for the rides we always asked to go to Jolly Roger's) with good food and a separate room for Birthday parties. Hand-carved sandwiches, burgers, dogs, fried foods, and ice cream. Had the relish counter for you to put on your own sauerkraut, onions etc. Later, in High School, right around the corner, we could walk over for lunch. A great place for kids that I never got to take my own kids to. Would have made a fine Roadfood stop. Replaced with a strip mall so we could have another nail salon, video store or the 20th pizzeria in the area.
#73
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
  • Joined: 2004/11/19 00:23:00
  • Location: Long Island, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/02/14 23:53:48 (permalink)
SunDancer has come rather far afield from the banks of the Tennessee River. Maybe heard the talk about Aunt Fritzi?
#74
belugaz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Joined: 2005/02/07 22:11:00
  • Location: kingston, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/02/15 03:00:49 (permalink)
As a matter of fact, when we asked to go for the rides we always asked to go to Jolly Roger's) The jolly Roger, just the name would send a shiver up a young boys spine, along with comics of Aunt fritzy. They had at the time the most frightening ride a 'wild mouse".It was a small roller coaster, compared to the rides now is was small potatoes.There was another farm stand on 25a right before you got to centerport right before lincks, same side of the road. The guy who owned the place use to go nuts when we bought coca colas and tried to keep the bottles. That 2 cents was a fortune to a 5 year old.The place was sort of a combination of Deliverance, modern farmer and the wizard of oz.Anyone remember the wild west show out in I think Patchouge.
#75
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3987
  • Joined: 2004/04/06 21:00:00
  • Location: st petersburg, florida
  • Status: offline
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/02/15 07:03:40 (permalink)
MacTac--thanks for the info regarding Young's Farm. Having worked for both the Mariani family who own Banfi and the Weir Family (she was a Young daughter) I found it very interesting. Seeing as how you drive by that area there is a small piece of history on the cirner of Hageman and 106 or 107 whatever that road to Glen Cove is called. The estate that now houses Banfi's corporate headquarters was originally a Vanderbilt
summer cottage of about 50 rooms. It was bought by Lundy of Lundy's Famous Restaurant in Sheepshead Bay. And the wrought iron fence that was painted light green the last time I saw it has an "L" on the gate.That fence was part of the original Belt Parkway in Brooklyn and Lundy bought it and erected it on his "summer house".
#76
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
  • Status: offline
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/02/16 03:17:22 (permalink)
quote:
There was a Nunley's Happyland over that way on Sunrise or Montauk Hwy. We had one by us in Levittown, (later called Smiley's Happyland) with the kiddie rides. They had a beautiful carousel, the music supplied by a hand-carved, mechanical orchestra dressed like the 18th century. It was attached to a restaurant called Jolly Roger's (As a matter of fact, when we asked to go for the rides we always asked to go to Jolly Roger's) with good food and a separate room for Birthday parties. Hand-carved sandwiches, burgers, dogs, fried foods, and ice cream. Had the relish counter for you to put on your own sauerkraut, onions etc. Later, in High School, right around the corner, we could walk over for lunch. A great place for kids that I never got to take my own kids to. Would have made a fine Roadfood stop. Replaced with a strip mall so we could have another nail salon, video store or the 20th pizzeria in the area.


The carousel from Nunley's is now in Eisenhower Park. as for jolly Roger's...wasn't that over in Bethpage? I remember it on Hempstead Turnpike at Hicksville road. I was there in the late 60's, but not sure when it finally closed. Nunley's was there into the mid 90's, but is now a PepBoys...boy we sure needed another one of those!
#77
rjb
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 451
  • Joined: 2003/12/15 09:33:00
  • Location: Bronxville, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/02/16 09:01:27 (permalink)
Krieg's bakery in a strip mall in Hampton Bays for their nuclear apple fritter. The Hellenic Diner near Orient point for their singular souvlaki served on a bed of french fries. The "clubhouse" at Island's End golf course (next door to the Hellenic diner). For some reason, I find their ham & cheese on white bread sandwich with a can of Bud the perfect lunch between 9's. Would never touch it anywhere else.
#78
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
  • Joined: 2004/11/19 00:23:00
  • Location: Long Island, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/02/17 01:07:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by the ancient mariner

MacTac--thanks for the info regarding Young's Farm. Having worked for both the Mariani family who own Banfi and the Weir Family (she was a Young daughter) I found it very interesting. Seeing as how you drive by that area there is a small piece of history on the cirner of Hageman and 106 or 107 whatever that road to Glen Cove is called. The estate that now houses Banfi's corporate headquarters was originally a Vanderbilt summer cottage of about 50 rooms. It was bought by Lundy of Lundy's Famous Restaurant in Sheepshead Bay. And the wrought iron fence that was painted light green the last time I saw it has an "L" on the gate.That fence was part of the original Belt Parkway in Brooklyn and Lundy bought it and erected it on his "summer house".
My pleasure. I enjoy getting your (slightly) earlier perspective on the areas I'm familiar with. Next time I go up Glen Cove way (107) I'll definitely check out that gate and fence. Get some photos if I can. Speaking of Glen Cove, two places I enjoyed are Henry's, an old fashioned ice cream parlor/luncheonette type place, and Machu Picchu(sp.?), a Peruvian rotisserie take out/eat-in restaurant…
#79
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
  • Joined: 2004/11/19 00:23:00
  • Location: Long Island, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/02/17 01:27:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tony Bad


The carousel from Nunley's is now in Eisenhower Park. as for jolly Roger's...wasn't that over in Bethpage? I remember it on Hempstead Turnpike at Hicksville road. I was there in the late 60's, but not sure when it finally closed. Nunley's was there into the mid 90's, but is now a PepBoys...boy we sure needed another one of those!
Jolly Roger's, right where you said, was actually the restaurant part attached to Happyland, originally also Nunley's like the one in Baldwin(?), later called Smiley's. Is the carousel in storage over there? I remember reading about it years ago. Here is some info I found regarding the organ I mentioned in an earlier post. http://mmd.foxtail.com/Archives/Digests/200406/2004.06.22.01.html I'm glad others remember it as fondly as I do. I also would love to hear it again…
#80
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
  • Joined: 2004/11/19 00:23:00
  • Location: Long Island, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/02/17 02:08:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by rjb

Krieg's bakery in a strip mall in Hampton Bays for their nuclear apple fritter. The Hellenic Diner near Orient point for their singular souvlaki served on a bed of french fries. The "clubhouse" at Island's End golf course (next door to the Hellenic diner). For some reason, I find their ham & cheese on white bread sandwich with a can of Bud the perfect lunch between 9's. Would never touch it anywhere else.
I will watch for Krieg's next time I'm out there. I sometimes stop at Slo-Jack's in HBays for their chili, meat or meatless. Smoothies and shakes. I don't get too adventurous there. I've also enjoyed the Hellenic Snack Bar (I think it's called) the times we've eaten there. Was that American or Swiss with your perfect lunch? Out that way also is the Coronet, that I believe, was also reviewed by Roadfood. I had a 5 a.m. breakfast there before a party boat outing about 35 years ago. I look forward to going again sometime soon…
#81
rjb
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 451
  • Joined: 2003/12/15 09:33:00
  • Location: Bronxville, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/02/17 09:06:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MacTAC

quote:
Originally posted by rjb

Krieg's bakery in a strip mall in Hampton Bays for their nuclear apple fritter. The Hellenic Diner near Orient point for their singular souvlaki served on a bed of french fries. The "clubhouse" at Island's End golf course (next door to the Hellenic diner). For some reason, I find their ham & cheese on white bread sandwich with a can of Bud the perfect lunch between 9's. Would never touch it anywhere else.
I will watch for Krieg's next time I'm out there. I sometimes stop at Slo-Jack's in HBays for their chili, meat or meatless. Smoothies and shakes. I don't get too adventurous there. I've also enjoyed the Hellenic Snack Bar (I think it's called) the times we've eaten there. Was that American or Swiss with your perfect lunch? Out that way also is the Coronet, that I believe, was also reviewed by Roadfood. I had a 5 a.m. breakfast there before a party boat outing about 35 years ago. I look forward to going again sometime soon…
#82
Neala
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Joined: 2005/03/04 14:08:00
  • Location: Long Island, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/03/04 14:18:45 (permalink)
The roadside bbq place on south side of Jericho Turnpike is Poppa Rick and it's great! His pulled pork is one of my alltime favorites. and the sides are excellent. Smokin' Al's in Bayshore is also good, although he doesn't smoke his meat as long. The ribs are quite good and I love the onion straws.

I'm not a fan of Pierson's -- the meat is okay but the sides are pretty bad (IMHO).

BTW, thanks to everyone for helping me -- I write a dining column for a parenting magazine on Long Island and needed some roadside places. Y'all gave me some suggestions and I appreciate it.

#83
Scallion1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 418
  • Joined: 2004/07/20 08:42:00
  • Location: Yonkers, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/03/29 20:20:07 (permalink)
Anyone remember a restaurant in one of the Five Towns, probably Lawrence or Inwood, called Cairo's? In my memory it was the perfect Italian steakhouse: we used to stop there on Sunday evenings on the way back from Atlantic Beach. Huge martinis, great steaks, zuppa di pesce, lobsters. It's become a Nirvana in my mind, thirty-odd years later.

I'd love to get someone else's impressions and recollections.

Thanks,
Bill, a Long Islander at heart forever
#84
Stewdude
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
  • Joined: 2001/04/25 00:52:00
  • Location: East Meadow, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/04/08 11:46:10 (permalink)
Came across a true Roadfood find the other day on Hempstead Turnpike in East Meadow - Pastrami Plus. Little storefront place with just a handful of tables but this was the real deal on pastrami and corned beef. Easily the best I've had on the island, beating out the new Pastrami King of Merrick which, while still good, is not as good as it used to be. Corned beef was very flavorful, nice and garlicky. The pastrami was moist, a bit peppery and perfect texture. Sal the owner was extremely gracious making sure we got samples of both meats before ordering. Good sides (I really liked the sweet potato pancake)to go along with it. Can't wait to grab some overstuffed combos and head to Shea Stadium and hopefully enjoy the new Mets as much as the new pastrami place on the island.
#85
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
  • Status: offline
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/04/08 12:08:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Stewdude

Came across a true Roadfood find the other day on Hempstead Turnpike in East Meadow - Pastrami Plus. Little storefront place with just a handful of tables but this was the real deal on pastrami and corned beef. Easily the best I've had on the island, beating out the new Pastrami King of Merrick which, while still good, is not as good as it used to be. Corned beef was very flavorful, nice and garlicky. The pastrami was moist, a bit peppery and perfect texture. Sal the owner was extremely gracious making sure we got samples of both meats before ordering. Good sides (I really liked the sweet potato pancake)to go along with it. Can't wait to grab some overstuffed combos and head to Shea Stadium and hopefully enjoy the new Mets as much as the new pastrami place on the island.


Thanks for the info...I was trying to think of a place to stop on the way to Shea for opening day. I usually take the train, and stop somewhere along the LIRR or #7 line, but will be driving, so this may be a good option!

Lets Go Mets please!!
#86
vegas
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 82
  • Joined: 2004/01/16 13:36:00
  • Location: not vegas (SW CT)
  • Status: offline
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/04/08 13:30:04 (permalink)

pretty please we will be in the marina parking lot by 10.30 grillin up some doga and drinkin some beers
#87
William Floyd
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Joined: 2005/04/12 10:51:00
  • Location: Long Island, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/04/12 11:13:52 (permalink)
I spotted this forum and wondered if anyone would remember two places that I recall from childhood. First was the West End Tavern that sat on the triangle formed by Hempstead Turnpike and Front Street in Hempstead. The other was The Midway that stood on Franklin Avenue just north of where Corona Avenue hits Franklin in Franklin Square. These memories must be at least 45 or more years old. Thanks.
#88
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3741
  • Joined: 2003/03/25 02:02:00
  • Location: Central FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/04/13 00:32:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by William Floyd



Your parents didn't name you after the parkway, did they?

#89
Scott_R
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 127
  • Joined: 2004/03/22 14:29:00
  • Location: Massapequa, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/07/24 13:44:26 (permalink)
Well, it's been a while since I posted to this thread. I'll try not to be duplicative, except to further comment on one or two things already mentioned.

First, I found a new Thai place I like. I *really* miss Chaophaya in Lindenhurst, but I've come to really like Tiny Thai in Farmingdale. It's on Main Street right next to the railroad (across from what's-its-name, the club). The menu isn't quite as inventive as Chaophaya, but the food is excellent and the people (I'm not on a first name basis... yet) are very friendly. It's one of the few places that will actually make the food as hot as I like it (I've been given the option of a "heat" scale from one to twenty). It's aptly named: the place can't seat very many.

Brewpub: Black Forest Brewhaus in Farmingdale. They brew their own beer, plus a few bottled brands for people who can't break away from Wonderbread-style beers. I don't know that I'd specifiaclly go there for the food, but they make some tasty things. The bar-style food (wings, etc.) are fine if nothing spectacular. Strangely, I'm more likely to get the seared tuna salad while sitting at the bar than wings--it's sliced rare tuna on a salad with wasabi dressing, not tuna salad, and it's rather good. About 90% of the business is typically at the bar, though the bar atmosphere is friendly and relaxed. It's one of those places where you keep your own mug (labeled with your name and a price) hanging over the bar, and just take it down when you come in. In a sense, though, I suppose it's not a real "Roadfood" type of place (a great little discovery), but a nice place to stop by if you're in the neighborhood. New Highway, corner with Smith Street.

Coffee on Long Island is tricky, especially espresso. Places to go: Northwinds Coffee and Tea in Port Washington. I think it's 109 Main Street (across from the movie theatre). Coffee roasted on the premises. I know of no other places on the North Shore worth mentioning. South Shore: The Grind in Bellmore (about 1/4 mile west of the Wantagh Pkwy). Brownstones in Amityville, about 1/2 mile west of 110, two blocks from County Line Rd., and Babylon Bean in, well, Babylon, right off Deer Park Avenue. All on Merrick Rd (called Montauk Hwy out in Babylon), the Grind on the north side, the others on the south. Well, OK, Babylon Bean is half a block south, on Fire Island Ave.

re: mentioned in this thread.
Oaxaca: Haven't been there in a couple of years, but had always been pleased. Hope it hasn't changed.
Ray-noor's Cabin in Baldwin: been there exactly twice. First time I thought it was fabulous. Second time, I ordered the same thing, and thought "why the heck did I like this place?" Considering its popularity, I suppose the second experience is the odd one, but I haven't verified this personally.
#90
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 13
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1