Hot!Long Island , NY

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 13
Author
Scott_R
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 127
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/07/30 19:35:54 (permalink)
Just a note: I added a review for Poppa Rick's, after reading about it in this thread:
< http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=3117>
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3987
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/07/30 19:47:18 (permalink)
Thanks Scott---I lived within walking distance of Poppa Ricks for many years and never entered the place. Now that I am a thousand miles away I find out how good it was. Well next time I am on Jericho in Huntington visiting friends or relatives I will make it a point to stop in. I will also recommend it to them on your say so. Thanks again
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/07/30 21:47:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scott_R

Just a note: I added a review for Poppa Rick's, after reading about it in this thread:
< http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=3117>

Thanks a bunch Scott! I never heard of this place, but I wil be sure to seek it out now. There are a lot of need roadside shacks hidden away on Long Island...I know one in Blue Point...I just keep forgetting my camera when I am out that way!
Scott_R
Cheeseburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/08/02 14:50:39 (permalink)
Just a note: I'm looking to possible modify the town that it's listed under. I had seen a local paper review that placed it in Huntington, but my contact in the Nassau County Dep't of Health states, quite firmly, that it's in Nassau (Woodbury, it seems).

Roadfood review for All American in Massapequa has been added, pending approval. I used by digicam to get shots of the place and the food and they came out fine; used my camera phone to get shots of the menu and it was a waste of time. %&$@ camera phones! I only got one because of some other features.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/08/02 15:58:12 (permalink)
quote:

Roadfood review for All American in Massapequa has been added, pending approval. I used by digicam to get shots of the place and the food and they came out fine; used my camera phone to get shots of the menu and it was a waste of time. %&$@ camera phones! I only got one because of some other features.

All American is definitely someplace that needs to be here. Getting yourself as organized as you have and posting these reviews makes you a far better peron that I. I got things together for a review of Snowflake Ice Cream in Riverhead, but it was about 90 degrees and I was with my kids, so trying to keep them from meltdown took too long and there was nothing left to photograph for the food photo! rats...I'll have to go back.
Scott_R
Cheeseburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/08/03 14:57:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tony Bad

All American is definitely someplace that needs to be here. Getting yourself as organized as you have and posting these reviews makes you a far better peron that I. I got things together for a review of Snowflake Ice Cream in Riverhead, but it was about 90 degrees and I was with my kids, so trying to keep them from meltdown took too long and there was nothing left to photograph for the food photo! rats...I'll have to go back.

You had to say something. You HAD to say something. You jinxed me!!!

I went to have lunch at The Shack in Centerport,
< http://theshack.org/index1.html>
because I happened to be in the area today. I've passed by it many times, but never stopped there. So I ordered the Cajun fried popcorn shrimp boat, found a nice quiet table to sit, took my camera out and... it beeps at me.

No CompactFlash card. @#(&*#(*!

I had copied the pics of All American to my computer the day before; I couldn't find my data cable, so I took the card out of the camera and put it into the card reader. I was picturing that card reader, sitting on my desk 35 or so miles to the south/southwest....

I probably won't be back in the area for another month or so.

Geez, I finally actually *do* get myself organized, and you just HAD to call the universe's attention to it.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/08/03 15:48:10 (permalink)
quote:

Geez, I finally actually *do* get myself organized, and you just HAD to call the universe's attention to it.

Gee...I am sorry! I actually received a similar dressing down just the other day because I had spoken well of the Mets, who promptly went on a losing streak. My friends tell me to shut up a lot...I am beginning to understand why!

You are doing good work...you'll just have to go back sooner!

Scallion1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 418
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/08/03 20:57:26 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

Gee...I am sorry! I actually received a similar dressing down just the other day because I had spoken well of the Mets, who promptly went on a losing streak. My friends tell me to shut up a lot...I am beginning to understand why!

You are doing good work...you'll just have to go back sooner!

I devoutly hope that your taste in food surpasses your taste in "baseball" teams...
belugaz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/08/03 21:29:05 (permalink)
The shack, like the mets are highly over-rated. Going out to visit my brother in centerport this weekend going to get a big hero for the family for lunch. Our usual vist to the shack, the last 5 years has been somewhat unimpressive. Actually it wasnt that good 20 years ago when I lived out there...Give me that place on the top of the hill before cold spring harbor..now that was good eating..Oh yes watching the yankees now, they suck to.
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 828
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/08/04 06:23:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by belugaz

...Give me that place on the top of the hill before cold spring harbor..now that was good eating..

Sadly, the Wildwood Rest is gone too.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/08/04 09:02:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by kozel

quote:

...Give me that place on the top of the hill before cold spring harbor..now that was good eating..

Is that the place that was later called Dowd's (??) Beefalo? I passed by there many times as a kid, but only when I worked up that way in the early 80's to I frequent the place up the hill from Cold Spring HArbor, which was a beefalo joint by then.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/08/04 09:03:28 (permalink)
quote:

I devoutly hope that your taste in food surpasses your taste in "baseball" teams...

Me too!
Scott_R
Cheeseburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/08/04 10:56:43 (permalink)
quote:

The shack, like the mets are highly over-rated. Going out to visit my brother in centerport this weekend going to get a big hero for the family for lunch. Our usual vist to the shack, the last 5 years has been somewhat unimpressive. Actually it wasnt that good 20 years ago when I lived out there...Give me that place on the top of the hill before cold spring harbor..now that was good eating..Oh yes watching the yankees now, they suck to.

Well, as I'd said, it was my first time there. I'd heard the hype but, with the actual experience, I don't think I'd have gone ahead with a review. It was just the irony of forgetting my camera that made me mention the experience. At the least, I'd have to try it again (the Cajun popcorn shrimp were quite good).

I have to learn not to order shrimp and other shellfish, however tasty they may be--I always feel nauseous that evening. Must be a shellfish sensitivity.
Scott_R
Cheeseburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/08/04 11:14:18 (permalink)
I'm trying to think of local (Long Island) places to review, especialy in the Nassau County/western Suffolk area. Obviously, I mean places that are still open, so all this talk about beefalo places that I never had a chance to try is not helping! :)

Anyway, I'm considering Classic American in North Babylon, on Rt. 109. I do like their ostrich burgers, etc., but I still think they have simply the best fish and chips I've had--and that includes trips to the UK. Light and flaky inside, crisp and not oily outside.

There's this ice cream place out in Shirley (or maybe Mastic) on Montauk Hwy (or whichever name it goes by in that area). Called Ice Cream Cottage, IIRC. It's been a while since I've been there, but I've always liked their interesting takes on ice cream recipes. I was especially fond of their Cappuccino Chip, which had a nice little hint of cinnamon that comes out at the right time. But at an 85 or so mile round trip, I won't be making a single-purpose drive.

...oh, hey, of course! As I've posted in this thread, Sweet and Spicy Caribbean in Amityville! Oooh. Now I have a hankering for some curried goat! Of maybe some ackee.
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/08/04 12:57:14 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

Is that the place that was later called Dowd's (??) Beefalo? I passed by there many times as a kid, but only when I worked up that way in the early 80's to I frequent the place up the hill from Cold Spring HArbor, which was a beefalo joint by then.

Long before Dowd took over the place it was the Wildwood Rest. I went to CW Post in the 60's and would go there sometimes. It seemd to be a very old 'Roadhouse', how long I don't know. They reconstructed that intersection in the 90's and the property and building went away.
Scott_R
Cheeseburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/08/05 00:06:07 (permalink)
Review for All American is up:
< http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=3126>

Diet? What diet?
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/08/05 10:35:36 (permalink)
quote:

Review for All American is up:
< http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=3126>

Diet? What diet?

Good work Scott...you are helping to show there are a lot of good road-food places in this part of the world! Now I have to stop in sometime soon. By the way, the shakes are quite good, as are the hot dogs!
bonniesboytoy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/08/21 09:43:19 (permalink)
Hi Mariner, The Sunrise Village was on Sunrise Highway and Bellmore Road in Bellmore. I remember the big holiday parties that the management had for us kids. My dad used to take us there for the festivities.TOM P.S. Good German food, "The Brau Haus", route 110, 2 traffic lights north of Southern State, right turn, 2nd building on the left. Not too many German places left on the island. Fred's in Ronkonkoma was great but they sold 2 or 3 years age and now it is the American something. Food not good.
The "Ice Cream Cottage" closes for the winter sooooooo you had better hurry...TOM...
Scottow
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/08/21 21:31:49 (permalink)
Does anyone remember Hamburger Choo Choo on Main Street in Huntington? You HAD to sit at the counter because your burger would be delivered to you by train atop a flatcar! Also, does anyone recall the name of the restaurant in Cold Spring Harbor near The Moorings, that was done up like CAVES? This would be around 1960 or so. I lived there through 1970 and it was long gone before then. I can't for the life of me remember the name. Oh, and I loved Linck's Log Cabin as a kid! A classmate of mine at Cold Spring Harbor - Linda Meyers - told me her parents owned it. And Hilldebrant's on Hillside Avenue in Williston Park (where I lived till '56) was a favorite, too. Ah, the memories!
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/08/22 00:57:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scottow

And Hilldebrant's on Hillside Avenue in Williston Park (where I lived till '56) was a favorite, too. Ah, the memories!
I remember never being taken to Hamburger Choo Choo, but really enjoyed and miss Linck's. Can't help you with the CSH restaurant. At least Hildebrandts is still there and still good.
Scott_R
Cheeseburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/08/22 11:12:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bonniesboytoy

Hi Mariner, The Sunrise Village was on Sunrise Highway and Bellmore Road in Bellmore. I remember the big holiday parties that the management had for us kids. My dad used to take us there for the festivities.TOM P.S. Good German food, "The Brau Haus", route 110, 2 traffic lights north of Southern State, right turn, 2nd building on the left. Not too many German places left on the island. Fred's in Ronkonkoma was great but they sold 2 or 3 years age and now it is the American something. Food not good.

There's the Black Forest Brew Haus, witha quasi-German menu. They used to be heavily German, but adjusted their menu for local tastes, and now have feature "German specialties." They still brew their own beer on the premises--a rarity on Long Island.
http://www.blackforestbrewhaus.com/

Smith Street, corner of New Highway in Farmingdale (1 block east of 110, the street north of Adventureland)
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3987
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/08/22 17:45:45 (permalink)
Scottow--
#1--- The original owners of Linck's (everybody's favorite) were---McCarthy and Meyers so your friend in CSH was telling the truth probably. During prohibition it was the best speakeasy in Suffolk County (or so I have been told). During their heyday they did not accept reservations, but a friend of mine in Centerport had the phone # of Linck's with one number transposed. Got the picture??? If you called Linck's and dialed 2-3 instead of 3-2 you got Donald and ol'Donald took reservations. "Party of eight for 7 o'clock---yes certainly, what was that last name again."

#2 ---- There was a place in Cold Spring Harbor called the Grotto, but I was never there---could that be the place you mention with the caves ???

#3 ---- I worked on the construction of the Choo-choo and was one of their first customers. Back then there was also the Cottage Diner on the same side of
Main St and a block west. There was also a diner on the other side and a gas station on one of the corners there........Also worked on the first take out pizza joint on the corner of New York and Main called, I think, Vincent's. It is still there and still selling slices to folks waiting for the bus.

All this recollectin' will cause me to have a headache for a week. Nah, I'm only kiddin' around......

kozel
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/08/22 18:57:01 (permalink)
One bit of Huntington trivia. There's a 'diner' on Main St called the Golden Dolphin. It's a very popular place. There's also a pub on New York Ave call Canterbury Ales and it too is a popular place. The author of the comic strip called 'The Lockhorns' is a Huntington resident and every so often the strip features these or other Huntington institutions.
Scott_R
Cheeseburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/08/27 22:16:58 (permalink)
Working on a review for Sweet & Spicy Caribbean in Amityville. I decided that I just *had* to go back and get a photo of a second food item (which, of course, means eating it), and maybe jot down some menu details. First item added (i.e., photo'd): ackee and codfish. I'm debating what to have next. Curried goat, oxtail, jerk chicken....

Come on, people! I'm as nostalgic as the next guy, but how about some good Roadfood places on LI we can visit now! Heck, if you don't want to post a full review, just mention some names so that maybe I can write it up!

You know, it's unfortunate: from my understanding of what "roadfood" is, it excludes two of my favorite places: Minami Japanese Restaurant in Massapequa (best sushi I've had), and Tiny Thai in Farmingdale, the closest replacement I've found to the shut-down Chaophaya in Lindenhurst. It drives me crazy that Minami isn't a tenth as crowded as the much-inferior Tai Show Japanese.

Or do I add those under "gourmet"?
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/08/28 10:04:44 (permalink)
Here is a place that I am working on, Flo's Lunchonette, which has been there for as long as I can remember!...just need a few more pictures. The web site is not too informative...

http://www.flosbluepoint.com/
Scott_R
Cheeseburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/08/28 10:31:15 (permalink)
OK, but how much of this fits the definition of "Roadfood": "It is sleeves-up food made by cooks, bakers, pitmasters, and sandwich-makers who are America’s culinary folk artists. Roadfood is almost always informal and inexpensive; and the best Roadfood restaurants are colorful places enjoyed by locals (and savvy travelers) for their character as well as their menu."

Many of the places mentioned sound like regular restaurants... if places like Minami and Tiny Thai don't qualify for inclusion in the formal reviews, would any of the places mentioned?

I believe I mentioned my two visits to Ray-Noor's cabin. First time it was fabulous; the second, it was, "huh, why'd I want to come back here?"
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7836
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/08/28 10:46:22 (permalink)
quote:

OK, but how much of this fits the definition of "Roadfood": "It is sleeves-up food made by cooks, bakers, pitmasters, and sandwich-makers who are America’s culinary folk artists. Roadfood is almost always informal and inexpensive; and the best Roadfood restaurants are colorful places enjoyed by locals (and savvy travelers) for their character as well as their menu."

Many of the places mentioned sound like regular restaurants... if places like Minami and Tiny Thai don't qualify for inclusion in the formal reviews, would any of the places mentioned?

I believe I mentioned my two visits to Ray-Noor's cabin. First time it was fabulous; the second, it was, "huh, why'd I want to come back here?"

Not on the topic of Long Island, but I believe that anything regional that is not traditionally casual DEFINETELY fits into the definition of roadfood. A perfect example of this would be Joe's Stone Crab in Miami Beach.

A perfect example of what is not traditionally casual would be Iowa Pork Chops served in an "upscale, we are so embarrassed and ashamed of our rural and agricultural past and we wanna be like New York City Steakhouse" as opposed to a traditional country cafe which as we know is a dying breed.
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/08/28 15:24:27 (permalink)
quote:
Come on, people! I'm as nostalgic as the next guy, but how about some good Roadfood places on LI we can visit now! Heck, if you don't want to post a full review, just mention some names so that maybe I can write it up!

I've been looking into a place in Wyndanch for jerk chicken. It's been mentioned on Chowhounds a few times. It's the Village Deli at 1513 Straight Path run by a guy named Phil Clarke. I hope to get the opportunity to try it soon.

quote:
You know, it's unfortunate: from my understanding of what "roadfood" is, it excludes two of my favorite places: Minami Japanese Restaurant in Massapequa (best sushi I've had), and Tiny Thai in Farmingdale, the closest replacement I've found to the shut-down Chaophaya in Lindenhurst. It drives me crazy that Minami isn't a tenth as crowded as the much-inferior Tai Show Japanese.

Or do I add those under "gourmet"?

I've always been confused about the places listed here. My 'favorites' include Durgin Park and Peter Luger's; but I would not consider them Roadfood. Maybe we should celebrate non-chain food and just accept 'Roadfood' as a misnomer and discuss all places that are worthy.

I'm stumped by the lack of LI places listed here. I'd guess LI has more shore line than Connecticut and we have zero seafood places listed. What's wrong with LI, why is there such a vacuum?
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7836
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/08/28 16:10:43 (permalink)
quote:
I've always been confused about the places listed here. My 'favorites' include Durgin Park and Peter Luger's; but I would not consider them Roadfood. Maybe we should celebrate non-chain food and just accept 'Roadfood' as a misnomer and discuss all places that are worthy.

Kozel, to me anything regional is considered Road Food.

Durgin Park is about as regional as you get, therefore it is true roadfood.

I'm not going to refer back to my previous rant thread, however I have noticed that many people think that an influx of a few immigrants that have moved to their respective areas and have opened up a few restaurants are therefore deemed Road Food. Ethnic food, yes,regional road food, no. I've lived all over and have therefore put things into perspective.
There are some people in fargo who think that because there are a few mexican immigrants that have moved in that there city now has a large concentration of Mexicans, or that the few vietnamse that have moved to Albuquerque now makes Albuquerque the new Ho Chi Minh City of the USA. This is so untrue. Perfect example was that when I lived in Seattle, many locals thought that Seattle had a high concentration of Italian Folks. Well, unless they secretly changed theire names to Thor and Lars, then this couldn't have been further from the truth. Here in Rhode Island my coworkers couldn't undertand why I thought that Rhode Island doesn't have any Jewish people " well, truth of the matter is there aren't any. 15,000 jewish people in a metro area of one million compises about 1 1/2% on the flipside in the NYC area a population of 2 million in a metro population of 20 million comprises about 10%
Scott_R
Cheeseburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2005/08/30 20:49:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

Kozel, to me anything regional is considered Road Food.

Durgin Park is about as regional as you get, therefore it is true roadfood.

What do you mean by "anything regional"? A place that only exists in a particular region? If so, that's an incredibly broad definition. I had the impression that the place had to have a particular character to it, also.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 13
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1