Hot!Long Island , NY

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 13
Author
Pigiron
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1384
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/01/12 22:20:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scott_R

Just passed by Ray-Noor's; they've closed. Another Ayhaan's Shish-Kebob is moving in.

Wow, I think they have been there since the 1930's! DAMN! The food was never spectacular, but really good and amazingly consistent. What a shame.

That's some nice real estate they're on. Glad it's not going to another Applebee's or some such nonsense.
PaulBPool
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 278
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/01/13 11:21:20 (permalink)
ALL AMERICAN TO CLOSE!
A reliable source, who attends most of the Town/Village Board meetings, has informed me that All American Burger in Massapequa will be closing in the next few months.
According to this person, the original owners sold the property and business about three years ago, to someone named "Marshall". This would explain the change of the Carvel Stand to "Marshall's Ice Cream Bar" about a year ago.
The original All American Owners have continued to operate the burger stand on a lease agreement since they sold. However, the Marshall family has apparently sold the property and the business to a developer/franchiser who is going to put a Wendy's on the site.
Those of us who have enjoyed the amazing fries and 50's style roadfood burgers will miss this place terribly.
I sincerely hope that for once in my life, a well informed source is wrong!
Pigiron
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1384
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/01/13 12:22:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by PaulBPool

ALL AMERICAN TO CLOSE!
A reliable source, who attends most of the Town/Village Board meetings, has informed me that All American Burger in Massapequa will be closing in the next few months.
According to this person, the original owners sold the property and business about three years ago, to someone named "Marshall". This would explain the change of the Carvel Stand to "Marshall's Ice Cream Bar" about a year ago.
The original All American Owners have continued to operate the burger stand on a lease agreement since they sold. However, the Marshall family has apparently sold the property and the business to a developer/franchiser who is going to put a Wendy's on the site.
Those of us who have enjoyed the amazing fries and 50's style roadfood burgers will miss this place terribly.

If this is true, it's about 10,000 times worse than Ray-Norrs closing. All American Burgers is so much more than a restaurant. It's part of the fabric of Long Island. Who the hell needs another Wendy's with their garbage food???? The malling of America is geting worse and worse. I really hope this isn't true.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3748
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/01/13 12:43:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Pigiron

If this is true, it's about 10,000 times worse than Ray-Norrs closing. All American Burgers is so much more than a restaurant. It's part of the fabric of Long Island. Who the hell needs another Wendy's with their garbage food???? The malling of America is geting worse and worse. I really hope this isn't true.

Once again, in true Long Island fashion, I am reminded of a song by Billy Joel -- "No Man's Land." It was off his final "real" album -- from about a dozen years ago, "River of Dreams." The funny part is how he laments the changes from his youth to that present day -- and how much still things have changed since 1993 is astonishing. You would think that Long Island had reached maximum density some time ago.

quote:
I've seen those big machines come rolling through the quiet pines
Blue suits and bankers with their Volvos and their valentines
Give us this day our daily discount outlet merchandise
Raise up a multiplex and we will make a sacrifice
Now we're gonna get the big business
Now we're gonna get the real thing
Everybody's all excited about it

Who remembers when it all began
Out here in no man's land
Before they passed the master plan
Low supply and high demand
Here in no man's land

There ain't much work out here in our consumer power base
No major industry, just miles and miles of parking space
This morning's paper says our neighbor's in a cocaine bust
Lots more to read about Lolita and suburban lust
Now we're gonna get the whole story
Now we're gonna be in prime time
Everybody's all excited about it

We've just begun to understand
Here in no man's land

I see these children with their boredom and their vacant stares
God help us all if we're to blame for their unanswered prayers
They roll the sidewalks up at night, this place goes underground
Thanks to the condo kings there's cable now in Zombietown
Now we're gonna get the closed circuit
Now we're gonna get the Top 40
Now we're gonna get the sports franchise
Now we're gonna get the major attractions

Before the whole world was in our hands
Before the banners and the marching bands
Here in no man's land

I liked All-American and would miss it if this is true. Maybe they can hold out long enough for me to get there one more time before they close.

If anyone can post more information about this as it becomes available, this former LIer would be grateful.

Steve

Scott_R
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 127
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/01/13 13:02:35 (permalink)
quote:

ALL AMERICAN TO CLOSE!

I called Wendy's and spoke to their real estate department; they said they had no record for such a forthcoming location (if it's a purchase by a franchisee, though, such information takes longer to be entered).

I called All-American, and they said the rumor was not true, and they planned to be there for many more years.

I also called the Town of Oyster Bay. The Planning Department heard nothing of the sort, and transferred me to Public Information. They'd also heard nothing about it, but promised to poke around to see what they could discover.
PaulBPool
Cheeseburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/01/13 13:38:26 (permalink)
Folks, I didn't post what I did to panic anyone - as I said, it was from a source I'd consider quite reliable, someone I've known a long time. I am trying to get third party verification as well, I am hoping with all my heart that my source is wrong on this one!
Scott_R
Cheeseburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/01/13 15:13:15 (permalink)
Further: my inside source at the Nassau County Dep't of Health hasn't heard anything about this.
Scott_R
Cheeseburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/01/13 15:37:25 (permalink)
And last... the Town of Oyster Bay Public Information Dep't called back. They said there's no truth to the rumor. Marshall's is owed by a family member, not some outside group. Apparently, there are annual rumors of this sort around this time of the year.
PaulBPool
Cheeseburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/01/13 16:16:13 (permalink)
Thanks for the great "Columbo" work Scott. I'll give my source 50 lashes with a wet noodle - and give myself 25 for posting it!
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/01/13 16:56:49 (permalink)
quote:

And last... the Town of Oyster Bay Public Information Dep't called back. They said there's no truth to the rumor. Marshall's is owed by a family member, not some outside group. Apparently, there are annual rumors of this sort around this time of the year.

Thanks for the investigative work Scott. Glad to hear they are still kicking. My kids haven't had a chance to enjoy it as I did all these years!!
berniejellig
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/01/21 19:59:53 (permalink)
I remember Carl Hopples, only the one in Baldwin. My cousin had her christening party there in 1959.
You mentioned Raynors. I ate there as a kid back in the '60s. I just passed it the other day on the LIRR and sadly to say it's gone, taken over.
I was wondering if anyone had any info or memories of the old South Shore Inn. I know it's long gone. I remember it so well. My father introduced me to many culinary delights there. My wife and I just got home from dinner - $70.00 for the two of us. I can't remember what my dad paid for the four of us in the early '60s.
quote:
Originally posted by kozel

quote:
Originally posted by the ancient mariner

kozel ---- nope it was not Carl Hopple's which was on Sunrise Hgy in Baldwin

The place I'm thinking of is on the southside of Jericho east of Guniea Woods Rd and set back off the road. That was Carl Hopple's when I ate there over 30 years ago and it had a great bar, prime rib and popovers. Now it is Westbury Manor and part of the Scotto Bros emipre. I attended a wedding there about 5 years ago and it brought back memories. Here is a link and note they refer to it as Guniea Woods Rd. That sign for exit 39 on the LIE has long been changed.

http://www.scottobrothers.com/westbury.cfm?fuseaction=directions

The place in Centerport where Raynor's was is now the Centerport post office. I've been there too, but their place on Sunrise is a Long Island classic; but I've never been there. I'd hoped a parton of that place would comment.

Mariner's Inn in Nortport gone for over 20 years. Sorry.

As long as you are touting Milleridge Inn, how about the Maine Maid Inn that is nearby and their building is said to be even older?

BTW, who are you calling 'Not Under-Nourished'? Guess you're not local any more?
Scott_R
Cheeseburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/01/21 23:44:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by berniejellig

I remember Carl Hopples, only the one in Baldwin. My cousin had her christening party there in 1959.
You mentioned Raynors. I ate there as a kid back in the '60s. I just passed it the other day on the LIRR and sadly to say it's gone, taken over.
I was wondering if anyone had any info or memories of the old South Shore Inn. I know it's long gone. I remember it so well. My father introduced me to many culinary delights there. My wife and I just got home from dinner - $70.00 for the two of us. I can't remember what my dad paid for the four of us in the early '60s.

But what was your father's INCOME in the early '60s, compared to yours now? Sure, a dollar went further back then, but it was much harder to get that dollar in the first place.

I only went to Ray-Noors twice; excellent the first time, and the second, I wondered what I saw in it the first.
Maddog
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/01/23 13:54:42 (permalink)
Thanks to several for the tip off on Jordan's Lobster Farm in Island Park! I LOVE Lobster rolls...didn't know that they had them in Nassau Cty. Keyspan Energy's Barrett Station is a customer of mine, so I'll have to try them when I get up that way again. Before someone recommends Rebecca Charles "Pearl Oyster Bar" on Cornelius St.in the West Village for Lobster rolls...I do know about it. Pricey...but the biggest Lobster roll I've ever had and excellent as well!

I think it's weird that LI never developed ONE cult favorite for hotdogs, hamburgers, or pizza. I grew up in North Jersey and there were many such places there...enough to start some serious arguments.
Scott_R
Cheeseburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/01/31 17:38:04 (permalink)
Well to add to the confusion, ANOTHER source says All American's property was sold for a ridiculous amount, but that's from the owner of a nearby restaurant. Repeating a rumor? Who knows. Supposedly, the All American owners were offered some ridiculous amount of money.
rocket88
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/02/01 00:38:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by the ancient mariner

There were a bunch of letters from the food magazines posted in the lobby asking for the marinade recipe. They were all turned down.

I actually have the recipe of the marinade. A guy that worked there owed my brother a favor.
Scottow
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/02/02 16:47:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MacTAC

quote:
Originally posted by Scottow

And Hilldebrant's on Hillside Avenue in Williston Park (where I lived till '56) was a favorite, too. Ah, the memories!
I remember never being taken to Hamburger Choo Choo, but really enjoyed and miss Linck's. Can't help you with the CSH restaurant. At least Hildebrandts is still there and still good.
Scottow
Junior Burger
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/02/02 16:59:27 (permalink)
The Ancient Mariner - Sorry for the l-o-n-g delay getting back!

Hamburger Choo Choo: Interesting that you mentioned the nearby Italian pizza place on the corner of New York Ave. and Main Street. I'm not sure if it was Vincent's or not but I do remember going there with my family as a kid after watching a movie at the Huntington Theater just across and up the avenue. (Also, cool that you were involved in the construction of the HCC.)

I think the name of that cave-like restaurant near The Moorings in Cold Spring Harbor was NEPTUNE CAVES.

Thanks for the confirmation on Lincks and the Meyers family. As to that story on the "reservations" at Linck's - our home phone number was one digit off Western Union. Once during dinner my brother (who sat closest to the phone in the kitchen) got so pissed off when a W.U. customer insisted that - on her third wrong number call to us - that she'd NOT made a mistake in dialing, that he went ahead and took the telegram. My parents didn't think much of that and made him call W.U. to apologize.

Scottow
Scottow
Junior Burger
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/02/02 17:02:01 (permalink)
MacTAC,
My apologies to you as well for the long delay to say thanks....Glad to here Hildebrant's is still as good as ever! I was back a couple of years ago and - aside from the prices - not much has changed!
Scottow
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/02/02 17:45:06 (permalink)
quote:

The Ancient Mariner - Sorry for the l-o-n-g delay getting back!

Hamburger Choo Choo: Interesting that you mentioned the nearby Italian pizza place on the corner of New York Ave. and Main Street. I'm not sure if it was Vincent's or not but I do remember going there with my family as a kid after watching a movie at the Huntington Theater just across and up the avenue. (Also, cool that you were involved in the construction of the HCC.)

I think Vincents is right...they used to be open late and we would always hit it during our weekly bar tour of Huntington.

There was also a Hamburger Choo Choo in Bayshore, right on Main Street toward the west end of town. I loved their neon choo choo! Bayshore was quite a town back then.
Richard Mackiewicz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 25
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/02/02 17:47:47 (permalink)
Since this seems to be a trip down Memory Lane,and being that I grew up in Great Neck during the 60's let me add some stuff. On Northern Blvd there was a lot of great places. In Little Neck there was Harvey's Drive In,a great place to go after playing Miniture golf across the street. Going North there was the ol' Scobbi Grill Diner,a true Roadfood place if there ever was one. Best time was after the bars closed for Cheeseburgers, REAL Onion Rings,and FF w/ gravy. Around the corner was Peter Luger's 2cd. location. Therw was a Howard Johnson near there too. Two other great places on Northern Blvd. in Manhasset and Port Washington = Wetson's. At that time it was my fav Burger Drive in. A little off on Northern Blvd. in Port Washington was Louie's Seafood Restarant, the one place that is still there that has gone to hell by going "upscale". This was a super place to get basic seafood so well done. Huge Lobster Tails, fantastic steamers, great fish dishes, super quality and great service. A great place to get a out of sight "Fisherman's Platter". Alas, w/ remodeling and a change of menu I cannot recommend it, even to someone named Fido.
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/02/02 21:22:11 (permalink)
quote:

MacTAC,
My apologies to you as well for the long delay to say thanks...
No problem. Neptune's Cave really rings a bell. Thanks for that!
Scott_R
Cheeseburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/02/07 17:31:49 (permalink)
Say, anyone know a good place for breakfast on Long Island? I know about Mundy's in Huntington and Maureen's Kitchen in Smithtown, but they're about 45 minutes away, and I don't think I'm going to drive up there from the South Shore for breakfast. Any good locations close to the South Shore, +/- from the Nassau/Suffolk border? I don't mean typical diner stuff.

To elaborate: I'm not a big pastry or plain bagel breakfast type--call it a remnant from doing Atkins a half-dozen years ago, but I like something a little more rounded. Even (really good) French toast is fine, or a killer omelet. Actually, I don't do doughnuts/pastries for breakfast at all--not a big sweets eater, and to the extent I do, I consider them dessert.

BTW, not to contradict the last paragraph above, but I recently tried the American Waffle House in Seaford, and was quite disappointed. From the name, I was expecting a menu full of different sorts of waffles. Turns out, not. Basically, just one type, available with different sides. It's a diner.
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/02/08 11:20:28 (permalink)
quote:

Say, anyone know a good place for breakfast on Long Island? I know about Mundy's in Huntington and Maureen's Kitchen in Smithtown, but they're about 45 minutes away, and I don't think I'm going to drive up there from the South Shore for breakfast. Any good locations close to the South Shore, +/- from the Nassau/Suffolk border? I don't mean typical diner stuff.
I'm rushing out right now, but I hear good things about Mary Bill diner, Merrick, I think. Don't think it's TYPICAL diner, but I've never eaten there. Any other ideas and I will post when I'm back to the Mac...
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7768
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/02/08 18:08:28 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

I'm rushing out right now, but I hear good things about Mary Bill diner, Merrick, I think. Don't think it's TYPICAL diner, but I've never eaten there. Any other ideas and I will post when I'm back to the Mac...

I grew up in Merrick, however I never made it to the Marybill Diner. Probably because we always went to the East Bay Diner in Bellmore. I even remember going there after my pre school graduation in 1970 and that was eon's ago!

I called an old friend of mine that I grew up with who now lives in New Jersey. He had nothing but high praises for the Marybill. He still goes there for breakfast whenever he is back in town. Same owners since at least the early 1970's too. Looking forward to the review.
hilldweller
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 168
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/02/08 18:47:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew
I grew up in Merrick, however I never made it to the Marybill Diner. Probably because we always went to the East Bay Diner in Bellmore. I even remember going there after my pre school graduation in 1970 and that was eon's ago!

Er, ahem, isn't that the Grease Bay Diner?

quote:
I called an old friend of mine that I grew up with who now lives in New Jersey. He had nothing but high praises for the Marybill. He still goes there for breakfast whenever he is back in town. Same owners since at least the early 1970's too. Looking forward to the review.

I remember when the Marybill was a gleaming stainless steel diner before they put that hideous false front over it (in the 70's? or 80's?) Of course I didn't really appreciate its stainless diner beauty back then when I was a kid, but whenever it was that they covered it up I think that I was aware that it wasn't an improvement. And I don't think I ever ate in there either (my parents didn't do diners, especially a stainless steel "dive" next to the railroad tracks!)

quote:
...the MaryBill Diner in Merrick....was built in 1948-49 by Silk City Diners/Paterson Vehicle Company of Paterson, N.J.

Here's hoping that the original diner exterior is largely preserved underneath and will someday be resurrected.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7768
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/02/08 19:19:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by hilldweller

Er, ahem, isn't that the Grease Bay Diner?
I remember when the Marybill was a gleaming stainless steel diner before they put that hideous false front over it (in the 70's? or 80's?) Of course I didn't really appreciate its stainless diner beauty back then when I was a kid, but whenever it was that they covered it up I think that I was aware that it wasn't an improvement. And I don't think I ever ate in there either (my parents didn't do diners, especially a stainless steel "dive" next to the railroad tracks!)

The Grease Bay Diner- Yumm. I remember the Spinach Feta Omelette with Hash Browns and I would always get a bagel on the side. Then there was the infamous Chinese Garlic Roast Pork Sandwich, or something like that which I never tried and probably never will.

I was discussing the renovations when I called my friend this afternoon. I believe they took place after I moved away (to Levittown) in 1985. It is my understanding that the original exterior was rusting away and that's why they renovated it, but then again, who knows?
Scott_R
Cheeseburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/02/09 22:54:48 (permalink)
quote:

What is there about their breakfast? For example, I've heard things about Maureen's Kitchen's orange or blueberry pancakes, and the mushroom, jalapeno, and pepper jack cheese omelet. If I have free time in the morning, I want to bestir myself for something good.
paklink1200
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/03/20 08:13:21 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

ALL AMERICAN TO CLOSE!

paklink1200
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/03/20 08:14:37 (permalink)
It is only a rumour. They have no intentions of selling the property or business.
quote:

quote:

ALL AMERICAN TO CLOSE!

Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/03/20 08:25:04 (permalink)
I also read this on another news link this AM, that it is in fact a rumor. The owner stated that they have been in business for 43 years and plans for another 43 years. Good luck to them. Chow Jim
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 13
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1