Hot!Long Island , NY

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 13
Author
Pigiron
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1384
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/03/20 23:57:14 (permalink)
--------------------
Getting grilled over hot rumor
--------------------

BY SHAWNA VANNESS
SPECIAL TO NEWSDAY

March 19, 2006

All-out burger panic has flipped out Long Islanders near and far the past few weeks as word spread that Massapequa's beloved All American Hamburger Drive-In is shutting down - with the longtime family business supposedly being sold to a fast-food giant.

"We're not going anywhere," said a somewhat exasperated Phil Vultaggio, 51, who owns the old-fashioned burger joint on Merrick Road with his brother, Bill. "We've been in business for 43 years and we'll be here another 43 years."

Wendy's, McDonald's, Kentucky Fried Chicken ... the Vultaggios have heard a host of buyout scenarios being spun on the rumor mill. So have a lot of other people.

Hundreds of patrons crammed their cars into All American's crowded lot yesterday and dutifully waited in line to order $2.10 "double double" burgers, thick shakes and homemade French fries. As the heavy aroma of grilled beef and toasted sesame buns wafted through the air, many said they feared this order would be their last.

"I heard it from kids in the neighborhood," said Jay McCorry, 50, who lives in Massapequa. The tree serviceman remembered savoring his first foil-wrapped All American hamburger for 10 cents on the day Phil and Bill's father opened the place in 1963.

"I heard it an hour ago," said Dave Pope, 23, a student from West Islip.

Other rumors of All American shutting down have surfaced over the years, the Vultaggios said, but none has been as widespread as this one. They suspect the story began brewing last summer when their sister changed the name of the family's ice cream business - located right next door - from Carvel to Marshall's Ice Cream Bar. That Carvel was one of the Island's first.

Then, beginning a few years ago, the family started closing both businesses between Christmas and New Year's to vacation in Florida.

All of a sudden, "Schools are calling, kids are crying ... people are talking about starting petitions," said Bill Vultaggio, 56, as workers lined the grill with fat beef patties before the lunchtime rush. "People are calling from all over the country."

Barraged by panicked questions from patrons at the counter a month ago, the Vultaggios posted signs on all the windows dispelling the myth. Shortly after, a calming message was posted on their Web site, www.allamericanhamburger.us. But nothing silenced the talk.

"It's a big distraction," Phil said of an estimated 100-plus daily phone calls and questions from customers.

"I couldn't believe it," said Pat Mammes, 51, who's been a twice-a-month patron for 35 years. A supplier at his mechanic shop in Rockaway Beach dropped the news (the Wendy's version) on him last week.

"We were so upset," said Eileen Lishansky, 48, of Oneonta, as she snapped photos of the packed waiting area. Lishansky heard the rumors upstate and rushed back to her hometown to visit daughter Katie, 19, at Hofstra University and stock up on what she thought would be her family's last stash of All American burgers for the freezer.

"This is way out of hand," said Phil, who met his wife, Brema, in high school when his father hired her as a cashier. Now their four children work the counter. "You pour your heart and soul into the business and all the sudden people are saying you sold out."

Yesterday, the assurance that the rumors are just that - rumors - seemed to settle avid All American fans' nervous stomachs.

"It's a legend," a relieved Lishansky said after reading the posted signs. "A Long Island legend."

Copyright (c) 2006, Newsday, Inc.
paklink1200
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/03/21 05:59:15 (permalink)
The Merrick Townhouse Diner did sell out to a strip mall less than 2 months ago and Kings on Merrick Rd. (used to be Velvet Green Nursery) just closed their doors and sold to the giant CVS. Another sad place that has left Bellmore is Al's shoe repair and the little house (the last one on Merrick Road) has sold out to another strip mall-going to be small. I guess shoe repairs aren't what they used to be.
hilldweller
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 168
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/03/21 09:56:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by paklink1200

Kings on Merrick Rd. (used to be Velvet Green Nursery) just closed their doors and sold to the giant CVS.

Wow, Kings gave up on Merrick? That building was originally developed as a Loehmann's before Kings moved in, wasn't it?
paklink1200
Junior Burger
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/03/21 10:10:06 (permalink)
Actually it was Velvet Green first. Then it changed to Rotunno's Nursery-same family just change of names. Then a developer bought it and changed it to Loehmans. Slowly everything is changing. There is still some marsh grass in the back which I do believe the DEC has control over.
DanL
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/03/24 23:49:44 (permalink)
Hi Ancient Mariner,

I fondly remember Linck's Log Cabin. I grew up in Huntington and my family would go to Linck's on special occasions in the seventies. I can still remember the dark interior and I swear I can remember the disctinct scent inside. It was a sad day when the restaurant burned down. I graduated from Huntington High in 1983 and unfortunately have only been back to Long Island a few times since. Does anyone know what became of the Linck's site?

You also mentioned a Chinese restaurant on Jericho Turnpike that in another post that I believe was called Mei Ting.

Thanks for bringing back some good memories,

Dan
paklink1200
Junior Burger
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/03/25 05:54:39 (permalink)
I've been in Bellmore for 48 years and I do not remember Linck's Log Cabin. Does anyone else? Where was it located in Bellmore? The only thing I could remember close to that was Ray Nor's on sunrise highway which looked like a log cabin.
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3987
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/03/25 07:14:35 (permalink)
Linck's was in Centerport just outside of Huntington on Route 25A.
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/03/25 07:28:10 (permalink)
DanL

The last I knew the Linck's property was still empty. I will be on Loooong Island in June and will look it up for you, unless someone else responds before then. Mai Ting's was sold, torn down and replaced by a CVS---we really needed another one there. Darn shame. Besides that I read that the Townhouse owners want to tear it down and turn that site into a condo. THe Red Lobster just northeast of the Townhouse is now a car dealership. The entire Jericho Turnpike corridor is changing daily. Speaking of which The Forest Pork Store is still going strong-------the best German meat market on LI, maybe in the USA. People come from far and wide for the bestest wurst to be found. I was there not long ago and a woman from Pa was there to stock up for the winter. Oh boy is dem good knocks and brats. Auf Vee-der-sane !!!!!!
nyappraiser
Junior Burger
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/03/25 07:33:27 (permalink)
Speaking of Ray Nor's, I hadn't been down in that are for a while and I was surprised to see they are gone. An Ahans shiskabob place is coming at that location. Thankfully, further down the road Bigelow's is still at their corner. Awesome!

Breakfast at the Pantry Diner in RVC was typical LI diner fare.
Scott_R
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 127
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/03/25 11:07:59 (permalink)
The latest:
Had breakfast a few times at Rebecca's Cafe in Amityville. I like it there. They do sometimes do breakfast specials--banana nut pancakes, stuffed French toast, as well as something that sounds amazingly filling (a breakfast wrap, which is pancakes wrapped around sausage and bacon, plus other items inside that I can't remember offhand). Way too much for me for breakfast (and I don't eat pork), but interesting. I usually get an omelet and home fries; I'm not usually a home fries eater, but I like theirs--not oily, and with crispy bits. Mmmm. Crispy bits.

For those who know Brownstone's Coffee in Amityville, they're going takeout-only. The area with the tables is being walled off for the offices to their catering business. A shame. I make damned good coffee (better than pretty much any place); the reason I have it out is to sit there with my laptop and write as I drink an Americano. Without that, there's no reason for me to go there.

Went to Fonda Coyoacan in Huntington and was impressed. A slightly amusing story:
I was looking over the menu, as well as the whiteboard of specials. The specials were all in Spanish, and I speak, essentially, none. Still, I recognized most of the items, but I asked the guy (an owner?) for a description of what was there. Though I didn't say so, I was particularly interested in the last item on the menu; it looked familiar, but I wasn't sure. He went through the items, but, oddly, skipped the item I wanted to know about (again, I hadn't specified). So I asked, "and what about that item there? The last one?" He seemed reluctant to answer, and finally said "it's like a mushroom."

Ah-ha! I knew what it was. Huitlacoche. Well, yes, it said that, but now I knew it was what I thought it was. I ordered it. As they were starting to prepare it, I remarked that I'd heard about corn fungus but had never had the chance to try it. Now that he realized I actually knew what it was, his reaction was twofold: surprise that I knew what it was and would order it, and, it seemed, a degree of pleasure. Now he started to talk about it and how hard it was to find.

Anyway, I sat at a table with some tortilla chips and their homemade green sauce and red sauce (one day, I'll look up the difference between salsa, pico de gallo, and all that). Very tasty, as was the main course.

The place is located at 1026 New York Avenue. If you go north on NY Ave, go past the RR tracks. There's a big parking lot on the west side of the road; Fonda Coyoacan is across the street of the northern-most end of the lot. Chances are you'll zoom right past it, but make a right at the light (the first light before the road forks); there's a parking lot there, and the restaurant is a few dozen feet away.

When I get a few chances to return (and have something better than my crappy cellphone camera), I'll write a review.
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 837
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/03/25 11:14:46 (permalink)
The Linck's property has been condos from some time. Further east what was briefly a Ray Nor's some years ago is now the post office. A little more east was Al Dowd's Steak house, also gone. And about Forest Pork store, while the Huntington location is thriving, the original on Forest Ave in Ridgewood has been scaled back in recent years. Now if we can just get Liederkranz back!
Scott_R
Cheeseburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/03/29 23:05:40 (permalink)
Review for Fonda Coyoacan in Huntington is up.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=3597
Scott_R
Cheeseburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/04/09 19:57:42 (permalink)
Interesting note: All-American made AOL CIty Guide's "15 Burgers to Try Before You Die" list, topping it at *#1*. It beat Peter Luger (#9) and In-N-Out Burger (#6)

< http://cityguide.aol.com/newyork/burgers-to-die-for/>

BTW, Poppa Rick's BBQ might be having some trouble. From what I heard, the owner was scouting alternate locations in the Huntington area, perhaps connected to legal troubles he was having with the Town of Oyster Bay. I'll see if I can swing by to find out.
hilldweller
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 168
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/04/09 20:40:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scott_R

Interesting note: All-American made AOL CIty Guide's "15 Burgers to Try Before You Die" list, topping it at *#1*. It beat Peter Luger (#9) and In-N-Out Burger (#6)

< http://cityguide.aol.com/newyork/burgers-to-die-for/>

The review says:
quote:
You'd expect a Massapequa institution to be housed in an imposing, grandiose structure, so when you actually catch a glimpse of All American Hamburger, you may do a double take.

This is a very strange comment.

What, is Merrick Road the Rodeo Drive and Massapequa the Beverly Hills of Long Island?

Scott_R
Cheeseburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/04/09 21:04:50 (permalink)
FWIW, I find the site's rankings very strange. For LI Coffeehouses, they don't even mention Babylon Bean, which is head and shoulders above Classy Coffee or Milk and Sugar Cafe (which once gave me a 8 ounce double espresso).
Elvis1209
Junior Burger
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/04/09 21:15:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by the ancient mariner

Well you have got me thinking now------there were lots of great restaurants on LI that have disappeared with "progress". Not roadfood but places for dates and special occasions.

-Patricia Murphy's in Manhasset----loved their popovers.
-Gil Clarks in Bay Shore--come by car or boat-----great lobster
-Karl's Mariners Inn, right on the water in Northport--they might still
be there
-The Sunrise Village--Great German food and entertainment--John Wile (?)
was great
-Geide's in Centerport (opposite Linck's) wonderful duck
-The San Souci in Bethpage, next to Grummans --- for gourmets
-Guy Lombardo's in Freeport---orchestra leader/speedboat
racer/restauranteur
-Trying to remember the place in Westbury on Jericho Turnpike at Guinea
Woods Road----I think it was owned by Howard Johnson---great drinks and
prime ribs and popovers
-Speaking of Howard Johnson. We drove from Ronkonkoma to Valley Stream
in someone's old clunker---about 6 guys---just because they had 54
flavors of ice cream. It must have taken an hour each way. And then
one of my buddies ordered vanilla. He has never lived it down.
-There was a place on Jericho Turnpike in Huntington called Leo Girards-
"All the chicken you can eat $2.00"--18 of us guys (big 19-20 year old
football players) stopped there one Sunday evening after playing
Huntington to a 6-6 tie. Eighteen 200 pound starving guys ate all the
chicken in the place. Leo had to close down for the night.

There were more--you gentlemen might think of some I have skipped. Long Island was a great place to live ---- oh yea, how about the Milleridge Inn in Jericho---still going strong after about 100 years or so.

The place in Westbury I think was the Red Coach Grill. My parents took me there for my 16th birthday
Scott_R
Cheeseburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/04/25 14:49:12 (permalink)
Anyone know when Flo's Luncheonette in Blue Point opens? Their website doesn't say anything about the spring opening. (Geez, what's the point of having a web site if it basically has no information?)

< http://www.flosbluepoint.com/>
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/04/25 19:25:40 (permalink)
quote:

Anyone know when Flo's Luncheonette in Blue Point opens? Their website doesn't say anything about the spring opening. (Geez, what's the point of having a web site if it basically has no information?)

< http://www.flosbluepoint.com/>

I am working on a house about two miles from there...I'll try to take a drive by in the next couple of days to see if there is a sign.

Stay tuned.
Scott_R
Cheeseburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/04/25 20:25:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tony Bad
[br

I am working on a house about two miles from there...I'll try to take a drive by in the next couple of days to see if there is a sign.

Stay tuned.

Thanks. BTW, Poppa Rick's BBQ is, indeed, closed.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/04/29 19:51:56 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Tony Bad
[br

Stay tuned.

Thanks. BTW, Poppa Rick's BBQ is, indeed, closed.

Sorry to hear about Poppa Rick's.

Flo's in Blue Point looked all quiet. No sign of life and no sign. The wind was coming off the 47 degree water and it was COLD!

I'll keep checking and be sure to let you know.
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 429
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/04/29 21:51:39 (permalink)
I just posted this under Mexican/Fish Tacos and thought it should be here also.

Excellent Fish Tacos as well as Burritos and more at Pinata's on Rte. 107, Bethpage on Long Island, NY. Everything cooked fresh...
rongmtek
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 503
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/04/30 10:11:55 (permalink)
BACK TO THE PAST:
I was born (in Mineola) and bred (in New Hyde Park) on LI, and really enjoyed everyone's postings. I remember many of the long-gone places named, but I was surprised that nobody mentioned EDDIE'S PIZZA, still going strong on Hillside Avenue after at least 60 years, if not more. EDDIE'S is to this day the pizza by which all other pizza is judged for an awful lot of people who grew up on LI.
I won't bother describing the pizza- either you know it & love it, or you don't. EDDIE'S was also a true neighborhood bar & grill, where you could always find people you knew hanging out. I knew many generations of different owners who all kept the same "chef", Hugo. Hugo was a sweet-tempered, big-bellied, one-legged man who seemed to work 26 hours a day. His idea of making an antipasto platter was to stand by the fridge- one for the plate, one for me, one for the plate... and so on.
BTW- they started serving me beer when I was 13 (as long as I sat at the bar). Different times, huh? Well, I did look older than my age.
Also, nobody mentioned these old favorites:
CAMAY DINER, on Hillside Avenue about a mile farther east of Eddie's. Open all night, the 2 Greek guys who ran it (Gus & Artie) made the best "chok-o-lot mal-ted", as they pronounced it. A real greasy spoon, not too clean, but always a good place to attempt to get it together after a long night of illicit fun.
JAHNS ice cream- THE ice cream place for many, many years, the "Kitchen Sink" was about 2 gallons of ice cream, and fed a dozen or more. Another great hangout, and a post-final exam MUST for Herricks High & Mineola High kids. My mother frequented the original JAHNS growing up in Jamaica in the 30's & 40's.
In the 70s- Fearn's Harness Shop in Roslyn. Wine & cheese, and I think coke in the back if you knew the secret password. I have no proof of this, and I make no accusations, but I always suspected...
Also in the 70's: Alice's Restaurant on Northern Blvd in Great Neck. They served me beer at 15; once I got drunk there and almost left with some folks from Rhode Island who were still hard at celebrating a wedding they attended. They offered me a job and I accepted; luckily, they were too drunk to drive, so we did not leave.
And this one is not strictly Long Island, but deserves a mention: Dapper Dan's Sub shop, on Union Turnpike (in Glen Oaks? over the Queens border, anyway). Big, fresh sandwiches and if you were smart you said YES to the grilled onions, which made the sandwiches spectacular. We would always be six or more to a car (not like today's kids, who all have a car), and on cold nights if the windows were closed, the hot grilled onions would fog up the windows so you could hardly see to drive.
For a misspent youth, we sure had fun.
Anybody else remember these places?
Ron
Pepcycle
Junior Burger
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/05/18 15:42:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MacTAC

quote:

Do any of you remember the Sunrise Village on Sunrise Hgy in the Rockville Center area.
I remember passing by when I was a kid. It was Tudor-ish or Chalet-ish and I recall it as very large. When I was old enough to go on my own or got interested in going, it closed. Same with McCluskey's. Anyone remember The Ranger or The Texas Ranger in Freeport? There was a Nunley's Happyland over that way on Sunrise or Montauk Hwy. We had one by us in Levittown, (later called Smiley's Happyland) with the kiddie rides. They had a beautiful carousel, the music supplied by a hand-carved, mechanical orchestra dressed like the 18th century. It was attached to a restaurant called Jolly Roger's (As a matter of fact, when we asked to go for the rides we always asked to go to Jolly Roger's) with good food and a separate room for Birthday parties. Hand-carved sandwiches, burgers, dogs, fried foods, and ice cream. Had the relish counter for you to put on your own sauerkraut, onions etc. Later, in High School, right around the corner, we could walk over for lunch. A great place for kids that I never got to take my own kids to. Would have made a fine Roadfood stop. Replaced with a strip mall so we could have another nail salon, video store or the 20th pizzeria in the area.

I'm from Baldwin and my little league team was sponsored by Nunley's. End of the season parties and food were what we looked forward to. Real carousel where you could win a free ride by getting "the brass ring". A few blocks away was a classic "near the railroad" luncheonette called Dolly's. Now, down south, where the clamdiggers live, was a place called Mike's Harbor Inn. Right on the canal. Pool table and draft beers for a quarter. There was a restaurant on Milburn Ave, just north of Atlantic called The Swedish Towers that had a Smorgasbord. What a treat. Otto's Deli was just down the road.
Pepcycle
Junior Burger
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/05/18 15:51:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by rongmtek

BACK TO THE PAST:
I was born (in Mineola) and bred (in New Hyde Park) on LI, and really enjoyed everyone's postings. I remember many of the long-gone places named, but I was surprised that nobody mentioned EDDIE'S PIZZA, still going strong on Hillside Avenue after at least 60 years, if not more. EDDIE'S is to this day the pizza by which all other pizza is judged for an awful lot of people who grew up on LI.
I won't bother describing the pizza- either you know it & love it, or you don't. EDDIE'S was also a true neighborhood bar & grill, where you could always find people you knew hanging out. I knew many generations of different owners who all kept the same "chef", Hugo. Hugo was a sweet-tempered, big-bellied, one-legged man who seemed to work 26 hours a day. His idea of making an antipasto platter was to stand by the fridge- one for the plate, one for me, one for the plate... and so on.
BTW- they started serving me beer when I was 13 (as long as I sat at the bar). Different times, huh? Well, I did look older than my age.
CAMAY DINER, on Hillside Avenue about a mile farther east of Eddie's. Open all night, the 2 Greek guys who ran it (Gus & Artie) made the best "chok-o-lot mal-ted", as they pronounced it. A real greasy spoon, not too clean, but always a good place to attempt to get it together after a long night of illicit fun.
JAHNS ice cream- THE ice cream place for many, many years, the "Kitchen Sink" was about 2 gallons of ice cream, and fed a dozen or more. Another great hangout, and a post-final exam MUST for Herricks High & Mineola High kids. My mother frequented the original JAHNS growing up in Jamaica in the 30's & 40's.
In the 70s- Fearn's Harness Shop in Roslyn. Wine & cheese, and I think coke in the back if you knew the secret password. I have no proof of this, and I make no accusations, but I always suspected...
Also in the 70's: Alice's Restaurant on Northern Blvd in Great Neck. They served me beer at 15; once I got drunk there and almost left with some folks from Rhode Island who were still hard at celebrating a wedding they attended. They offered me a job and I accepted; luckily, they were too drunk to drive, so we did not leave.
And this one is not strictly Long Island, but deserves a mention: Dapper Dan's Sub shop, on Union Turnpike (in Glen Oaks? over the Queens border, anyway). Big, fresh sandwiches and if you were smart you said YES to the grilled onions, which made the sandwiches spectacular. We would always be six or more to a car (not like today's kids, who all have a car), and on cold nights if the windows were closed, the hot grilled onions would fog up the windows so you could hardly see to drive.
Ron

Jahn's was great. I would go to the one next to the roller rink in Levittown or the one in RVC. Kitchen Sink anyone?
dharani
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/05/18 18:32:34 (permalink)

Oooooh! Youz guyz are killin' me! Whadda blast from da past! Here I am in Prague, Czech Republic, a home sick, starved for decent food, displaced Island Gurl. Do you know what a torture this website is? ;o)

Does anyone remember The Starving Artist out in Oceanside or Island Park? That little place had good fried clams and chili. There was another good chili joint on Roosevelt Ave in Roosevelt just before Sunrise HWY that served their's in thick blue ceramic bowls. Also burgers and chili at The Ranger (or was it The Texas Ranger?) bar and grill near the LIRR station in Freeport?

What about that little Italian joint on the water in Massapequa - Dick and Dora's? That place was there since the 30's or 40's. They expanded in the 70's and put in these silly brass bed frames with the tables inside them. That's when I stopped going there. I missed their old decor of nicotine stained pea green enamel painted walls with 12' high ceilings and blue neon lights. But they sure had great seafood and Italian dishes.

There's that farm (I think Field's?) stand up on the North Fork where you could get everything - jams, jellies, honey, breads, cakes, pies, green house plants, fruits and veg - you name it. My favorite was their strawberry whipped cream pie in a baked pie shell, not that nasty graham cracker yuck. Real, lightly sweetened whipped cream made from scratch. Fresh sliced unsweetened L.I. strawberries.

One hot August day my cousin and I had a craving for their strawberry cream pie. Those pies are like 15" across. We hopped into the truck, tooled out from Manorville and got one.

Not a word was exchanged not even 5 minutes into the flip flop, just a simultanious turn of heads and "the look". A sudden pull off the road onto the shoulder and we opened that white cardboard box and looked down at the pie between us on the seat. A real thing of beauty.

Cousin says we don't have a knife. Hell, that never stopped me! Tore off the lid of that box and axed that baby right in half! We each picked up our respective halves and dove right in like the 2 little pigs we are! Umm-yumm-yumm-yumming all the way, as we got down to serious work eating that pie. I can still taste it.

Just behind the truck was one of those loud irrigation pumps chugging away. Next to us was a field of potatoes. The truck was up on a high embankment. I suddenly got the feeling we were being watched. I came up for air from the pie frenzy and there just at window level sitting on a tractor was this old geezer, bald as a cue ball, not a tooth in his head with a great ear to ear grin watching us pig out on our pie!

We made a gesture that we weren't sharing any and we all cracked up laughing. We finished every bit, admitting afterwards that we felt sick, but good! There was whipped cream up our noses, in our hair, between our fingers, on my glasses - no problem! We promised not to tell our husbands about our pie quest. I know I never did. Man those were the days.

I also remember the home made Manhattan clam chowder bought from a little table in front of a run down salt box house just off the Sunrise Hwy in Eastport, where all those stinking ducks are (or were?). They were lined up in 1 quart Mason jars with a box for your $1.50.

Oh hell yeah! All American! I can't believe it's STILL there! It's more Seaford than Massapequa isn't it? Who cares! It's wonderful to hear it's still going strong. I also remember Jahn's Ice Cream Parlors and the ice cream at Howard Johnson's too.

I left Long Island back in 1990 and haven't returned since. Spent the past 5 years in Tampa, FL and 12 yrs before that in Istanbul, Turkey. Now I've been here in Prague 5 months and the food really SUCKS although they've got the BEST beer you ever tasted in your life - higher alcohol content and just pennies a pint.

They deliver the brew in what looks like propane trucks complete with hose that pumps the stuff - I guess into tanks in the basement of the pubs. I nearly dropped my jaw when I saw it. Czechs drink the most beer per person world wide. They invented Pilsner and Budweiser - named for the two respective cities in the Czech Republic. So I can say that I've had the real Budweiser beer. Visited the brewery in St Louis, Mo and this summer intend to visit the real Bud brewery here.

I'm enjoying this website and one of my favorite subjects, regional foods. I'll comment if I ever get anything decent to eat here. I'm starting to lose weight now, which I guess is a good thing. Damnit.

Best -

Dharani

the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/05/18 18:45:28 (permalink)
Maybe someone who gets way over to the North Shore in Nassau County can tell me if the hot dog stand on Main St Oyster bay is still there. It was right across from Town Hall and up the street from the Baseball Field. Whenever I was driving withing a few miles of O.B. I would head for a lunch special Dog and the fixin's with an orange soda. Just like Nedick's when I was a kid.
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/05/18 21:42:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dharani

Also burgers and chili at The Ranger (or was it The Texas Ranger?) bar and grill near the LIRR station in Freeport?

What about that little Italian joint on the water in Massapequa - Dick and Dora's? That place was there since the 30's or 40's. They expanded in the 70's and put in these silly brass bed frames with the tables inside them. That's when I stopped going there. I missed their old decor of nicotine stained pea green enamel painted walls with 12' high ceilings and blue neon lights. But they sure had great seafood and Italian dishes.
I discovered The (Texas?) Ranger late and ate there only a couple of times before they closed. I remember good burgers.

We were going to eat at Dick & Dora's this week but didn't work out. We like their food a lot. Maybe tomorrow or Saturday night...
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/05/18 21:50:07 (permalink)
quote:

Maybe someone who gets way over to the North Shore in Nassau County can tell me if the hot dog stand on Main St Oyster bay is still there. It was right across from Town Hall and up the street from the Baseball Field. Whenever I was driving withing a few miles of O.B. I would head for a lunch special Dog and the fixin's with an orange soda. Just like Nedick's when I was a kid.
Next time I'm over there, I'll TRY to remember to check. I don't seem to recall it. Just up the road from there is that Italian Ice stand/shack. Think it's called something like Ponderosa?
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5092
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/05/18 22:07:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Pepcycle

quote:
Originally posted by rongmtek

BACK TO THE PAST:
Ron

Jahn's was great. I would go to the one next to the roller rink in Levittown or the one in RVC. Kitchen Sink anyone?

When I was a kid growing up in Cedarhurst, I worked after school at the Jahn's on Central ave. in Cedarhurst. Back in 1955, the "Kitchen Sink" was only $6.00!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5092
RE: Long Island , NY 2006/05/18 22:14:49 (permalink)
Growing up on Long Island in the "Five Towns" during the 50's and 60's, I remember two restaurants that I loved. One was in Lynbrook. An Italian restaurant name, "Garberino's" They had the greatest "Clams Posillipo".
The other place I remember was, "Raynor's Chicken Cabin" on Sunrise Hwy. in Baldwin. They had the VERY BEST fried chicken and corn fritters!
Anyone else remember these two places?
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 13
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1