Long John Silvers - Snack Box Fever

Author
Sheetzaholic
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 51
2006/10/05 17:51:00 (permalink)

Long John Silvers - Snack Box Fever

Ok, I wanted to start a conversation simply about the Buttered Lobster Bite Snack Box, but that's too small a field for discussion. A delicious field, but small. So, I was hoping we could put our fishing poles down and think of new snack box ideas, or simply how can we BRING BACK THE LOBSTER BITES!

21 Replies Related Threads

Fieldthistle
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Long John Silvers - Snack Box Fever 2006/10/07 06:12:14 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    Sheetzaholic, glad to see you at Roadfood.
    I want Long Johns Silvers to bring back their wonderful Peg Legs,
    a most delicious dish.
    I will join you on bringing back lobster bites if you
    join me on bringin back Peg Legs.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18259
    RE: Long John Silvers - Snack Box Fever 2006/10/07 11:31:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sheetzaholic

Ok, I wanted to start a conversation simply about the Buttered Lobster Bite Snack Box, but that's too small a field for discussion. A delicious field, but small. So, I was hoping we could put our fishing poles down and think of new snack box ideas, or simply how can we BRING BACK THE LOBSTER BITES!

I thought they were ordered to stop calling the langostino lobster.
    Stoney444
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: Long John Silvers - Snack Box Fever 2006/10/07 12:31:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

You thought wrong. Long John Silver used a combination of lobster and prawns in their lobster bites. Some idiot customer, who wished to cause a problem, took them to court and sued for damages because of a misnamed product. It was thrown out of court because it was deemed a frivilous lawsuit.
    LJS dropped the item because of profit margin problems. Sales slacked off as the cost for the delicious prawn/lobster went up.
    Simple as that. I was in the know, because I was a manager at LJS back then.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3710
    RE: Long John Silvers - Snack Box Fever 2006/10/07 13:06:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ANNA1887

quote:

quote:

You thought wrong. Long John Silver used a combination of lobster and prawns in their lobster bites. Some idiot customer, who wished to cause a problem, took them to court and sued for damages because of a misnamed product. It was thrown out of court because it was deemed a frivilous lawsuit.
    LJS dropped the item because of profit margin problems. Sales slacked off as the cost for the delicious prawn/lobster went up.

Langostino is a Spanish word meaning prawn but this term is commonly used in the restaurant trade to refer to the meat of the squat lobster, which is neither a true lobster nor a prawn. It is more closely related to porcelain crabs and hermit crabs.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Long John Silvers - Snack Box Fever 2006/10/08 09:16:08 (permalink)
    Profit sales margins. Like when Capt. D's had their fried oyster platter. 8 medium fresh from the container oysters with fries, slaw, & hush puppies, only $8.99. A total joke.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18259
    RE: Long John Silvers - Snack Box Fever 2006/10/08 12:02:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ANNA1887

quote:

quote:

In fact, I did not think wrong. You are wrong. Long John Silver's used what it called "langostino lobster" not real lobster.

From The Associated Press:

Some restaurants, such as Long John Silver's and Red Lobster, have marketed langostinos as "langostino lobster," different than Maine lobster but lobster nonetheless. Long John Silver's introduced "Buttered Lobster Bites," last year which were made with langostino lobster. The chain marketed the limited-time seafood as being for people who "crave the taste of lobster but they don't have $20 to spend."

http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/business/agriculture/a100335A.html
    Sheetzaholic
    Hamburger
    RE: Long John Silvers - Snack Box Fever 2006/10/14 08:29:52 (permalink)
    Lobster or no lobster they are a nice change from the same old salt and pepper patty at other chains! I am looking forward to LJS bringing them back, and yes, I will support Peg Legs comin' back to the market!
    Starlord
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: Long John Silvers - Snack Box Fever 2006/10/19 00:48:08 (permalink)
    I have not tried the lobster bites, but I caution people not to judge a chain from a visit to one store. In Casa Grande, AZ, we have an LJS/TB, and in Coolidge, we have a KFC/TB. In Phoenix, there is an LJS where we love to eat, due to the fantastic food. The only problem is that they serve only Coke products there, and my wife and I are loyal Pepsi fans. We have eaten at the LJS in Casa Grande three times, and probably will not eat there again. While they sereve Pepsi products, they consistently fail to change their Fryolater shortening. As a result, everything has an off taste, and if you wrung out the oil from a meal, you could probably do an LOF on your car. We have complained to management, but they will not do anything about using their shortening too long between changes. Phoenix stand-alone LJS, an enthusiastic thumbs up. Casa Grande LJS/TB, bring along a barf bag.
    plb
    • Total Posts : 1028
    RE: Long John Silvers - Snack Box Fever 2006/10/19 14:45:25 (permalink)
    Just got back from having lunch at LJS here in Plano, TX. There was a pile of small flyers on the counter that said:

Back by Popular Demand
    Available October 29th
    Buttered Lobster Bites
    Real Langostino Lobster Tail
    Yarr, Genius
    Rowsdower98
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: Long John Silvers - Snack Box Fever 2006/10/19 16:45:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Starlord

I have not tried the lobster bites, but I caution people not to judge a chain from a visit to one store. In Casa Grande, AZ, we have an LJS/TB, and in Coolidge, we have a KFC/TB. In Phoenix, there is an LJS where we love to eat, due to the fantastic food. The only problem is that they serve only Coke products there, and my wife and I are loyal Pepsi fans. We have eaten at the LJS in Casa Grande three times, and probably will not eat there again. While they sereve Pepsi products, they consistently fail to change their Fryolater shortening. As a result, everything has an off taste, and if you wrung out the oil from a meal, you could probably do an LOF on your car. We have complained to management, but they will not do anything about using their shortening too long between changes. Phoenix stand-alone LJS, an enthusiastic thumbs up. Casa Grande LJS/TB, bring along a barf bag.

LJS stores in my two hometowns (Lexington, KY and Carbondale, IL) seem to be like places that time forgot. No one ever seems to eat there. They also tend to be dirty. I don't know how they stay in business, other than the abscence of the far superior Captain D's locally.
    I'm an RC Cola fan. If I only went to restaurants that served RC, I'd either be doing a lot of driving, or eating at home. I am surprised that there is still an LJS that serves Coke, since the chain is owned by a subsidiary of Pepsi.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6352
    RE: Long John Silvers - Snack Box Fever 2006/10/19 18:44:21 (permalink)
    Our local LJS is doing snack box month, but no lobster bites on the horizon yet.

I have eaten there enough lately, they know my order before I say a word.

I have eaten so many of their jalapeno chees bites, that our local store just got another top seller award for the region, for selling so many jalapeno cheese bites. I did that with the lobster bites too.

BRING BACK LOBSTER BITES

my question to you fieldthistle

what are/were peg legs??

I also think LJS should do scallops, a snack box of little bay scallops
    oh my goodness, I would go broke.

Fieldthistle
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Long John Silvers - Snack Box Fever 2006/10/20 05:09:36 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    cajunking, they were miniature chicken legs, with LJS breading on them.
    They remind me of buffalo wings (not the type that has the two bones you can
    split,) just with LJS breading. You'd get about 4 to 6 of them. HMMMM, so good.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6352
    RE: Long John Silvers - Snack Box Fever 2006/10/20 14:20:25 (permalink)
    yummmm

those do sound good

I also liked their buffalo chicken strips, their regular chicken strip with a tangy saucy under the breading, but they have never brouht those back either.

Have A Great Day

Cajunking
    Sheetzaholic
    Hamburger
    RE: Long John Silvers - Snack Box Fever 2006/11/03 01:35:50 (permalink)
    scallop bite snack box is a great idea! we should write a letter to LJS HQ!!!
    mbrookes
    • Total Posts : 1354
    RE: Long John Silvers - Snack Box Fever 2006/11/03 16:49:57 (permalink)
    Just looked at the web site... they say lobster bites are "back for the holidays."
    Rowsdower98
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: Long John Silvers - Snack Box Fever 2006/11/04 13:45:10 (permalink)
    Stopped by the Local LJS today, out of sheer curiosity. They had several signs advertising lobster bites. I stuck with chicken planks.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Long John Silvers - Snack Box Fever 2006/11/05 10:38:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Fieldthistle

Hello All,
    cajunking, they were miniature chicken legs, with LJS breading on them.
    They remind me of buffalo wings (not the type that has the two bones you can
    split,) just with LJS breading. You'd get about 4 to 6 of them. HMMMM, so good.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle

Which in reality are the "meaty" portions of chicken wings.
    Sheetzaholic
    Hamburger
    RE: Long John Silvers - Snack Box Fever 2006/11/06 03:12:45 (permalink)
    I was driving through Oil City, Penna. yesterday and noticed that Lobster Bite Snack Boxes are available again!!! Unfortunately, I didn't have time to stop, but I will be soon...
    andyh40
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 39
    RE: Long John Silvers - Snack Box Fever 2006/11/06 15:22:56 (permalink)
    The LJS's in middle Tennessee have the Lobster Bites back! I stopped a couple of days ago, and had to have a lobster bite combo meal. It was tasty! They were also advertising fish bites, and clam bites.
    Sheetzaholic
    Hamburger
    RE: Long John Silvers - Snack Box Fever 2006/11/22 01:42:12 (permalink)
    Is it because I posted this question a few weeks ago that the lobster bite snack box returned??? Probably not, but one likes to think they have that control over corporate america. anyway, I had a snack box while in Ohio and they were tasty; however, it wouldn't hurt to tamp down the butter part just a tad. Just my preference.
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: Long John Silvers - Snack Box Fever 2006/11/24 08:58:29 (permalink)
    I would support the lobster bites returning as well as the peg legs. I also wish LJS brought back their fried oysters. I remember getting them years ago. I also wish the pirate theme would return with the faux docks you walked on to enter and exit the store.
    I agree that the LJS in Lexington, KY do seem dirty now, and you really don't see many people eating inside or big lines at the drive-thru. Their atmosphere has become generic like so many other places and there's nothing "special" about it anymore. Yes, I know it is fast food but it did used to have its charm.

Andrea
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1