Long John Silver's or Captain D's?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
stanpnepa
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 577
RE: Long John Silver's or Captain D's? 2005/07/06 23:10:04 (permalink)
After eating at the sainted Clam Box last week, I'd prefer not to even think about Long John Silvers. With a coupon and only a few dollars in my pocket, I went to LJS for a hurried lunch last year and was truly disappointed. The batter was not like I recalled---we used to go a lot in the 70's---and everything tasted the same---the fries, the hushpuppies, the fish. I liked the new A & W/Long John Oldies atmosphere---free plays on the jukebox---but the food was so mediocre I won't be back. Plus, you have to realize, I ate at the Clam Box last week!
AndreaB
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1303
RE: Long John Silver's or Captain D's? 2005/07/18 09:52:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by stanpnepa

After eating at the sainted Clam Box last week, I'd prefer not to even think about Long John Silvers. With a coupon and only a few dollars in my pocket, I went to LJS for a hurried lunch last year and was truly disappointed. The batter was not like I recalled---we used to go a lot in the 70's---and everything tasted the same---the fries, the hushpuppies, the fish. I liked the new A & W/Long John Oldies atmosphere---free plays on the jukebox---but the food was so mediocre I won't be back. Plus, you have to realize, I ate at the Clam Box last week!

We have no Clam Box here in Versailles/Lexington. I agree the batter is different at LJS now and everything tastes the same. The batter on the fish used to be crispy, and now it is soggy and the fish appears to be cut in a diamond shape.

Andrea
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18700
RE: Long John Silver's or Captain D's? 2005/07/18 10:22:48 (permalink)
I've had the fish and chips at Long John Silver's, but I'm not a fan. I remember when the first Arthur Treacher's opened in Charleston, West Virginia in 1969 or 1970, and it was excellent -- nothing like it became a few years later.If Long John Silver's could ever turn out food that came close to the way Arthur Treacher's did, at first, I'd be there once a week.

We do have Captain D's in the Columbus area, but I've never been to one. As an aside, several years ago, when I was coaching a junior league football team, we had one kid, a boy named Bobby, who was a real Captain D's fan. You could always tell when it was Tuesday without having to check a calendar. Every time the kids would huddle up during practice on Tuesdays the quarterback could barely call the plays because Bobby couldn't stop talking about how excited he was. "Tomorrow they have the specials at Captain D's and me and my mom can't wait."

Bobby will be a high school senior this year, but no longer plays any sports. He does work at Captain D's, though.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1