Long John Silver's or Captain D's?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
AndreaB
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1303
2005/02/04 14:35:05 (permalink)

Long John Silver's or Captain D's?

Ha ha yes I know it's fast food seafood but which do you prefer? I think Long John Silver's has gone down hill. The fish does not seem as good as it was in the past (when they had the pirate theme) and the ones near me no longer have oysters. Captain D's (fast food though it is) tastes better to me. I also like the Moby Dick chain, which still has oysters as well.

Andrea

32 Replies Related Threads

Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Long John Silver's or Captain D's? 2005/02/04 14:45:28 (permalink)
    They have neither in the northeast, so it's a moot point for me, but I agree that LJS quality of food and service has dropped substantially: I remember back when I was a teenager in the '80s, it was actually a perfectly adequate quick meal that I used to enjoy quite a bit, but every time I've been to a Long John Silver's in the last decade or so, it's been disappointing.

Of course, the focus of the meals for me back in the day was something you got for free if you asked: a side of the little crunchy fried batter bits that they used to serve the fish on. Douse that with a lot of malt vinegar and you have the essence of LJS.
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: Long John Silver's or Captain D's? 2005/02/04 14:54:09 (permalink)
    Yes those little batter bits! I think they call them "crumblies". There used to be that layer of them under the fish and they were good. I too always douse my LJS food in the malt vinegar. There is something different about their fish these days --- it's not as crispy and seems somewhat soggy and limp. The french fries as well.

Andrea
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Long John Silver's or Captain D's? 2005/02/04 15:27:56 (permalink)
    Only LJS around here (only one). I actually like their battered fish and slaw. I like their fries too! Haven't been since driving to Myrtle Beach from Chicago and stopping in Asheville for the night- late. We wound up eating at LJS on Hendersonville Rd. Right now i'm craving Long John Silvers.
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Long John Silver's or Captain D's? 2005/02/04 15:52:32 (permalink)
    I think I prefer LJS a tad over Captain D's. Our LJS has NEVER had oysters. Remember "Peg Legs"? I loved them as a kid and wish they still had them. I'd like to be able to buy the "just add water" batter they use and make my own.
    Bill B.
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Long John Silver's or Captain D's? 2005/02/04 16:27:09 (permalink)
    Arthur Treacher's!
    seocom
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 67
    RE: Long John Silver's or Captain D's? 2005/02/04 16:47:09 (permalink)
    I think that LJS must have changed to using a different type of oil, hence the big difference in taste that I remember...
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13549
    RE: Long John Silver's or Captain D's? 2005/02/04 16:57:58 (permalink)
    We have both in Knoxville and I personally prefer Captain D's. The last time I was at LJS, the fish was more like a compressed fish stick while Captain D's still is the white fish that is deep fried. I like the slaw better at Captain D's, they have a much larger selection of sides and their desserts are better.. I also prefer Captain D's tartar sauce that you pump out of the refrigerated stainless steel container and do not get their prepackaged tartar sauce as it is much too sour.

Years ago I preferred LJS but their quality appears to have dimished and I noticed that their location in West Knoxville recently closed and it is now a Starbucks.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1110
    RE: Long John Silver's or Captain D's? 2005/02/04 17:05:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bill B.

Arthur Treacher's!

Amen, they haven't been the same since!!
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4644
    RE: Long John Silver's or Captain D's? 2005/02/04 17:15:07 (permalink)
    We once had a choice in KC between Arthur Treacher's-good, and H. Salt, which was excellent. Don't know who swallowed up either of those. We have Skipper's here in the NW, which is no bargain, so we never go.
    Scarlett
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 402
    RE: Long John Silver's or Captain D's? 2005/02/04 17:33:04 (permalink)
    There used to be a LJS here and I thought they would do well, however, much to my dismay it didn't work out. I don't think it was about the food but the workstaff.. Service was incrediably slow or nearly non existent. They NEVER offerd oysters.

CD's is great! I have never had a bad experience with food or service at CD's.

YUM
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Long John Silver's or Captain D's? 2005/02/04 17:36:36 (permalink)
    I've been to LJS a couple times in the last year. First time the fish was good.. Second time it tasted like they boiled the fish then fried it... YUK... Haven't been back since. (But I'll give them another chance!). There's no Captain D's around here, but did see them when I was in Indiana. They had some decent coupons in the paper, but never made it there.. As for Arthur Treachers, havent had them since the early 70's. None around here, but back then they where tasty! (But then most food compared to today was tasty back then)... If you want some decent Fish n Chips around here, Fat Mans is the place to go!
    Bill B.
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Long John Silver's or Captain D's? 2005/02/04 17:40:34 (permalink)
    I haven't been in an AT's since the '70s, either. Missouri no longer has them.

Don't think I ever tried H. Salt, Bill Voss. Did you ever have fish at the City Fish Market or at Mad Jack's, both on State Avenue in KCK?
    Vince Macek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 863
    RE: Long John Silver's or Captain D's? 2005/02/04 18:32:24 (permalink)
    I heard this in a recent Conan O'Brien monologue: A man in Florida was arrested for selling marijuana out of a Long John Silver's restaurant. Police initially became suspicious when they spotted someone walking into a Long John Silver's restaurant.

Last time I went, things were way too salty. I have fond memories of Lord Nelson's fish & chips, though that was ages ago and my memory for taste is a bit spotty. I don't go to Judi Dench's fish & chips after I heard how the help was mistreated (Simpsons reference, sorry.)
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Long John Silver's or Captain D's? 2005/02/04 18:33:56 (permalink)
    Unfortunately, neither chain uses Cod anymore; I suspect they both use Haddock now (or worse). Given that, LJS has always used pre-portioned fish filets, while CD's cuts their own. I will agree with Paul that their (CD's) coleslaw is much better, and they have been trying to diversify their menu. However, the only reason I ever went to CD's was for their all-you-can-eat Catfish filets that was served on Sundays. That was D/Ced long ago in my area, circa the mid 90's or so. I think I have been back no more than two-four times since then. I even remember when they offered fried oysters; good but $$$$. If I remember right, you got a dozen (smashed flat) oysters plus the usual fixings for about $8.99. No thanks. I am about 90 miles away from Apalachicola.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13549
    RE: Long John Silver's or Captain D's? 2005/02/04 18:49:06 (permalink)
    I am certain that there are many places that serve much better fish than Captain D's but in Knoxville, TN, the options are not that much particularly if you are in somewhat of a hurry. Mamaw Smith who lives next door and is 83 really loves Captain D's. I try to take her as often as I can. She always get the same thing: two piece dinner that is deep fried with fries and coleslaw and sometimes the pecan pie. I am truly grateful to take her there as she is so appreciative. You would think I took her to Mortons of Chicago.

What I really like about Captain D's is that they cook to order. It has been my experience that when you order, it takes several minutes for it to arrive and it is hot and fresh and steaming. The fries are seasoned and coated I believe. They are tasty. Their condiments are always available and the ketchup, shrimp sauce and tartar sauce is tasty and cold and their cold drinks are all you can drink. Their sides are plentiful and unique and their desserts are extremely tasty for a fast food place.

Just my opinion.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Long John Silver's or Captain D's? 2005/02/04 19:02:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

I am certain that there are many places that serve much better fish than Captain D's but in Knoxville, TN, the options are not that much particularly if you are in somewhat of a hurry. Mamaw Smith who lives next door and is 83 really loves Captain D's. I try to take her as often as I can. She always get the same thing: two piece dinner that is deep fried with fries and coleslaw and sometimes the pecan pie. I am truly grateful to take her there as she is so appreciative. You would think I took her to Mortons of Chicago.

What I really like about Captain D's is that they cook to order. It has been my experience that when you order, it takes several minutes for it to arrive and it is hot and fresh and steaming. The fries are seasoned and coated I believe. They are tasty. Their condiments are always available and the ketchup, shrimp sauce and tartar sauce is tasty and cold and their cold drinks are all you can drink. Their sides are plentiful and unique and their desserts are extremely tasty for a fast food place.

Just my opinion.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Another thing folks... Capt. D's parent company is Shoney's, Inc; based out of good 'ole Nashville, TN. Be it Kyrstal's or CD's, Southern Food (be it FF or NOT...) JUST TASTES BETTER...
    QFan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 643
    RE: Long John Silver's or Captain D's? 2005/02/04 19:38:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

Just my opinion.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Another thing folks... Capt. D's parent company is Shoney's, Inc; based out of good 'ole Nashville, TN. Be it Kyrstal's or CD's, Southern Food (be it FF or NOT...) JUST TASTES BETTER...

Just to add some additional information to the thread, LJS's used to be a subsidiary of Jerry's out of Lex, KY. Jerry's who ran a Big Boy type coffee shop was the creator of LJS. Now, however, LJS is part of the KFC family of companies. So where you used to get pretty decent stuff (including fish that was fried w/ lard, which is why it tasted so darn good), now it is all standardized as part of a mega FF operation. I for one think LJS still makes terrific cole slaw. Oh well, taste is all an individual thing. Guess that's why Road Food get's so many different opinions.
    QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Long John Silver's or Captain D's? 2005/02/04 20:12:02 (permalink)
    Couldn't they both be equally "seafood-challenged"?
    gcso62
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Long John Silver's or Captain D's? 2005/04/24 16:31:12 (permalink)

Just to add some additional information to the thread, LJS's used to be a subsidiary of Jerry's out of Lex, KY. Jerry's who ran a Big Boy type coffee shop was the creator of LJS. Now, however, LJS is part of the KFC family of companies. So where you used to get pretty decent stuff (including fish that was fried w/ lard, which is why it tasted so darn good), now it is all standardized as part of a mega FF operation. I for one think LJS still makes terrific cole slaw. Oh well, taste is all an individual thing. Guess that's why Road Food get's so many different opinions.
    QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL

Capt'n D's being part of Shoney's is great. We had both a Shoney's and CD's now neither. LJS is part of the same group as KFC as well as Pizza Hut and a few others. Pepsico ownes way too much stuff that is in no way related. I think all their restuant properties have gone down hill since being taken over by the corporate giant. None really have an identity anymore. And just for the record, I liked Capt'n D's better.
    CCBAMA21
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Long John Silver's or Captain D's? 2005/04/29 15:23:13 (permalink)
    LJS for me, with the two tie-breakers being the cracklies and the batter used on the fish. I will agree the food has gone down some, but in my area the service has gone down at Capt D's, which was already second hand in food imo.

If hungry, I'll eat either, though!

Cary
    luv
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: Long John Silver's or Captain D's? 2005/05/07 01:41:16 (permalink)
    Lojng John's since that's all we have. quality of food has gone downhill. i miss the crunchies and now the local ones leave the food dripping in grease. you have to blot it and even then... uck. i mean, if you bend the fish to break a pc. off, the grease squishes out!!!!
    Pitts
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 78
    RE: Long John Silver's or Captain D's? 2005/05/07 03:36:23 (permalink)
    In the Northwest it's Ivars and Skippers ( plenty of coupons ) for fast fish!
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8333
    RE: Long John Silver's or Captain D's? 2005/05/07 10:14:34 (permalink)
    I wish we had either or any!

Los Angeles used to have H. Salt Esq but fried fish places didn't seem to make it here.

Send Ivars down, please.

I love fried clams.

Wish Ho Jo's was back too, just for those.
    Doc4
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Long John Silver's or Captain D's? 2005/05/08 17:20:49 (permalink)
    Mmmm Captain D's....when my relatives lived in FLA, I would get a fix, in between real seafood joints. New England, sadly, has no such places to satisfy the need. Just overpriced lobstah shacks for the tourists.

marcbla
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 139
    RE: Long John Silver's or Captain D's? 2005/06/01 17:06:29 (permalink)
    My x-wife once worked at a ljs and the rumor going around was that the keeper of the batter recipie died and they had a real tough time trying to duplicate it. But i doubt that was the case. I remember ljs being quite good in the past especially when they had the little chicken peg legs and the seafood was sitting behind that glass panel, they also put lots of crumbs on the plate which doesn't happen anymore unless you ask for them. Captain d's is pretty good but they are both better than arthur treachers which is just plain bad!
    pappy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Long John Silver's or Captain D's? 2005/06/09 23:05:09 (permalink)
    The wife and I sometimes go to Captain D's in Columbia TN. and thay have really good fried shrimp.... and the fish is not bad neither... Not high quality, but tasty and hot... and not dried out..
    As for LJS, My wife would beat me blue if I ever took her there again... and she would have reason to.. it is horrid to say the least..

Pappy
    Kingman3
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Long John Silver's or Captain D's? 2005/06/27 15:32:48 (permalink)
    LJS is much better IMO. Captain D's is more expensive and very stingy with their portions. One piece of CD's fish is as small as an LJS chicken plank.

Plus, nowadays you'll likely find LJS and A&W together in the same restaurant, so you can get a root beer float to go with that meal (or a Deluxe Double Cheeseburger if you're not in the mood for fish).

I suspect that neither beats authentic fish and chips from England or the Eastern Seaboard, which I long for.
    bluetick
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 39
    RE: Long John Silver's or Captain D's? 2005/07/06 22:41:26 (permalink)
    MANY years ago, my grandmother would sometimes take me to LJS whenever I visited her in the small West Tennessee town where she lived. I really enjoyed it then, but haven't had LJS in years. I remember it being quite yummy by fast food standards. I don't eat a lot of fast food and the reviews above are discouraging, but perhaps I should seek out a LJS and see for myself.

Just a few years ago, I ate lunch with some coworkers at a Cap'n D's, and bit into a wretchedly rancid piece of fish. Yuck! I have not been back to one since and I renamed that chain "Captain's Disease".
    dholk
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: Long John Silver's or Captain D's? 2005/07/06 23:03:49 (permalink)
    My first date with who seemed to be the love of my life at the time was at the Captain D's in Fort Walton Beach, FL. The red plastic trays, the little packets of tartar sauce and malt vinegar, it was divine. I'll never forget how the reflection of her beautiful blue eyes shimmered in the cellophane wrapping my my DoubleD burger.

Maybe things would be different now if I had ordered the fish and chips :)

BTW - Captain D's was her idea and I did end up with quite a memorable kiss. I had no such experience at LJS so I'm going to have to give the nod to Captain D's
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1