Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Longhorns

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 38
tmiles

• Total Posts: 1908
Longhorns Tue, 10/5/04 3:11 PM (permalink)
A new Longhorns just opened in my town. I can't get near it. I have read that as a chain, they are the "next big thing". What is the big deal. Is it worth waiting to get in, or just hype?

scbuzz

• Total Posts: 844
    RE: Longhorns Tue, 10/5/04 3:23 PM (permalink)
    IMNSHO ... There are a couple of Longhorns in Columbia SC. I have eaten at them and do not really find them all that exciting.

Not bad, but not as good as Outback.

I actually put Longhorns in the same category as a Ryans.

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4481
      RE: Longhorns Tue, 10/5/04 3:30 PM (permalink)
      Somewhat better than a Ryan's, higher prices to boot.

Overall, nothing to get too excited about.

emsmom

• Total Posts: 955
        RE: Longhorns Tue, 10/5/04 3:36 PM (permalink)
        We have had a Longhorn here for years . I have eaten there several times, but it is nothing to get excited about. There are alot of other steakhouses that I would go to before I would the Longhorn.

CETURTL

• Total Posts: 77
          RE: Longhorns Tue, 08/16/05 11:03 PM (permalink)
          Reminds me alot of the "Lone Star" chain. I prefer Outback also. Wait till the Hype wears off, It's nothing exceptional.

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
            RE: Longhorns Wed, 08/17/05 12:09 AM (permalink)
            Here's the Longhorn (Bar and Grill) I know:

keef richards

• Total Posts: 42
              RE: Longhorns Fri, 08/19/05 10:40 PM (permalink)
              we have a couple longhorns in nj. been there once it was horrible i think the meat must have been select. i ordered prime rib, i like my steak rare to med more on the rare side. it was cooked med rare more on the rare side. it had no taste whatsoever. i don't understand why people don't find a good butcher shop pay a little more then a supermarket and grill a great steak. this is one of the meals then can be cooked as good as the best restaurant in your area.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
                • Roadfood Insider
                RE: Longhorns Fri, 08/19/05 11:16 PM (permalink)

Longhorn, Texas Roadhouse, Logan's Roadhouse, Tumbleweed, and even Outback (it is slipping and cutting corners bigtime now) are all about the same. Prices are close, Same BS about your server being your new 'Best Friend', and meat that has it's good moments , but also has some real cruddy times too.
                I used to really enjoy the Lamb ribs at Outback. They are now gone from the menu. The steaks are getting smaller and the taste of the beef is being covered with the 'pepper coating' more and more.
                Sad times at the Chain Menu development team meetings!

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                  RE: Longhorns Mon, 08/29/05 2:40 PM (permalink)
                  I found Longhorn to be quite better than Outback. The steak was better, and for my wife, who doesn't eat steak, the salmon filet was very good and better than Outback's.
                  (That was in Greensboro, NC, where I haven't lived in over 4 years -so, that information is dated)

But as chains go, I have found more success at Ruth's Chris Steak House.

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1908
                    RE: Longhorns Tue, 08/30/05 9:06 AM (permalink)
                    We finally got to our local Longhorn. It was very good, esp for a chain. If I didn't know the area, I would go to one because it is a "safe bet", but knowing my area, there are lots of local places where one can spend a dollar or two less, and get a meal that is as good or better. Scorereader, in the above post, mentions Ruth's Chris. IMO, RC and Longhorn are not even in the same league. RC costs more. Longhorn, IMO, compares more to Outback or Bugaboo Creek. Give me RC for Longhorn prices, and I could become a big fan of chains overnight!

Scorereader

RE: Longhorns Fri, 09/2/05 6:50 PM (permalink)
                      I was just offering up some chain steak houses. I know it's not the same, but if one is going to complain about the quality of their steak at Longhorn or Outback or the like, they need to upgrade to Ruth's Chris.

I agree, it's a price jump.

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                        RE: Longhorns Fri, 09/2/05 9:29 PM (permalink)
                        Where I live in the Boston area there is a Longhorns almost across the street from one our former good steak houses The Hilltop. Hilltop is owned now by a major corporation. Not anywhere the place it once was. But I understand Longhorns is doing a decient business thev'e been there for quite sometime must be doing something right. I'll have to give it a shot one of these days. But you Texas people {by the way nice job taking those poor people in I'llnevermake fun of you Texans again}anyways I hearyouhave longhorncattle that are free range and heard the meat is much better than Black Angus. Although I've had on many occasions corn fed Herfords damn decient. Darn computer not behaving properly well Chow Jim

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                          RE: Longhorns Tue, 11/29/05 8:18 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Longhorn, Texas Roadhouse, Logan's Roadhouse, Tumbleweed, and even Outback (it is slipping and cutting corners bigtime now) are all about the same. Prices are close, Same BS about your server being your new 'Best Friend', and meat that has it's good moments , but also has some real cruddy times too.
                          I used to really enjoy the Lamb ribs at Outback. They are now gone from the menu. The steaks are getting smaller and the taste of the beef is being covered with the 'pepper coating' more and more.
                          Sad times at the Chain Menu development team meetings!

I had a kick but T-Bone at Roadhouse back in August in Colorado... First time there, and man it was very good.. (for a chain).. sometimes Outbacks steaks can be a little chewy.... especially their center cuts... and I LOVE Outback.... esp the veggies!

roossy90

RE: Longhorns Wed, 11/30/05 7:34 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by tmiles

A new Longhorns just opened in my town. I can't get near it. I have read that as a chain, they are the "next big thing". What is the big deal. Is it worth waiting to get in, or just hype?

They have been in Florida for ages, and always a line at dinner time..
                            ** and they are right across the street from Outback, and Ruby Tuesday, Olive Garde, Carrabbas, Red Lobster..... that street is restaurant row there in Merritt Island......You have many choices to eat in a mile stretch there.....

Almost like I-Drive in Orlando...

Now a Fridays and an Uno is going up right next to Outback, --
                            Of course, there is a mall there also..

*and Applebees and Steak and Shake is on opposite corners. along with a Hooters.. It is total resturant row, and they all are always packed come dinner hour.......

So the competition is fierce and they have survived.. I do enjoy their Steak Salad.....and the bread is yummy also....

Scorereader

RE: Longhorns Thu, 12/1/05 10:15 AM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by roossy90

** and they are right across the street from Outback, and Ruby Tuesday, Olive Garde, Carrabbas, Red Lobster..... that street is restaurant row there in Merritt Island......You have many choices to eat in a mile stretch there.....

*and Applebees and Steak and Shake is on opposite corners. along with a Hooters.. It is total resturant row, and they all are always packed come dinner hour.......

I think the State of Florida shoud be remanded to the FFF Forum.

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                                RE: Longhorns Thu, 12/1/05 10:59 AM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by Scorereader

Amen.

jellybear

• Total Posts: 1135
                                  RE: Longhorns Thu, 12/1/05 1:43 PM (permalink)
                                  I like Longhorn,I have ate there a few times and the food is good and the atmosphere is too.Their Filet is BETTER than most top dollar steakhouses including Ruth Chris.Try their Chopped Sirloin.

roossy90

RE: Longhorns Thu, 12/1/05 2:37 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:

quote:
                                    Originally posted by roossy90

Hey hey.. thats my homestate, but, sheesh, I just did move to Maine afterall, this year....
                                    Ha ha....
                                    Tara

RibDog

• Total Posts: 593
                                      RE: Longhorns Thu, 12/1/05 2:41 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by stevekoe

quote:

Amen.

Play nice now everyone. Florida has plenty of non-chain restaurants that could be considered Roadfood-type establishments.

John

Scorereader

RE: Longhorns Thu, 12/1/05 2:46 PM (permalink)
                                        kidding, kidding!

Florida does have the best burger in the US at some little hole in the wall, right?
                                        well, so days one magazine.

But you have to admit, Florida has more than its fair share of chain restaurants.
                                        But, that's ok. OLD people have to eat too.

RibDog

• Total Posts: 593
                                          RE: Longhorns Thu, 12/1/05 5:51 PM (permalink)
                                          No problem, Score. We do have a lot of chains. Some actually good places if you can believe that. And yes, there a lot of holes in the wall also. I'm sure you can imagine which ones I go to. Not sure which place with the hamburger they are talking about. Would be interested to know.

John

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                                            RE: Longhorns Thu, 12/1/05 6:32 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by RibDog

No problem, Score. We do have a lot of chains. Some actually good places if you can believe that. And yes, there a lot of holes in the wall also. I'm sure you can imagine which ones I go to. Not sure which place with the hamburger they are talking about. Would be interested to know.

John

Here in Gainesville, that "hole in the wall" burger would be "Mac's Drive Thru". And, as I've stated before, we're chain city here. Waffle House? You got it. TGI Friday's, yep, Dred Lobster, yep, we have em' all.

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3660
                                              RE: Longhorns Thu, 12/1/05 8:04 PM (permalink)
                                              This is my first post. I have been reading the past couple of days and wondering if this is really a site for Roadfood..............all I have seen is chains..........Am I dumb or missing something?

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
                                                • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                                • Roadfood Insider
                                                RE: Longhorns Thu, 12/1/05 9:10 PM (permalink)

I suggest you do a bit of research using the Search engine provided on the top of the 'Forum's Page'.You will find literally thousands of posts that are NOT chain oriented.

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
                                                  RE: Longhorns Thu, 12/1/05 9:23 PM (permalink)
                                                  The Longhorns will be dining on Buffalo this coming weekend, preparing to kick some Trojan a** in the few weeks after.

I predict the buffalo meat to be tender, while the horse meat might be tougher.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                                                    RE: Longhorns Fri, 12/2/05 3:11 AM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by Greymo

This is my first post. I have been reading the past couple of days and wondering if this is really a site for Roadfood..............all I have seen is chains..........Am I dumb or missing something?
                                                    From Washington D.C., close to the home of some of our most militant anti-chain posters. Verrry interesting.

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3660
                                                      • Location: Marriottsville, MD
                                                      RE: Longhorns Fri, 12/2/05 9:03 AM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by mr chips

quote:

From Washington D.C., close to the home of some of our most militant anti-chain posters. Verrry interesting.

I am sorry I said anything. I do not happen to be a militant anti-chain poster. I was just wondering. Please excuse me. I happen to like a lot of chain restaurants. I just purchased a copy of "Roadfood" and the lady at the bookstore told me about this site. After reading some of the book, I thought it would be lots of fun to come to this site and see what it is all about. So now I have seen....ok? I do not mean to offend anyone.

Scorereader

RE: Longhorns Fri, 12/2/05 10:50 AM (permalink)
                                                        Actually Greymo: I'm thinking Mr. Chips is infering that perhaps you are one of the regular anti-chain posters, disguised as Greymo. (is that right Mr. C?) It's happened before.

Personally, there are some local chains I like. In fact, just last night I ate at the Silver Diner out in Rockville. I had a burger with BBQ rub, bacon and smoked gouda (2 thick slices). Out standing. My wife had the Maryland Benedict (lump crab cakes instead of ham).
                                                        But, I HAVE been particularly brutal to the Waffle House chain. I'm not sure if that got me placed in Mr. C's "militant" group, but nevertheless, most people tend to talk about local places. Which can include regional chains, like Silver Diner and Five Guys or even mini-local chains like Faccia Luna, and Rocklands.

All in all, though, I think you'll find everyone here to be very passionate about food, local eateries, and new finds. There's even a group of East Coast hot dog lovers who have been taking Hot Dog stand road trips together!

Welcome to the site.

roossy90

• Location: columbus, oh
                                                          RE: Longhorns Fri, 12/2/05 10:00 PM (permalink)
                                                          quote:

quote:
                                                          Originally posted by mr chips

quote:

I am sorry I said anything. I do not happen to be a militant anti-chain poster. I was just wondering. Please excuse me. I happen to like a lot of chain restaurants. I just purchased a copy of "Roadfood" and the lady at the bookstore told me about this site. After reading some of the book, I thought it would be lots of fun to come to this site and see what it is all about. So now I have seen....ok? I do not mean to offend anyone.

Check out some of the other posts in other categories, this is really a most interesting site and I spend a lot of time here learning new things.. I have been here since August-2005 I think...
                                                          Peruse the site.. Many things are discussed here, and not just all food...
                                                          I love it!

V960

• Total Posts: 2429
                                                            • Location: Kannapolis area, NC
                                                            RE: Longhorns Thu, 12/15/05 11:56 AM (permalink)
                                                            Ask if Bill Dukes is one of the owners.

If not just another joint for lunch. If he is an owner...good stuff will happen.

HE will stop by your table and ask if everything is ok. If not he will not only fix it but dinner is on him.

Great guy...6'6" at least and wonderful person. Sold all (my understanding anyway) of his holdings in Charlotte.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 38

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com