The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Looking For Jewish Krupnick Mix

rockfest

• Total Posts: 31
Looking For Jewish Krupnick Mix Fri, 02/9/07 12:19 PM (permalink)
Years ago back in 1990 while on a road trip through NY’s Catskill Mountains called South Fallsburg I stopped for some groceries. While shopping bought a dry mix of Kosher mushroom barley soup. I'd never tried it before but with two of my favorite soup ingredients, how could I go wrong.?

I didn’t try it until I got home… and I LOVED it but never was able to track it down at any store selling Kosher foods around here in western Mass. I forgot about it until a few days ago.

There's a Jewish soup called krupnick that's made from mushroom and barley and one company that makes it is Osem http://www.golangourmet.com/other/soup.html (at the bottom). The only other place I’ve seen it on the web is on eBay being sold by someone from Australia! Unless I can find some local store in the Springfield MA area that sells it, I can only get it on the web that means S&H. I want to be sure I have the right product because if I can find it I intend to I buy it in bulk.

Does anyone know of any other Kosher mushroom barley soup mixes made by any OTHER company?

Thanks!

Ashphalt

• Total Posts: 1644
    RE: Looking For Jewish Krupnick Mix Fri, 02/9/07 12:36 PM (permalink)
    No help, but this makes me wonder about something similar.

In the early 90s we were able to buy dried mushrooms, just regular white mushrooms at most supermarkets. They came in a small plastic tub, maybe 1/2 cup volume, and were a product of Israel. They were pretty inexpensive and made a great addition to a lot of dishes. Then they disappeared.

Does anyone know if these are still around in other parts of the country? Also, I hope your soup wasn't made by the same company as our mushrooms. I'd sample anything before buying "wholesale."

rockfest

RE: Looking For Jewish Krupnick Mix Fri, 02/9/07 12:57 PM (permalink)
      I've seen such dried mushrooms. Just a year ago I bought some at a small grocery store in Chicopee MA called Fruit Fair. Of course you could always dry fresh mushrooms. My dad used to pick wild mushrooms and dried them in the oven. He'd leave the oven door cracked open and have the heat VERY low. The scent was marvelous!

Sneetch

• Total Posts: 393
        RE: Looking For Jewish Krupnick Mix Fri, 02/9/07 3:10 PM (permalink)
        rockfest - i have seen those long cellophane tubes of mushroom barley soup mix made also by Manischewitz and Streit's in NJ/NY stores...perhaps they do mailorder?

rockfest

RE: Looking For Jewish Krupnick Mix Fri, 02/9/07 4:14 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Sneetch

rockfest - i have seen those long cellophane tubes of mushroom barley soup mix made also by Manischewitz and Streit's in NJ/NY stores...perhaps they do mailorder?

Thanks Sneetch. I haven't really begun the local search until I was sure of the company. But should it not be available except on the web, it won't hurt to try whatever other companies are locally available. It just occured to me I have a friend who lives in NYC and we always exchange inexpensive Xmas gifts. I'll have a suggestion for her next Xmas LOL

Tedbear

• Total Posts: 1832
            RE: Looking For Jewish Krupnick Mix Fri, 02/9/07 7:13 PM (permalink)
            I know that I have seen Osem soup mixes in my local Shop-Rite in Central NJ. I can't guarantee that they still carry them, but I do recall seeing them in the past. The next time that I remember to do so, I will look in their "Ethnic Food" aisle to see if it is still on the shelf.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
              RE: Looking For Jewish Krupnick Mix Fri, 02/9/07 9:31 PM (permalink)
              I guess my suggestion would be to go to one of the larger grocery chains in your area and see if they have a Kosher section.Or talk to the manager of the store and see if one of his distibutors carries it.Quite often they will order it for you...at least we did when I was in the grocery business...

rockfest

RE: Looking For Jewish Krupnick Mix Sat, 02/10/07 10:27 AM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by Tedbear
                The next time that I remember to do so, I will look in their "Ethnic Food" aisle to see if it is still on the shelf.

Thanks Tedbear. ShopRite moved out of this region about 15 years ago. But I think there are still some in CT.

rockfest

RE: Looking For Jewish Krupnick Mix Sat, 02/10/07 10:36 AM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by annpeeples

I guess my suggestion would be to go to one of the larger grocery chains in your area and see if they have a Kosher section.Or talk to the manager of the store and see if one of his distibutors carries it.Quite often they will order it for you...at least we did when I was in the grocery business...

About 5 years ago I was at a seminar on the Catskills held at the Jewish Community Center in Longmeadow. I don't remember why I asked someone there where I could find the biggest selection of Kosher foods. They said at a BigY nearby supermarket. Was I looking for the krupnick? I can't remember. All do I remember buying were mushroom soup bullions made by Thelma. It was having one of those a few days ago that reminded me of the krupnick.

I do intend to start calling stores but I wanted to pin down the company first. The more I think about it, I think it was Osem. The name meant nothing seeing it sold in envelopes. But that yellow-red container...

rockfest

RE: Looking For Jewish Krupnick Mix Sun, 02/11/07 11:58 AM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Sneetch

I went to a local supermarket to check out their Kosher section and they did have some varieties of Manischewitz soups... According to this list
                    http://www.manischewitz.com/products/soup_seasonings/bagged_soup.php
                    they don't even make krupnick. There was one mix with mushrooms... their vegetable soup... but it only mentions the mushrooms on the checkout page.

I’m not sure if this list is definitive but Streit’s might not make it either http://www.dealtime.com/xFS?KW=Streit%27s&FN=Food+and+Drink&FD=0&x=18&y=11

Any other companies that make Kosher foods that you can think of? What I’m looking for might turn out to be Osem by default.

EDIT: Oops… spoke too soon. There’s another company Shavit’s… and they would have to have a yellow and red container… and they do make a mushroom soup mix but it doesn't say it has barley:
                    http://www.israeliproducts.com/page/IP/CTGY/Soup Damn!

I had no idea this search would be so involved. LOL

Sonny Funzio

• Total Posts: 902
                      RE: Looking For Jewish Krupnick Mix Mon, 02/12/07 9:39 AM (permalink)
                      Possibly the reason you are having trouble finding a similar soup is because krupnick is not so specific to Jewish food but instead, Polish food.
                      The soup was brought into popular kosher cuisine by Polish Jews.
                      Krupnick (or Krupnik) is Polish barley soup - "krupy" is the polish word for barley groats. It is still fairly popular in Poland, and is also served in places like the Kazimierz district of Krakow (Poland) which is the old Jewish quarter.

So, if you are looking for a mix ... try calling a few Polish stores (make sure they understand you are looking for the barley soup krupnik, not the Polish honey liqueur krupnik :-)

Or, even better, there are quite a few good recipes for krupnik soup that use barley and dried mushrooms (which is the way I'd make it) online.

rockfest

RE: Looking For Jewish Krupnick Mix Mon, 02/12/07 10:47 AM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by Sonny Funzio

Possibly the reason you are having trouble finding a similar soup is because krupnick is not so specific to Jewish food but instead, Polish food.
                        The soup was brought into popular kosher cuisine by Polish Jews.
                        Krupnick (or Krupnik) is Polish barley soup - "krupy" is the polish word for barley groats. It is still fairly popular in Poland, and is also served in places like the Kazimierz district of Krakow (Poland) which is the old Jewish quarter.

Thanks for that. As some know from the Polish Food thread I'm of that descent. My dad who speaks the language said that there was a Polish soup called krupnick and he pulled out a recipe out of a book… but it was barley vegetable. At this point I was just trying to find that mix I bought back in 90... and once I get a taste I can try to make it myself... or let my dad, who prides himself at making soups, try to duplicate it.

Yesterday I started calling local stores and having no luck and being about 90% sure that it has to be the Osem brand, I just bought some on line. In all my on-line searches it’s the only mix I’ve found… and given it’s origins are Polish, that might explain why it’s not as popular a kosher food as other items.

quote:
                        So, if you are looking for a mix ... try calling a few Polish stores (make sure they understand you are looking for the barley soup krupnik, not the Polish honey liqueur krupnik :-)

There are two stores in town that sell Polish imports... one a few blocks from my home. Ya, I'll them a try too.

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
                          RE: Looking For Jewish Krupnick Mix Thu, 03/8/07 11:56 AM (permalink)
                          Rockfest, I saw the Osem krupnick mix today in the kosher section of Wegman's grocery store today. Price was $1.59 for a packet and although there was only one left, looks like they come in a box of 12. If you'd like, next time I'm there, I could buy a pack and send it to you to try so you could see if it's the taste you remembered before you proceed to order in quantity.

rockfest

RE: Looking For Jewish Krupnick Mix Thu, 03/8/07 12:01 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by RubyRose

Rockfest, I saw the Osem krupnick mix today in the kosher section of Wegman's grocery store today. Price was $1.59 for a packet and although there was only one left, looks like they come in a box of 12. If you'd like, next time I'm there, I could buy a pack and send it to you to try so you could see if it's the taste you remembered before you proceed to order in quantity.

Thanks for the kind offer but I was able to buy some on-line. These came in larger plastic containers. It's not exactly as I remember it from 17 years ago... probably because they changed the recipe. But I still like it. Now that I have a better idea what I'm shooting for I've started to make my own using Thelma mushroom bullion and barley.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com