Looking for Chicago Style Pizza in Chicago

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
pnwchef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2357
Re:Looking for Chicago Style Pizza in Chicago 2013/04/18 11:26:28 (permalink)

gostillerz: Portillo's looks likea place that does a lot of menu items, The sausage they serve looks great, it's charred on the grill, looks like something well worth trying. That being said, the Italian Beef at Al's looks more original, like it is full of flavor and melts in your mouth. After Chicago, it's a flight to NYC and then to Philly for that Roast Pork you just talked about................I am looking forward to these great sandwiches..............

Buddy, I'll be going to the one on Ontario St, it's just a few blocks from my Hotel. I will not have a car, but it isn't beneath me to sit on the curb to eat a great sandwich.............thanks for the tip on the Italian ice

hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1080
Re:Looking for Chicago Style Pizza in Chicago 2013/04/18 15:54:13 (permalink)
I am by no means an Italian beef expert, but I have sampled quite a few in my time.  In my opinion Al's is overall better but I think Portillo's is the better one to have first.  I think the giardiniera is more traditional at Portillo's and it's the baseline I use to judge other's by.  The pepper mixture at Al's is dominated by red pepper flakes which I like but almost overwhelm the sandwich and took some getting used to.  There is no question that the fries are better at Al's.  I do think it might be wise to accept the above suggestion since you are staying right there to try a half of a sandwich at both places.  I'd be interested to hear what you think.

As for pizza, I've stated here before that my favorite is Pequod's but it has to be ordered with extra cheese and extra sauce.  Here is a link to the story that made me start ordering it that way.  It would be worth the train or cab ride to get.   I have still not made it to burt's for a comparison:

http://chicago.seriouseats.com/2011/04/chicago-essential-pequods-pizza-review-daniel-zemans.html
Samsquantch
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
Re:Looking for Chicago Style Pizza in Chicago 2013/04/18 16:28:34 (permalink)
Whoever earlier mentioned Vito and Nicks is RIGHT ON...but sadly, sure there is no way he has time to go that far...but my oh my...almost the gold standard for real Chicago style cracker crust...just had it for first time before we moved away....waited too long!

Chicago Oven Grinders?...it's been years....but I'll bet he'd love it....simply nothing like it...barely can even be called a pizza...more like a pot pie....but good nonetheless.....right across the street from St. Valentines Day Massacre site....which is hard to believe now, as this is the epicenter of all that is yuppie in Chicago....

As for the Italian Beef debate......Al's is more authentic....and wonderful...but God help me....I like Portillos more...chain or not...
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 519
Re:Looking for Chicago Style Pizza in Chicago 2013/04/18 18:03:26 (permalink)
HOGIE

First off, Portillo's is a complete waste of money. Stale bread, beef as tough as asphalt. Save your money for a beef from Al's. Now, pizza...cracker crust is the only way to go. South side, Nick & Vitos is a must. If you up north, try Barnaby's..they have a few locations, each is individually owned and operated, our fav is in DesPlaines.

When I get home the first place we go is Portillo's at North Ave. and Bloomingdale out by where you live, so I'm curious where you've had bad experiences with them. I must've eaten at 10 locations hundreds of times and I've never, ever had stale bread or even remotely tough beef.

pnwchef
  • Total Posts : 2357
Re:Looking for Chicago Style Pizza in Chicago 2013/04/19 09:49:11 (permalink)
Bonk

HOGIE

First off, Portillo's is a complete waste of money. Stale bread, beef as tough as asphalt. Save your money for a beef from Al's. Now, pizza...cracker crust is the only way to go. South side, Nick & Vitos is a must. If you up north, try Barnaby's..they have a few locations, each is individually owned and operated, our fav is in DesPlaines.

When I get home the first place we go is Portillo's at North Ave. and Bloomingdale out by where you live, so I'm curious where you've had bad experiences with them. I must've eaten at 10 locations hundreds of times and I've never, ever had stale bread or even remotely tough beef.

Bonk, it looks like most of the RF Members are saying good things about Portillo's, they seem to all be surprised that a chain restaurant is doing the job their doing. I think thats a plus for all of us, now we will not have to travel to just one location, there may be more of the locations to choose from...............Whats nice about the location of Al's and Portillo's on Ontario St is, they are a block apart. I think I'm going to be undecided until I start out walking to these locations in June.......................pnwc
brisketboy
  • Total Posts : 1089
Re:Looking for Chicago Style Pizza in Chicago 2013/04/19 10:50:04 (permalink)
I can't speak to this subject except for what I know. Having grown up on Chicago's north side really close to Wrigley Feild I can tell you that you can't stand on any given street corner near Clark and Montrose and swing a dead cat (sorry PETA) without hitting at least two mom and pop joints that sell really thin crust pies. One that comes immediatly to mind is Angelo's on Montrose near Albany Ave. The only time I was near one of them deep dish monstrosities was when my in-laws flew into town from Detroit. I was not impressed.

carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:Looking for Chicago Style Pizza in Chicago 2013/04/19 12:14:32 (permalink)
Just thought I'd mention that, besides really good Italian beef, Portillo's serves up very tasty char-broiled burgers, along with an impressive chocolate cake. 
jorenmathew
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
Re:Looking for Chicago Style Pizza in Chicago 2013/05/20 04:37:19 (permalink)
Good to know about this, I am going to chicago , surely go there and enjoy the holidays
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 637
Re:Looking for Chicago Style Pizza in Chicago 2013/05/20 08:02:48 (permalink)
Been a long time since I was in Chicago, but I really liked:

Al's for an Italian beef.  White Castle for a couple of burgers (only have em frozen in Maryland - it's a short walk from Midway).  Lou Malnati's for deep dish pizza.  Billy Goat for one cheezborger cheezborger (not that great, but I'm a nostalgia/SNL chump).  Portillo's for a Chicago style hot dog (no sport peppers, I'm a panty-waist).

I know it's a short trip fpr you, but if you have time, the Field Museum is excellent.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1