Looking for FRESH Spinach Dip Recipe

Author
GetMeRexKramer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
2011/10/14 14:55:59 (permalink)

Looking for FRESH Spinach Dip Recipe

Hi all, long time gone but back now.

I am presently visting Greybull, WY and there is a restaurant here at the Historic Hotel in Greybull. They serve a Spinach Dip here that is okay, but the salt content is outrageous. They are also charging $4.50 for a tiny cup of it.

I started thinking "Why can't I make my own?" Well after searching the net for a decent recipe I thought I would come here and see if any of the members might have a recipe that is made from fresh things and not from packaged things (and yes, I know fresh spinach is seasonal).

What I am running across on the net is a lot , if not all of the recipes are calling for the packaged soup mixes (Knorr, Lipton, etc) and these are all full of salt. I want a recipe where it can be made from real ingredients. I'm not sure what exactly the soup mixes are being needed for.

If anyone can help, I would appreciate it. I checked the forum and found a thread on Spinach recipes but nothing for a Spinach dip.

Thanks Gang!!

Rex

10 Replies Related Threads

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10353
    Re:Looking for FRESH Spinach Dip Recipe 2011/10/14 15:42:57 (permalink)
    Fresh Spinach Dip
    2 C finely chopped fresh Spinach
    1 Bunch of finely chopped Green Onions
    1 8 oz. can of finely chopped Water Chestnuts
    2 TBSP Light Mayo
    1 1/2 C of Plain Non-fat Yogurt
    1/4 C finely Shredded Carrots
    1/4 C of Finely Chopped Green or Red Pepper (Optional)
    2-3 TBSP of Herbs Provance OR Mrs. Dash's spices
    Salt & White Pepper to taste
    Combine all ingredients and chill at least 3 hours before serving.
    post edited by Foodbme - 2011/10/14 15:48:49
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8315
    Re:Looking for FRESH Spinach Dip Recipe 2011/10/14 15:47:54 (permalink)
    Sounds like a good recipe.

I've always used the Knorr's Leek Soup recipe.

Nothing wrong with a frozen block of spinach. 
    Rusty246
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2414
    Re:Looking for FRESH Spinach Dip Recipe 2011/10/14 16:02:54 (permalink)
    I'm a Knorr's freak too, but then I'm a salt-o-holic.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:Looking for FRESH Spinach Dip Recipe 2011/10/14 17:42:18 (permalink)
    Cream cheese, sour cream, bacon, crisped and crunched up fresh shallots finely chopped, a few dashes of Tabasco, granulated chicken seasoning instead of salt, pepper. melt the cream cheese and mix in the sour cream and add the spinach to wilt along with the shallots, adding in the spices, in along the way, save mixing in the bacon till you take it off the heat! While your at it make some garlic, cheese toast to put it on.
    GetMeRexKramer
    Junior Burger
    Re:Looking for FRESH Spinach Dip Recipe 2011/10/14 18:12:12 (permalink)
    Foodbone, that sounds exactly like what I am looking for. Thank you.

I have limited the intake of salt out of my diet since I have had digestive problems. I have had to limit a lot of what I eat and am now a label reader. I like Spinach and have used it quite often in breakfast with eggs.

I don't eat meat and depend heavily on vegetables/cheese (dairy)/etc. There's very little now that I can eat without pain. But I was interested in the spinach dip because although it was heavily salted it tasted interesting. I suspect that what I had - had cream cheese mixed with it. I would be willing to bet it was cream cheese and spinach mixed together.

Thanks to all for their contributions, it is much appreciated.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Looking for FRESH Spinach Dip Recipe 2011/10/14 19:00:01 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

Cream cheese, sour cream, bacon, crisped and crunched up fresh shallots finely chopped, a few dashes of Tabasco, granulated chicken seasoning instead of salt, pepper. melt the cream cheese and mix in the sour cream and add the spinach to wilt along with the shallots, adding in the spices, in along the way, save mixing in the bacon till you take it off the heat! While your at it make some garlic, cheese toast to put it on.

His salt intake is limited. Bacon is loaded with Sodium---Good but salty. 
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Looking for FRESH Spinach Dip Recipe 2011/10/14 19:01:48 (permalink)
    GetMeRexKramer

Foodbone, that sounds exactly like what I am looking for. Thank you.

I have limited the intake of salt out of my diet since I have had digestive problems. I have had to limit a lot of what I eat and am now a label reader. I like Spinach and have used it quite often in breakfast with eggs.

I don't eat meat and depend heavily on vegetables/cheese (dairy)/etc. There's very little now that I can eat without pain. But I was interested in the spinach dip because although it was heavily salted it tasted interesting. I suspect that what I had - had cream cheese mixed with it. I would be willing to bet it was cream cheese and spinach mixed together.

Thanks to all for their contributions, it is much appreciated.

Cream cheese mixes well with Sour Cream and Yogurt. Gives it some body.
    BelleReve
    • Total Posts : 1177
    Re:Looking for FRESH Spinach Dip Recipe 2011/11/06 11:03:35 (permalink)
    A little different, but I have a good recipe for a spinach-artichoke dip that's served warm.  It calls for frozen, chopped spinach but you could substitute fresh cooked, and it'd be even better.  Let me know if you want the recipe and I'll post.  
    GetMeRexKramer
    Junior Burger
    Re:Looking for FRESH Spinach Dip Recipe 2011/11/21 22:50:13 (permalink)
    Foodbme, sorry about screwing up your name above, I just caught that and my apologies to you. I did however, tweak your recipe a bit and use it to make spinach dip. I am on my 3rd batch now and it seems to work just fine. I left out the carrots,peppers, water chestnuts and green onions. I use either red or yellow onions and mince the bejeebers out of them. I use the Mrs Dash's (checked the ingredients and it seemed ok). You wouldn't believe how hard it is to find PLAIN YOGURT these days. I also made my own mayo and used that. This isn't the time of year for fresh spinach, so I had no choice and had to use frozen. I have determined that the bag spinach seems to work better than the box spinach does or then maybe its just me. But I do use the "chopped". Other than that, your recipe was the springboard for me and I'm happy.

BelleReve, I just recently experimented with artichokes in my spinach dip and had gotten some arty hearts in olive oil in the bakery section of the grocery store. It was okay but I don't know that I would do that on a regular basis. I usually make my dip, throw it in the fridge to firm up and hit on it here and there with some crackers for a snack.

But, please, feel free to post it in case I might want to try it or someone else may want it. 

Thanks all for the contributions, they were greatly appreciated!

Rex

BelleReve
    • Total Posts : 1177
    Re:Looking for FRESH Spinach Dip Recipe 2011/11/22 14:54:24 (permalink)
    GMRK - Might be too much sodium with the cream of mushroom soup, but here goes - also, it makes a lot, which you could probably halve the recipe   

Spinach and Artichoke Dip

2 small boxes of frozen, chopped spinach, thawed and any excess moisture squeezed out 
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 stick of butter
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    8 oz. pkg of cream cheese, cut in cubes for melting
    2 can artichoke hearts, drained, and cut in bite-sized pieces
    11/2-2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
    salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350
    In a large saucepan, saute onions in butter until soft, add spinach, cream cheese, and mushroom soup, and stir on low until cream cheese is melted.  Add artichoke hearts.  Pour mixture in a 13"x9" pan and top with mozzarella.  bake in 350 oven until cheese is melted on top.

Serve warm with tortilla chips

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1