The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Looking for a Recipe - Green Jello Salad

BunnySlippers

• Total Posts: 126
Looking for a Recipe - Green Jello Salad Sun, 11/19/06 8:19 AM (permalink)
Hello Friends!

A friend's mother is joining us for Thanksgiving this year and has a request for a gelatin/jello/congealed salad that was apparently a tradition some years ago. I usually find jello molds somewhat scary, especially the green ones, but in the spirit of hospitality I would like to oblige. The one I am looking for is made with lime jello, pineapple, cottage cheese and maybe miniature marshmallows.

Would any of you smart folks happen to have a recipe like this?

Thank you in advance
Bunny

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3663
    RE: Looking for a Recipe - Green Jello Salad Sun, 11/19/06 9:29 AM (permalink)
    SEA FOAM SALAD

1 (No. 2 1/2) can crushed
    pineapple
    1 (3 oz.) pkg. lemon jello
    1 (3 oz.) pkg. lime jello
    1 tsp. salt
    1 c. dry cottage cheese
    1 c. mayonnaise
    1/2 c. nuts

Drain syrup from pineapple. Add enough water to syrup
    to make 2 cups. Heat to boiling point. Dissolve lemon and
    lime jello in boiling liquid. Add salt. Cool until slightly
    thickened. When beginning to congeal, fold in cottage cheese,
    mayonnaise, crushed pineapple and nuts. Pour into mold or
    9-inch square pan. Place in refrigerator to chill and set.
    Serve on lettuce leaf, topped with a touch of mayonnaise.

MARSHMALLOW LIME SALAD MOLD

1 (8 oz.) can crushed
    pineapple
    1 (3 oz.) pkg. lime jello,
    unsweetened
    1 c. cold water
    1 (16 oz.) pkg. cottage cheese
    1 c. small marshmallows
    1/2 c. boiling water
    lettuce leaves

Drain pineapple, reserve liquid. Dissolve jello in
    boiling water. Add cold water to reserved pineapple juice to
    make 1 cup. Stir into gelatin. Chill until partly thickened.
    Stir in cottage cheese, marshmallows and pineapple. Pour into
    slightly chilled 9 x 5-inch loaf pan or a 5 cup mold. Chill 2
    hours. Unmold. Serve on lettuce leaves.

Pwingsx

• Total Posts: 2170
      RE: Looking for a Recipe - Green Jello Salad Sun, 11/19/06 5:34 PM (permalink)
      I make something similar, but I don't use mayonnaise or cottage cheese. I use cream cheese.

murbike

• Total Posts: 30
        RE: Looking for a Recipe - Green Jello Salad Sun, 11/19/06 6:42 PM (permalink)
        Mayonnaise and Jello?
        Good God, people. You are messing with ingredients in the wrong way here.

Those two don't go together in any way. It's like microwaving ice cream, or frozen hot chocolate. It's just wrong. For the good of humanity, stop it.

tarragon

• Total Posts: 354
          RE: Looking for a Recipe - Green Jello Salad Sun, 11/19/06 7:22 PM (permalink)
          I've got a very similar recipe but instead of mayo, it calls for a small container of cool whip. I don't use the crushed nuts in it because my daughter is allergic to nuts; it's still tastes very delicious and is a part of our holiday meals at both Thanksgiving & Christmas. So yes, we will be having it on Thursday.

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3663
            RE: Looking for a Recipe - Green Jello Salad Sun, 11/19/06 8:20 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by murbike

Mayonnaise and Jello?

Those two don't go together in any way. It's like microwaving ice cream, or frozen hot chocolate. It's just wrong. For the good of humanity, stop it.

This recipe has been around for years and years.............saw this dish at nearly every church supper that I ever attended. It was very popular and the person that would bring it always went home with an empty dish.............so don't knock it until you have tried it.

PCC

• Total Posts: 111
              RE: Looking for a Recipe - Green Jello Salad Sun, 11/19/06 8:23 PM (permalink)
              I grew up eating the marshmellow, cottage cheese and crushed pineapple recipe, so I would say that is the one that was requested.

If putting jello in a mold scares you, why not put it in a pan and cut it in squares to serve? Tastes just as good.

When I use a mold I spray the inside with pam and unmold the jello ahead of time on a flat pan, then carefully put the mold back on top of the jello and turn the pan upside down.

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
                RE: Looking for a Recipe - Green Jello Salad Sun, 11/19/06 10:29 PM (permalink)
                An old post of mine:

Here’s one that we had every Thanksgiving growing up, and I now make it every year for tradition’s sake and because my daughter loves it. I’m not sure if it has a real name; we always just called it the “green stuff”.

1 small box of lime Jello
                1 small box of lemon Jello
                1 can of crushed pineapple (14 oz??)
                1 small package of cream cheese (3 oz?? – let this soften)
                1 cup of mayo
                1 can of Eagle brand sweetened milk
                1 cup chopped pecans (if possible, use “fresh” pecans, not Planters)

Mix lime and lemon Jello with 2 cups hot water, then set aside to cool some. Stir in pineapple with juice. Mix the cream cheese, mayo, and Eagle brand until smooth. Add this and the pecans to the jello and mix well. Pour into a 9x13 glass baking dish and refrigerate overnight. Cut into 2-3” squares to serve.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  RE: Looking for a Recipe - Green Jello Salad Sun, 11/19/06 11:34 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by murbike

Mayonnaise and Jello?

I would normally agree with your thinking but the mixture of the two is actually good. gram Pat made these things every year, she was 92 when she passed.

fabulousoyster

• Total Posts: 1855
                    RE: Looking for a Recipe - Green Jello Salad Mon, 11/20/06 8:53 AM (permalink)
                    Plain green jello with maraschino cherries is on my Thanksgiving table every year. Over the years, I see that thats often the "children's version" of cranberry sauce. Very refreshing. I learned that from several parents, my children won't eat cranberry but they'll eat green jello. Ok with me..... I like green jello too, there are many "sea" salads, one with pears and cream cheese is my favorite.

lorettalockhorn

• Total Posts: 7
                      RE: Looking for a Recipe - Green Jello Salad Mon, 11/20/06 9:14 AM (permalink)
                      GREYMO, I used to consider Sea Foam Salad to be Little Old Lady Food! That recipe is exactly as I've made it for no telling ow many church potlucks.

Recipe #1, that is. I've never had the one with marshmallows. Scary!

BunnySlippers

• Total Posts: 126
                        RE: Looking for a Recipe - Green Jello Salad Mon, 11/20/06 9:33 AM (permalink)
                        Thank you so much. You all are the best! The Marshmallow Lime Salad from Greymo sounds like the one.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
                        Bunny

Dipstick

• Total Posts: 337
                          RE: Looking for a Recipe - Green Jello Salad Mon, 11/20/06 9:43 AM (permalink)
                          Don't mean to go off topic, but this reminded me of the line comedian Louie Anderson used to say when a relative would show up for a holiday meal with the green jello mold.....

What?! Did your aquarium freeze up?!

Pwingsx

• Total Posts: 2170
                            RE: Looking for a Recipe - Green Jello Salad Mon, 11/20/06 11:29 AM (permalink)
                            Hey, if you have a problem with the sea foam salad, you'll love the version I grew up with.

1 sm box lime jello
                            1 sm box lemon jello
                            chopped celery
                            grated carrots

with a big dollop of Miracle Whip on top.

Believe it or not, I actually like it.

mbrookes

• Total Posts: 1350
                              RE: Looking for a Recipe - Green Jello Salad Mon, 11/20/06 12:58 PM (permalink)
                              This recipe is from my 9th grade home-ec class in 1959. Don't let the horseradish scare you. It doesn't make the salad hot, just "brightens" the other flavors.

1 pkg lime Jello
                              1/2 cup mayonaise
                              1 cup cottage cheese(Small curd)
                              1 small can crushed pineapple (drain & save juice)
                              1/2 cup chopped pecans
                              1 Tablespoon prepared horseradish

Make Jello using pineapple juice and water. Chill until it begins to set.
                              Beat until foamy and add the rest of the ingredients, stirring well.
                              Chill until firm.

Salustra

• Total Posts: 510
                                RE: Looking for a Recipe - Green Jello Salad Tue, 12/12/06 1:52 PM (permalink)
                                mbrookes-You beat me to it! That was my Grandmother's signature contribution to decades of church potlucks. She put it in an rectangular pyrex dish with single marachino cherries spaced so that, when cut, each square had a cherry in the middle of it. Oddly enough, her recipe card calls it "Horseradish Salad"...

theoldcartooner

RE: Looking for a Recipe - Green Jello Salad Fri, 12/22/06 7:22 PM (permalink)
                                  I have really enjoyed reading all the post from this topic. I was searching for a recipe for the "green stuff" becasue for some reason my Mom asked me to make it this year. This was a jello salad that was brought to a Christmas dinner by my Aunt Betty about fifty years ago. She used to bring it every year. When she passed away the recipe went with her. For quite a few years we did without it, but one evening while discussing what we would all bring for Thanksgiving Dinner, the "green stuff" was brought up. For the last few years we have pass this dish around from person to the next, each one trying to bring what they thought the salad was. All have struck out. To be honest, I don't think we really remember. This year it is my turn. I didn't really follow any of the recipes, I combined them all, even the horseradash. What made this fun was reading all of the responses.
                                  Thanks... the wife of the oldcartooner

The Kid

• Total Posts: 1
                                    RE: Looking for a Recipe - Green Jello Salad Sun, 12/24/06 11:23 PM (permalink)
                                    We call this GRANDAMA'S GREEN STUFF

We have been making Green Stuff since we took over fixing holiday meals after Grandma passed away. During our Holiday meals everyone would say "pass the Green Stuff". Grandma would get her feathers all ruffeled and say "I don't make stuff". We lovingly call it Green Stuff to this day.

Since we have a large family get together it is hard to make a little batch of this.

2 lg pkg Lime Jello
                                    1 lg can crushed pineapple with juice-chilled
                                    1 sml can crushed pineapple with juice-chilled
                                    2 8oz pkg cream cheese
                                    1 pt heavy whipping cream

Mix jello with 4 cups boiling water and stir until disolved.
                                    Add both cans chilled pineapple. Do not add extra water.
                                    Chill until almost set.
                                    Empty set jello into large bowl (we use the largest bowl of the 4 stacking mixing bowl set)
                                    With hand mixer, blend in chuncks of cream cheese until both pkgs are mixed in. Put jello mixture back in refrigerator while whipping cream. We like ours with small chunks of the cream cheese not smooth.
                                    Whip whipping cream until very stiff. You may need to add a drop or lemon juice.
                                    Gently fold whipped cream into jello mixture and return to refrigerator.

Sometimes we will garnish with chopped pecans or walnuts. Grandmas always had them mixed in but we like it with just a garnish.

Like so many others, Grandma did not share this recipe so by trial and error we have recreated it. It is also very good with any flavor of Red Jello.

Raham94

• Total Posts: 1
                                      RE: Looking for a Recipe - Green Jello Salad Sat, 08/9/08 7:20 PM (permalink)

Hello,
                                      I believe I have the one you all are looking for. I have used this every Thanksgiving.

It is called Dream Salad

1 small box of Lime jello
                                      1 8 oz. package of cream cheese softened
                                      1/8 tsp salt
                                      1/2 C. Mayonnaise
                                      1C. Chopped Celery
                                      1/2 C. finely chopped walnuts
                                      1 C. whipped cream thawed from container
                                      1/2 pound mini marshmallows
                                      1 C. Cottage Cheese
                                      1 3/4 C. Boiling water
                                      1 (8oz.) can crushed drained pineapple
                                      1.Dissolve gelatin in boiling water.
                                      2. Beat cream cheese, salt, and mayonnaise until light and fluffy. Add gelatin, celery,nuts,whipped cream,marshmallows, and cottage cheese, and pineapple.
                                      place in 9x13 baking dish cover and chill until set.
                                      Enjoy :)
                                      I always omit celery because my husband doesn''t like it but this is still the best jello salad on Thanksgiving day

MotherNature_

• Total Posts: 103
                                        RE: Looking for a Recipe - Green Jello Salad Tue, 09/9/08 1:08 AM (permalink)
                                        Our version of this, give or take some of the aforementioned ingredients, we called "Watergate Salad."
                                        Pineapple, nuts, marshmallows, etc.

Ahi Mpls.

• Total Posts: 922
                                          RE: Looking for a Recipe - Green Jello Salad Sat, 09/27/08 4:39 AM (permalink)
                                          MY grandma always made the green stuff with instant pistaschio pudding, crushed canned pineapple, mini marshmallows, maybe pecans and cool-whip.........haven't had that in a million years miss you gramma!!!

fabulousoyster

• Total Posts: 1855
                                            RE: Looking for a Recipe - Green Jello Salad Sat, 11/29/08 9:21 AM (permalink)
                                            There are many variations, I took the recipe off the Kraft Jello website, it was very refreshing!!!

Creamy Fruited Lime Salad

1-1/2 cups boiling water
                                            1 pkg.(8-serving size) JELL-O Lime Flavor Gelatin
                                            1 can (8 oz.) crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
                                            1 cup LIGHT N' LIVELY Lowfat Cottage Cheese 1 pkg.
                                            (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
                                            1 cup thawed COOL WHIP Whipped Topping
                                            1/2 cup chopped PLANTERS Walnuts
                                            1/4 cup chopped maraschino cherries

STIR boiling water into gelatin in large bowl at least 2 minutes until completely dissolved. Stir in pineapple. Refrigerate 1-1/4 hours or until slightly thickened (consistency of unbeaten egg whites).

STIR cottage cheese into cream cheese in separate bowl until well blended. Gently stir in whipped topping until smooth. Beat into slightly thickened gelatin with wire whisk until well blended. Stir in walnuts and cherries. Pour into 6-cup mold sprayed with cooking spray.

REFRIGERATE 4 hours or until firm. Unmold. Store leftover salad in refrigerator.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                              • No New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                              • Read Message
                                              • Post New Thread
                                              • Reply to message
                                              • Post New Poll
                                              • Submit Vote
                                              • Post reward post
                                              • Delete my own posts
                                              • Delete my own threads
                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com