Looking for canopied drive-ins and walk-up dairy bars in central NC

Author
Heartbreaksoup
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 464
2013/10/16 09:26:33 (permalink)

Looking for canopied drive-ins and walk-up dairy bars in central NC

I'm almost positive that my next Circumnavigation (not for another four months) will see me in and around Shelby, Lexington, Durham, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and Charlotte for two or possibly three days.  I'm totally good with the barbecue places on my itinerary and do not need suggestions - I'm going to hit several on the NCBS Historic Trail and a few others besides - but what I need to break up the pork are dairy bars (like these in northern Alabama: http://www.al.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2013/05/6_old-fashioned_walk-up_dairy.html ) and maintained canopied drive-ins from the 1940s-1960s that are still in this area.  Quite old hot dog places such as Pulliam's in Winston-Salem, too.  Any thoughts?

4 Replies Related Threads

Wabbit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 477
    Re:Looking for canopied drive-ins and walk-up dairy bars in central NC 2013/10/16 19:19:25 (permalink)
    Try Kermit's hot dog house in Winston-Salem. Old school charm and good food. Cash only and they have breakfast. Foot long all the way with a Cheerwine is a winner. The car hops are always polite and quick. The place opened in the 60's in a old A&W location. Neighborhood is a little scruffy, but the place is clean and good. Bring cash, no plastic taken there.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5092
    Re:Looking for canopied drive-ins and walk-up dairy bars in central NC 2013/10/16 19:40:27 (permalink)
    Wish I could join you. Sounds like a great roadfood eatathon.
    Heartbreaksoup
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 464
    Re:Looking for canopied drive-ins and walk-up dairy bars in central NC 2013/10/18 18:30:30 (permalink)
    Kermit's sounds fantastic, and they open early!  How sweet, I'll be there first thing on the second day.  Keep the suggestions coming, and if the Big "D" in your Location is Durham, Twinwillow, then maybe we can do that.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    Re:Looking for canopied drive-ins and walk-up dairy bars in central NC 2013/10/23 10:45:24 (permalink)
    Living in Greensboro for three years, I just never found that type of place. My wife and I were always amazed when we moved from Central NY to Central NC and ice-cream stands were impossible to come by (aside from the walk up windows at Svensons). But, for a hotdog and ice cream, we'd go to Yum-Yums on Spring Garden Street in G'boro near UNC-G. Hotdog, cheerwine and a cone is par for the course there.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1