Looking for hamburger on CBS Sunday Morning Show

Author
gold_dog98
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2004/01/15 00:33:27 (permalink)

Looking for hamburger on CBS Sunday Morning Show

This past fall on one of the CBS Sunday Morning Show's a hamburger was covered which I am trying to locate. Unfortunately, I was only able to see part of the program. Does anyone remember seeing this show and segment? Of what very little I saw I think that the market from which it was served was located in a rural town in Illinois, Indiana, or Ohio (I think). The hamburger was made and served at a small rural grocery/market. I think that perhaps that there were not even any tables.

Sorry for the vagueness. I know that is not much to go on and that it is a long shot, but perhaps someone happened to see this particular program and can remember my mysterious hamburger joint. I quickly searched through a lot of posts on the board to no avail.

25 Replies Related Threads

JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Looking for hamburger on CBS Sunday Morning Show 2004/01/15 05:36:11 (permalink)
    More than a few times I've gone in search of something about which I have vague or incomplete information. I can tell you that more often than not, you'll succeed if you are just persistent (and you get to feel like a regular Dick Tracy).

I would visit the CBS Web site, locate the Sunday program (probably part of the News Department) and see if there are episode details for different dates. Learn as much as you can from what's pulbished online, and then email a polite letter with your specific question(s).

If you don't receive a reply, try again. CBS may be your best source for this information, so don't give up easily.

Good luck to you.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Looking for hamburger on CBS Sunday Morning Show 2004/01/15 05:49:52 (permalink)
    Cant find it yrt--but i seem to remeber someone here on some thread---who knows which---mentioning what sounds like this same place.Will look around for it,
    Ted Steak
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 60
    RE: Looking for hamburger on CBS Sunday Morning Show 2004/01/15 06:05:19 (permalink)
    I believe you are talking about the "Moon Burger", from Moonshine, IL. Here's a link: www.clarkcountyil.org/Communities/moonshine.htm
    geomotz
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: Looking for hamburger on CBS Sunday Morning Show 2004/01/15 07:09:35 (permalink)
    I can second that - It was the Moon Burger in Moonshine.
    Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Looking for hamburger on CBS Sunday Morning Show 2004/01/15 09:57:47 (permalink)
    It was the moon burger - I watched that segment too. I liked the lady saying "If you are still in here when the door is shut, you have to help clean up".
    gold_dog98
    Junior Burger
    RE: Looking for hamburger on CBS Sunday Morning Show 2004/01/15 18:06:53 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies to my post and the indentication of the Moonshine market and Moonburgers. I thought that I had conducted a thorough search; however, now that it has been pointed out to me I see that Silverspork (Moon Burger - 11/23) and Bushie (11/24) had posts right before me even referencing the CBS Sunday Morning Show. Oh well, sometimes I suppose I look too far for that which is right before me. Thanks for the help. I do not yet see any response to the qualities of the burgers or experience; however, from the webpage referenced above, at least it certainly looks like an interesting place to visit and try.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Looking for hamburger on CBS Sunday Morning Show 2004/01/15 18:38:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by gold_dog98

I do not yet see any response to the qualities of the burgers or experience; however, from the webpage referenced above, at least it certainly looks like an interesting place to visit and try.

I don't think any of us have ever been there, gold_dog. It's sure a place I want to try, though. I saw that segment and was dying to hit the road. (I think my wife made me rake the leaves or something, instead. )
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Looking for hamburger on CBS Sunday Morning Show 2004/01/16 02:40:40 (permalink)
    Why exactly did "Sunday Morning" do a report? Was it more about the store or their famous burger? Are the hamburgers at the Moonshine something special? Are the Tuttles particularly nice people? Or was this one of those stories that remind us of an America too quickly disappearing?
    Ted Steak
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 60
    RE: Looking for hamburger on CBS Sunday Morning Show 2004/01/16 06:28:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by JimInKy

Why exactly did "Sunday Morning" do a report? Was it more about the store or their famous burger? Are the hamburgers at the Moonshine something special? Are the Tuttles particularly nice people? Or was this one of those stories that remind us of an America too quickly disappearing?

Yes.
    Route 11
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 755
    RE: Looking for hamburger on CBS Sunday Morning Show 2004/01/19 11:41:46 (permalink)
    Oh, I wanna go!
    ZekeTheCat
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: Looking for hamburger on CBS Sunday Morning Show 2004/12/26 11:59:15 (permalink)
    Back on Oct 19,2004 I stopped in for a "burger visit" to the Moonshine store in rural Clark county Illinois. There really is no real town of Moonshine just the country store. It's very old, built back in the teens I think ,long and narrow with high , very ornate plastered ceiling - typical for that era general store type of buildings. It is not a restaurant but still operates a s country store with old counters on each side and old high shelves and cabinents against the walls. The walls probably haven't been painted in 40 years from their looks and the plaster is starting to fall off the wall in some places. There are a lot of old antique stuff hanging on the walls and otherwise on display - really a neat quaint old counrty store in the real sense- almost extinct anymore sad to say. There are no tables, just old church type pews next to the counters and a few folding chairs. The burgers are very good - 1/2" thick and juicy-$2/hamburger & $2.25 / cheeseburger. They're grilled up plain and you fix them up to your liking from a table in the middle of the store - mustard, ketchup, onions etc and salt & pepper from old Coke bottles. They are very good tasting burger but in all honesty I've had equally good bugers elsewhere too. NO plates or eating utinsels - they are served on a towel paper on a metal lid top from an ornamental metal can - the type you get caramel corn or cheese puffs, chips, in etc. Bottled pop or water only for drinks. Service was very fast, only a few minutes and you pay the bib overalled proprieter before you leave plus sign their guest book. They're only open till 1 PM. and the grill is shut off @ 12:30 prompltly so better to get there noon or earlier. It's about 10 to 15 miles south and east of I-70 at the Casey, Illinois exit - plenty of backroad country driving to get there - Mapquest helps. There were probably 8-10 people eating when I was there @ 11:30. They've had visitors from every state and several foreign countries. Well worth a visit and a second visit sometime I hope.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Looking for hamburger on CBS Sunday Morning Show 2004/12/26 18:51:42 (permalink)
    Zeke, thanks a bunch for the report. !!!!!!
    Ron Hayes
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Looking for hamburger on CBS Sunday Morning Show 2005/02/12 09:46:33 (permalink)
    I also want to know the name. I printed a map to the town. It was Moonshine Illinois. Just belowI70 between Hazel Dell and Annapolis. Anybody else find out the name of the store?
    ZekeTheCat
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Looking for hamburger on CBS Sunday Morning Show 2005/02/12 11:28:46 (permalink)
    The name of the store is:

Moonshine Store
    6017 E 300th Rd
    Martinsville, IL 62442
    (618) 569-9200

http://www.clarkcountyil.org/Communities/moonshine.htm

jwoff
    Junior Burger
    RE: Looking for hamburger on CBS Sunday Morning Show 2005/11/24 22:25:53 (permalink)
    quote:

This past fall on one of the CBS Sunday Morning Show's a hamburger was covered which I am trying to locate. Unfortunately, I was only able to see part of the program. Does anyone remember seeing this show and segment? Of what very little I saw I think that the market from which it was served was located in a rural town in Illinois, Indiana, or Ohio (I think). The hamburger was made and served at a small rural grocery/market. I think that perhaps that there were not even any tables.

Sorry for the vagueness. I know that is not much to go on and that it is a long shot, but perhaps someone happened to see this particular program and can remember my mysterious hamburger joint. I quickly searched through a lot of posts on the board to no avail.
    Putt
    Junior Burger
    RE: Looking for hamburger on CBS Sunday Morning Show 2006/01/22 00:41:53 (permalink)
    Just for the record, there is gonna be a bunch of bikes at
    Moonshine on the 8th of April.... C'mon and have a moonburger...

Putt...
    jeepguy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Looking for hamburger on CBS Sunday Morning Show 2006/01/22 04:21:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Putt

Moonshine on the 7th of April.... C'mon and have a moonburger...

Putt...
    Oh boy, i'll try not to miss that.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3152
    RE: Looking for hamburger on CBS Sunday Morning Show 2006/01/22 07:18:14 (permalink)
    That reminds me. Maybe ten years or more ago, my wife and I had just returned from playing a game of catch at the two "Field of Dreams" sites in Dyersville Iowa and we were hungry. We found an old white building that advertised fresh hamburgers probably within a ten mile radius from there. An elderly lady made us some using an electric frying pan that were just outstanding. I have no idea the places name, or even the town's, but it was somewhere in Iowa and they were truly memorable. All these years and both my wife and I remember that burger; memory is a strange animal at times.
    Putt
    Junior Burger
    RE: Looking for hamburger on CBS Sunday Morning Show 2006/01/22 13:25:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Putt

Moonshine on the 7th of April.... C'mon and have a moonburger...

Putt...

So far, about 100 bikes from several states (and at least 4 Canadians)
    Are going to show up at Moonshine for a burger...

Putt...
    ZekeTheCat
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Looking for hamburger on CBS Sunday Morning Show 2006/01/22 17:14:18 (permalink)
    Better let them know in advance that you're coming - they're just a small operation and aren't real happy when an unannouced large crowd show's up all at once.

http://www.clarkcountyil.org/Communities/moonshine.htm
    Austin City Limit
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Looking for hamburger on CBS Sunday Morning Show 2006/01/22 20:16:46 (permalink)
    Zeke~~~

I happen to be the "Local" that is organizing this "Moonshine Lunch Run"... I live 12 miles away from Moonshine and my mom grew up 1 mile North of the Moonshine store... I eat,,, at Moonshine about,,, 1 time a week on average...

I have Helen "In the Loop" and I told her that we were bringing at LEAST 200 bikers in on the April 8th... Her quote was???

quote:
    You Bring Em,,, I will Feed Em...

Course,,, if Putt keeps Putting this on every web site in the world,,, it really will be a "Field Of Dreams" moment in Moonshine!!!

" />

Putt was down here last year for the 1st annual Moonshine Lunch Run and is returning the 266 miles 1 way to eat again... He does not lie... We have 4 from Canada,,, 5 from Texas,,, 2 from Florida,,, 100 people total and growing by about 10 a day,,, 19 States,,, all,,, 2 1/2 months from the date of April 8th!!!

I am TRYING to keep track of the # so,,, if you are coming that day e-mail me and I will add you to "The List"!!!

Thanks Putt,,, and everyone let me know if you are coming!!!

aclhammond@joink.com

Putt
    Junior Burger
    RE: Looking for hamburger on CBS Sunday Morning Show 2006/01/22 23:34:43 (permalink)
    The 8th of April, not the 7th as I previously posted....
    Thanks Biddy for the correction...

Putt...

quote:
    Originally posted by Austin City Limit

Zeke~~~

I happen to be the "Local" that is organizing this "Moonshine Lunch Run"... I live 12 miles away from Moonshine and my mom grew up 1 mile North of the Moonshine store... I eat,,, at Moonshine about,,, 1 time a week on average...

I have Helen "In the Loop" and I told her that we were bringing at LEAST 200 bikers in on the April 8th... Her quote was???

quote:
    You Bring Em,,, I will Feed Em...

Course,,, if Putt keeps Putting this on every web site in the world,,, it really will be a "Field Of Dreams" moment in Moonshine!!!

" />

Putt was down here last year for the 1st annual Moonshine Lunch Run and is returning the 266 miles 1 way to eat again... He does not lie... We have 4 from Canada,,, 5 from Texas,,, 2 from Florida,,, 100 people total and growing by about 10 a day,,, 19 States,,, all,,, 2 1/2 months from the date of April 8th!!!

I am TRYING to keep track of the # so,,, if you are coming that day e-mail me and I will add you to "The List"!!!

Thanks Putt,,, and everyone let me know if you are coming!!!

aclhammond@joink.com

bettyboop
    Junior Burger
    RE: Looking for hamburger on CBS Sunday Morning Show 2008/03/28 04:14:18 (permalink)
    quote:

bettyboop
    Junior Burger
    RE: Looking for hamburger on CBS Sunday Morning Show 2008/03/28 04:16:13 (permalink)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGkBilF6GU8
    Jeep2000
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 59
    RE: Looking for hamburger on CBS Sunday Morning Show 2008/03/28 09:45:34 (permalink)
    Thanks for posting the video link!
    We were out fairly close to the Moonshine a couple of weeks ago, but, as I feared, when we called them, they said they take Sundays off.
    Have to hit it next time.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1