Looking for pit ideas

Author
zigfus
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 35
2004/03/23 16:46:26 (permalink)

Looking for pit ideas

Hi, I'm new to this site.

Anyone that has built a smoker this is for you.....

I am looking for plans and ideas for constructing my second 275 gallon oil tank smoker. I made one that I love but I ust found another tank and I want to build something a little different.

Any ideas or suggestions or pictures qwould be appreciated.

Thanks -Jeff

10 Replies Related Threads

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Looking for pit ideas 2004/03/23 17:13:04 (permalink)
    Hey Jeff... Had a similar topic not too long ago... Check out this link:
    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2720
    zigfus
    Junior Burger
    RE: Looking for pit ideas 2004/03/23 17:52:08 (permalink)
    Thanks UncleVic.

I have seen most of those before though. I did a lot of investigating when I built my last smoker. There is really no info out there for this size and shape of tank. Other than the clam shell opening style like Uncle Deweys BBQ in NJ uses.

I appreciate any ideas or suggestions. I'm good with the tools and the welder. So please, any ideas are welcome.

Thanks - Jeff.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Looking for pit ideas 2004/03/23 21:40:46 (permalink)
    Good Deal Jeff.. Ya, being a welder will certainly come in handy! Use the Search Feature on top of the page (top right) and type in BBQ Variations (like smoker, bbq, grill, etc)... You might find a ton of ideas off some of the older posts not showing anymore... Maybe look up some BBQ Folk that have a big grill (smoker) set up in parking lots around town and talk with them and check out their setup. I'm up in Michigan and folks doing large BBQ's around here are always proud to show off their cookers... (Just dont ask them for their sauce recipe... Bad News there)... Good Luck and do share some cooker plans if you come across any!
    zigfus
    Junior Burger
    RE: Looking for pit ideas 2004/08/27 14:44:48 (permalink)
    I know it's been a while but I finally got the new pit build underway after figuring out a gameplan and getting the necessities. I'm using 3-275 gallon heating oil tanks. #1 is for the smoking chamber, #2 has been cut up and welded together as an offest firebox and the 3rd one will be cut up welded into a warming oven or cold smoker because it will be 6 feet from the fire pit. The chamber will hold 2 whole pigs. It has 16+ square feet of rack space. The firebox will accomodate a 27" log and will also have a closable grill above the fire for burgers and dogs. All will be mounted to an 8x4 trailer.

I hope to be finished by mid october. Just in time for bacon and ham season. At the moment the main chamber and firebox have been cut and spot welded. I just wish I could post a picture and show you this Frankenstein's Monster in progress.
    Rusty246
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Looking for pit ideas 2004/08/27 15:25:38 (permalink)
    I REALLY appreciate the Lincoln Electric website. I've had a 55 gal drum in my backyard which has yet to transform itself into a grill! My husband is in his 2nd semester of welding classes. Maybe these instructions will give him some incentive.
    Bogeyman
    Junior Burger
    RE: Looking for pit ideas 2004/09/21 11:22:30 (permalink)
    I'd like to build a block pit in my back yard. Could anyone give me a nominal
    height for the grate to be above the fire ? Will the size of the pit have an
    effect on this ?

Patiently waiting.
    Jim in NC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: Looking for pit ideas 2004/09/21 11:34:23 (permalink)
    Check out this link...

http://www.ibiblio.org/lineback/bbq/wdh.htm
    4yourreview
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Looking for pit ideas 2004/10/04 07:31:06 (permalink)
    On a 275 drum

Our earliest designs had a hinged lid with the entire top comming up
    Good -- access to entire area Bad -- had to have some strength to open, extra engineering involved not to bend the lid, etc

Others I have seen had an area of about 1/2 of one side that opens (the ends stay with the main body) giving a Half-moon shape of the door.
    Good--less warpage of the metal Bad -- harder to access

Best Screen material I have found -- an old lime screen from a rock crusher -- wire material with 1/4 inch gaps -- stainless steel

One more note on these pits: Look to re-enforce the edges with extra metal to prevent warping

On the distance of a block pit -- we always went with 3 feet up -- you still may need to adjust your screen up or down some if your fire is a bit hot for those who call wood grilling barbequing.
    There is one person I know that had a couple of Oil drum pits and went to a block pit -- used the old lids on the pits to do a closed pit -- works great
    A 55 gal barrel works for a small wood pit -- cut at one of the ridges around the barrel -- at the ridge, a standard round screen will fit in the space -- use the top for a cover -- got a screen from an old charcoal grill and put a pipe from the bottom to the top to hold the screen up -- you can set a couple of rods from side to side to do the same thing == burn down some wood , you can cook chickens slow in about 1 1/2 -1 3/4 Hrs--Place Chicken on screen, cover check in 20 min to make sure it is ok -- Turning once every 25-30 min after that
    zigfus
    Junior Burger
    RE: Looking for pit ideas 2004/12/16 13:52:44 (permalink)
    Well, the pit was far enough done to cook a whole hog in it. It's amazing how plans never get done as quick as you thought they would. So I'm still putting the finishing touches on it but it works well. It needs latches and the second grill and a permanent grate in the firebox, but the swine was fine...22hours for an 80lb'er cooking at 200 degrees.

I have some pictures of it cooking away on Halloween if someone can post one or two...
    fcbaldwin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 388
    RE: Looking for pit ideas 2004/12/16 18:42:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by zigfus

Well, the pit was far enough done to cook a whole hog in it. It's amazing how plans never get done as quick as you thought they would. So I'm still putting the finishing touches on it but it works well. It needs latches and the second grill and a permanent grate in the firebox, but the swine was fine...22hours for an 80lb'er cooking at 200 degrees.

I have some pictures of it cooking away on Halloween if someone can post one or two...

zigfus,
    Go ahead and email me the pics and I'll put them up. In case they're real big files, please just send 1 picture per email, if you get my drift!

Frank

edit: oops: just send me a "hello" email thru roadfood and you will get my email address to send the pics to..
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1