Looking for some spicy soups....

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
TheHotPepper.com
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 322
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2006/10/21 18:11:08 (permalink)
Bacon fat is good stuff, but in a soup, it's going to sit at the top and every spoonful will taste like fat.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8392
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2006/10/21 18:18:03 (permalink)
Hotpepper,I respect your opinion,and your right to not like the sound of a recipe.I just want to point out that I have many soup recipes that call for a tbsp.or two of oil to saute some of the vegetables, and never have they been described as greasy, considering the volume of the other ingredients.I do have a wonderful hearty mexican soup recipe if you wish to see it, but it does include a bit of vegetable oil for sauteeing....otherwise-good luck on your quest and enjoy the already fine sounding recipes on this thread!
shortchef
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2006/10/23 14:02:30 (permalink)
And if you want to avoid the grease sitting on top, make your soup, refrigerate it, then scoop the fat. I'm sure that particular soup is just fine reheated. I'll try it and let you know.
Candyman_GH
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2006/10/23 18:06:03 (permalink)
Does anyone have any great recipes for Chicken Tortilla soup? I have been trying to find a good one and so far no luck.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2006/10/24 13:05:57 (permalink)
Candy, there is a thread about "tortilla soup" with links and some recipes. Just put that into the search here. Sounded like some good stuff to me. Sorry I do not know how to do those thread links.
Joe
boyardee65
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1460
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2006/10/24 13:32:01 (permalink)
Brazilian Black Bean Soup

1/2 lb bacon, diced
2 cups sweet onion, diced
1 cup celery, diced
1 cup carrot, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced fine
1-2 fresh red jalapenos, diced fine
3 oranges, peeled and segmented
2 cups washed, soaked, black turtle beans
4 cups chicken stock
2 dark beers of choice
1/2 tsp each oregano and cumin
salt and pepper to taste
fresh cilantro
sour cream

Render the bacon til it is crisp and remove from pot, reserving the fat.
Add onion, celery, carrot, garlic and sweat til translucent. Add jalapeno, oregano, cumin and cook one minute. Add one beer and chicken stock. Add beans and cook til tender. While this is cooking feel free to drink the other beer.(it's for the chef) After the beans are tender add the orange segments and bring back to a boil! This is neccisary so that the soup won't ferment. Serve hot with a dollop of sour cream and sprig of cilantro. Enjoy!!

boyardee65
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2006/10/24 19:23:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by boyardee65

1/2 lb bacon, diced
1 cup celery, diced
1 cup carrot, diced
4 cups chicken stock
2 dark beers of choice
salt and pepper to taste
fresh cilantro
sour cream

Add onion, celery, carrot, garlic and sweat til translucent. Add jalapeno, oregano, cumin and cook one minute. Add one beer and chicken stock. Add beans and cook til tender. While this is cooking feel free to drink the other beer.(it's for the chef) After the beans are tender add the orange segments and bring back to a boil! This is neccisary so that the soup won't ferment. Serve hot with a dollop of sour cream and sprig of cilantro. Enjoy!!

I forgot to tell you to add the bacon back into the soup for the last heating. Sorry. David O.

CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6394
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2006/10/26 14:29:54 (permalink)
Turkey Soup with Green Chiles

1 TBSP oil
1 cup yellow onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
freshly ground pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1 (4oz) can green chiles, drained and diced
2 jalapenos, seeded and minced
4 cups turkey stock
1 (14 1/2 oz) can crushed tomatoes in thick puree
2 cups cubed turkey
2 cups corn kernels
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

In soup pot over medium heat, warm oil
saute, onion & garlic until tender
add chili powder, salt & pepper, cumin, oregano, chiles mixing well
Add stock and tomatoes, bring to a boil
Reduce heat to medium low and simmer uncovered about 10 minutes
Add turkey, corn & cilantro simmer until heated through and flavors have a chance to blend (15 minutes)

apremerson
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 63
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2006/10/26 16:09:30 (permalink)
I had a version of Chicken Mole Poblano at Hale & Hearty in NYC and improvised my own once I got home. The following recipe is not specific, as I pretty much made it up as I went along.

Saute chopped onions, celery and garlic in oil to soften. Add a good quarter cup of jarred Mole and stir until it starts to soften. Add a quart or so of chicken stock, mix to combine and simmer 20 minutes. At this point, you can add more Mole, or thin with additional stock, based on your own taste. Add cooked pinto beans and roasted, peeled Poblano chilies, cut in strips. Simmer for 15 minutes for flavors to blend and then just before serving, stir in shredded chicken meat. You can use leftover roasted chicken or poach or broil a few chicken pieces just for the soup.

Not a recipe, but a suggestion- I think a Corn Chowder would benefit from chilies tremendously. I’m thinking maybe fresh Jalapenos added when the soup is started before pureeing and then roasted Poblanos or Anaheims added at the end.

The Spicy Chicken Wing inspired soup intrigues me. I think I’d sauté rice in oil with onions and garlic, add some bay leaves, salt and liquid (maybe half water, half broth) and cook it like any other rice, but I'd use four times the amount of liquid so that you ended up with a soup base.

Now comes the tricky part- how do you prepare the chicken that is going to be added to the soup? It could be a completely separate prepartion and just tossed into the soup when you ladle it up, but I think some experimentation could improve upon this idea.

The two recipes that follow are from Rick Bayless

Tortilla Soup
Yield: 6 to 7 cups, 4 to 6 servings

2 tablespoons lard or vegetable oil
1 medium onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 ripe, medium-small tomato, roasted or boiled, cored and peeled
1 1/2 quarts good broth, preferably poultry
Salt (the quantity will vary depending on the saltiness of the broth)
4 to 6 corn tortillas, preferably stale, store-bought ones
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 to 2 dried chiles pasillas, stemmed, seeded and deveined
8 ounces (about 2 cups) cubed Mexican queso fresco or other fresh cheese like farmer's cheese, or even Muenster or Monterey Jack
1 large lime, cut into 4 to 6 wedges

1. The broth flavoring. In a medium-size skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the lard or oil over medium-low. Add the onion and whole garlic cloves, and fry until both are a deep golden-brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Scoop into a blender jar or food processor, add the tomato and process until smooth. Heat the remaining tablespoon of lard or oil in the same skillet over medium-high. When hot, add the tomato mixture and stir constantly until thick and considerably darker, about 5 minutes. Scrape into a large saucepan.
2. The broth. Stir the broth into the tomato mixture, partially cover and simmer for 1/2 hour over medium-low heat. Season with salt.

3. The garnishing ingredients. If the tortillas are fresh or moist, let them dry out for a few minutes in single layer. Slice them in half, then slice the halves crosswise into strips 1/4-inch thick. Heat the 1/3 cup vegetable oil in a medium-small skillet over medium-high. When hot, add the tortilla strips and fry, turning frequently, until they are crisp. Drain on paper towels. Cut the chiles into 1-inch squares and fry in the hot oil very briefly, about 3 or 4 seconds; immediately remove and drain, then place in a small serving bowl.

4. Assembling the soup. Just before serving, divide the cheese among 4 to 6 bowls, and top with the fried tortilla strips. Ladle on the hot soup and serve right away. Pass the toasted chile separately, along with the lime (the juice of which brings out the flavors of the soup).

Rustic Ranch Soup
Makes 8 cups, serving 6 to 8

3 quarts rich chicken broth
1 large head of garlic, unpeeled
1 large sprig fresh epazote (optional)
2 fresh jalapeño chiles, stemmed
1 medium white onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
2 large ripe tomatoes, cored, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
Salt, about 1 1/2 teaspoons depending on the saltiness of the broth
3/4 cup loosely packed chopped cilantro
About 1 cup coarsely shredded cooked chicken (optional)
2 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 lime, cut into 6 to 8 wedges

1. Measure the broth into a large (6-quart) pot. Slice the unpeeled head of garlic in half widthwise and add both halves to the broth along with the optional epazote. Bring to a boil, then simmer over medium-low, partially covered, for about 1 hour. The liquid should have reduced to about 7 cups. Remove the garlic and epazote, and discard.

2. While the broth is simmering, cut the chiles in half lengthwise, and cut out the seed pod. Slice into very thin lengthwise strips, and set aside with the diced onion and tomatoes.

Generously season the broth with salt, then add the chiles and onion, partially cover and simmer for 7 minutes. Add the tomatoes, cilantro and optional chicken and simmer another 3 minutes, then ladle into warm bowls. Garnish with avocados, serve to your guests and pass the lime separately for each to squeeze in to their liking.

boyardee65
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2006/12/05 22:52:18 (permalink)
quote:

1/2 lb bacon, diced
1 cup celery, diced
1 cup carrot, diced
4 cups chicken stock
2 dark beers of choice
salt and pepper to taste
fresh cilantro
sour cream

Well, I made this soup with home smoked turkey left over from the holiday and left out the bacon. The result, smokey flavor without any fat to speak of. Don't have to sautee any ingredients, just put in pot and simmer all day. what a great smell to come home to after a cold day playing or working!
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2006/12/06 11:15:29 (permalink)
Apremerson, sounds like you really know your soup! Do you cook for a living? Your idea for a rice soup base to make the spicy chicken wing soup is great. There are lots of ways to cook wings but most use a hot sauce / butter mixture of some kind. Like you said, do this seperatly. Then you could just add the chicken to the rice soup base and... Spicy Chicken Wing Soup or Hot Wing Soup.

Some in my family are white meat only eaters. For them I often make "hot chicken breasts" cooked in butter and hot sauce. I can easily cook some breast in the same mixture I use for the wings. Hmmm, some of each, choped breast and wings, may be good in the soup? For those who don't eat dark meat, just leave out the wings. They will miss the fun of a finger food soup but hey... what can you do?

Man, this soup is sounding good!
Joe
boyardee65
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2006/12/06 12:51:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by PapaJoe8

Apremerson, sounds like you really know your soup! Do you cook for a living? Your idea for a rice soup base to make the spicy chicken wing soup is great. There are lots of ways to cook wings but most use a hot sauce / butter mixture of some kind. Like you said, do this seperatly. Then you could just add the chicken to the rice soup base and... Spicy Chicken Wing Soup or Hot Wing Soup.

Some in my family are white meat only eaters. For them I often make "hot chicken breasts" cooked in butter and hot sauce. I can easily cook some breast in the same mixture I use for the wings. Hmmm, some of each, choped breast and wings, may be good in the soup? For those who don't eat dark meat, just leave out the wings. They will miss the fun of a finger food soup but hey... wha can you do?

Man, this soup is sounding good!
Joe
While not tecchnically breast meat, the wing is considered to be white meat. You always get a few in the all whitemeat bucket at KFC. David O.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2006/12/06 13:33:13 (permalink)
Interesting ChefB! I didn't know that. My white meat folks don't eat wings though. Thats a good thing, keeps the price of wings down.
Joe
boyardee65
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2006/12/07 02:04:39 (permalink)
quote:

Interesting ChefB! I didn't know that. My white meat folks don't eat wings though. Thats a good thing, keeps the price of wings down.
Joe
No Kidding!! Pound for pound, wings a far more expensive than breast meat! Just like ribs! 50 years ago they were considered as scrap meat. Now days they are like gold. Too bad they hat to ruin a secret that most of us cooks knew all along. Wing meat and rib meat are excellent if prepared the right way!
boyardee65
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2006/12/07 02:51:21 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

Joe
No Kidding!! Pound for pound, wings a far more expensive than breast meat! Just like ribs! 50 years ago they were considered as scrap meat. Now days they are like gold. Too bad they hat to ruin a secret that most of us cooks knew all along. Wing meat and rib meat are excellent if prepared the right way!
P.S. I do cook for a living!!!
boyardee65
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2006/12/07 02:57:39 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

1/2 lb bacon, diced
1 cup celery, diced
1 cup carrot, diced
4 cups chicken stock
2 dark beers of choice
salt and pepper to taste
fresh cilantro
sour cream

Well, I made this soup with home smoked turkey left over from the holiday and left out the bacon. The result, smokey flavor without any fat to speak of. Don't have to sautee any ingredients, just put in pot and simmer all day. what a great smell to come home to after a cold day playing or working!
It is very important not to add the salt at the start of the cooking process! The salt will harden the beans and no matter how long you cook them, they will never become soft. Salt to taste after they are done. You can use canned beans rinsed or you can soak dried beans over nite for the same result.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2006/12/07 11:30:00 (permalink)
ChefB, somehow I already knew you cooked for a living. Maybe the quility of your posts here at roadfood? Or, mybe you told us somewhee earlier? Those beans sound great. I will use Shiner Bock beer when I try them. Now, for turkey or bacon? If I have some leftover smoked turkey I will try that. Oh, yep, to bad about the price of wings.

Oh, Ann's post at the top of the page, I also saute things in olive oil, and even bacon greese, soup's not greasy.
Joe
brlawson
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2006/12/07 13:59:24 (permalink)
White Chili

This is really good--can adjust the heat by the type & amount of green chiles that you add. My current pot included a couple of poblanos, jalapenos & serranos.

White Chili

1 lb. Great Northern or Navy beans, soaked
1 medium white onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 or 2 fresh chilies, chopped (Hot yellow peppers look best, jalapenos, serranos)*
2 tbs chopped cilantro
juice of ½ lime
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp oregano
½ tsp cayenne pepper*
1 tsp white pepper*
1 ½ tsp salt, divided
1 can fat-free chicken broth
1 can white, shoepeg corn, drained
2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped in ¼ to ½ inch pieces (I have the butcher grind with the coarse, chili blade)
1 tbs olive oil or vegetable oil

Rinse beans, then soak (overnight,if possible, two hours, at least). Simmer soaked beans for 1 to 2 hours until just “al dente”. Add 1 tsp salt to beans 5 minutes before they are done. Drain beans.
In a large pot, saute’ chicken, onion, garlic, and chilis in the oil, slowly, until onion is wilted and chicken is white. Don’t let anything brown. Add drained beans and all other ingredients, except the cilantro and lime juice. Simmer for 30 minutes, until the beans are tender. Just before serving, stir in the cilantro and lime juice.

Betty
Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2006/12/07 14:27:43 (permalink)
You'll find many very good recipes[url='http://www.vivanewmexico.com/food.recipes.cocinas.html']here[/url], including one I like for [url='http://www.vivanewmexico.com/nm/food.recipes.cocinas.platos.html#grnstew']Green Chile Stew[/url]. Most can be adapted to increase or decrease the heat.

You said,
quote:
Originally posted by TheHotPepper.com
Bacon fat is good stuff, but in a soup, it's going to sit at the top and every spoonful will taste like fat.
I'm with annpeeples on this one. Unless you're on an incredibly stringent diet, you don't want to get rid of all the fat: it carries a great deal of the flavor that's not water-soluble. Besides, just getting a spoonful stirs the soup enough to redistribute the fat temporarily.

PapaJoe8, if you'll email me I can give you a simple solution to inserting links.
apremerson
Hamburger
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2006/12/07 14:38:04 (permalink)
quote:

Apremerson, sounds like you really know your soup! Do you cook for a living? Your idea for a rice soup base to make the spicy chicken wing soup is great.

Thanks. I do not cook for a living, though I have catered a few times for people I know. Mainly I just steal other people's food ideas, and play with them until I end up with something that suits my taste.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2006/12/07 15:25:09 (permalink)
Ap, now someone stole one of your food ideas.
Joe
apremerson
Hamburger
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2006/12/07 16:47:02 (permalink)
Fair is fair.
boyardee65
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2006/12/07 21:52:30 (permalink)
quote:

Ap, now someone stole one of your food ideas.
Joe
LOL Just goes to show you that nothing is sacred in this business! Bacon fat IS good! A little isn't going to kill you. Apparently, transfat is much worse than a little lard.
JohnRF
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2006/12/07 22:10:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Sure. Campbell's chicken rice soup or bean and bacon soup with jalapenos or habaneros tossed in

I'm not sure.

There are so many creative and constructive and responsive posts here that are so interesting and inspiring.

And there is your's.

boyardee65
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2006/12/08 11:41:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by JohnRF

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Sure. Campbell's chicken rice soup or bean and bacon soup with jalapenos or habaneros tossed in

I'm not sure.

There are so many creative and constructive and responsive posts here that are so interesting and inspiring.

And there is your's.

Don't be so harsh. Some people are new to this cooking thing. Although that post sounded more like a joke.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2006/12/09 13:02:05 (permalink)
Hey, I thought it was a good tip. I like Campbell's chicken noodle W/ La. hot sauce. I'll give Michaels tip a try. Jalapenos make everything better I think. Well, almost everything. I need to try using habaneros more. Do they make pickled ones?
Joe
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10291
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2006/12/11 12:15:49 (permalink)
I went to an upscale local restaurant for lunch today and one of their soups was a spicy sweet potato corn chowder. First time I have ever seen that combination. It was actually quite good (and spicy) and had enough of a kick to get my nose running!
boyardee65
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2006/12/11 13:04:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by buffetbuster

I went to an upscale local restaurant for lunch today and one of their soups was a spicy sweet potato corn chowder. First time I have ever seen that combination. It was actually quite good (and spicy) and had enough of a kick to get my nose running!
Sounds interesting! Havn't come across this combo either. The potatos and corn are both sweet so I would think that they would pair well toghether. Add hot peppers and you have NIRVANA.
David O.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10291
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2007/01/09 11:49:41 (permalink)
Since it was mentioned earlier in this thread, I did have my first chance to eat wing soup over the weekend. It was in Buffalo at The Anchor Bar, where Buffalo wings were first invented.

The soup was very thick and creamy (most likely from all the blue cheese) and had lots of chunks of chicken. I would have preferred it to be spicier, but thought it was very good. I would not hesitate to try it again somewhere else.
V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2007/01/09 14:11:49 (permalink)
look for Korean soups
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1