Looking for some spicy soups....

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2007/01/09 15:14:50 (permalink)
Interesting Buster, so their wing soup wasn't a finger food then. Lets face it, that is a wild idea to have real bone in wings in a soup. I still want to try it though. Apemerson had some good starting recipe ideas. My idea is to just cook some chicken at high temp, in hot sauce and butter, then add some cooked rice, that would be spicy. I already do breasts like that, and serve with the juice, over rice. Some other stuff in there might be good though. Onions, garlic, celery, blue cheese, hmm? Keep it spicy though!
joe

Oh, credit where credit is due, the hot wing finger food soup idea was TheHotPepper's. His idea, back on page 1., was a sweet and sour hot wing spicy soup. That still sounds real good!
Joe
Lynn and Tom
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2007/01/09 17:11:01 (permalink)
Here's my version of Mexican "Sopa de Lima". We love it:

Sopa de Lima

1 dried Chile pasilla or Ancho Chile
1 large white onion or sweet onion, diced
1 green or red sweet pepper, diced
1 tsp chopped garlic
3 ripe tomatoes or 15 oz can diced tomatoes, drained well
2 Tb olive oil
1 ½ Qt. Chicken broth (homemade if possible)
Cooked chicken or turkey, shredded and at room temperature. As much or as little as you like. A little is traditional but more if it’s for dinner.
½ - 1 Cp cup chopped cilantro or coriander (if you dont like this taste, leave out)
1 large or two small limes (microwave for 30 sec for more juice). Juice one lime and cut other lime into slices.
6 corn tortillas

Place dried chile in hot water to soften for 10 minutes.
Place olive oil in large pot; place ½ of the onion, ½ of the pepper and all the garlic in the oil and cook at medium till soft but not brown. (the remainder of the onion and pepper is for garnishing)
After vegetables are soft, add the tomatoes and cook over low heat for a few minutes till tomatoes are very soft .
Dice the now moist chile and add to tomato mixture.
Add the cooked chicken and the broth to the pot; bringing to a boil.
Season with salt and pepper If necessary.

In small frying pan, add about 1 Cp. of oil or shortening (crisco, lard, bacon fat is great). Heat on high flame.
Cut the tortillas into strips about ½ “ wide. Add in three batches to the hot oil. Fry till crispy but not too brown.

When strips are cooked and soup is hot, add about ½ of the lime juice to the soup and turn off the heat.

To serve, place 3 or four strips of tortilla in a bowl and fill with the soup. At the table, garnish with lime slices, raw onion and pepper, cilantro if you like, and more lime juice if desired.

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10216
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2007/01/09 19:57:21 (permalink)
PapaJoe8-
I don't know if the real bone in wing soup would make it better, but it certainly would make it more interesting and that is always a good thing!
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2007/01/15 23:19:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by annpeeples

I am not sure why you would say the spicy black eyed pea soup sounds greasy-I am sure you use just a touch of bacon grease to wilt the onions-sounds divine to me!

I was Just going back over this thread, and I think that Spicy black eyed pea soup by Olthimer sounds FANTASTIC!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10216
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2007/04/05 11:34:58 (permalink)
I had another real interesting spicy soup the other night for the first time. It was called red pepper cheese soup. It was more of an orangey color and was very creamy, although not as spicy as I thought. Considering that the restaurant I ate it at is a microbrewery, there is a very good chance there was some beer in there, too.
Big_Ted
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 186
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2007/07/04 02:38:41 (permalink)
I'll echo V960's post and say that Korean soups are fantastic and spicy. Also, I'd say that they're certainly worth the effort of learning to cook. Good stuff!
Foxyfishy14
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 192
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2007/07/06 14:09:16 (permalink)
If you're looking for a quick fix for a spicy soup try Campbell's Chunky Chicken and Sausage Gumbo..my boyfriend and I love it..and he loves everything spicy!
bbires
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 348
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2007/07/11 09:27:03 (permalink)
Right now here in Tennessee, tomatoes and peppers and everything else are so ripe and fresh that I'd be remiss not to offer a "cold" alternative for a spicy soup:

Gazpacho is one of the great pleasures of the summer. There’s little point in making this cool soup if you don’t have the freshest tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers. The recipe is all prep work. Once you’ve done all of the chopping and dicing, the soup comes together practically in seconds. You control the spiciness with how many peppers you use.

GAZPACHO

1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and ribbed and diced
1 small red onion, diced
1 lb fresh ripe tomatoes, diced
1 seedless cucumber unpeeled, but diced
3 Tbl chopped cilantro
2 Tbl olive oil
1 Tbl red wine vinegar
2 Tbl fresh lime juice
1 tsp salt
freshly ground pepper to taste

Set aside 1/3 cup red pepper, 1 tsp jalapeno, 1/3 cup onion, 1/3 cup tomato, 1/3 cup cucumber, and 1 Tbl cilantro. Put remaining vegetable in food processor with oil, vinegar, lime juice, salt and pepper. Process until smooth. Add reserved vegetables and process briefly—leave slightly chunky. Chill gazpacho for at least 4 hours or overnight to allow flavors to blend.
RibRater
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1862
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2007/07/11 17:12:52 (permalink)
bbires..I've got everything on hand and will give that a try tomorrow. one question. the recipe appears to need some liquid..maybe some stock or even a small amount of water? maybe not but it would seem to be a little thicker then most gazpacho I have eaten in the past.
sliders
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2007/07/11 22:16:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Larry - RibRater - Jay

bbires..I've got everything on hand and will give that a try tomorrow. one question. the recipe appears to need some liquid..maybe some stock or even a small amount of water? maybe not but it would seem to be a little thicker then most gazpacho I have eaten in the past.

sliders
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2007/07/11 22:20:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Larry - RibRater - Jay

larry, V-8 is a good bet if you want more liquid. and maybe try roasting that red pepper instead of using it raw.
RibRater
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2007/07/12 07:26:29 (permalink)
thanks sliders..i've got some low sodium v8 hanging around so will give that a try.

welcome to roadfood
bbires
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2007/07/12 09:39:18 (permalink)
Larry, I think you'll find it gets plenty of liquid from the processed vegetables and the bit of oil and lime. It will pour, for example, quite easily.
RibRater
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2007/07/12 09:48:22 (permalink)
yes it did just fine without any additional liquids. made some this morning and put it in to chill while I go play some golf. my first taste was very spicy and I don't think that's going to mellow in the fridge. planning on having some this afternoon with some grilled catfish and fried green tomatoes
Julietflower
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2007/07/17 08:37:17 (permalink)
I will try GAZPACHO ,,,, i think its toooooo yummy

Juliet

bbires
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for some spicy soups.... 2007/07/20 21:06:44 (permalink)
Well, I hope it wasn't too spicy. I've been growing both jalapenos and "better for salsa" peppers this summer, so I know how hot they are, but if you buy one in a store and just assume, as the recipe says, that 1 jalapeno is the way to go, you are kind of rolling the dice.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1