Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Creepyjap
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2003/07/28 17:48:38 (permalink)

Looking for suggestions: I-40 NC to CA

Hello,

I'll be driving a moving van from North Carolina to California on I-40. I'll probably detour off of I-40 in NM/AZ to see some sites, but otherwise I'll be on I-40 the whole way.

Please post your recommendations for places to eat on the way. I'm an adventurous diner so I'll try anything regardless of ethnicity, bizarre ingredients, etc.

I'll be towing a car so I'll want to keep negotiating major downtown areas to a minimum, but for the right meal, who knows!

Thanks!

34 Replies Related Threads

peppertree
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 305
    RE: Looking for suggestions: I-40 NC to CA 2003/07/28 18:08:04 (permalink)
    I am a New Yorker who lives in Texas. To drive to NYC, I must take I-40 from Little Rock to Knoxville. I recommend that in Nashville, there is a corner four blocks south of the interstate with a White Castle and a Krystal's on the same corner. The Krystal is a drive through. When I go there, I buy four Krystal burgers and an order of fries and I take them across the street to the White Castle and buy four more burgers, fries and a shake, and eat it all at the White Castle.

You can look up the location on the White Castle website or look for billboards along the interstate.
    Art Deco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 890
    RE: Looking for suggestions: I-40 NC to CA 2003/07/28 23:24:28 (permalink)
    What time of day will you be coming through Nashville, and on what day of the week?
    Creepyjap
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Looking for suggestions: I-40 NC to CA 2003/07/29 12:09:45 (permalink)
    We'll probably hit Nashville in the early afternoon on a Sunday.
    quote:
    Originally posted by pogophiles

What time of day will you be coming through Nashville, and on what day of the week?
    jpatweb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Looking for suggestions: I-40 NC to CA 2003/07/29 14:16:55 (permalink)
    See the thread last week for recommendations in and around Albuquerque. I think most of those places are fairly easy to get to and can accommodate your vehicles. The Loveless Cafe, just south of Nashville, is also a very navigable stop.
    Chef Dave
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Looking for suggestions: I-40 NC to CA 2003/07/29 15:09:01 (permalink)
    To Creepyjap,
    Don't know when you will be traveling thru the Knoxville area but we would be happy to have you stop in at our dining room on your way thru. We are located at the Cedar Hills Golf Club and very close with easy on and off access to I40 (east or west). We are open on Thrusday evening from 5pm to 9pm and feature a themed buffet, that changes every week and is all you can eat, or if you would like to join us on Friday or Saturday evening for the very best Chops, Steaks, Seafood & Pasta's in east Tennessee from 5pm till 10pm we offer affordable elegance in a relaxing atmosphere in the far west Knoxville area. We are also close to lodgings should you be spending the night in our area and would be happy to provide you information about them upon request. If you feel that you will be joining us for dinner one evening I would be happy to supply you with exact directions and mile marker information, as well.
    Hope to See You...have a safe trip on your journey!
    Chef Dave
    Chef Dave's Cut"N"Board
    Cedar Hills Golf Club
    100 Beals Chapel Road
    Lenoir City, (West Knoxville) Tennessee
    http://www.chefdaves.com
    chefdave@chefdaves.com
    865-237-2731
    familydok
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 234
    RE: Looking for suggestions: I-40 NC to CA 2003/07/30 08:25:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jpatweb

See the thread last week for recommendations in and around Albuquerque. I think most of those places are fairly easy to get to and can accommodate your vehicles. The Loveless Cafe, just south of Nashville, is also a very navigable stop.

I have eaten at many of the places mentioned on this site and in the Sterns books and others. This was the only place I was disappointed in. My friend was there before me and she agreed with my feelings. The country ham and chicken were ok, the biscuits were not as good as many of the "quick" places-Hardees, Bisquitville, etc. and they prices were so-so. I was wondering if anyone else felt this way.
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: Looking for suggestions: I-40 NC to CA 2003/07/30 08:51:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by familydok

quote:
    Originally posted by jpatweb

I have eaten at many of the places mentioned on this site and in the Sterns books and others. This was the only place I was disappointed in. My friend was there before me and she agreed with my feelings. The country ham and chicken were ok, the biscuits were not as good as many of the "quick" places-Hardees, Bisquitville, etc. and they prices were so-so. I was wondering if anyone else felt this way.

The Loveless can be uneven at some meals, but I have never been disappointed in their breakfast- (in the dining room, not at the week-end buffet they serve in the old motel section). Yes, their skillet baked biscuits are different, but I think that they are about the best I have ever had (when they are hot). They really work with the molasses and preserves Loveless serves at breakfast.
    BarbPick
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: Looking for suggestions: I-40 NC to CA 2003/07/30 09:34:22 (permalink)
    Marie Calander's is a chain restaurant, not just good frozen food. You will find some on I 40. Great Pie, and homestyle food. Worth a stop if you have never been.
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Looking for suggestions: I-40 NC to CA 2003/07/30 15:17:17 (permalink)
    Creepyjap, I know this is a roadfood forum, and I'll be back with you a bit later with some roadfood suggestions for the section of your forthcoming I-40 trip which crosses Arkansas, but more critical than any particular restaurant to your food enjoyment and to your total travel enjoyment is avoiding many of the absolute construction (really re-construction) site nightmares which currently exist at various locations on I-40 across this entire state. While some reconstruction areas have been completed, many still remain, particularly going through North Little Rock and then on in the western parts of the state. Please consult the website http://www.arkansasinterstates.com/ for info on the various current construction spots and also, if you timing is such that the Welcome Station on I-40 just west of West Memphis is open, please stop by there for advice. I was in there recently and overheard lady advising someone to proceed from Little Rock to Russellville or somewhere (forgot exact location) on I-40 and then to drop onto US 64 for remainder of trip across state. I often have during past several years driven old US 70 all the way between Memphis and Little Rock to avoid I-40 construction and have driven US 64 from Conway to Fort Smith for same reason. I know currently that there are major construction tieups and headaches getting through North Little Rock on I-40. I'd certainly avoid them by detouring around them any number of several possible different ways. Also be prepared for the worst tractor-trailer traffic you ever experienced between Memphis and Little Rock (and to lesser extent on from Little Rock to Fort Smith). It is unlike anything you've ever seen. I forget that in other states Interstate driving can be not bad, and maybe even enjoyable, due to tractor-trailer abuse we suffer in this state. Also another warning: Construction coming into and through Memphis on I-40 can be as bad if not worse than crossing Arkansas. There's just not as many miles of it. I certainly don't mean to dampen your enthusiasm for your upcoming trip or throw cold water on your plans, but I just hate for your trip to be really soured by bad I-40 construction area experiences in this state, when with a little advanced planning hopefully most, if not all of them, could be avoided. Do definitely check out that website and let me know if I can be of any help. More on eating spots soon. You all have a great trip. Liketoeat
    John W
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: Looking for suggestions: I-40 NC to CA 2003/07/30 16:16:29 (permalink)
    Start your trip right!
    Keaton barbecue chicken near Stateville. Mr Keaton recommended it and I think my post on how to find it more easily is still on this site somewhere?
    Just the half a chicken with iced tea. Maybe the mac & cheese, for 5 cents maybe order a second bun (a fresh hamburgher roll). The hot is really hot, the regular more than satisfactory.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15335
    RE: Looking for suggestions: I-40 NC to CA 2003/07/30 16:37:20 (permalink)
    Stern's recommend the "Catfish 'N' " in Dardenelles Ark. just south of the I-40 at the Russellville exit. We have tried it several times over the years and have yet to be disappointed. Good fish off the menu or AYCE and a location overlooking the Arkansas River that is as pleasant as you can find!
    BigGlenn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 461
    RE: Looking for suggestions: I-40 NC to CA 2003/07/30 20:46:20 (permalink)
    Sawmill Cafe in Forrest City Arkansas is one block south of Interstate. Great Southern Buffet "All You Can Eat" You may not want to drive after eating here. You will see the signs on the Interstate after you leave Memphis. Great parking for your "Rig".
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Looking for suggestions: I-40 NC to CA 2003/07/30 21:40:13 (permalink)
    Creepyjap - some Arkansas eating spots off of I-40 (or US 70 and US 64), realilzing your moving van with car in tow may limit your access.

West Memphis - To me the best restaurant in town is Margurita's Mexican Rest. & Cantina at 1100 1/2 Ingram Blvd. (don't know why the 1/2 is in address; its a big right on the street restaurant). This is the Dogtrack exit off I-40. Easy off-on Interstate. New, bright, cheery, good service, extensive menu offerings. delicious food. Currently my favorite Mexican restaurant in Ark. Pancho's (3602 E. Broadway or US 70) is the old West Memphis Mexican restaurant. Been there forever; first in eastern Ark. Always popular. But only time in recent years I've entered Panchos, about a year ago, I walked right out due to unpleasant (to me) odor (old sour beer smell?) in bar thru which had to walk to get to dining room. There is a new barbecue and soul food place on Broadway (US 70:old downtown area) which has gotten some rave reviews, but I don't know its name or exact location. Most everything else I know of in West Memphis are Interstate chain places.

Forrest City - A number of eating places immediately south of I-40 (or several miles north of US 70). My favorite by far is Ole Sawmill Cafe, 2299 N. Washington (State Hwy. 1). Easy interstate access. Open breakfast thru dinner 7 day/wk. Lunch/dinner are either order from menu or all you can eat buffet (which is 95 per cent of business). Good country home cooking (meats & veggies) plus salads, desserts, etc. Best turnip greens I've ever eaten. Great catfish Fri. thru Sun. Only time would not recommend is Friday night all seafood buffet. Not worth price to me. All other times one of my favorite spots in east Ark. There are also a few restaurants immediately north of I-40 there. Restaurant choices in Forrest City are far better than those in Brinkley some 30 miles west.

DeVall's Bluff (only if traveling US 70 rather than I-40) - Craig's Barbecue on US 70 on western edge of town. Literally a little shack (classic roadfood spot?) with really good barbecue. Some say best in state; to me, its one of the best. Pork plate is more like barbecued slice of ham than traditional pork BBQ. Extremely popular. Serves homemade pies from Pie Shop (individual homemade operation) across the street. Really good barbecue; even better unusual dining spot.

North Little Rock (only if traveling US 70 rather than I-40) - Roy Fisher's Steak House, 1919 East Broadway (US 70). Big place; been there forever; years ago one of best steak houses in central Ark. Maybe still is; I don't know. What I do know is that its weekday plate lunches (meat & 3) are hard to beat anywhere. Fabulous. Same goes for its giant pies. Super popular and crowded at noon. Huge parking lot but so crowded during noon hour peak your rig mite be difficult to maneuver then; probably better early or late for lunch, preferably early due to sometime sellouts.

Little Rock - will skip assuming you won't be going through it or would not want to fool with your rig in town. Let me know if otherwise

Conway - La Hacienda Mexican Restaurant, 200 Hwy. 65 N. Would be slight detour to east onto US 65 off of I-40 or US 64 West. Chain restaurant but excellent. Not traditional Mexican food; very unsual dishes, including seafood. Highly recommened by most folks. There is also a catfish restaurant to the west of this, just off US 64 and I-40. Its in little strip mall easily visible from highway. Can't think of name or address. Nothing fancy; but really good. Catering truck and wagon likely will be parked in parking lot out front. Several other good Conway spots but doubt you'd want to fool with city streets to get to them.

Russellville - Old South Restaurant, 1330 East Main (US 64). Old restaurant; there forever; style is giant diner. Back in 1950's and early '60's was premier dining spot between Little Rock & Fort Smith. In recent years food has been average/mediocre except have had some good Sunday lunches there. The restaurant itself is as much or more attraction than the food. Another Russellville choice - Feltner's WhattaBurger (1410 Arkansas Ave. - Ark. Tech Univ. area). There is Roadview Review of Whattaburger. Its good; probably best or one of best burger joints in state, Maybe not quite as good to me as to some folks due to my Miss. and La. world's favorite burger joints choices. Few other good Russellville spots but probably too inconveninet. Neither of these should be too difficult to get to from either I-40 or US 64.

Dardanelle - South of Russellville across Arkansas River. While I've never eaten at Catfish N (210 Dardanelle Dam Rd.), I've always heard same recommendation the Mayor gives it above. However, I have doubts as to whether you'd want to drive from I-40 all the way across Russellville, across the river, and out to it. I'm guessing it would be approaching 10 mi. mainly cross town drive from I-40. Same problem would exist for other Dardanelle restaurants I've heard recommended.

Ozark - Read recent Arkansas Times review of Rivertowne Barbecue at 205 S. 3rd. Street in Ozark. Never previously heard of it; know nothing of it or of its location, but it did get great newspaper review.

I'm not as familiar with western as with eastern Arkansas and can't think of any other places to recommend without too much extra driving. Maybe some of the western Arkansas Roadfooders can provide more useful info. Hope this might be of some value to you, and wishing you great eating and absence of construction site tie-ups across this state.. Like toeat
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: Looking for suggestions: I-40 NC to CA 2003/07/31 08:31:48 (permalink)
    Liketoeat:
    I REALLY must have caught Craig's on a bad day (2 years back) if it is supposed to be the best in the state. I have never had worse BBQ anywhere, anytime. Maybe my old North Carolina BBQ tastebuds were just expecting something else. This was the one and only time that I have been disappointed in a listing from the Roadfood books, and I e-mailed Michael to suggest that he might re-visit to determine whether it deserved to keep their recommendation.
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Looking for suggestions: I-40 NC to CA 2003/07/31 12:07:41 (permalink)
    Hillbilly, sorry you had such a bad experience at Craig's. While I'm not familiar with North Carolina barbecue, from my South Carolina barbecue eating, I know most of it is pretty different from most barbecue in these parts. Don't think that, though, would have been reason for your Craig's disappointment. While lots of folks do think Craigs is tops in the state, I don't put it in that category; I've always found it to be good but not tops; several places are to me better, wtih Whole Hog Cafe at 2516 Cantrell Rd. in Little Rock currently being my favorite. I've never found Craig's bad, to contrary have always found it quite good, but also quite DIFFERENT from any other barbecue. As said, its pork barbecue always seems to me to be more like a barbecued slice of ham than any traditional pork barbecue. Perhaps it's this difference which you found so distasteful. Or, hopefully, it was just a case of an ultra bad day. This subject reminds me that there is a new barbecue place opening tomorrow only a few miles from the house which I'll have to try. Hope you have better eating experiences if you are ever back this way, and am here thinking particularly of some great non-barbecue spots in both the north and south sections of the state. Liketoeat
    Art Deco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 890
    RE: Looking for suggestions: I-40 NC to CA 2003/07/31 13:53:22 (permalink)
    Then I would suggest that you go on through Nashville toward Memphis on I-40. Take the I-840 spur (around 15-20 miles west of Nashville) over to Hwy 100 (5 miles or so) and go West toward Centerville. Just a few miles along Hwy 100 on the left you will come upon the Beacon Light Tea Room. I would recommend you go here for country ham (get the center-slice) and/or fried chicken (highly recommended). It is much better than Loveless, which I only recommend for breakfast.
    quote:
    Originally posted by Creepyjap

We'll probably hit Nashville in the early afternoon on a Sunday.

quote:
    Originally posted by pogophiles

Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Looking for suggestions: I-40 NC to CA 2003/08/03 10:24:55 (permalink)
    Mentioned above the opening this weekend of new barbecue place several miles east of the house, so tried a take out big chopped pork sandwich from there Friday noon. Meat was delicious, if just a bit greasy, and sauce could have been a bit spicier. Don't know if that's his only sauce or just his standard. Several miles west of town there's a barbecue joint which has been there forever but which I'd not tried recently, so tried a big chopped pork sandwich from it last night to compare the two. Its difficult to say which was better, probably Shadden's west of town would get the nod due to not being greasy, but it would be close choice. Don't get any spicier sauce than medium at Shadden's; the medium was bordering on hot; and I like it pretty spicy. Shadden's is well known throughout the state and is a classic Roadfood place; housed in an old country grocery store which still operates as a grocery, though think 90 per cent of his business is his barbecue. Both rate return visits, though the menu offerings of both are somewhat more limited than at many barbecues. Think my not eating from Shadden's in some time is a case of not appreciating what you have locally, while eating, doing, visiting the same that's available here when away from home. Shadden's is located on US 49 west of Marvell, AR, and the new barbecue place (don't remember its name) is located on US 49 in Poplar Grove, AR, just east of Marvell. Note - if any of you ever pass thru Marvell on US 49, observe the speed limits; let's just say there is "rather vigorous speed limit enforcement". In years past no one in other parts of state ever heard of Marvell; now people all over the state and Oklahoma know of it, having contributed to its coffers from having passed thru it in a bit of a hurry to get to or from the Mississippi casinos. Another good barbecue place near here is Cypress Corners Barbecue located on State Hwy. 1 south of Marianna, AR.
    pennypincher
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: Looking for suggestions: I-40 NC to CA 2003/08/03 11:17:43 (permalink)
    I'm surprised that the possibly derogatory (toward those of Japanese descent) member user name was allowed to stand on this message board.

quote:

Hello,

I'll be driving a moving van from North Carolina to California on I-40. I'll probably detour off of I-40 in NM/AZ to see some sites, but otherwise I'll be on I-40 the whole way.

Please post your recommendations for places to eat on the way. I'm an adventurous diner so I'll try anything regardless of ethnicity, bizarre ingredients, etc.

I'll be towing a car so I'll want to keep negotiating major downtown areas to a minimum, but for the right meal, who knows!

Thanks!
    CoreyEl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 156
    RE: Looking for suggestions: I-40 NC to CA 2003/08/03 13:18:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by pennypincher

I'm surprised that the possibly derogatory (toward those of Japanese descent) member user name was allowed to stand on this message board.

You know, I just finished reading "The Language Police" by Diane Ravitch and it's just this kind of coercive censorship that really scares me. No one else has objected to anyone's user names before, and this seems to be a very well-mannered crowd. When did we start thinking that using "sensitivity" as a weapon was okay? Perhaps you'd be happier in a forum with others who share your views?
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Looking for suggestions: I-40 NC to CA 2003/08/03 13:56:05 (permalink)
    Thanks so much for your above post, CoreyEl, for you expressed my opinion of pennypincher's post so much more effectively and civilly than anything I could come up with. Closest I could come to any words which would be decent to post was, "uhoh, another case of political correctness run amuck". Know a lot of you readers of this form may disagree with me, which is your right, but this current "political correctness" craze in this country; this "we" (big brother, government, those who are "the enlightened", "the blessed", whoever) know what is best for you and will dictate to you, the individual, the "correct, acceptable" thought, speech, actions, is too scary to me to keep my mouth shut.
    goldsborscht
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: Looking for suggestions: I-40 NC to CA 2003/08/03 14:43:54 (permalink)
    Regarding Craig's. You got to put it in perspective. This place is in DeValls Bluff, for godsakes. That gives it a hell of a lot of brownie points right there. Also it's a shack. More points. And they have created their own sauce. Points through the roof. The sauce seems to have a touch of cinnamon. Real nice on a sandwich. Maybe not the best BBQ in the state. But possibly one of the best landmarks in the Western Hemisphere. And Black owned. Possibly the only other one in Roadfood to claim this is Arthur Bryant's.
    nitrousbutterfly
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Looking for suggestions: I-40 NC to CA 2003/08/05 00:29:20 (permalink)
    When you hit Kingman, AZ swing down to laughlin, NV- Edgewater Casino buffet, absolutly the best.

Barstow, CA Tommy's (An LA legend) Cheap too.
    BigGlenn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 461
    RE: Looking for suggestions: I-40 NC to CA 2003/08/05 01:09:12 (permalink)
    What if "JAP" was this persons Initials? I use "Big" in my name. I hope I haven't offended any of the "Fat" people out there. May I assume since you pinch pennys your Jewish? See just how crazy this can get? If that person used it he must like it. So be it...... Big Fat Glenn LOL

Originally posted by pennypincher

Anchovy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Looking for suggestions: I-40 NC to CA 2003/08/05 01:20:37 (permalink)
    And who now will speak up and defend the honor of the Jewish American Princess? Just eat my friend and don't worry so much about evil intent in a few scrambled letters.
    Anchovy
    Junior Burger
    RE: Looking for suggestions: I-40 NC to CA 2003/08/05 01:30:26 (permalink)
    I-40 ends in Barstow of course and it's entirely possible that is your final destination in California. If you are instead, swinging north via Boron and Bakersfield to Northern California there is one set of choices. If you are taking I-15 into I-10 and the heart of Southern California I will light a candle and pray for your eventual escape. In the meantime there are one or two places that would be worth your time to stop and taste while you await salvation and rescue.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4138
    RE: Looking for suggestions: I-40 NC to CA 2003/08/05 12:15:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Anchovy

If you are taking I-15 into I-10 and the heart of Southern California I will light a candle and pray for your eventual escape. In the meantime there are one or two places that would be worth your time to stop and taste while you await salvation and rescue.

quote:
    I'm surprised that the possibly derogatory (toward those of California descent) was allowed to stand on this message board.

Can we all just lighten up!
    MarineMom682
    Junior Burger
    RE: Looking for suggestions: I-40 NC to CA 2003/08/10 17:49:18 (permalink)
    As you are traveling I-40 through NC - a detour to Stanley, NC to visit the WoodShed at 210 Main St. would be highly recommended. Stanley is off Hwy. 321 which is off 40 - serves the best prime rib in the southeast in my opinion - the freshest salad bar and tomato and onion sandwich marinated in something called Witch's Brew. Only open for dinner and prime rib is served only during the week - Tues, Wed and Thursday due to the preparation time required to do it "right". I think you would definitely be more than happy you took this little detour. Steaks are terrific too.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15335
    RE: Looking for suggestions: I-40 NC to CA 2003/08/10 18:18:26 (permalink)
    RE- BARSTOW, CA. I don't believe anyone but the military units assigned to train at Fort Irwin or the Marine depots in Daggett or Yermo....or even 29 Palms would ever consider ending a journey in Barstow!!!
    But for a Train Freak like me, Barstow is one of the great locations in the Western USA to ply our hobby. A gazillion trains, some great places to shoot super photos of rail action...AND as commented on above..TOMMY's.. One can sit at a picnic table, consuming great Burgers and the accessories and watch the arrival and departure of 90+ trains a day.
    ED, Don't let the Anti-SoCal folks get to you...Just call the city by the Bay "Frisco" like all the world did before the Yuppies took over our language and started insisting they were 'above all that'...must be the fog affecting the brain or something !
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Looking for suggestions: I-40 NC to CA 2003/08/10 19:27:21 (permalink)
    BigGlenn - re our above & other posts re the Sawmill Cafe in Forrest City, AR; thought of you when pigging out there yesterday on everything they served, particularly their great catfish and world's best turnip greens; both so far superior and more reasonably priced than those of Cock of the Walk (or any other) restaurants for that matter. Wished you had been there. I ate a few extra for you.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1