Looking for the name of a candy

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 12
Author
RubyRose
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2189
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/03/19 20:28:49 (permalink)
I ordered mine but requested that they not ship until after Easter. Delamere, I bet the reason they seemed chewier and creamier was because the ones we remembered were sitting on the shelf in the grocery store for a while. Maybe we always ate them on the stale side and never had fresh ones.
Delamere
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 105
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/03/19 20:35:57 (permalink)
Oh for heaven's sake, I never thought about that! I wonder! I know when I ordered them the woman said they didn't have a very long shelf life, so that's why I only ordered 2 boxes to begin with.

Can't wait to get your review. Hope it doesn't take as long as mine did. I live in California so that's the reason, but again it was worth the wait!
wdaizy58
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/03/21 09:29:02 (permalink)
Dear Delamere,
I am so glad you got them! The pink and green ones are my favorite! It is true, these are not identical to what we had. I told my sister I thought they were smaller, but she said the same thing...we were small, too! I have a "loving" term for these mints...gagalicious! They are so sweet, they are creamy, and they have a lot of flavor.
But I am truly truly happy that your cravings have been satisfied! It was a lot of fun with you and Ruby and others looking for these things. I have started a new search...round eskimo pies that we used to get near Binghamton, NY. They were round with a hole in the middle, vanilla ice cream with chocolate coating. My dad is looking for them, too. Thank you again for so much fun, it was a delight to pull this thread! Denice
Delamere
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/03/21 13:09:01 (permalink)
"I told my sister I thought they were smaller, but she said the same thing...we were small, too! I have a "loving" term for these mints...gagalicious! They are so sweet, they are creamy, and they have a lot of flavor."

Hi Denice,

Well, that may be the case, but heck I wasn't that small. I was in my teens. Anyway, I think they're pretty darn close. I just found them a little bit chewier then I recalled, but as RubyRose suggested it could have been they were on the shelf longer.

Funniest thing, I thought I'd ordered two boxes and after I finished the "first" one, I couldn't find the second one. I asked my husband who said he'd torn the box up for the garbage, but didn't see it. I ran out to the recycle can, almost dove down into it till I found all the pieces of the box and stuffings, but didn't find the candy. Came back in the house, got my invoice and saw that I had only ordered 1 box!! I was crushed. Guess I'll have to order more than 1 at a time next go around.

Sorry, can't help you with the Eskimo Pie. I do remember them from the "old days" complete with the ice cream man etc., but don't remember them as being round at least in Virginia. Good luck on your search, and yes it's been a blast. Hope we run across each other again on another search.

Think they should just have a special section on these forums for searching foods.

Barbara (Delamere)

suzanne0827
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/03/23 15:49:31 (permalink)
I know exactly the candy you're talking about! I used to get them from a little shop called Peterson's Corn Crib, a very cool candy store with giant candy canes out front, near Jamestown, New York. The pink ones were wintergreen, green was lime, white was peppermint, red was cinnamon, blue was clove, and yellow was lemon. I don't quite remember whether or not they had an orange one. Maybe they still make them! I found their phone number on a Shopping in Warren County, PA website: 716 487-1595. Good luck!
Delamere
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/03/23 17:22:36 (permalink)
Hi Suzanne,

Welcome to our little thread! You've probably read most of the replies and see that we've found some that are very close to the original. Now, I must say that, at least in Virginia, we had no blue or red in our mix. Interesting! I'd sure try yours if they still make them. Love to see what the clove is like. No, ours were pink, yellow, light orange, green and white.

Thanks so much for your message, and think I'll see if they have a website.

Barbara
suzanne0827
Junior Burger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/03/24 12:15:05 (permalink)
I've tried to find a website for them in the past but was unable to find it. The candies were just as you described, though, and were delicious. They were sold by weight. Let me know if they still make them!
Delamere
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/03/24 12:27:13 (permalink)
Interesting! I'll let you know if I call and order from them.

Barbara
RubyRose
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/03/24 16:57:00 (permalink)
Clove sounds like it would be a good flavor for those. I have off work until Monday so might make another batch and add some oil of cloves, which I have for making clear hard candy.
Delamere
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/03/24 17:13:55 (permalink)
Boy RubyRose--my hat's off to you. Bet yours are even better then what we can get. I agree, even though clove and cinnamon were not among the original flavors I bet they'll be really good. Let us know how it turned out.
205don
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/04/11 11:43:02 (permalink)
I remember the mints. Merrimints are made from Compound Coating, not a real chocolate, as you have determined, not what you are looking for. The sherbert mints are what I remember and Lammes makes them as you know. The Crystal Freedom Creams I don't remember those colors, but they looked like the same kind of candy. I can't seem to want to part with almost $20. for 18 oz. of candy, since it probably only costs the candy company about $1.00 if that for the candy including the box. I think I'll try Ruby's receipe. In fact I sent it to our candy maker to make for me, I cheat! LOL
Delamere
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/04/11 12:59:06 (permalink)
Hi 205don

"I can't seem to want to part with almost $20. for 18 oz. of candy"

Guess it works out close to that. I paid $3.99 for 7 oz which certainly kept me satisfied initially. The company said the self life isn't that good, so I didn't want to get a larger amount anyway. I'll order again when the urge strikes. Thought they were as close to the original taste as I've found so far.

I contacted Lammes, but they don't make mints anymore, and never made different flavors when they did. Many years ago they did carry them, but the woman I spoke with said they got them from another source, but couldn't remember where.

Anyway, I'm sure RubyRose's recipe will be great....I'm just not that adventuresome. Let us know how they turned out.

Delamere
suzanne0827
Junior Burger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/04/11 14:00:25 (permalink)
delamere, did you try the corn crib candy shop that i told you about? i'm sure they're the same candy, and they're handmade. they have the corrugated bottom and melt in your mouth. they have the extra flavours because they make them there themselves.
Delamere
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/04/11 14:09:51 (permalink)
Hi Suzanne----No, I didn't----don't even know if I tried to find a website. I'll go do that now. Thanks for the reminder.
Delamere
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/04/11 14:21:34 (permalink)
Hi Suzanne,

I did a "Google" for them, but couldn't come up with either an address or website so I called them. Unfortunately there was no answer and no machine. If you find out any other information please let me know, and in the meantime I'll try them tomorrow.
splady
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/09/04 12:49:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Delamere

Hi Suzanne,

I did a "Google" for them, but couldn't come up with either an address or website so I called them. Unfortunately there was no answer and no machine. If you find out any other information please let me know, and in the meantime I'll try them tomorrow.

I can't believe it.....I have been searching for these mints for the last few year. My grandmother lived in Keyport, NJ and she used to get them all the time(60's and 70's). When my dad became ill I looked for them on the web for old times sake. I remember the white box, the thin half dollar size colored mints, the smooth harder outer shell with the softer middle(not soft but softer than the outside), ridges on the bottom. They melted in your mouth. My grandma used to get the french shaped mints also, I don't remember them as well. I have enjoyed looking at everyones responses. So what is the final verdict? Were the ones with the waffle bottom close enough?

Please someone let me know!
Delamere
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/09/04 15:11:08 (permalink)
Hi Splady,

You know it's been a few months now, but yes, I think it was worth it. They did taste similar to the ones I remember as a teenager back in Virginia.

I was checking the Vermont Store site the other day, and although they have the very same long white "windowed" box, with the same 5 colors they do not have the different flavors, BUT on the same page is another candy mint smaller and chunkier in some sort of a shape that supposedly does have the different flavors. I haven't tried them yet, but all in all I was pleased with the ones I got from Herbert's Candy Store, and thanks for the reminder----time for another order I think.

Delamere (Barbara)
samiam
Junior Burger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/10/31 17:37:28 (permalink)
quote:

Hi,

I wonder if anyone here is old enough to remember a mint candy wafer that came in a long box. This was back in the 50s and 60s. I remember them when I lived in northern Virginia. I think there were about 5 different colors each in it's own section of the box. There were white ones (peppermint) green (lime), pink (spearmint, I think), sort of an orange color one and a yellow one which was lemon. They were each about the size if a silver dollar and the backside of each mint had ridges like the potato chips. I cannot for the life of me remember the name, and would love to know if they're still around. The Vermont store had something like them a couple of years ago, but when I called to ask if each color had a distinctive taste they said no, so don't think they were the same.

Thanks everyone for any help you can give me.

Delamere
samiam
Junior Burger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/10/31 17:52:15 (permalink)
Just read your message...did you ever find out the name of those candies....they were Merrimints and yes, Vermont Country Store has them in their Christmas 2005 catalog. samiam

quote:

Hi,

I wonder if anyone here is old enough to remember a mint candy wafer that came in a long box. This was back in the 50s and 60s. I remember them when I lived in northern Virginia. I think there were about 5 different colors each in it's own section of the box. There were white ones (peppermint) green (lime), pink (spearmint, I think), sort of an orange color one and a yellow one which was lemon. They were each about the size if a silver dollar and the backside of each mint had ridges like the potato chips. I cannot for the life of me remember the name, and would love to know if they're still around. The Vermont store had something like them a couple of years ago, but when I called to ask if each color had a distinctive taste they said no, so don't think they were the same.

Thanks everyone for any help you can give me.

Delamere
Delamere
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/10/31 18:14:33 (permalink)
Hello Samiam,

Thanks for the reply. As far as the company's name, I don't think we ever came up with the exact name, but we finally found this company ( http://www.hebertcandies.com/) who comes close to the taste and look of the "real" ones.

As far as the Vermont Store, yes, they do have the candies, and they're in the long box with the windows and the colors are even the same, but they are NOT different flavors. All colors are the same taste. I called them and asked. Now, they do have another candy that's shaped differently that they (the catalog) says are different flavors. I haven't tried them yet.

Delamere
Grammas53
Junior Burger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/11/01 12:45:52 (permalink)
I remember those, too. Those Crystal Mints do look an awful lot like them! I would love to know if that is them, Delamere. Could you let me know if they are?
Delamere
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/11/01 12:48:35 (permalink)
Hi Grammas53,

I'm sorry, which Crystal Mints....from where?
Grammas53
Junior Burger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/11/01 12:52:07 (permalink)
Merrimints, I guess. Which ones did you say you ordered?
Grammas53
Junior Burger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/11/01 12:54:09 (permalink)
Hey, does anyone remember MilkShake bars? Why did they take those off the market?
Delamere
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/11/01 13:07:19 (permalink)
I got mine from http://www.hebertcandies.com/ . The candy is called "Pastel Mints" and the price is 7 oz for $3.95. The candy is NOT on their site, but can be ordered from their toll free number which is (866) 432-3781 extension 243. If that number isn't correct let me know and I'll do it again.

Good luck,

Delamere
dasl_4
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 187
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/11/02 17:19:07 (permalink)
Delamere .... I have been reading this topic for months. I love french creams ... but I decided to join to tell you that Vermont Country store is making the merriments in different flavors. Someone beat me to it but you told them they are not diff. flavors .. check out the link and see that they are new new new .. hope you all like them :) .. here is the description ..
In our quest to find Merrimints for our customers, we were surprised to learn these once popular candies are no longer being made. Unwilling to let yet another classic confection slip into oblivion, we had a candy maker produce these pastel mints to look, feel, and taste just like their now defunct counterparts. Everything from the crystal-to-creamy melt-in-your-mouth texture and sweet, refreshing flavors to the ridges on one side are exactly the same. Each box contains peppermint, wintergreen, lemon, and spearmint flavored mints. 1 lb. box contains approx 16 mints of each flavor. (Gift wrap not available.)]http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=31398&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=38&iSubCat=179&iProductID=31398
Delamere
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/11/02 17:36:28 (permalink)
Wow Dasl,

This is really wonderful news! All I know is when I first started this I called them and was told that although they were different colors, they were all one flavor. I finally forgot about it and then later decided to call them back thinking that whoever I talked to didn't know what they were talking about, but again I was told that they didn't have different flavors. That's when I started on my search for other sources.

Thanks soooo much for the "heads up" and I'm going to order some after I get off this thread.

My apologies to Samiam for believing him/her.

Delamere
Diner-Lover
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 246
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/11/03 00:29:58 (permalink)
It was great to find this thread the other day since I grew up in a family of Merrimint-lovers. I bought the ones Vermont Country Store sold that had all the same flavor a few Christmases ago and gave them as gifts to my parents and sister, but we were all disappointed that the flavors weren't what we remembered. So this is exciting to hear that VCS is now carrying mints so similar to Merrimints, and I plan to order them for my family this Christmas. Thanks for the link, dasl, and for starting the thread, Delamere.
RubyRose
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/11/03 07:40:00 (permalink)
Geez, Delamere, I can't believe it. I wonder if the Vermont Store people read your thread and saw sales possibilities! They sure look exactly like them. I'm ordering some for sure (jumping up and down with glee this morning).
Delamere
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/11/03 12:32:30 (permalink)
Hi Diner-Lover and Ruby Rose,

I know, isn't this great! I know what you mean Diner-Lover. I almost made the same mistake, but fortunately called first to check.

Now I must warn you---better go to the bank first, and take out a loan. These little "puppies" must be made of gold. My one box is $19.95 and with tax it'll come to over $20.00. Boy I hope and pray they're worth it :-).

As far as VS reading this forum---could be. I know one of the times I called I told them a bunch of us from the site were on a search to find them. Now the weird thing is I think they do/did make another pastel mint candy. They're shaped like little chunky leaves or fruit????---some sort of a shape like that I think, and according to their catalog they DO come in the flavors we're talking about. I was so hooked on finding the "originals" I guess I never saw them.

Anyway my box has been ordered so I'll give a report once I've had a chance to check them out.

Delamere
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 12
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1