The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Looking for the name of a candy

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 5 of 12, messages 121 to 150 of 332
Diner-Lover

• Total Posts: 246
RE: Looking for the name of a candy Thu, 11/3/05 1:35 PM (permalink)
Wow, they do sound a little expensive, Delamere, but it'll be worth it to have a taste of the past! (Maybe I'll have my parents and sister share a box... ) I'll look forward to your report when you get your order. And here's the chunky candy you mentioned from the Vermont Country Store:

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=10314&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=38&iSubCat=179&iProductID=10314

Delamere

• Total Posts: 105
    RE: Looking for the name of a candy Thu, 11/3/05 1:50 PM (permalink)

Thanks Diner-Lover for the link. Yup, those are the ones. Interesting isn't it. These are more money than the round wafter, and yet it appears the taste and flavors are the same. Wonder besides the shape what the difference is if any?

Ljbud44

• Total Posts: 19
      RE: Looking for the name of a candy Mon, 11/7/05 12:36 AM (permalink)
      Hi all,
      I was so excited tonight while searching again for these mints to be lead here! I've been looking for these for years and years. I had checked out Lammes candies, but their price is just way too high. Even for the memory.
      I found this web site; http://www.roadfood.com/register/activateregistration.aspx and though they have the same shiny appearance they say "it's white chocolate" flavored with peppermint oil. Need to call them and check it out first.
      The ones I remember where just melt in your mouth creamy sugar with the ridges on the bottom. And I thought too each had a different flavor. It appears the Vermont Candy store now has them.
      I was also excited while reading here someone mention the french creams. I had forgotten all about those. Now I will pay the price some those.
      Has anyone found the mint patties anywhere else that come close anywhere other than the VCS?
      Laurie

Delamere

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Mon, 11/7/05 12:29 PM (permalink)
        Hi LJBud44,

Glad you found us. To answer your question about someone else who makes these. Don't think any of us here have tried the "new" ones from VS yet although I did place an order. Anyway, here's another place that I did receive the candy, and they were really quite good also not as expensive as VS. See information below.

Name of the company is Hebert's Candies. The phone number is--
        888 476-6467 x243. If I remember correctly the candy is less than $4.00 a box. The web address is: www.hebertcandies.com. The mints are NOT on their website so you have to ask for them. I'm not sure, but I think they refer to them as pastel mints. Anyway I'm sure the people will know what you're talking about. BTW these do not have the ridges and are smaller than the originals, but the flavor was pretty darn good.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Delamere

splady

• Total Posts: 4
          RE: Looking for the name of a candy Tue, 11/8/05 6:28 PM (permalink)
          I just received the mints from www.hebertcandies.com called Pastel Mints....They are close but not quite the same: smaller, a little harder than I remember and too many flavors. They arrived packaged as if they were gold. I bought two boxes and they came in a 2 foot crate with ice packs.

But these are much closer that the sherbert mints from Vermont County Store. I also ordered those and they looked promising but they tasted like white chocolate.

These mints I just bouoght have ridges on the back but in a grid pattern and the mints are a little miss-shaped, not perfectly round like I remember them. The texture is close like dried frosting but not creamy enough in the middle.

I have hope for the new ones that are $20.00 are closer to what we are looking for. Pricey if they are not the right ones.

Can you believe we are all looking for this mint because it was a happy part of our youth or childhood. My Grandmother loved these mints and she would bring them out at @5 pm when they had cocktails and I had an RC cola.

Our memories are triggered by many things-- food being one of the most remembered experiences. All celebrations have food traditions.

Are we all dissappointed we can't bring back the memories along with the mints. Maybe we are searching for our youth. Ok enough of my rambling on....you would think I was a nutcase or something. No just a 47 year old little girl trying to bring back the memories of my Grandparents. And share these mints with my family! Silly isn't it.

Let me know if anyone tried the latest mints.
          Stephanie

Delamere

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Tue, 11/8/05 6:43 PM (permalink)
            Oh what a hoot Stephanie!

You're so right about trying to relive our childhood memories. It's funny just how many of those memories at least for me are encased in food. I have no idea why that's so, but I remember almost every restaurant, holiday dinners, drive-in food experiences of my youth. I even remember what I had for "rest" period in "Tiny Tot School"----saltine crackers and pineapple/grapefruit juice. Weird, just weird. Don't have that great a memory for other things from years gone by, but boy do I remember what I use to eat. :-)

Ok, now that's strange about Herberts. When I got my order it just arrived like almost any other order----nothing special. I do remember the different flavors, but don't remember there were more than the 5 originals we were talking about. Could be. They were just the closest thing I'd found so far that they tasted good to me even though they were much smaller.

As far as the VS ones. I knew not to oder theirs that were advertised for so long since I had called them and they told me they were all one flavor even though the colors were different.

I also ordered the "new" ones from VS, but haven't received them yet. For $20+ dollars they'd better be good.

Keep us posted if you receive your order before the rest of us.

Barbara

Great reading your memories. Mints with cocktails!!!! Now that sounds wonderful----you can have the RC :-)

splady

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Tue, 11/8/05 6:58 PM (permalink)
              I can remember what I had 20 years ago at a family dinner but can't tell you what I had for dinner last week. Silly isn't it! I am going to order the new mints later this week so keep your fingers crossed. I talked to one of the store reps and she said they were hard on the outside but will melt in your mouth.

Have a great evening.

Ljbud44

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Thu, 11/10/05 12:25 AM (permalink)
                Oh Splady you had me scared there for a minute when you said the VS sherbert mints weren't too good. I had just placed an order and had to quickly check it to see which ones I had ordered. Thankfully they were their new Pastel mints. Otherwise for 20 bucks I would of cancelled toot~sweet! However the mints are out of stock until 12/5. Like waiting 25 years isn't enough!!
                I also order the French creams. Someone in an earlier thread had mentioned these and when I saw them I had to have them. Oh the power of suggestion! I had forgotten (don't know when) all about these. They're right up there with the Merriments for me.
                I've had so much fun seaching for these nostagia candies and finding others I've forgotten about. One was the Modjeska's. Reading the origin of these I realized I've got a good friend in Kentucky and she found them and hooked me up, she'll be able to send me twice the amount for half the price. I say cut out the middleman whenever possible.
                But thanks to you guys, kindred spirits in the quest for Merriments. I thought I was the only nut. No one else ever seemed to know what I was talking about.

Laurie
                p.s has anyone tried making Rubyrose's recipe yet?

dasl_4

• Total Posts: 187
                  RE: Looking for the name of a candy Thu, 11/10/05 11:10 AM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by Ljbud44

I also order the French creams. Someone in an earlier thread had mentioned these and when I saw them I had to have them. But thanks to you guys, kindred spirits in the quest for Merriments. I thought I was the only nut. No one else ever seemed to know what I was talking about.

Plz let me know if the French creams are yummy when you get them.

Ljbud44

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Thu, 11/10/05 12:13 PM (permalink)
                    You bet I will Dasl_4. I got an email yesterday saying they shipped them, so here's hoping it's soon.

Laurie

crysta1

• Total Posts: 1
                      RE: Looking for the name of a candy Fri, 11/11/05 3:50 PM (permalink)
                      Hi all,

Wow, it was great to see the whole discussion of Merrimints. I was really disappointed that the Vermont store didn't include the orange ones; they were my favorites. Whoever it was that related the way they felt when you bit into them as being like the maple sugar candies was dead on! Speaking of which I found something similar at the Wenham tea house in MA a couple years ago; they weren't mints but they had the same sugar crust on the outside, creamy sugar on the inside, feel. They were in the form of molded flowers. I remember them as being hand made but could never locate anything like them. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
                      Crysta1

dasl_4

• Total Posts: 187
                        RE: Looking for the name of a candy Fri, 11/11/05 7:31 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by crysta1

Hi all,

Wow, it was great to see the whole discussion of Merrimints. I was really disappointed that the Vermont store didn't include the orange ones; they were my favorites. Whoever it was that related the way they felt when you bit into them as being like the maple sugar candies was dead on! Speaking of which I found something similar at the Wenham tea house in MA a couple years ago; they weren't mints but they had the same sugar crust on the outside, creamy sugar on the inside, feel. They were in the form of molded flowers. I remember them as being hand made but could never locate anything like them. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
                        Crysta1

Hi crysta .. the French creams available from the Vermont Country store are just like the maple candies and in either mint flavors or fruit flavors http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=31475&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=38&iSubCat=179&iProductID=31475
                        http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=10314&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=38&iSubCat=179&iProductID=10314

Ljbud44

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Tue, 11/15/05 3:15 PM (permalink)
                          Ok guys I got the french creams today and yes they are yummy! Crystalized sugar on the outside and creamy on the inside just like I remember. The flavors are spearmint, lemon, orange, wintergreen and peppermint. But...remember in my last post when I mentioned cut out the middle man whenever possible? This is where VCS orders from:http://www.oliverscandies.com/ at a considerbly higher cost. I paid $22.95 for these from VSC and just got off the phone with Olivers and ordered two more boxes, regular and fruit flavors for $16.95 a box! The gal there tells me each candy is hand made. And I should have my order in 3 to 4. She also tells me the shelf life will be fine through the holidays.
                          I warned her they may be getting some calls for these after I put the word out. LOL
                          When you go to Olivers web~site type in "french creams" this way you'll see all the choices.
                          Still waiting on my Pastel mints from VCS though. Thinking of ordering some from Herbert's. Has anyone else and what are your recommendations?

mouth full trying each one.
                          Laurie

Delamere

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Tue, 11/15/05 5:37 PM (permalink)
                            Hi Ljbud44,

First of all a large BRAVO to you for finding this other source. Can't wait to look at their site. Wonder if they also do the Merrimints.

Yes, I ordered from Herbert's. The taste was good; however the candies were smaller, but then again, so was the price. Think I spent about 4 for the candies plus shipping.

I'm still waiting for the mints from VCS, but don't think they'll come till after the holiday. If you get yours before Thanksgiving let us know.

Delamere

Ljbud44

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Tue, 11/15/05 8:51 PM (permalink)
                              Well Delamere when I called them to place my order one of the very first things I did ask was whether they had the Merriments or anything similar. She didn't know what I was talking about.
                              Thanks for the heads up on Hebert's, I think I might just give them a try too.

Laurie

Delamere

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Tue, 11/15/05 10:23 PM (permalink)
                                Hi Laurie,

I just looked at my VCS catalog and while reading their description on the merrimints I noticed that there were only 4 flavors! Boo! Seems like the orange one is missing. Think I'll give them a call tomorrow and "complain". Seems to me someone else on this thread mentioned the orange not there also.

That reminds me there was also another flat mint that I think either Russel Stover or Whitman's put out. I may be wrong about the company, but I remember they did a bunch of candies that came in long flat boxes and were always on one of the corner ends of the local drug stores. Unfortunately they're no long around either.

So many candies, so little time-----sigh

Barbara

Ljbud44

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Tue, 11/15/05 11:54 PM (permalink)

Oh Barbara so right you are, so many candies and so little time. I spend a lot of time looking for nostalgia candy. Almost like a hobby. Kind of like a walk down memory lane. I get a kick out of finding a long lost love I forgot all about like the french creams. When I told my Dad who's terminal about finding the french creams and pastel mints he too was thrilled. I can't wait to share these with him for the holidays. These were the candies I had as a child at his parents house. So it brings back memories for him too.
                                  Your right I think too there was an orange one. I also remember you mentioning the white wasn't your favorite, not mine either.
                                  I noticed in the VCS catalog the Boyer Smoothie, again go to the source. I ordered a case of these from Boyer and froze them. They last a long long time in the freezer. I've had some for a year or more. But I do find here in Michigan many places are bringing back the nostalgia candies.
                                  I never cared for Russell Stover candies, but Whitman's Sampler was always a winner. I usually get one each Christmas. However, I don't remember either ever having the mints, just chocolates.
                                  Well here's hoping our mints come soon from VSC and they're worth the wait.

Laurie

Delamere

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Wed, 11/16/05 12:41 PM (permalink)
                                    I know Laurie, it's so much fun to relive the memories of our youth especially when it has to do with food. As I said in a previous reply, for some weird reason I'm able to remember so many experiences that had to do with food growing up, and I cannot for the life of me remember other things which probably would be considered major events.

As far as the other mints I was mentioning, I'm sure they came in very shiny white boxes (no window) as did the other members of their candy. All the boxes in this line were small. Small square, small rectangle etc. Think there were some nut whatevers, and other chocolate ones, and then these odd balls that I'm almost positive were pastels wafers. I pretty sure it was a Russel Stover line, and, as you, RS wasn't a favorite candy of mine, but this particular mint was very good and a good substitute for the merriments I couldn't find. It's only been within the last couple of years they disappeared I think.

Anyway, as far as the orange merrimints, you bet there was a very light color orange one, but I'm not positive it was a fruit orange flavor. If so it was slight.

Part of the fun of Whitman's was being able to read the top inside of the box lid to see where all the good ones were. Loved the honeycomb, and also all the dark ones.

essvee

• Total Posts: 425
                                      RE: Looking for the name of a candy Wed, 11/16/05 12:51 PM (permalink)
                                      Forgive me if this has been mentioned, but the ones I remember were, I think, not sold in stores, but were promotional in nature, i.e. you bought them from the PTA or some such.

Delamere

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Wed, 11/16/05 5:47 PM (permalink)
                                        OK boys and girls,

I just received my "merrimint" wafer order from VCS today. I was going to wait for awhile to open it, but what can I say I just couldn't do it....Greed got the better of me :-).

All right.....when I opened the outside box I noticed that the inner box was bubble wrapped which I thought was certainly a gooooood thing. I also noticed that it seemed extremely heavy or at least much heavier than what I remembered. I opened the lid and what to my wandering eyes should appear, but maybe 40 or so wafer mints ALL STUCK TOGETHER!!!! I'm NOT kidding you, there were no spacers used so they all stuck together.

I tried to pull one apart to taste it, and it broke in half. Finally got two that were stuck together, and thought what the heck I'll just try it anyway.

I don't know, I guess I'm so upset about how they arrived I can't tell you what they really taste like, but trying to be as objective as possible, I still don't think they're what I remember. I know time can certainly dim memories, but these are, well, I don't know....just not THAT different flavor wise. I mean they are different, but just not the same. Also as you know, there are no orange ones.

I think I'll wait until one of the rest of you gets their order, and maybe you'll have a better experience. I'm EXTREMELY disappointed :-(

june61644

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Wed, 11/16/05 7:01 PM (permalink)
                                          I would email the company and let them know you are unhappy
                                          how they arrived for that much money i expect better
                                          i also searched for years for merrimints and french creams
                                          brach use to make an excellent french cream around christmas time
                                          after years of searching i found french creams on a website in canada
                                          i ordered and guess childhood memories are different cause they were yucky
                                          so if anyone says the french creams from olivers is excellent then i will order

Delamere

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Wed, 11/16/05 9:07 PM (permalink)
                                            Hi June,

Yeah, pretty discouraging I must say. Think I'll call them tomorrow, and if they want me to follow with an email I will. Don't think I'll even take another box if offered from them since I wasn't that impressed with the taste either.

The box says "Olivers" on it, so obviously that's who's making them for VCS.

Good luck, perhaps the French Cremes will be better....hope so.

Barbara (Delamere)

Ljbud44

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Thu, 11/17/05 12:27 AM (permalink)
                                              June I can say a big YES on the french creams I ordered from VCS (which actually came from Oliver's ~ link posted is in a previous thread above from me) are excellent! In fact I immedialty called Oliver's and order two more boxes, one of each flavor.

Barbara, did you say the merriments you just received had Oliver's name on the box? Interesting because like I told you they didn't know what I was talking about. hummm Now the merriments I'm waiting for from VCS are the ones they said they had especially made for those looking for Merriments. Are those the same ones you ordered?

I still need to try Hebert's but I've spent so much money already trying all these other places.

Laurie

Ljbud44

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Thu, 11/17/05 12:33 AM (permalink)
                                                Oh and p.s. Barbara I would absolutely call them and complain. My goodness to wait this long and spend that kind of money just to be dissapointed. No way!
                                                Their guarantee> "We guarantee our merchandise to your satifaction. We will exchange any item you return or promptly refund your money."
                                                They even include a return label along with a postage paid label on your statement. Go for it.

Good luck.

Laurie

Linda Gebhardt

• Total Posts: 61
                                                  RE: Looking for the name of a candy Thu, 11/17/05 8:50 AM (permalink)
                                                  Trytuckscandy.com its a local candy shop in Rockport, MA that has tipped mints that look like what your looking for. They have been around for many years and have great fudge, along with many other selections of candy.When you go to the home page go to sweet selections and scroll down. I hope this helps.

Delamere

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Thu, 11/17/05 12:20 PM (permalink)
                                                    Good Morning Laurie,

Yup! I ordered the "merrimints" for VCS and they came in a long rectangle white box, NO window and had the name "Olivers" written in white script in a dark blue horizontal oval on the top. To the right of the name is printed "Pastel Mints" and then on the side of the box is an address in New York.

Only thing I can think of is they're (Olivers) making them for VCS.

Can't wait for you to get yours and hope you have better luck than I did, and yes, I'll call VCS and return them.

Barbara

Delamere

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Thu, 11/17/05 12:26 PM (permalink)
                                                      Thanks Linda for the "heads up". I'll check with Tucks.

Barbara

Ljbud44

• Location: Ann Arbor, MI
                                                        RE: Looking for the name of a candy Thu, 11/17/05 2:36 PM (permalink)
                                                        Well I'll be darned Barbara I'll have to call Oliver's and see what's up. Perhaps I just got someone who wasn't familar with their selection. I'll describe to them what you said and also get a catalog.
                                                        I do hope mine come in better condition.

ttfn,
                                                        Laurie

Delamere

• Location: Ft. Bragg, CA
                                                          RE: Looking for the name of a candy Thu, 11/17/05 2:42 PM (permalink)
                                                          Laurie,

You may find it's a relationship between VCS and Olivers just for this particular candy and is only carried by VCS. At least that's my guess.

Barbara

Ljbud44

• Location: Ann Arbor, MI
                                                            RE: Looking for the name of a candy Thu, 11/17/05 3:01 PM (permalink)
                                                            Ok Barbara here's the scoop. I'm on the phone with Oliver's now and your right at the moment they do only make them for VCS exclusively, and they are on back order because they are hand~made and they can't keep up with the amount VCS have requested. So I'm told they won't even be available again until Jan.
                                                            They call them "creme wafers" not pastel or merriments.
                                                            She told me how surprised they were at the amount of orders they have gotten for these. I told her VCS charges a great deal for these and if they would sell to the public they'd sell a lot more. Because once we satisfied our taste for them for the price VCS is charging we probably would not buy them very often. Although she didn't know what the price was that Oliver's charges.
                                                            I also informed her also how dissapointed you were with the condition of your candies. Not that she could do anything about it.
                                                            So guess I'll still wait for mine from VCS and check with Oliver's in Jan.

Laurie

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 5 of 12, messages 121 to 150 of 332

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com